Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 479614 times)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #400 on: August 25, 2007, 01:38:11 pm »
i think you should leave the designing and photoshoppery to the experts prongs, all you seem to be expert in is opening up useless windows in your OS
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #401 on: August 25, 2007, 02:58:08 pm »

These things are a piece of piss. A few things are awkward still, but I'll get there.

www.getfirefox.com :wave

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: August 25, 2007, 03:10:49 pm »
www.getfirefox.com :wave

REported to the moderator.

Against the rules.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #403 on: August 25, 2007, 05:02:19 pm »
Erm, just back from Mac shop with a replacement Mac Book after first one took a wobbly this morning. Cue Appleites wringing their hands whilst the Gatesians fall about laughing...

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: August 25, 2007, 05:44:24 pm »
Erm, just back from Mac shop with a replacement Mac Book after first one took a wobbly this morning. Cue Appleites wringing their hands whilst the Gatesians fall about laughing...

Least they gave you a replacement,  what went wrong with the other one?
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #405 on: August 25, 2007, 05:47:11 pm »
Least they gave you a replacement,  what went wrong with the other one?

It didn't provide him with obligatory man bag, nice shoes and haircut that a stereotypical mac user has.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #406 on: August 25, 2007, 05:47:27 pm »
It crashed differently.  :P

It died doing a software upgrade; seemed to freeze whilst downloading a security thing I couldn't get it to restart despite trying with OS disc, etc, etc and eventually discovered that the HD was irrepairable.  :-\

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: August 25, 2007, 05:48:25 pm »
It crashed differently.  :P

It died doing a software upgrade; seemed to freeze whilst downloading a security thing I couldn't get it to restart despite trying with OS disc, etc, etc and eventually discovered that the HD was irrepairable.  :-\

Nice ;)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: August 25, 2007, 07:25:44 pm »
REported to the moderator.

Against the rules.

:)

I have downloaded Firefox, but I'm quite liking Safari at the mo :-X

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: August 25, 2007, 07:26:57 pm »
:)

I have downloaded Firefox, but I'm quite liking Safari at the mo :-X

Goody ;)

You wait till it crashes... and it will.

Camino is the mac equivilent mozilla to firefox (despite there being a mac firefox). Safari 3 beta is even better and more stable than safari 2 that comes with it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:29:19 pm by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2007, 05:57:18 am »
Camino is the mac equivilent mozilla to firefox (despite there being a mac firefox). Safari 3 beta is even better and more stable than safari 2 that comes with it.
Safari 3 won't work for me. For some reason, I can't press Enter in the address bar, which makes it useless.

Camino is okay, but it will only remember one login per site, which is very annoying.

Can't say I've ever found a browser I was totally happy with, not on Window, Linux or OS X.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2007, 06:56:10 am »
Most new laptops you have to burn backup DVDs and fiddle about with things for quite a while. The initial set up on my Compaq laptop, from getting it out the box and then for me to be able to do something I actually wanted to do, was about an hour and a half minimum, but that was near 5 years ago.

Had to wait for XP to 'install' or whatever the fuck it was doing.

This, I got it out the box, opened up it's lid, pressed the power button (didn't expect it to come on!) and then it just asked me a few questions, sorted out languages/log in, it connected up to the network and then I was away. Updated itself to the latest versions of everything, too, I seem to have iLife '08, although I'll probably never use it.

I knew ;)

Can't seem to stop myself trying to press ctrl, though.

Why do you need to 'burn backup DVDs' and 'Fiddle about'?

My laptops have all been Dell and Compaq and both companies provide track-by-track OS Install DVDs with their products. They also provide full driver and OS and Installed product DVDs in case you wish to install your own options instead of the factory set ones. Thought you'd have to be an idiot not to just use the track by track DVD

Since you have nothing on the Laptop when you first buy it - what could you be possibly be 'backing up'?!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2007, 09:51:29 am »
she's a god damned software pirate, i thought they didnt exist on the mac
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2007, 12:14:32 pm »
Why do you need to 'burn backup DVDs' and 'Fiddle about'?

My laptops have all been Dell and Compaq and both companies provide track-by-track OS Install DVDs with their products. They also provide full driver and OS and Installed product DVDs in case you wish to install your own options instead of the factory set ones. Thought you'd have to be an idiot not to just use the track by track DVD

Since you have nothing on the Laptop when you first buy it - what could you be possibly be 'backing up'?!

Most of them don't come with disks anymore! You have to make your own restore disk.

The laptop this is replacing is a compaq, true enough it came with loads of disks, but it still took over an hour to me getting it out of the box and me doing something I actually wanted to do on it.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2007, 02:47:04 pm »
two things i've noticed that are a little odd.

trying to find and delete all of those thumbs.db files carried over from windows, it finds them immediately, which is nice, but try and delete them all at once and it's not keen on doing it. Always gives me an error message on 8 of them, and then I try to delete them again and it won't do anything with them.

If i search again, they look like this:

and if i click on the info...

:-\

Are they actually deleted or what? and why is it doing that?

And, iTunes started freaking out when I used that grab program to take a screenshot. Went all skippety.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2007, 02:51:24 pm »
for sceenshots use shift+apple+4 and you get a nice littel crosshair, drag it round the bit you want to capture and it saves it as a picture on your desktop. Dont know if thats what you were doing or not but I find it very handy.

For the other thing I have no idea.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2007, 03:13:46 pm »
When you search on spotlight it also shows things in the recycle bin no?

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2007, 03:18:56 pm »
If you run
Code: [Select]
rm -i `find . -name 'Thumbs.db'`
in Terminal, it will recursively find and delete all Thumbs.db files under the current directory.

Change "find ." to "find /" to search the whole computer including external drives. That'll take a while. "rm" means remove, i.e. delete, and the "-i" means it will ask for confirmation before actually deleting a file.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2007, 03:47:22 pm »
When you search on spotlight it also shows things in the recycle bin no?

If they're in there, they're not showing when i open it up, so i have no idea.

If you run
Code: [Select]
rm -i `find . -name 'Thumbs.db'`
in Terminal, it will recursively find and delete all Thumbs.db files under the current directory.

Change "find ." to "find /" to search the whole computer including external drives. That'll take a while. "rm" means remove, i.e. delete, and the "-i" means it will ask for confirmation before actually deleting a file.

Lovely. Thank you :)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2007, 03:55:16 pm »
And, iTunes started freaking out when I used that grab program to take a screenshot.
Cmd+Option (apple+alt ;)) +  3 = shot of the full screen
Cmd+Option +  4 = cross hairs - drag and releae to take image
Cmd+Option + 4 - wait for the crosshairs, then hit space = selected window (you have to try it to see what I mean)

Much better than using grab.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #420 on: August 26, 2007, 04:40:18 pm »
Cmd+Option + 4 - wait for the crosshairs, then hit space = selected window (you have to try it to see what I mean)

oooh. didnt know that one!

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: August 26, 2007, 04:43:25 pm »
oooh. didnt know that one!

Press ctrl+option+cmd+8

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #422 on: August 26, 2007, 04:47:08 pm »
what the hell is that supposed to be? Its a negative

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2007, 04:58:19 pm »
Cmd+Option (apple+alt ;)) +  3 = shot of the full screen
Cmd+Option +  4 = cross hairs - drag and releae to take image

Much better than using grab.

alt+apple isn't doing anything :D computer just gives that dismissive 'what the fuck are you doing' noise.

shift+apple+number works a treat though ;)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: August 26, 2007, 05:00:23 pm »
alt+apple isn't doing anything :D computer just gives that dismissive 'what the fuck are you doing' noise.

shift+apple+number works a treat though ;)

I suck.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: August 27, 2007, 08:52:56 am »
WOW THATS SO INTUITIVE
STFU and agree with me.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: August 27, 2007, 04:02:23 pm »
Went for the Toshiba in the end... even though I still like the Macbook... for less money I got a better specced laptop. May still get a Mac in the future though- they seem cool (but I'd get a black one... the display models of the white Macbooks I've seen were dirty and grimy..!)

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: August 27, 2007, 04:04:37 pm »
for less money I got a better specced laptop.

Didn't it have a worse processor, just less ram? Hope it turns out to be a great pooter for you mate.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: August 27, 2007, 04:20:01 pm »
Hmm, force quit, can you only do that through activity monitor now?

I'm sure I've done that from the dock in the past, but i can't get it to appear in the menu no matter what key combination i try.

messenger is being a pain, and i'm not keen on adium :P

Went for the Toshiba in the end... even though I still like the Macbook... for less money I got a better specced laptop. May still get a Mac in the future though- they seem cool (but I'd get a black one... the display models of the white Macbooks I've seen were dirty and grimy..!)

Was it the toshiba in the current PC world ads? Looks a decent machine that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:24:42 pm by Claire. »

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: August 27, 2007, 04:32:30 pm »
Hmm, force quit, can you only do that through activity monitor now?

I'm sure I've done that from the dock in the past, but i can't get it to appear in the menu no matter what key combination i try.

messenger is being a pain, and i'm not keen on adium :P

Was it the toshiba in the current PC world ads? Looks a decent machine that.

Adium is brilliant, you just have to customise it to your likes. Tabbed chatting, what more could you want.

Anyway, yeah - force quit is just hold alt when you have the contextual menu up. You can also bring up the force quit box by pressing apple+alt+esc should you have problems with any horrifically bad applications like msn ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:34:51 pm by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2007, 05:28:55 pm »
Didn't it have a worse processor, just less ram? Hope it turns out to be a great pooter for you mate.

Cheers mate.

1.73Ghz Core 2 Duo compared to the Macbook's 2.00GHz. 40GB more on the HD, an extra gig of RAM and the same graphics card.

Also, posting from the Tosh now- impressive (fast enough for me) and it's all ready to go (started set up about 10 mins after my last post on this very thread, and finished about 15 mins ago). Dunno what the hoo-haa was about it taking too long to set up!

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2007, 07:01:10 pm »
Cheers mate.

1.73Ghz Core 2 Duo compared to the Macbook's 2.00GHz. 40GB more on the HD, an extra gig of RAM and the same graphics card.

Also, posting from the Tosh now- impressive (fast enough for me) and it's all ready to go (started set up about 10 mins after my last post on this very thread, and finished about 15 mins ago). Dunno what the hoo-haa was about it taking too long to set up!

There was no hoo-haa, all that was said was it takes a little while (hour at least) to set up a new windows machine, which going by your timings there, is still true.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 27, 2007, 07:06:13 pm »
Adium is brilliant, you just have to customise it to your likes. Tabbed chatting, what more could you want.

Anyway, yeah - force quit is just hold alt when you have the contextual menu up. You can also bring up the force quit box by pressing apple+alt+esc should you have problems with any horrifically bad applications like msn ;)

adium == crap

aaaaanyway, thanks :)

anyone need some nice new wallpapers for their new snazzy laptops?

i just got loads from here: http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/index.php?sort=date

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: August 27, 2007, 07:11:27 pm »
what the hell is that supposed to be? Its a negative
Apparently, it's a universal access thing for people with dicky eyesight. Mostly used for wardriving, I think.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 27, 2007, 07:34:30 pm »
adium == crap

Because?

It doesn't have massive big buttons and it works.. something you're not used to with msn ( ;) )

I'd rate it (and nearly everyone who ever rates anything on mac) as one of the best applications on any platform.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: August 27, 2007, 07:49:38 pm »
i prefer the msn smilies :-[

;)

nah, i just didn't like adium, i don't even like this version of msn but i can't be doing without my msn, don't use anything else.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: August 27, 2007, 07:55:16 pm »
i prefer the msn smilies :-[

I used to use the msn smilies (which comes with adium along with just about every other set of major smilies) but I've got a see through transparent window jobby and just don't use any now - I get the text through.

At least use aMSN - which is msn but tinkered with for the better - I think at aleast. I guess when you get so used to something it's hard to change.

I'm going to download msn now, just to see how much I hate it ;)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: August 27, 2007, 09:37:45 pm »
aMSN is trying too hard to be the windows version and failing so miserably.

Uncle Bill needs to sort this shit out.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: August 27, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »
aMSN is trying too hard to be the windows version and failing so miserably.

The windows version is crap, so it must be pretty frikken bad.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: August 27, 2007, 10:40:42 pm »
The windows version is crap, so it must be pretty frikken bad.

:o despicable lies!