Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 121194 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2010, 01:11:31 pm »
Started playing the other week, nicked an electric guitar and an acoustic off a mate. Started off with the electric but i'm finding it tough to play chords on it, sounds stupid but it feels like my fingers aren't long enough for this guitar lark as i'm always really stretching and as a result i've not been able to get a great grip on the strings. Find it easier an the acoustic and doing it wrong makes a slightly less shit noise, problem is that the top string keeps flying off :D

Don't worry it all comes with practice, your fingers will be soon stretching across the fretboard. See its not just your mind that has to learn but your body also. Apparently you have to do a movement our sequence 5'000 times before it becomes natural and you don't think about it. Best not do countdown.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2010, 01:20:01 pm »
Thanks for your help, guys.  I'll have a go with SamAteTheRedAcid's chords when I get home and then report back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2010, 01:23:45 pm »
guitar is a piece of piss basically. KERRYKOP is right, once you programmed your fingers and conditioned your fingers so they have strength the rest falls into place. unfortunately that takes a long time lol.

ok its not a piece of piss but the best thing i can say is, you will get out of guitar what you put in. 5 mins here and there and you will sound like a duffer. 5 hrs a day will see you nailing it it no time at all. and you will never master the instrument, you will just progress ;)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2010, 03:23:50 pm »
Don't worry it all comes with practice, your fingers will be soon stretching across the fretboard. See its not just your mind that has to learn but your body also. Apparently you have to do a movement our sequence 5'000 times before it becomes natural and you don't think about it. Best not do countdown.
Cheers mate that's what i'm hoping. I've found myself with a few weeks free so i've been spending a lot of time on it, it can be very frustrating knowing how to play a few of my favourite songs but just putting my finger in the wrong place and blunting the note!

I'll definitely be keeping it up though as i'm sure there'll be nothing more rewarding than finally getting it right

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2010, 04:19:50 pm »
Cheers mate that's what i'm hoping. I've found myself with a few weeks free so i've been spending a lot of time on it, it can be very frustrating knowing how to play a few of my favourite songs but just putting my finger in the wrong place and blunting the note!

I'll definitely be keeping it up though as i'm sure there'll be nothing more rewarding than finally getting it right

Yeah its good being able to belt out a few songs at a party, and very rewarding ;)

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2010, 04:47:13 pm »
women love a guitar player ;) i remember a few years back in a gig, place was packed and up front was this cute girl in a wheelchair. after a stupid solo that added fuck all to the song but another 30,000 notes ( i was young ) the song ended. this lil young lady 21,22 yrs old decided to proclaim in a loud voice that she wouldnt mind fingers moving that fast on her. cue much merriment. my only bad thought was, this girl had it for me, but if i took her home and we decided to get down to it, how the hell can i say to her' get on yer knees love '  hmmmmm. oh and her big fat heffer mate threw her knickers at me. the most gross thing i ever had to deal with on stage lol.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2010, 05:15:28 pm »
women love a guitar player ;) i remember a few years back in a gig, place was packed and up front was this cute girl in a wheelchair. after a stupid solo that added fuck all to the song but another 30,000 notes ( i was young ) the song ended. this lil young lady 21,22 yrs old decided to proclaim in a loud voice that she wouldnt mind fingers moving that fast on her. cue much merriment. my only bad thought was, this girl had it for me, but if i took her home and we decided to get down to it, how the hell can i say to her' get on yer knees love '  hmmmmm. oh and her big fat heffer mate threw her knickers at me. the most gross thing i ever had to deal with on stage lol.

Iv seen some horrible shit both playing and on sound. I was working doing monitors for a festival a few years ago, this was a real hairy biker show bunch of fucken animals. Anyways i was distracted from my job by two sick c*nts who decided to start banging in front of the stage, classy lady right. Well this got even more depraved when one of the stewards went under the stage with a brush and started sticking the handle up her arse! and not an eyelid bated from the bird. Some very wrong people out there.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2010, 05:20:04 pm »
hehehehe nice one lol. i love gigging :)

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: July 5, 2010, 11:54:06 pm »
Well since I last posted I have to say i'm definitely getting there, moving and stretching my fingers a lot easier. I can play all the open chords, got fed up trying to learn F but i'll get practising that as well as barre chords, which I can do but I haven't come across any songs to practise them!

Just a couple of questions for you pro's, i've been practising a few scales which I gather are to increase finger speed and later on for writing solo's. Just wondering if a solo only uses a certain scale repeatedly or whether you would swap scales round? Probably a stupid question but I don't really understand it because i'd have thought you'd just improvise across the fret board and just go with what sounds right!

Also a mate of mine who's played a lot longer than me came round, had one strum of a chord and told me the neck was bent. I've read up about it and apparently the rule is that if you hold down the first and last fret of the low E string there should only be a gap big enough for a credit card to fit through the eighth fret. I reckon I could fit my widescreen tele through there, well more accurately I could get a pound coin in easily. I havent got anything to compare it to but apparently it sounds shit, and when i've played on someone elses guitar I have found theirs a lot easier to play. Just wondering if anyone knows roughly how much it would cost me to have this repaired or had I might as well just get a new guitar? Baring in mind i've got a pretty low budget, under 200 quid really, I realise I won't get anything special with this but apparently epiphone les paul's are good value at around 120, any thoughts anyone? Oh yeh and mostly i'll be playing rock music from nirvana to oasis...*ducks*

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2010, 03:55:44 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #249 on: July 6, 2010, 02:14:07 am »
Just a couple of questions for you pro's, i've been practising a few scales which I gather are to increase finger speed and later on for writing solo's. Just wondering if a solo only uses a certain scale repeatedly or whether you would swap scales round? Probably a stupid question but I don't really understand it because i'd have thought you'd just improvise across the fret board and just go with what sounds right!

That's kind of the idea, but the whole point with scales is that they give you an idea of what sounds right. I'm sure it's totally the wrong way to approach it, but I found learning scales purely interesting for learning what notes are in that scale and then work (within reason) in that key. I know some people go through the stages of learning modes as well, which I did to a degree, but apart from a couple of 'em (Lydian in particular but also Locrian and Phrygian) I always found it hard to find the point in knowing them. To me A minor is still A Minor, even if I'm starting on the D. But learning modes I guess - apart from being for jazz buffs - is so you can view it as playing a different scale over each chord. I mean to me if I'm playing over an Amin and Fmaj progression my brain is telling me I'm in A minor, but I know people who think it's in A minor and then F Lydian. I know others who wouldn't know either way.

With due respect, if you're going for stuff like Oasis and Nirvana this stuff isn't going to be much use to you, it'll just complicate it. Learn yer pentatonic shapes and go with your ear. You probably won't go far wrong.

Personally speaking, If I'm improvising I'll use the ear to figure out what the key is and in the main stick in that, whilst throwing in a few chromatic notes to taste. Thankfully most improve I'm stuck with tends to be cringing 12 bar blues stuff, which by now I know may way around quite well, and what "colour" notes to add. If I'm writing a solo for a song I'll probably write the progression down in front of me (helps me to be able to see it for some reason) and then start looking for melodies and interesting notes, plenty of which aren't musically correct but they're what I like. The type of stuff I tend to write solos for though are a lot easier to throw a bit of dissonence into than your average Oasis chord progression, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As for whether a solo uses a certain scale repeatedly or switches about - it depends on the chords. If you're switching keys or throwing in an alien chord that's outside the key of that progression, chances are it'll clash horribly with one or two notes in that scale. You can get away with it but it's probably better to change scale/key and treat that particular chord as a one off. Like a jazzer would. These are rarities though I reckon, and for the two bands you've mentioned going this far might just be needlessly complicating it.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2010, 02:17:33 am by Juan Loco »
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #250 on: July 6, 2010, 03:55:56 am »
I should really sleep but been reading this thread for an hour. I picked up a squier strat and starter amp from ebay for £90, bargain, and I've been practicing on and off since I got it, about 2 months ago, not as much as I should, no doubt, just wondering about chords though, I'm a completel musical beginner.

With chords, you've got A to G and then you've variations on those like barre, how far will the 7 basic chords get me and where can I learn these? I've searched YT using the best of my knowledge but can't find any decent videos. Please help me :S
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: July 6, 2010, 05:40:49 am »
http://justinguitar.com/

Is this a good site to learn guitar?
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline saint1969

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #252 on: July 6, 2010, 06:44:04 am »

Is this a good site to learn guitar?

YES

I wish it was available when i first started to play

Very good guitar teacher, his lessons are easy to follow, and a good range of material

i have bought some of the products he sells, and can vouch for them

Best part about it is, the whole site is free to use,
if you can afford it, donate or buy some products,
but you are under no obligation
« Last Edit: July 6, 2010, 12:11:29 pm by saint1969 »
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: July 6, 2010, 11:47:08 am »
Well since I last posted I have to say i'm definitely getting there, moving and stretching my fingers a lot easier. I can play all the open chords, got fed up trying to learn F but i'll get practising that as well as barre chords, which I can do but I haven't come across any songs to practise them!

For practicing barre chords, Smells Like Teen Spirit is a good song to practice since you like Nirvana.

With chords, you've got A to G and then you've variations on those like barre, how far will the 7 basic chords get me and where can I learn these? I've searched YT using the best of my knowledge but can't find any decent videos. Please help me :S

The 7 basic chords can get you a fair way as you play them and variations of them all along the fret board. However, you will eventually need to learn Barre chords.

To answer the good place to learn use

Or more specifically http://justinguitar.com/en/CH-000-Chords.php
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: July 6, 2010, 01:26:37 pm »
Thanks a lot for that Juan, i've read your views on Nirvana before so don't fret (ahem) I only really mentioned them so people had an idea what kind of sound i'd be going for on a new guitar, rather than that I only want to be able to play their music. I learned pretty much the whole of Nevermind before even knowing what a scale is which even though is great fun at first, obviously won't make me a very good guitarist.

As you can tell i'm pretty new to the theory side of things so thanks for your explanation i'll just keep practising these scales and move on to some of the more complicated stuff you mentioned, rather than just sticking to playing nothing but power chords!

And thanks Pepe I stupidly totally overlooked that, i've been playing that song but using three fingers rather than barring so i'll get trying that :wave

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: July 6, 2010, 04:40:34 pm »
No worries mate. That justinguitar website has some great lessons on scales as well with some videos showing you what to do. If you want to learn more about them then I suggest you take a look.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #256 on: July 6, 2010, 06:16:54 pm »
Also a mate of mine who's played a lot longer than me came round, had one strum of a chord and told me the neck was bent. I've read up about it and apparently the rule is that if you hold down the first and last fret of the low E string there should only be a gap big enough for a credit card to fit through the eighth fret. I reckon I could fit my widescreen tele through there, well more accurately I could get a pound coin in easily. I havent got anything to compare it to but apparently it sounds shit, and when i've played on someone elses guitar I have found theirs a lot easier to play. Just wondering if anyone knows roughly how much it would cost me to have this repaired or had I might as well just get a new guitar? Baring in mind i've got a pretty low budget, under 200 quid really, I realise I won't get anything special with this but apparently epiphone les paul's are good value at around 120, any thoughts anyone? Oh yeh and mostly i'll be playing rock music from nirvana to oasis...*ducks*
If you can get a pound coin behind the string your truss rod definitely needs adjusting mate.  I would definitely get it looked at (or try it yourself if you're confident enough).  Just be careful about adjusting it too far, small increments are the way forward here.

If you're in the Merseyside area I can highly recommend a guitar tech I use.  A simple set-up would be somewhere in the region of £40.  I can't imagine that price would vary too much wherever you are.
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: July 7, 2010, 01:02:02 am »
If you can get a pound coin behind the string your truss rod definitely needs adjusting mate.  I would definitely get it looked at (or try it yourself if you're confident enough).  Just be careful about adjusting it too far, small increments are the way forward here.

If you're in the Merseyside area I can highly recommend a guitar tech I use.  A simple set-up would be somewhere in the region of £40.  I can't imagine that price would vary too much wherever you are.
Sadly not in the merseyside area, 40 quid is good although considering it's a pretty cheap old guitar I think i'll have a read around and try and do it myself, cheers.

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #258 on: July 7, 2010, 07:19:46 pm »

Thanks in advance.

I doubt you'll get an epi les paul for £120 to be honest honest mate(maybe an lp jnr but they arent very good), not a new one anyway, mine cost me over £300 brand new, could be lucky and get one off ebay i suppose but you cant beat seeing and feeling a guitar before you buy one!

Squier strats are a good choice for beginners, fairly cheap yet good quality, good luck anyway!
« Last Edit: July 7, 2010, 07:29:18 pm by LymmRed »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: July 7, 2010, 07:33:45 pm »
Woops I don't know why I wrote that, it's an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 that i've been looking at, i've read good reviews for it as a first guitar which is all i'm looking for really.

Cheers.

Offline You'll Never Walk Alone

• Kopite
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys...
« Reply #260 on: July 7, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »
I'm thinking of taking this up...

Really got properly into music about 2 years ago and can't live without it.

Although I wouldn't know where to start... Might have to pop into the local Music shop in the next few days to investigate...  :P
Quote from: Youll Never Walk Alone on September  2, 2007, 12:38:14 PM
Voronin = Bargain.

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #261 on: July 8, 2010, 12:17:42 pm »
Anyone ever got into quite seriously then left their guitars for decorative items for a few years before deciding to take it up again?

I'm in that position now, have the equipment and would really like to get back into it again, not to the same level of gigging etc etc but the point where the 'flow' was right when playing, if you see what I mean? Along with being able to memorise stuff relatively easily.

Is there any decent, cheapish guitar repairers in Liverpool too? my lovely electric could do with some damage fixing if I take it up seeing as though it's carried gig wounds from 10 years ago when I was in my rock n roll stage of smashing equipment up at the end of gigs haha.
......and could he play!

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: July 8, 2010, 03:30:13 pm »
no, but i have left it for about a week or so. i had a mate who was very good, and i mean very good. he had a bad experience at a gig and put the guitar down and never touched it since. that was years ago. i do think that some ppl do get too deeply attached sometimes.

Offline MARKEDEN77

• Main Stander
  • Breath in these cities of red and gold.
« Reply #263 on: July 10, 2010, 10:20:51 pm »
Just finished doing a diy recording using clip on drum mics and cubase.
the link is below, please be aware that this is down tuned and not nice (if we wanted to knock some pop out we could, but we is angry fuckers eh) plus you cant beat a bit of metal once a week ;0D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTC0X7-Ae0

I've been playing for about 15 years (grew up on gnr and metallica)

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2010, 02:52:22 pm »
Really getting into it. Nearly learned "You Talk Way Too Much  by The Strokes", the solo in the middle is killing me though, way too quick for me. I can do all the parts of the song apart from the solo, just about playing them altogether smoothly now.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2010, 04:39:38 pm »
i cant remember what thread it was but someone said i should try the intro to building the church by steve vai. well, I FUCKING NAILED IT. woooooo hooooooo. sorry, had to get that off my chest. my poor fingers though :)

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 13, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »
I have recently got a job and therefore money. I have also recently been listening to heavy, grundgy Feeder a lot, plenty of drop-d rocking out...on my acoustic. So I decided to get a new electric and an amp, both of my old ones of each are broke.

Any recommendations? Price range of about 400e for both but I'd go to 100e for a better than shit amp if it was worth it.

I know very little about guitars and shit.

Cheers.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #267 on: July 13, 2010, 08:10:30 pm »
Do Marshall still do the valvestate amps? They used to be great amps for that price range. I honestly wouldn't know what to look for now, I haven't been amp shopping for ages. Epiphone Les Pauls 'n' all.

i cant remember what thread it was but someone said i should try the intro to building the church by steve vai. well, I FUCKING NAILED IT. woooooo hooooooo. sorry, had to get that off my chest. my poor fingers though :)

The intro's more show-offy than extremely difficult though ain't it? He just uses the same pattern. Takes a while to learn but once you've got it you don't have to worry about changing about. I learned it once up on a time just to show off ;D better to look at than it is to play. When he starts using the same technique but in different patterns at the end of the main solo... that's mind-boggling, again, it's just the patterns that you have to used to but when he's switching them around it's a lot more daunting. Probably beyond my technique, definitely beyond my patience to learn it.

By far my favourite part of that whole song is the little run/sweep he does about 3 minutes in, it's when the riff underneath the solo changes for the first time. He's sweeping something, but it's not just your usual arpeggios, there's some really wide intervals in there which he slides through so fluidly. It's the stuff Vai does at his best. The notes are so unique but the way he plays it makes it sound as simple.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: July 13, 2010, 08:16:25 pm »
I have recently got a job and therefore money. I have also recently been listening to heavy, grundgy Feeder a lot, plenty of drop-d rocking out...on my acoustic. So I decided to get a new electric and an amp, both of my old ones of each are broke.

Any recommendations? Price range of about 400e for both but I'd go to 100e for a better than shit amp if it was worth it.

I know very little about guitars and shit.

Cheers.

400 for each or 400 total?
I'm liking this Refo-fella. Wanna adopt?

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2010, 08:50:43 pm »
Yeah, so I've learned some basic chords off justinguitar.com. Any decent beginner songs for the acoustic?
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:55 pm »
Yeah, so I've learned some basic chords off justinguitar.com. Any decent beginner songs for the acoustic?

I started with horse with no name by America cause its just two chords and the easiest song ever. Em and Asus2. over and over again. but it gets boring quick. Wild thing is a good one. E, A and B chords, and you can make funny hard rock guitar faces and look cool in a self deprecating way.

Once you've got down the basic chords, the next thing you wanna start working on is movables, as in 5th chords or power chords (there are others, I use alot of 10ths for instance). And it gets to the point where pretty quickly you are using mostly movables, as they are intuitive and natural.

Also try to look up the pentatonic scale online and get used to it. Almost all solos come from some modification of it, and its a great way to start picking up finger speed.

Good luck!

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2010, 10:49:53 pm »
400 for each or 400 total?

In total. I'm not on too much money so can't afford that much. I know it'd be hard to get something really good for that much but I just want something that isn't shite. Such as my shitty Squire and terrible amp that I had been playing with before.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2010, 06:53:21 am »
In total. I'm not on too much money so can't afford that much. I know it'd be hard to get something really good for that much but I just want something that isn't shite. Such as my shitty Squire and terrible amp that I had been playing with before.
My advice:  I wouldn't split up the 400 to be honest. You'll end up with 2 'ok' pieces with equipment, and then have to flog them when you get an upgrade. Get a decent amp, its more important than a good guitar for developing your sound. You can keep your squire for a while, depending on how shitty it is; some squire strats aren't all that bad.for 400 (pounds yes?) you can get a very decent amplifier, and then wait till you have some more money saved up and get a really good guitar. Now I'm US based, and I don't really know prices in England, and I also don't know what kind of style your interested in playing, but if you have like a British online music shop I can definitely point you in the right direction.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:57 am »
very true Juan. it took me a while to get my head round the patterns but as u say, when its locked in its fairly easy and i agree, very showy. think ill go through the whole song to be honest. the only reason i said was i hadnt really touched my guitar in months, my tips had gone soft and it was the first thing i played since i moved and laid of the booze. well, laid off the booze all day. 

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #274 on: July 14, 2010, 11:16:15 am »
reading this thread is really making want to do this now... anyone got any tutors in liverpool that are good and not going to rip me off?

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: July 14, 2010, 11:22:40 am »
My advice:  I wouldn't split up the 400 to be honest. You'll end up with 2 'ok' pieces with equipment, and then have to flog them when you get an upgrade. Get a decent amp, its more important than a good guitar for developing your sound. You can keep your squire for a while, depending on how shitty it is; some squire strats aren't all that bad.for 400 (pounds yes?) you can get a very decent amplifier, and then wait till you have some more money saved up and get a really good guitar. Now I'm US based, and I don't really know prices in England, and I also don't know what kind of style your interested in playing, but if you have like a British online music shop I can definitely point you in the right direction.

My Squire is pretty much broken nowadays though, I got it for free off of my brother's friend with the amp, so I'd want a new electric.

I'm looking on Thomann.de and I'd be paying with Euro not Sterling, I'm from Ireland.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_lp_studio_worn_cherry.htm

I'm liking this one at the moment and my friend who knows a bit about guitars said this would be very good for what I want to do. I'm not planning on being in a band or anything anytime soon, I just play for myself like.

I was recommended this amp

http://www.thomann.de/ie/orange_cr35ldx.htm

Cheers

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2010, 04:02:43 pm »
I currently have a Fender amp which I got with My Squier Strat, any recommend a decent amp for around £50 that would be a big improvement?

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2010, 04:33:57 pm »
Anyone play the ukulele?

If so do you know a good technique of transposing music between a guitar and the ukulele?

Cheers

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: July 14, 2010, 04:39:52 pm »
Anyone play the ukulele?

If so do you know a good technique of transposing music between a guitar and the ukulele?

Cheers

http://www.google.ie/images?q=ukulele+chords&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=9tk9TJSFII2OjAfUy6T5Aw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CEYQsAQwBA

I just use the chords given for the guitar and use the uku version shown above. Seem to sound grand.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: July 14, 2010, 05:04:56 pm »
My Squire is pretty much broken nowadays though, I got it for free off of my brother's friend with the amp, so I'd want a new electric.

I'm looking on Thomann.de and I'd be paying with Euro not Sterling, I'm from Ireland.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_lp_studio_worn_cherry.htm

I'm liking this one at the moment and my friend who knows a bit about guitars said this would be very good for what I want to do. I'm not planning on being in a band or anything anytime soon, I just play for myself like.

I was recommended this amp

http://www.thomann.de/ie/orange_cr35ldx.htm

Cheers

That amp is boss for its price. Really good choice, unless your into metal. Epi LPs are inconsistent in quality. Some of them are great, but mine has irritating little hardware problems, like stuck knobs, a bad input, bad tuning pegs, and I keep having to fix it. And its nothing to do with the specific model, its just luck. At that price range though, many guitars will feel like that.

Also, it depends on what style of player you are. LPs are great for exact players, like Slash for example. They've got a rich creamy sound, perfect for playing classic rock and stuff. Fenders are better for messier players like Frusciante or Jonny Greenwood, cause they respond well to being played with aggression.

Finally beware of open coil humbuckers (that epi has got them) through solid state amps. Can sound pretty harsh at times. Check it out before buying.

Prices in euros seem more expensive than prices in dollars btw. Strange that.