Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 121367 times)

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #640 on: February 5, 2013, 06:25:08 pm »
I'm in a fairly similar situation to Chip Evans, looking to get myself a reasonable acoustic on a student budget, thoughts on this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-acoustic-guitar-DG-5NAT-/150990139244?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2327b6af6c
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #641 on: February 5, 2013, 06:47:44 pm »
Honestly, acoustic-wise, Fender isn't the greatest... but people buy them for the name.

Yamaha is pretty solid, but there's a lot of value around if you buy a decent secondhand - like I said earlier, look at Tanglewood - they can be tremendous value for money.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #642 on: February 5, 2013, 06:56:22 pm »
Honestly, acoustic-wise, Fender isn't the greatest... but people buy them for the name.

Yamaha is pretty solid, but there's a lot of value around if you buy a decent secondhand - like I said earlier, look at Tanglewood - they can be tremendous value for money.

I agree with rox on that one, don't be put off a guitar because it isn't from one of the marquee name electric guitar houses.  Tanglewood make a lovely acoustic from the basement price up.  There's bound to be a second hand one around.

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: February 5, 2013, 06:57:28 pm »
Sorry Chip, meant to put the other lad's name in my original post, I'll have a look for some Tanglewoods then!
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: February 5, 2013, 06:57:45 pm »
Yep. And definitely do not, do not, do not buy a guitar online without playing it first.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #645 on: February 5, 2013, 07:01:57 pm »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: February 5, 2013, 07:06:54 pm »

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #647 on: February 5, 2013, 07:16:16 pm »
Bought an electro-acoustic off Ebay for 60 quid over xmas. Eastwood. I'd never heard of them but needed a knock-about guitar to save me travelling with the Taylor all the time. Wouldn't have been too unhappy if i'd paid triple what i did. Would have been good at sub £150. Great at £60,

Got lucky.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #648 on: February 5, 2013, 07:19:31 pm »
Yep. And definitely do not, do not, do not buy a guitar online without playing it first.

:D

I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER followed that advice.  My best guitars have all been bought unplayed...  :D
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #649 on: February 5, 2013, 08:08:11 pm »
My best guitar, a 10th anniversary ibanez jem was bought online. Fucking stunning to play and look at. Best buy ever.As is my new 90th Jem HAM model.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #650 on: February 5, 2013, 08:10:25 pm »
:D

I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER followed that advice.  My best guitars have all been bought unplayed...  :D

Again, I'd never done it until recently. I took the risk (albeit a very small one) and got lucky.

I wouldn't do it if I was spending big, but if you're shopping cheap...

My best guitar, a 10th anniversary ibanez jem was bought online. Fucking stunning to play and look at. Best buy ever.As is my new 90th Jem HAM model.

The 80s are dead yer phrygian dominant twat!
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: February 5, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »
I almost bought the one in the middle, but the neck was bulky as hell. Could barely wrap my (admittedly smallish) hand around it.

Spoiler
[close]

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: February 5, 2013, 08:13:53 pm »
Oi, its Mixolydian and ionian these days you useless fat fingered twat
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: February 6, 2013, 04:42:49 pm »
Can't find any Tanglewood guitars for less than 150. What other guitars should I look around for used?
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #654 on: February 6, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »
Ive a 2012 Gibson LP Standard in Desert Burst. Fantastic tone. I also have a 2002 Fender American Deluxe in Cherry Burst. Both are fantastic guitars. The LP just looks and feels class but i generally play the strat. I have the LP hanging on the wall in the front room. For when I am good enough to play it properly. :) Ive been learning for a little over a year now properly with lessons etc and loving every moment off it. Its like I have a whole new world of possibilities and a myriad of new things to learn about. All of which are fascinating. Can play a few tunes now but I am still pretty crude. Last Sunday I picked up the strat, put the phones on and plugged me ipod into the marshall with bluesy drum beats and spend 12hrs just playing and drifting in and out of this world. I love them there is no better way to pass free time. I cant wait for a few more years down the line when I am much better. But rome wasnt built in a day. :)
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #655 on: February 6, 2013, 06:03:24 pm »
Can't find any Tanglewood guitars for less than 150. What other guitars should I look around for used?

???

I got bored of counting how many auctions were under £100 on eBay.  Then I check 'Completed Listings' and there were loads that had sold under £100.

To get a bargain you have to bid and be patient.  Buy Now prices aren't generally bargains for obvious reasons...

Mind you, here's a BIN for £30!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TANGLEWOOD-TW-300-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-/350693469739?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item51a6f5ae2b
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 06:06:52 pm by Rox »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: February 6, 2013, 06:08:09 pm »
Sorry boots but my jealousy knows no bounds - I've been playing for 15 years and never been able to afford either a strat or a les Paul, proper ones at least - and you've got both and been playing a year! FML.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #657 on: February 6, 2013, 06:14:21 pm »
Sorry boots but my jealousy knows no bounds - I've been playing for 15 years and never been able to afford either a strat or a les Paul, proper ones at least - and you've got both and been playing a year! FML.

I've got an LP which cost a fraction of his Gibby and I wouldn't swap it.  :D  If you want a cracking LP look for a vintage Burny - any Japanese Burny and you can't go wrong. 

Mind you, I picked up a cracker for a bargain price:

http://forum.musicradar.com/showthread.php?116637-You-Lucky-*-!!!

As for the strat, I've got a Japanese CMI from the 70's, (big headstock) and has that SRV, Hendrix sound in spades... BUT, if you want a REAL strat, get a G&L Legacy / or the Tribute - made with USA parts - stunning guitar designed by Leo Fender and George Fullerton - it's amazing for VERY little money.

http://forum.musicradar.com/showthread.php?110765-FS-FT-G-amp-L-Tribute-Legacy-Strat-in-Sunburst

« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 06:23:05 pm by Rox »

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: February 6, 2013, 07:02:48 pm »
G&Ls are very nice. Guitarist in the rock band I play with has a G&L tele clone that sounds great.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #659 on: February 6, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »
G&Ls are very nice. Guitarist in the rock band I play with has a G&L tele clone that sounds great.

It's funny people write G&L guitars off - but these are the guitars Leo Fender would have delevoped the Strat and the Tele into if he hadn't sold Fender to CBS.  You only have to look at the build quality on these; the Legacy range may be manufactured in the Far East, but the hardware, wiring and pickups are identical to the USA premium guitars - and it shows.  If I ever have Fender USA money, I'll spend it on a secondhand G&L - and get treble the guitar for half the price...!  :D  I'm all about the bargains.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: February 7, 2013, 06:03:43 pm »
A little beauty from Lick Library today

How to improve your guitar playing - "Buy a really cheap guitar. The cheaper the better... and play that for a week" J. Bonamassa

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: February 7, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »
I've been doing that for 15 years now, I must be amazing  :P

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: February 7, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »
I've been doing that for 15 years now, I must be amazing  :P

Helps to have talent eh?

Offline roblfc13

• Main Stander
« Reply #663 on: February 7, 2013, 07:07:42 pm »
More praise for G&L. Have a Tribute series ASAT classic, probably about 10 years old now. Very nice guitar. Although I wish it had a rosewood neck.

Offline David Healy...

• Anny Roader
« Reply #664 on: February 28, 2013, 06:11:53 pm »
Does anyone here play the ukulele? Got a brunswick maple uke for christmas, and I love it. Once you get over the different chord shapes it's quite quick to pick up and has a really interesting sound. Currently learning more advanced fingerpicking, finding it a lot easier that on guitar. Anyone else on RAWK play?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #665 on: April 4, 2013, 08:11:06 pm »
Should be interesting to see just how much this finally sells for ....1963-64 Strat
It's genuine and from a pretty reliable seller of such things over the years.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: April 4, 2013, 09:43:13 pm »
Should be interesting to see just how much this finally sells for ....1963-64 Strat
It's genuine and from a pretty reliable seller of such things over the years.

Damn. I don't like Strats for the most part. But that's just nice.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #667 on: April 5, 2013, 12:15:22 am »
Yes, not really my preferred choice of weapon either, but it does look interesting.
I don't expect it will fetch top dollar investment money, the neck doesn't match the body and it's had some mods over the years, but it does look good if you're after the well worn relic look, a sort of Rory Gallagher Messin' with the Kid thing.
That scratchplate though, you just can't replicate that greening of the white other than by age, a bit like LP Junior tortoise pick guards from that era, pretty difficult to fake age convincingly.
After the initial flurry of bidding, it started at just £1, it looks like it's now gone quiet and I expect will remain so until probably the last 60 minutes.
It wouldn't surprise me if it went for near 10k at the end, possibly even more if there's a bidding war in the last few minutes, but we'll have to wait and see.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #668 on: April 5, 2013, 12:22:10 am »
Looking to start learning the guitar this year but dont know where to start.

Im left handed, that obviously makes a huge difference does it?

also dont know what type of guitar id need or what price range to spend on a beginners one.

:-\
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: April 5, 2013, 01:03:29 am »
Looking to start learning the guitar this year but dont know where to start.

Im left handed, that obviously makes a huge difference does it?

also dont know what type of guitar id need or what price range to spend on a beginners one.

:-\

Mate I started with justinguitar.com. It's going slow, but this guy is very useful.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #670 on: April 5, 2013, 11:46:05 am »

My man, I posted this a while back on the purchases thread, should have put it in here I suppose...

Woohoo....arrived this morning...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OfBDmw2H2Hw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OfBDmw2H2Hw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

I predict much cacophony and screams from wifey to 'Turn it down' over the coming weeks....

If you haven't tried one, do, it's a quite wonderful little box of sonic tricks.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #671 on: April 11, 2013, 08:13:51 pm »

It finally went for £8,300.

Rather a lot for a largely machine made plank, but there again, if that's what some people like and are willing to pay, who are we to argue.
Just wish I'd had the money and bought a couple back in the early 70's when along with stuff like LPs of all types, they were actually pretty cheap (though still unaffordable to a pennyless person like I was).

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #672 on: April 12, 2013, 04:00:02 pm »
And probably only going to go up in value. will be worth much more in 50 years or so I imagine.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: April 12, 2013, 07:07:59 pm »
Thats what wrong, people buying guitars to collect and earn from them. Fuck off and play the damn things.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #674 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:26 pm »
Thats what wrong, people buying guitars to collect and earn from them. Fuck off and play the damn things.

You could say similar about most collections.  Toys never taken out of their boxes, plates that never see a decent fry up, stamps that will never travel the length and breath of the UK...  but I do know what you mean...  :D

It's why I buy my guitars secondhand, and prefer them with real wear on them.  Then they will never be collector's pieces, but a real working guitar.

Look at a lot of Gibson's high-end output - guitars designed for the collectors market that will never be played.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:28 pm »
Ive played a few old Les Pauls, a 67 Gold Top i think it was. Sounded like shit and was worth a fortune. PLayed a Peavey Raptor , worth shit and played beautifully.  Id play a Dragon PRS on the circuit, i really dont care. Ill play any guitar. Both my Jems are played at gigs/rehearsals. Its only a guitar. Mostly.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #676 on: April 20, 2013, 08:35:27 pm »
What is the website that allows you to transpose the chords of a song? I thought it was ultimate-guitar.com but its not letting me.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: April 20, 2013, 09:10:54 pm »
Have u thought about getting gp6?

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #678 on: April 20, 2013, 10:50:28 pm »
Have u thought about getting gp6?
Cant be arsed with all that palaver mate. Got me line 6 UX1 plugged in, but All The Young Dudes is too high for me! :(
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: April 20, 2013, 10:55:26 pm »
What is the website that allows you to transpose the chords of a song? I thought it was ultimate-guitar.com but its not letting me.

I can transpose on ultimate guitar - down the left hand side it has buttons for add to favourites, autoscroll, font size, and then transpose...