Author Topic: RAWK Poker 'League'  (Read 58040 times)

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Poker 'League'
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2007, 12:39:10 am »
I watched for five mins and someone, phil i think, hit a straight flush if that's what you're on about.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2007, 07:32:26 am »
woo hoo, just won for the 1st time at a $5 sit and go.

Great feeling isn't it!!!!!
Count the number of losses before you win again, it's easier to remember the wins, but keeping an eye on the losses helps improve your game.

bore the poor sod to death as he went AI on a Q2.

With large blinds and a small stack, he has no choice but to go all-in, and in those conditions he's going to have very low starting requriments. Q2 is far from great but it's a picture card!

And PaulF, I see where you are coming from playing 4,2 off. I didn't actually play it when dealt as someone had raised big pre flop so I couldn't limp in, but if I had I would have cleared up a rather tidy pot as the straight hit bang on the flop!

I've got historical reasons for 4,2off.  It's about as poor a hand as you can get (I' won't play 4,2 suited), but because it's my 'lucky' hand I can bluff it with amazing confidence.  I found out last night I'm not confident it will hold up against a big pre-flop raise mind. I play it like I've got a pocket pair of Jacks.  I tend not to bluff, I've found it bluffing only costs me money and by sticking to one hand which I bluff with it helps keep me in the game.  I really ought to keep track of how often I play 4,2 and whether I do 'win' with it, or am ignoring my own advice by not counting the losses.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Phil M (ET Crew)

• Main Stander
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2007, 09:18:38 am »
Hi PaulF, when he went AI with Q2 he was far from having to make that move. Blinds were 300/600, and we were both still folding back and forward reguarly on them so without getting involved in hands our stacks were remaining constant, and he still had 4500 chips left.

The thing that pleased me most though was that I played to an actual plan once heads up, rather do as I would normally which is to just wait for a big pocket hand and then go all in hoping to get the action and win. This time I tried to 'groom' him into thinking I was a very weak player, one who was easy to bully out of pots with just a mere minumum bet. I wopuld only go to the flop if very cheap unless I had an Ace with at least a 10 kicker, and was reguarly folding decent picture cards.

He seemed to pick up on this and was putting in small bets after the flop (if I was still in the hand) knowing I would fold. But I then turned it around, whilst still only going into cheap flops I would wait until he put his 'bully bet' in then just come over the top all in, even with mediocre hands and he would fold everytime. Used this to claw back a few thousand chips and then finally started playing the bigger hands with more confidence (but not going all in) and won a couple more pots to make me chip leader, at which point I went back to playing very tight, and just playing strong hands.

Occasionally I would go AI pre flop if I hit rockets or kings and he never called but I wanted to start showing some variation. And then eventually he went AI on the Q2.

On the previous game though I played one poor hand that got me knocked out, but would be interested to see if the more experienced players here feel my opponent had the right to even call me. I had AJ. 7 of us left at table, blinds about 15/30 level. I bet 200 pre flop. Everyone bar one player folds. He raises to 400 and I call to see the flop. J,9,9. So I hit my jack and a 2nd flopped pair. No flush draw and I think to myself I'm big leader and an AI should see him fold and the only beat I could see was if he chased the straight.

I go all in, he calls - J,9 suited. He flopped the full house! Was his J9 strong enough to be reraising pre flop?

On my part I am guessing I should have played my AJ stronger pre flop to try and force out the limpers?

As for the 4,2. I have to admit I don't think I would risk any chips to see the flop. If I was BB and it checked round to me then great, but I would fold out against any pre flop bets!

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2007, 09:28:31 am »
The thing that pleased me most though was that I played to an actual plan once heads up, rather do as I would normally which is to just wait for a big pocket hand and then go all in hoping to get the action and win. This time I tried to 'groom' him into thinking I was a very weak player, one who was easy to bully out of pots with just a mere minumum bet. I wopuld only go to the flop if very cheap unless I had an Ace with at least a 10 kicker, and was reguarly folding decent picture cards.

Nice plan. I really need to work on my heads up play, I usually just randomly trade blows and hope for the best!

As for the 4,2. I have to admit I don't think I would risk any chips to see the flop. If I was BB and it checked round to me then great, but I would fold out against any pre flop bets!

Yes , BB check.
Anywhere else if you are first to act, come in with 3-4x BB and pray you don't get to see the flop!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:36:22 am by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2007, 10:09:37 am »
Phil M, you shouldn't be betting AJ any stronger than you did in my opinion. If anything it was too strong in the first place - x5 should usually do the trick. He was also wrong to call, but that's just the way it is.

I played in the £40,000 WPT tourney on pokerroom at the weekend. Second to act, I had KK. There was a raise in front of me, and I re-raised. The small blind called, and out-drew me with JT off, which he really should not have played in that situation at a full table. All you can do is play correctly and give yourself the best chance; if someone gets lucky then it wasn't meant to be.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Phil M (ET Crew)

• Main Stander
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:33 am »
Cheers for the advice guys. I do always pay attention to any hand that goes the full distance, but this particular guy had been fairly quiet most of the time, and had won one small pot without having to show his hand so I was up against the unkown at this stage. It's all experience and yes, I accept that you will always get beaten by hands that have no right to call, but in this instance I was more interested in how strong a suited J9 was considered with regards to him raising my original bet.

Either way, depsite that and the early exit from the RAWK game I finished the night $9 in profit so not all bad! (Not that the money is the driving factor, at these stakes I am playing more for fun and experience!)

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2007, 11:01:40 am »
Phil, the only way his re-raise was justified is as a bigger re-raise bluff. By just doubling he has to know he's going to get called by the original big raiser. The minimum re-raise was his worst possible move in that situation - the best was fold, followed by call (bad in istself), then the big re-raise (although some might say it's better than a call but you're still likely to be called by the original raiser), then the small reraise.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Phil M (ET Crew)

• Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2007, 12:32:27 pm »
Ok, more advise please! Thinking of trying a cash game. How do these work? Are you free to join and leave as you please? Do you enter the amount of cash you want to enter the game with?

Also, and although unlikely if I were to hit the nuts on the first hand I am dealt and double through, would it be bad etiquette to take the winnings and run?

Does the style of play differ? I assume that with higher stakes it makes for a tighter game with less numpties going all in with rank hands?

Cheers in advance

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2007, 12:42:11 pm »
Ok, more advise please! Thinking of trying a cash game. How do these work? Are you free to join and leave as you please? Do you enter the amount of cash you want to enter the game with?

Also, and although unlikely if I were to hit the nuts on the first hand I am dealt and double through, would it be bad etiquette to take the winnings and run?

Does the style of play differ? I assume that with higher stakes it makes for a tighter game with less numpties going all in with rank hands?

Cheers in advance

Free to leave as you please , there is an ettiquite when playing live cash to announce youre leaving in say 30/45 mins  but online fuck it win & leave if u please

alot of people will play all sorts of hands in cash to try and mix it up - i know a few very good live cash players from round liverpool and they will play all sorts of hands just to see the flop

and as for higher stakes not really any tighter at all

Offline Phil M (ET Crew)

• Main Stander
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2007, 12:57:46 pm »
Cheers, in that case I think I may not be ready to get involved in those for time being. Will stick to the $5 sit and goes for now.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2007, 01:36:31 pm »
Cheers, in that case I think I may not be ready to get involved in those for time being. Will stick to the $5 sit and goes for now.

I agree with what Waterloo said. People tend not to go all-in so much on cash games, and your cash pile seems to swing VERY wildly. Ladbrokes are good, they have some really cheap games.

Worth buying in for $4 just for the experience, and saying to yourself you'll play on a double or nothing basis.  A better strategy might be stay in for 30mins and see where you are then, it'll help keep your play tight. 
Normally after a couple of hands you can spot someone who has no idea at all, and then just suck their money out of them.

I don't like cash games though, I get bored and tend to leak money  >:(

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2007, 02:00:52 pm »
Ill be in next Monday I think Blurred!!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2007, 06:22:54 pm »
Hoping to start on this with you guys in a week or 2, if pokeroom lets me
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2007, 11:56:29 am »
I'll try and remember next week!
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2007, 12:24:12 pm »
I'm the Everton of the league, racing to an early place at the top of it, but will ultimately be happy not to finish in the bottom 3!

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2007, 05:37:18 pm »
out of curiosity did yer sit there as sit ot or where yer genuinely away for the first 20 mins on monday ?
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2007, 06:33:49 pm »
out of curiosity did yer sit there as sit ot or where yer genuinely away for the first 20 mins on monday ?

Genuinely away, the girlfriend made an unexpected visit !  Not a bad strategy for me though, as in previous RAWK games I was out in the first 20mins!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2007, 09:38:37 pm »
Genuinely away, the girlfriend made an unexpected visit !  Not a bad strategy for me though, as in previous RAWK games I was out in the first 20mins!

I thought you were cheating ;)  :P
I did consider sitting out for a while just after I went from short stack to chip leader but thought it bad form and stayed in.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2007, 11:49:03 am »
Well now you've posted in here it'll keep popping up in your unread posts and things nearer the time :)

To be honest I have never really used that facility on RAWK, but I might have to now! What time is kick off again?9pm
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2007, 11:57:17 am »
To be honest I have never really used that facility on RAWK, but I might have to now! What time is kick off again?9pm

Yeah, but it's like the FA cup, the big boys come in for the third round about 9.30  ;D

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2007, 03:49:36 pm »
Will get on at the weekend

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2007, 04:03:46 pm »
My rawk usage revolves around unread posts!

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2007, 04:59:02 pm »
I might join you all on Monday  :)

Offline duggs

• Main Stander
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2007, 12:50:49 am »
guna play this ,this week any bonus codes for pokerroom?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2007, 09:53:52 am »
If my cash game form this weekend is anything to go by I may as well just donate you all lots of chips!

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2007, 10:57:08 am »
Lo and I should both be there later :wave

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2007, 11:06:06 am »
Lo and I should both be there later :wave

Oh well, maybe it won't be a complete disaster then  ;D

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2007, 11:20:56 am »
Oh well, maybe it won't be a complete disaster then  ;D

:nirnir

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2007, 11:34:47 am »
JESUS_GOD will play today

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2007, 12:19:29 pm »
Can someone who can get on tell me how many we've got registered thus far?

4. Last time I looked

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2007, 12:41:18 pm »
JESUS_GOD will play today

Come on then folks, get registering.
Fresh from my disaster at the GBPT in Leeds, I am registered.

Looking forward to my first game against Fiend.

Last 2 weeks have been bloody good games.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2007, 12:51:19 pm »
I'm off out later to get a thingy to give me pennies to play  ;D

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2007, 01:20:06 pm »
registered so far
me
blurred82
buck_pete
Jas2304
JESUS_GOD
The Road End

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2007, 04:59:24 pm »
Fresh from my disaster at the GBPT in Leeds, I am registered.

Looking forward to my first game against Fiend.

Last 2 weeks have been bloody good games.

I hope there are two tables and I can start on one without Fiend , TOGH and Buck Pete!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2007, 05:08:07 pm »
I hope there are two tables and I can start on one without Fiend , TOGH and Buck Pete!
Sod that Paul I'm having a nightmare lately.

Really looking forward to a decent friendly game tonight (although competitive)

Playing these live tourneys are tense affairs with too many Gus Hansen wannabees.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2007, 06:32:32 pm »
I'm in :wave

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2007, 06:39:28 pm »
I'm in  :wave

Offline duggs

• Main Stander
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2007, 06:48:41 pm »
cant deposit any funds with a maestro card, fucks sake, looks like i wont be able to play.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2007, 06:49:50 pm »
Goto a shop that has a Paypoint and ask for a PaySafe Card :wave

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter