Author Topic: New stadium - the 96 seats  (Read 30758 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
New stadium - the 96 seats
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:25 am »
There's been some suggestions in the past that the club should leave 96 seats empty at the new stadium in tribute to those who perished at the Hillsborough Disaster. It's an idea which has been used by Olympiakos to commemorate the 21 fans who died in their Gate 7 Disaster. Today there is an article in the Mirror regarding this (see below).

Personally I am against this. I think we have a wonderfully dignified memorial already which acts as a real focus for remembrance for all fans. Also I feel having such a large block of empty seats would inhibit the atmosphere around the area - something I'd have thought the fans who died would never want.

Instead I'd like to propose an alternative 96 seats idea.

A block of 96 seats should be set aside for all games and given away free to schools in the local area on a rotational basis, allowing young fans their first glimpse of Anfield action. We all know the high cost prevents many kids getting to see the men in Red, and I think this proactive act of remembrance would be a worthier way of remembering those who perished in the act of supporting the Reds.

-----

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2007/08/21/96-empty-seats-89520-19665741/

"The 96 Liverpool fans killed in the Hillsborough disaster may have seats left empty for ever in their memory at the club's new home.

Kop chiefs are considering the poignant tribute when their £300million Stanley Park stadium opens in 2010.

The plan has been enthusiastically backed by relatives of the 96 killed in English football's worst tragedy. Phil Hammond, who lost son Phillip, 14, said: "It sounds like a good idea. It's really good of the club to be considering this.

"Hopefully the 96 seats will be in the shape of the number 96 so it really stands out from above."

The Premiership giants said it was one of a number of tributes they were mulling over ahead of the move to the 80,000-seater ground.

Club spokesman Ian Cotton said: "We're aware of the suggestions being made but nothing has been decided.

"The club is considering the proposal very carefully and will make a decision in due course." A memorial at their current Anfield home listing the victims will be moved to the new site. The 96 were crushed on terraces during an FA Cup semi-final at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.

The tragedy led to the introduction of all-seater grounds".
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:06:25 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
Re: New stadium - the 96 seats
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:38 am »
There's been some suggestions in the past that the club should leave 96 seats empty at the new stadium in tribute to those who perished at the Hillsborough Disaster. It's an idea which has been used by Olympiakos to commemorate the 21 fans who died in their Gate 7 Disaster. Today there is an article in the Mirror regarding this (see below).

Personally I am against this. I think we have a wonderfully dignified memorial already which acts as a real focus for remembrance for all fans. Also I feel having such a large block of empty seats would inhibit the atmosphere around the area - something the fans who died would never want.

Instead I'd like to propose an alternative 96 seats idea.

A block of 96 seats should be set aside for all games and given away free to schools in the local area on a rotational basis, allowing young fans their first glimpse of Anfield action. We all know the high cost prevents many kids getting to see the men in Red, and I think this proactive act of remembrance would be a worthier way of remembering those who perished in the act of supporting the Reds

well put, and a brilliant idea, far more fitting.
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:01:10 am »
I agree. I think 96 empty seats would be a bit weird. Not only that, there's some scumbags who would sit there anyway. I can see why some people would say it's a good idea, but I think people will always remember Hillsborough anyway.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:01:59 am »
i dont think this would be done......althought they could have something like 96 on one of the stands (like they have addidas now, for example)....another one i heard on here........maybe 96 beams of light around the edge of the stadium roof.....or 96 flamming-torches that never go out around the roof.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline wistycastor

• Anny Roader
  • Fuck The USA and more or less everywhere else.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:03:20 am »
I agree 100% with your idea Rushian. 96 seats donated to local kids is a more positive memorial.
OUT OF THE NORTH PARTS A GREAT COMPANY AND A MIGHTY ARMY.

Offline leighton

• adopter of peasants, spelling mistakes are the iPads fault - obviously.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter @smee05
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 11:06:48 am »
I agree 100% with your idea Rushian. 96 seats donated to local kids is a more positive memorial.

fantastic idea.
Everton fc, the slogans club. More slogans than trophies - now available in pink.

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 11:09:14 am »
I agree Rushian, perhaps these seats could be yellow and in the shape of the justice flame, so they stand out when the ground is empty/before kick off...
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline wilson_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 11:10:49 am »
i dont think this would be done......althought they could have something like 96 on one of the stands (like they have addidas now, for example)....another one i heard on here........maybe 96 beams of light around the edge of the stadium roof.....or 96 flamming-torches that never go out around the roof.

sounds like a spot on idea

i also agree with that, get the youth invovled, great idea.
dibba de do.........!

Offline Miracle@Istanbul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 11:11:11 am »
Agreed

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 11:11:32 am »
how about this..The Kop will have 95 rows.
Does anyone think they could add 1 more, making the whole stand a Hillsbrough tribute?
Maybe not even an actual row of seats, just a symbolic "Row 96"? 

Offline RED-EAZY

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:11:33 am »
not to sure on the 96 empty seats, but i do think something should be enrolled into the new stadium the flame and memorial is coming across but we have a chance here to do something a little bigger,
great idea about giving the 96 seats to schools, would probably be what would be wanted instead of leaving them empty
We don't need Gerrard against madrid anyway, they are shite

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:11 am »
Agree with Rushian- what a brilliant gesture that would be. It would be a lot more fitting as well I think.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:20 am »

Yep.......fantastic idea Rushian!  Let's hope the club feel the same way?
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline The Breadbox

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:33 am »
Rushian and Dublin Red

Brilliant ideas - very powerful

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
I'm seriously hoping the new stadium and surrounding area will have a memorial garden where the current memorial will be housed.
In the event the garden idea is taken on, Revenue from the 96 seats could pay for the upkeep of such an area and pay for a full time gardener.

I have proposed this before, but it ran out of legs.

KWB
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 11:18:27 am »
I started reading the article and was going to suggest 96 free seats for either kids or some other worthy cause (I did think Leppings survivors but this is probably difficult to verify)

Great idea - I totally agree that empty seats would not be appropriate. If they want them to stand out, they could be a different colour from the ones around. I love the effect at Barca when the ground empties and the stand reads 'Mes Que Un Club' to the away support. The in ground memorial could stand out in the same way.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Car

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 11:21:00 am »
Fantastic idea.  Support!
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." Steven Gerrard.

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:04 am »
i think 96 empty seats would be too errie. i agree with the either the 96 beams of light or flames.
i think the club should give some seats away to local schools anyway. Not sure whether the club would do anything with the seats considering how long the season ticket waiting list is.
Something needs to be done about it though.
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:35 am »
Great idea Rushian, certainly a more practical, respectful and appropriate suggestion.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 11:26:26 am »
Some really powerful and extremely moving ideas coming out of this.

The thought of some of these coming to fruition makes me want to cry.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 11:27:15 am »
Shouldn't this be a sticky?

Also, sugestions like this are pretty useless, unless people act.
If you happen to agree with Rushians sentiment's, perhaps as individulas, we should all write a polite letter to Mr Parry and show our support for this idea?

Mine will be in the post in the next day or two.

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 11:27:28 am »
I think the 96 seats will be a bit eerie, fair to put kids in them?

I'd be in favour of leaving them empty as this symbolises they are with us watching as they should have been

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 11:29:09 am »

well put, and a brilliant idea, far more fitting.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 11:31:20 am »
I think the 96 seats will be a bit eerie, fair to put kids in them?

I'd be in favour of leaving them empty as this symbolises they are with us watching as they should have been

They don't all have to be together, it's symbolic if the club make everybody aware that they are doing this.
At the same time, educating a new geneartion about what happened, in an appropriate way and at the same time giving kids the chance to watch the LFC at Anfield, as we all know, footy is becoming more and more expensive.
Liverpool has some of the most deprived areas in the UK.

Offline manchater

• Anny Roader
  • per ardua ad astra
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 11:31:37 am »
definitely give the seats to local pupils, this would be a fitting tribute to the 96 and i am sure they would want the seats to go to people who would appreciate them.
SOS Member 7030

all Liverpool fans should join the "I hate the fu***ng S*n Newspaper" on Facebook

When I go to the supermarket or newsagents I cover that rag up with other papers and  I encourage everyone else to do the same Countrywide

JFT96   YNWA     never ever buy the S*n

Offline BHB

• I'm the (new) Daddy, and a little bit hormonal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 11:31:40 am »
how about this..The Kop will have 95 rows.
Does anyone think they could add 1 more, making the whole stand a Hillsbrough tribute?
Maybe not even an actual row of seats, just a symbolic "Row 96"? 

Sounds good to me.

I just don't think the "96 empty seats" would work. Very touching in theory, impossible in practise.
A Son of Shankly

Offline Conde

• scendingly banned for being an arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 11:32:53 am »
Personally i'd think the 96 reds would want those school children to enjoy themselve aswell, this was the 96 seats are in memory of them and at the same time its doing good for the local community, personally i'd be behind 96 seats in the shape of the flame and the tickets given to local schools

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 11:35:17 am »
guarantee there would always be someone who'd stand in those empty seats so Rushian's idea is much better.
Yep.

Offline BHB

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 11:35:34 am »
On this note,

At the RTK Question and Answer session with Rick Parry, this subject was touched upon.

Rick Parry stated that the club will be in dialogue with the HFSG about the memorial, and how the 96 will be remembered at the new ground. Will the curren memorial come with us, or stay where it is and be part of the Anfield Plaza? Things like that.

Parry stated that nothing had yet been decided, but they are move than open to ideas and suggestions. It looks as if they are starting to talk to Phil Hammond and the HFSG, but I also think it's important that fans / survivors and all those effected also have their say as well.
A Son of Shankly

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 11:35:54 am »
good idea Rushian, i posted something on the RTK message board a while back about the club either giving away or heavily subsidising around 1000 seats a game for local schools and other youth organisations to give kids a chance to get to games, doubt the club would actually do it so maybe giving away just 96 seats every game would be a better idea, at least it would be a fitting memory to the 96

like wooltonian's idea as well, a memorial garden would be nice with the 96 seats paying for it's upkeep

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 11:36:23 am »
A block of 96 seats should be set aside for all games and given away free to schools in the local area on a rotational basis, allowing young fans their first glimpse of Anfield action. We all know the high cost prevents many kids getting to see the men in Red, and I think this proactive act of remembrance would be a worthier way of remembering those who perished in the act of supporting the Reds.
I like this idea, or for other worthwhile caused within the local community would be good.  Hope something does happen, be a shame to see empty seats in the ground, the 96 would've been in those seats, and no doubt would want other to make noise for them
SoS #364

Offline TorresIsGood

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 11:36:40 am »
spot on idea about getting local schoolkids involved! also liked the idea of 96 lights or eternal flames, one idea i seen involving this was to have a walkway up to the ground with 96 lights  stretched along either side of the path beaming up toward the sky. would also incorporate YNWA into it e.g. you are not walking alone the 96 are with you.
"More possibilities...for sure"

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 11:39:28 am »
A great idea. A bit like the minute of applause instead of silence. Although I think unfortunately the applause had to be brought in to hide the few pricks that couldn't keep a minutes silence.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline BHB

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 11:40:56 am »
I'd really like to see a tribute and memorial to the 96 as a focal point of the new grond. So it can be used as an educational tool as well as a rememberance tool.

At the minute, fans visiting Anfield will only see the Memorial if they walk right around the ground. If it was right infront of The Kop and a focal point as you arrive at the ground, it would recieve more attention. Tourists visiting Anfield, go on stadium tours etc, have it somewhere they can't fail to miss and be touched by it.

Make it part of the tour for visitors, information boards telling the history behind it. Educate people.
A Son of Shankly

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 11:48:40 am »
Brilliant idea Rushian, and far more positive than empty seats. Like you say, it would affect the atmosphere which I'm sure isn't what the 96 would want. Hicks and Gilett seem to be listening to the fans, so I'm sure if suggestions are sent to the club they'll be taken into consideration.
Thank you Jurgen

Offline Bosshog

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • what a hit son.....WHAT A HIT!!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 11:56:19 am »
I agree with Rushian
have the 96 seats in a gold colour aswell to make them stand out
Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get!!

Homer Simpson

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 11:56:54 am »
Unless you put the 96 empty seats around the top of the ground I can't see it working. Really good idea though.

Cracking idea from Rushian, would fully support that.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline ctyapt

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 11:56:55 am »
Excellent couple of ideas there,

feel putting kids in the seats far better than leaving them empty. Would hopefully serve to educate more youngsters about events which otherwise might start to seem quite remote to many of them.

love the idea of having it as 96 yellow seats in the shape of a flame but not sure it could be done,, if youre taking a load of kids into the ground you dont really want them spread across 20+ rows with little Kyle sat at the tip of the flame all on his tod
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:59:34 am by ctyapt »

Offline RedJedi

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 11:57:11 am »
I prefer Rushian's idea to having empty seats.

Perhaps they could put the names of the 96 on each seat, either 1 name on a seat or all 96 on each?
Fernando Torres - Turning Kopites gay since 2007

Offline Scully

• Clunge Bag
  • Legacy Fan
  • Libpool born and bred.
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 12:01:51 pm »
Good idea.  i always think about what the fans that we lost would have wanted.  i.e would they have wanted us to protest or would they have wanted to just watch the football and remember.

We have our dignified memorial.  96 empty seats in a football ground is not what any football fan wants and I don't believe it would best serve the memory of those lost.

If the club wish to make a gesture inside the ground to remember the fans then giving back to the community is a great way of doing it.

Personally I would like to see the eternal flame inside the ground (not like some grandiose olympic torch) but somewhere that it can sit and flicker in full view of the pitch.
Every Trefoil has a story

In the 1980's UK cities saw the terraces full of three stripes as the football 'Casuals' developed an obsession for trainers and styles such as Rom, Forest Hills and Samba.