Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 169112 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #640 on: March 21, 2020, 02:20:51 pm »
Is anyone having Sky Broadband issues in the Merseyside area recently? My computer is so slow at the moment.

https://www.speedtest.net/

Run the test and post results

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #641 on: March 21, 2020, 02:36:19 pm »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: April 23, 2020, 12:20:12 pm »
This might not apply to everyone, but when I logged into my Sky account last week and viewed the 'Offers & Upgrades' it was offering the 'Ultimate on Demand' for £6, with UHD for £1 on top. (Ultimate on Demand is Sky On Demand & Netflix bundled together).

Nothing completely amazing there, but when I selected the Ultimate on Demand, it only showed my monthly price increasing by £3 not £6 and greyed out the £1 UHD add-on and said 'You already have this'

Once I proceeded through and viewed all the billing, whilst it did add £6 for Ultimate on Demand, it dropped my Multiroom sub by £1.50 and converted my Sky Entertainment to Sky Signature and made that £1.50 cheaper as well.

So in short, I got Netflix Premium for £3 a month and just linked it to the Netflix Premium Account I already was paying £6 a month for.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: April 23, 2020, 04:00:23 pm »
This might not apply to everyone, but when I logged into my Sky account last week and viewed the 'Offers & Upgrades' it was offering the 'Ultimate on Demand' for £6, with UHD for £1 on top. (Ultimate on Demand is Sky On Demand & Netflix bundled together).

Nothing completely amazing there, but when I selected the Ultimate on Demand, it only showed my monthly price increasing by £3 not £6 and greyed out the £1 UHD add-on and said 'You already have this'

Once I proceeded through and viewed all the billing, whilst it did add £6 for Ultimate on Demand, it dropped my Multiroom sub by £1.50 and converted my Sky Entertainment to Sky Signature and made that £1.50 cheaper as well.

So in short, I got Netflix Premium for £3 a month and just linked it to the Netflix Premium Account I already was paying £6 a month for.

Had noticed a new thing on my offers the other day:

They want to offer me sky signature & UHD for £6.30 extra a month.

I already have everything except the kids channels (including netflix, ultimate on demand box sets & UHD) on my package. I fail to see what I'm getting for £6.30 extra a month

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #644 on: April 24, 2020, 03:20:35 pm »

Thanks for highlighting this. It’s reduced my monthly bill by £8.50 for basically the same package as far as I can see.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: May 16, 2020, 02:52:54 am »
I paused my sky sports sub whilst there was no live sports. I didn’t have sky sports extra to have BT, but thinking of adding it on tomorrow to watch the Bundesliga. Does anyone know if I add that will my regular sky sports package kick back in and I’ll have to pay for that too? Or will I be able to just pay for the extra package?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: May 28, 2020, 12:48:22 pm »
Sky went live with some HDR content this week. Just some nature documentaries to start with.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #647 on: May 28, 2020, 07:53:47 pm »
They have a collaboration with the History Channel going on, idownloaded 8 episodes of Hitler's war for my lockdown viewing in the afternoons next week.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: May 28, 2020, 07:57:38 pm »
They have a collaboration with the History Channel going on, idownloaded 8 episodes of Hitler's war for my lockdown viewing in the afternoons next week.

You should have a look for their recent miniseries about the US Civil War,it's called Grant,they might not have it though as it only finished last night.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: May 29, 2020, 07:03:24 pm »
You should have a look for their recent miniseries about the US Civil War,it's called Grant,they might not have it though as it only finished last night.
I'll have a look for that.

Cheers.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #650 on: June 2, 2020, 09:04:46 pm »
Can anyone tell me if they have run into an issue where their Sky Go just stops working on their laptop?

It happened to me last week and I can't get the bastard to open.  I've checked Sky forums and followed the instructions (delete Cisco VideoGuard, uninstall Sky Go, reboot, re-install it) but nothing happens, still can't get it to open

Can anyone help if it's happened to them also?

Thanks
Jay

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: June 3, 2020, 09:53:27 am »
I've been having real issues with downloaded shows on Sky Q being out of sync. They start off ok and then get progressively worse. BBC catch-up stuff tends to be the worst offender, although I don't get the problem if I go into the iPlayer app itself on Sky and watch programmes via that.

They also badly need to sort the sound level on Sky Q. Really poor quality I think, and I always have to lower the volume on my TV dramatically if I start watching something through the PS4 or the TV's inbuilt Amazon Prime/Netflix.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: June 3, 2020, 04:53:19 pm »
Can anyone tell me if they have run into an issue where their Sky Go just stops working on their laptop?

It happened to me last week and I can't get the bastard to open.  I've checked Sky forums and followed the instructions (delete Cisco VideoGuard, uninstall Sky Go, reboot, re-install it) but nothing happens, still can't get it to open

Can anyone help if it's happened to them also?

Thanks
Jay

Have a look in the error logs for your system to see if it can give you a clue what’s causing the problem.

I've been having real issues with downloaded shows on Sky Q being out of sync. They start off ok and then get progressively worse. BBC catch-up stuff tends to be the worst offender, although I don't get the problem if I go into the iPlayer app itself on Sky and watch programmes via that.

They also badly need to sort the sound level on Sky Q. Really poor quality I think, and I always have to lower the volume on my TV dramatically if I start watching something through the PS4 or the TV's inbuilt Amazon Prime/Netflix.

What do you mean by out of sync? Sound?

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #653 on: June 3, 2020, 05:31:51 pm »
Have a look in the error logs for your system to see if it can give you a clue what’s causing the problem.

Thanks, I'll give that a go

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: June 4, 2020, 09:51:36 am »

What do you mean by out of sync? Sound?

Yeah, the sound. Programmes I've recorded start out ok but just slowly start going out of sync until it's really clear that the sound and picture aren't matching up. Usually if I come out the recording, then go back in, it improves but again after five minutes or so it happens again. Like I said, BBC catch-up stuff seems to be the worst culprit for some reason.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: June 4, 2020, 07:11:23 pm »
Yeah, the sound. Programmes I've recorded start out ok but just slowly start going out of sync until it's really clear that the sound and picture aren't matching up. Usually if I come out the recording, then go back in, it improves but again after five minutes or so it happens again. Like I said, BBC catch-up stuff seems to be the worst culprit for some reason.

I've noticed this on Sky Q too.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: June 5, 2020, 04:03:29 pm »

How long have you had the box and how full is the disk? I would try the standard swapping cables and resets, make sure the software is up to date etc. If nothing works then it might need a full reset as a last resort before asking them for a new box.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: June 6, 2020, 07:17:38 pm »
How long have you had the box and how full is the disk? I would try the standard swapping cables and resets, make sure the software is up to date etc. If nothing works then it might need a full reset as a last resort before asking them for a new box.

Nice one, cheers.

Had the box just under a year, don’t think it’s particularly full but will defo check - and try some of those others things too.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #658 on: June 10, 2020, 07:42:33 am »
Did the whole threatening to leave thing with sky.

Ended up with 3 boxes, full package, including netflix for £63 per month.  Thought that was ok.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: June 22, 2020, 07:23:43 pm »
Upgraded to Sky Q. Engineer came yesterday, got it working, left.  Since then the WiFi signal has been dropping out all over the place.  The satellite signal is fine, the rest of it is shite, not sure what I’m paying the extra money for other than for the exercise of having to keep rebooting my router, boosters and boxes. Crap.

It obviously works for other people/places, just not here.  I’m not paying even more money to sort out broadband as everything else works fine.  They’ll have to comeback and downgrade my dish back to SkyHD+ or I’m fucking off to someone else.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: June 22, 2020, 07:30:52 pm »
Are you on Sky Broadband as well I assume?

I’ve had similar issues after install. Can you confirm the setup you’ve got? Sky Q box - any Sky Mini boxes? I will give you a couple of settings changes to make on the box(es) which will help.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #661 on: June 22, 2020, 08:01:49 pm »
When you search for WiFi signals do are lot of different ones show up?

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: June 22, 2020, 09:19:38 pm »
Are you on Sky Broadband as well I assume?

I’ve had similar issues after install. Can you confirm the setup you’ve got? Sky Q box - any Sky Mini boxes? I will give you a couple of settings changes to make on the box(es) which will help.

Cheers.

Sky Q box 1 mini box. I’m on BT broadband which might be part of the issue.

I frigged about with it a bit more and it seems stable for now.  We’ll see.  I did a software update this morning which seemed to throw the whole system into utter chaos.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #663 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:56 pm »
Did the whole threatening to leave thing with sky.

Ended up with 3 boxes, full package, including netflix for £63 per month.  Thought that was ok.

I don't know if it was because of the whole Covid-19 thing, but before my contract ended, they offered me the same deal as I got last year, but for 18 months this time.  Normally I have to ring up and cancel before being offered something better.  £32 for everything apart from Cinema.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: June 22, 2020, 11:26:56 pm »
Upgraded to Sky Q. Engineer came yesterday, got it working, left.  Since then the WiFi signal has been dropping out all over the place.  The satellite signal is fine, the rest of it is shite, not sure what I’m paying the extra money for other than for the exercise of having to keep rebooting my router, boosters and boxes. Crap.

It obviously works for other people/places, just not here.  I’m not paying even more money to sort out broadband as everything else works fine.  They’ll have to comeback and downgrade my dish back to SkyHD+ or I’m fucking off to someone else.

Set your boxes to have a static IP address (can't remember exactly how but google it). Helps a lot.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #665 on: June 23, 2020, 02:04:15 pm »
Right...

Currently we have BT infinity broad band, phone line, sky (without the cinema), BT sport (sd).

We never make landline calls...

Can I get exactly the same service for far cheaper?  There must be a way?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #666 on: June 23, 2020, 03:15:53 pm »
Right...

Currently we have BT infinity broad band, phone line, sky (without the cinema), BT sport (sd).

Depends what it is far cheaper than  ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: June 23, 2020, 03:21:56 pm »
the cheapest is always to get it as one package but that's not always possible/desirable. Sky is probably going to be cheapest to roll all that up, you can get BT sport off them and add ons so you get netflix for £6 etc.

If their broadband was better in our area I'd probably do that but it's shite in comparison to virgin.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: June 23, 2020, 04:16:16 pm »
the cheapest is always to get it as one package but that's not always possible/desirable. Sky is probably going to be cheapest to roll all that up, you can get BT sport off them and add ons so you get netflix for £6 etc.

If their broadband was better in our area I'd probably do that but it's shite in comparison to virgin.
Cheers...

Our current set up costs us a fortune... silly money.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #669 on: June 26, 2020, 02:57:06 am »
"I work with the guy, he's not my friend."

That's kept my custom.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #670 on: July 7, 2020, 07:39:16 pm »
Right...

I pay nearly £80 a month for my Sky package (not including cinema) plus £16.00 a month for BT sports (not HD).  I've got BT FTTP plus landline which comes in at about £40 a month.

I've been a Sky customer for more than 15 years now and every time my contract is up, I tell them I am quitting and they give me a discount.  Thing is, I've seen BTTV now for £55 a month including all HD Sky Sports, HD BT Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Entertainment and a fancy new recording box - mine is more than 10 years old.

From £96 to £55 a month seems a no-brainer but I wanted to see what other people thought of it that have it.

My fibre speed is 120Mbps + so should cope I think.

My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: July 7, 2020, 07:46:14 pm »
Interesting
W

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #672 on: July 7, 2020, 07:57:07 pm »
Interesting

Just checked and it's the VIP package I was looking at.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: August 12, 2020, 11:35:22 am »
Is Sky Q and is it worth getting Netflix via Sky or separately?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: August 12, 2020, 11:38:22 am »
Think it depends on the package you have. I added it a few months ago and with what I already had it meant I got Netflix Premium for about £3 a month

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: August 12, 2020, 11:53:58 am »
I pay £6.50 or something for it, still half of what I was paying Netflix directly, if you have kids then you might be able to get that and Disney+ for what you'd currently be paying just for Netflix.

SkyQ itself is very good, the box is really snappy and easy to use.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: August 12, 2020, 06:13:30 pm »
Thanks both. Installation is only £20 compared to £149 last year.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #677 on: August 12, 2020, 06:22:19 pm »
On Sky Q Netflix is integrated into search when you get it through Sky which makes it nicer to find stuff across both services. Disney+ is not so nicely bound.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: August 21, 2020, 09:14:29 pm »
So I've had sky broadband (fibre max) & Sky+ TV package for years and now considering switching to BT.  BT package is more competitive by a reasonable amount & includes BT sport (used to have that through sky but binned it during covid lockdown, plus we were out of CL).  It does involve installation of an aerial and reliance it appears on broadband for some TV coverage (sky sports etc through Now TV I think).  I'd guess sky may offer some sort of discount to counter.

No idea on how each compares service wise, ie like trying to get hold of someone on the phone should something go wrong.  Sky has been impossible through the covid lockdown and even now its website advises not to call.  Only contact I generally have from sky is when it advises of price increases.  I got through to BT easy enough last week, hence the proposal, although I recall they were also impossible to contact during lockdown.  The hassle of switching has put me off previously.

Any views on which is best re broadband, tv and after sales?  I'd assume same/similar may have been asked before so if apt a link to the apt thread may suffice.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #679 on: August 22, 2020, 01:49:20 am »
So I've had sky broadband (fibre max) & Sky+ TV package for years and now considering switching to BT.  BT package is more competitive by a reasonable amount & includes BT sport (used to have that through sky but binned it during covid lockdown, plus we were out of CL).  It does involve installation of an aerial and reliance it appears on broadband for some TV coverage (sky sports etc through Now TV I think).  I'd guess sky may offer some sort of discount to counter.

No idea on how each compares service wise, ie like trying to get hold of someone on the phone should something go wrong.  Sky has been impossible through the covid lockdown and even now its website advises not to call.  Only contact I generally have from sky is when it advises of price increases.  I got through to BT easy enough last week, hence the proposal, although I recall they were also impossible to contact during lockdown.  The hassle of switching has put me off previously.

Any views on which is best re broadband, tv and after sales?  I'd assume same/similar may have been asked before so if apt a link to the apt thread may suffice.
Ive probably had the mirror opposite in terms of customer service. I’ve always been able to deal to someone at Sky without too much bother and generally sort whatever I needed. On the other hand with BT I’ve had difficulty trying to resolve issues with at times, I also find the bills change without warning and have had difficulty getting an explanation or getting it resolved.
I have Sky TV with BT Broadband to get BT Sports HD more cheaply, as it has been the cheapest way at least up until recently. I’ll review when my contracts up now you can get BT Sport through Sky. Otherwise I’d have everything through Sky as again it seems the cheapest option to me.
One slight caveat, I have had Sky Broadband previously and I do think BT is better for signal strength and speed, at least that how it seems to work in our house.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:51:39 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp