Author Topic: 5 Goalies, 1 place.  (Read 958 times)

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
5 Goalies, 1 place.
« on: September 5, 2001, 03:08:46 pm »
So we have 5 keepers 1 space which obviously just doesn't fit, it's fairly safe bet that Sander (don't get me going on that one) and Pegguy or Jorgen Neilsen will be departing pretty soon. My main worry is the Taibi factor that affected Utd a few years back, they decided out of the blue to replace their keeper a few games into the season and in came Mr Massimo all was bright and the future looked good, Man U fans proclaimed they had bought a very good keeper and he would lead them on to several more championships and untold european honours...ahem...I think we all know how that ended.

Gerrard Houllier has bought 2 Goalkeepers and automatically gave Jerzy Dudek, who I have been told is a very good keeper (see the similarity!), but to sign him one game before our first Champions League fixture worries me. I think everyone remembers how long it took Sander to settle into the new look back 5 and form an understanding with Hyppia & Henchoz, Dudek has 90 minutes against Aston Villa not much time at all, you could argue that he also has 5 days training but thats totally different to a game situation. I'm assuming, no praying, that he has a grasp of english (again sound familiar) which should speed up or at least help the transition from the varying back line between Feynoord and Us.

The second of our signing a Mr Chris Kirkland is without doubt an outstanding prospect but if you consider that he cost the same amount of money as it took to construct our first choice back 4 with change was he worth it? Houllier obviously thinks so, but how much more quickly will he develop under Corrigan who has been subjected to alot of blame over our constant Goalkeeping trouble than if he had stayed at Coventry for another year or so, surely a downpayment giving us first refusal much the same way as the Biscan deal was engineered, would have been far more benefical for both sides, Coventry have an outstanding number one and a bit of cash in the bank Liverpool have an outstanding prospect playing at a high level week in week out.

Yes we have bought to outstanding goalkeepers yes Neilsen and possibly Pegguy were a bit to lightweight for the Champions League, but wouldn't one goalie be sufficent? isn't consistency in the back 5 the key to all of Liverpools success over the past two years? will the new addition and the time he takes to settle affect our league and cup performance? and is all that worth sacrificing for the sake of one mistake?

Houllier obviously know what he's doing!!

YNWA
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
Re: 5 Goalies, 1 place.
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2001, 03:28:40 pm »
I thought the need for more goalkeepers was self-explanatory : they're all going to work in the ticket office - the ultimate goalkeeping challenge.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2001, 03:39:12 pm »

I thought the need for more goalkeepers was self-explanatory : they're all going to work in the ticket office - the ultimate goalkeeping challenge.

Thank fuck, stupid clowns having about 5 windows open

grrr

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2001, 05:00:13 pm »
GH has said on more than one occasion.. "I will improve and strengthen the squad when the opportunity and need arises.."  Well, it did and he has.
Its all timing, and all about money.  CL transfer deadline was coming up.  Feyenoord think.. hang on, Dudek is unhappy, not motivated and if we dont move him he will walk on a free at end of contract.  They drop 2 mill off his price and Houllier rips their arm off.
Meanwhile, back at stuck-for-cash Coventry FC, they see this and also see their opportunity to get a decent deal for Kirkland going out the window.  Its no surprise to me, that when Kirkland was offered. GH said, "Fuck it, Rick, buy the bugger as well, before some other bugger does".

We now have an experienced worldclass International keeper as No 1, with England's U21 keeper as No 2.   This may seem harsh on Sander W, but lets not forget that contract talks with Sander broke down in the summer.  Plus as soon as he dropped a bollock at Bolton, he was blabbing he was No 1 and that Houllier wouldnt replace him, he had been promised. Well, Houllier wouldnt have liked that very much either.. but I doubt it altered the situation.  Houllier got offered the two keepers he was after for a while now.. and simply grabbed them both in order to have them signed in time for CL football.  
Sander will moan and groan, but this is pure business.. and WE have two keepers that will prove to be better than him.  I have seen Dudek in action, and he is pure class mate.  Great in the air, very athletic and brave.. and I cant ever remember him being rooted to the spot on his line.

All in all, Houllier DOES know what he's doing, keep the faith !!
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2001, 12:21:35 am »
I hope Dudek wasn't playing tonight. 1-4 v Belarus... Perhaps not his fault (if he was playing) but certainly not a good build up for Saturday.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez