Author Topic: UFC/MMA thread  (Read 1911194 times)

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
Re: UFC/MMA thread.
« Reply #600 on: May 12, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »
Watched the latest episode of TUF. Have to say that none of the fighters so far have shown any really quality with many gassing after just 1 round. The May fight was fucking awful. How these guys call themselves fighters is beyond me. At least when Nate Diaz and Mac Danzig fought they looked like they had the potential to go and do something in the UFC whereas none of these yet have.

Hope the fights and skill sets get better as the series goes on.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #601 on: May 12, 2008, 02:35:12 pm »
Watched the latest episode of TUF. Have to say that none of the fighters so far have shown any really quality with many gassing after just 1 round. The May fight was fucking awful. How these guys call themselves fighters is beyond me. At least when Nate Diaz and Mac Danzig fought they looked like they had the potential to go and do something in the UFC whereas none of these yet have.

Hope the fights and skill sets get better as the series goes on.

There have been some prize dickheads on that show and he is right near the top, was glad he got KO's in spectacular fashion, lazy bastard wasn't even training and blagging his foot

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: May 12, 2008, 02:55:56 pm »
There have been some prize dickheads on that show and he is right near the top, was glad he got KO's in spectacular fashion, lazy bastard wasn't even training and blagging his foot

He tried the mind games but forgot to participate in the physical games. Can't remember the name of the guy who he fought (I wonder why???) but he was shit as well.
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #603 on: May 12, 2008, 04:02:20 pm »
I was impressed with Freeman - not bloody bad for a 41 year old although any jiu jitsu guy would have submitted either guy.
You'd be suprised you know, Frank Mir couldnt submitt Freeman and we all know how good Mirs' BJJ is, Cahoon seemed like he was having problems

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: May 12, 2008, 05:50:52 pm »
You'd be suprised you know, Frank Mir couldnt submitt Freeman and we all know how good Mirs' BJJ is, Cahoon seemed like he was having problems

True, but neither fighter actually tried for a submission and I saw a few opportunities. Then again, I suppose, with Freeman dominating top position he probably felt he didn't need. Not at all impressed with Cahoon.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #605 on: May 12, 2008, 07:54:44 pm »
No he let himself down there by allowing Freeman to execute his gameplan, I think he has got potential though after all he knocked Sinosic out which is something neither Bisbing nor Griffin could do.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: May 12, 2008, 07:54:51 pm »
Those two fights on that last episode were pathetic. In fact, the whole show hasn't been very good so far. There's not even the fight at the end of each episode to look forward to much as no-one has impressed yet. Even that 2nd one that Dana etc claimed was really good, they were both absolutely done in after 2-3 minutes of the first round. Only hope is that a few of Rampage's better fighters haven't fought properly yet, like CB Dolloway, who is meant to be really good and could win the whole thing.

Offline [streety]

• Craig Davis killed the thread
  • Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #607 on: May 22, 2008, 10:48:38 am »
Did anyone see the programme "Fight Masters" on Nat Geo at the weekend?

It was a documentary with a few ufc fighters, researching how much damage they can inflict using crash test dummies.

Some of the stats were shocking. It's well worth a watch.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: May 22, 2008, 11:11:37 am »
Downloading it now, nice one mate.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: May 22, 2008, 12:58:20 pm »
Did anyone see the programme "Fight Masters" on Nat Geo at the weekend?

It was a documentary with a few ufc fighters, researching how much damage they can inflict using crash test dummies.

Some of the stats were shocking. It's well worth a watch.

There is a YouTube Vid knocking around about Rampage and his slams basically suggesting the impact is worse than a car crash etc!

Offline [streety]

• Craig Davis killed the thread
  • Legacy Fan
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #610 on: May 22, 2008, 05:57:54 pm »
There is a YouTube Vid knocking around about Rampage and his slams basically suggesting the impact is worse than a car crash etc!
Yeah they get similar results on this programme. I couldn't believe how hard Baz Rutten hits. His kick caused 5cm of movement the "persons" chest, which would cause loads of internal damage and he hits harder than a heavyweight boxer.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #611 on: May 22, 2008, 07:41:24 pm »
Hard bastard 'El Guapo', more of a personality now like. Funny his self defense and street fighting videos, think some of them are on youtube aswell.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #612 on: May 22, 2008, 07:42:36 pm »
Predictions then for saturday? Looking forward to the Etim fight, hopefully it will be shown, Penn and Silva i reckon for the bill toppers
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:44:14 pm by Tyler Durdan »

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: May 22, 2008, 07:52:43 pm »
Hard bastard 'El Guapo', more of a personality now like. Funny his self defense and street fighting videos, think some of them are on youtube aswell.

He's in GTA IV, on on of the TV stations, fucking hilarious, didn't know before playing the game which made it all the better when i seen it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFxxgf64Xc

Can't wait for the card, hoping Wanderlei gets that win, think he should too. Second or Third round tko.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:55:24 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #614 on: May 22, 2008, 08:27:03 pm »
Yea its mad him being in that, didnt meself till i put it on.
Jardine v Silva should be a war, Silva will trade with anyone and i cant see the leg kicks that he (jardine) beat Liddell with being a factor. Wouldent mind seeing Rampage v Silva (which will probably happen if they both win their fights anyway) just to see how much Rampage has changed since his Pride days and the beatings he took 3 years ago or whatever it was when they last met. Not really arsed bout the tito fight too much. The BJ fight should be good but i cant see Sherk winning it unless he just lies on top of BJ for 5 rounds even then that could be dangerous for him though.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: May 22, 2008, 08:54:52 pm »
Really looking forward to the Machida Tito fight to be honest. Been impressed with Lyoto for a while now, and Tito will be a tough fight for him and a good gauge to how far along he is. Tito will probably look for the takedown, something Machida is pretty good at avoiding, and he's better on the feet than Tito so hopefully that's how he'll win. Will probably go to the judges with Machida scoring better by landing the better shots.

Agree with ya regards the Jardine Wand fight, Wand will be far more aggressive than Chuck was in that fight. He'll probably get hit with a few shots but Jardine i don't think has the power to really damage Silva, if Chuck couldn't do it i can't see Jardine being able to. So it will be a war, and Jardine is getting knocked out. I honestly can't see it going any other way.

Main Event isn't really doing it for me. Hate Sherk's style and hate Penn's personality.

Offline Roberts LFC

• Has left the building
  • Kopite
« Reply #616 on: May 22, 2008, 10:27:42 pm »
I can see Dollaway winning TUF7 although Jesse Taylor could be a dark horse.
Amir Sadollah has impressed me but I think his inexperience in MMA will affect his chances of winning.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #617 on: May 22, 2008, 10:32:24 pm »
Fuck off !! really ??? that's nut's

Kinda like like rocky 4 were Drago's twattin that test board..

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #618 on: May 25, 2008, 04:22:00 am »
Reljic!? looks very handy - will look forward to seeing him again

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: May 25, 2008, 12:08:25 pm »
Spoiler
Wanderlei is back! 8)

[close]

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #620 on: May 25, 2008, 12:10:10 pm »
Spoiler
Wanderlei is back! 8)

[close]

He's an animal
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Red Heaven

• Legacy Fan
  • check it
« Reply #621 on: May 25, 2008, 12:40:24 pm »
when is Skrtels next cage fight anybody know?
Simply Stunning, Simply Stevie G
All your southerners are twat headed c*nts, the dregs of English humanity, who eat their own faeces.
Top post by Red Heaven.

Offline FernandoTorrestieri

• Kopite
« Reply #622 on: May 25, 2008, 01:21:35 pm »
I look forward to every Machida match.

It's like watching an Italian football team.

Offline MomoIsBoss

• Hope he cancelled the milk.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sappnin Lad
« Reply #623 on: May 25, 2008, 02:33:13 pm »
Spoiler
Wanderlei is back! 8)

[close]

Thats a proper fighter
We're all laughing at Everton, ha ha ha ha

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: May 26, 2008, 09:46:11 am »
Watched UFC 84 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Spoiler
Machida was so elusive against Tito who got more and more frustrated as the fight went on. That triangle at the end was pretty tight though and Machida did amazingly well to roll out. Dana should keep Tito in the UFC as the fans love him and he does like to put on a show.
Thiago Silva was impressive in his win although he looked in trouble in the very early part of the fight.
Palhares was stunning. Joe & Mike were saying how Salaverry was a veteran who would be difficult to submit etc but Palhares made it look so easy. Would really like to see him take a huge step up in class in his next fight.
Reljic came back from the brink against Gouveia and finished the fight well.
What can you say about Wanderlei Silva? Some of these 205lb guys have devastating power and on their day I think each one of the top contenders could beat anyone of the the others. What a start. he flew out and knocked out Keith Jardine who was probably expecting a  title shot if he had won.
The main event was a complete schooling. BJ Penn looked liked a world class boxer as he jabbed his way to smashing the face of Sean Sherk. The punches that rocked Sherk at the end only seemed to graze him but there was no disputing the knee that caught him flush. Penn swarmed him and although the bell went I was glad the ref stopped the fight to prevent Sherk from taking any more punishment.
[close]

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: May 26, 2008, 09:53:16 am »
Spoiler
Great points there Jason. Pretty much what I was going to say. The jab off BJ was something else considering his skills on the ground.

Palhares and Reljic really impressed me. Always good to see newcomers do well.

Can't wait to see Huerta v Florian to see who will get to fight BJ Penn. That's if he hasn't planned to have his rematch against GSP.
[close]

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: May 26, 2008, 10:09:53 am »
Spoiler
Great points there Jason. Pretty much what I was going to say. The jab off BJ was something else considering his skills on the ground.

Palhares and Reljic really impressed me. Always good to see newcomers do well.

Can't wait to see Huerta v Florian to see who will get to fight BJ Penn. That's if he hasn't planned to have his rematch against GSP.
[close]

Spoiler
I would love to see BJ fight either Huerta or Florian and I think it will be Huerta. As much as I would like to see BJ fight GSP I don't think BJ would be 'big' enough physically to cope with GSP now. I think BJ has found his weight now and perhaps once he has dominated the 155lb division (Nate Diaz, Mac Danzig etc) then maybe think about moving back up.
[close]

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #627 on: May 26, 2008, 08:56:12 pm »
Has anyone ever seen the BJ v Machida fight? shows how big BJ blew up to at one point even though it was a catch weight fight i think.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: May 27, 2008, 02:14:50 pm »
Getting a bit of a tag as a boring fighter has Machida. I always love to watch him fight, along with Anderson and Wanderlei Silva he's my favourite fighter to watch. But i can understand where it comes from, because even though what he does is brilliant and executes his game perfectly, it does leave for, shall we say less than exciting periods of his fights.

The biggest test for him now would be to fight a really aggressive top level striker. And the only one that springs to mind is Wanderlei. The fight would make sense too, with the winner getting a title shot. I'd have mixed feelings about it though, wouldn't want either to lose. I think it would be an incredible fight though.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:17:19 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: May 27, 2008, 02:23:16 pm »
Has anyone ever seen the BJ v Machida fight? shows how big BJ blew up to at one point even though it was a catch weight fight i think.

Is that the fight you mean Tyler? What was the result?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #630 on: May 27, 2008, 03:40:05 pm »
Yea, Bj took it the distance but got beat on points if i remember right. Credit to Bj's striking really (not to the fact he allowed himself to balloon to that size though) as this was after Machida had banged Franklin in Pride when i think Franklin was the standing ufc middleweight champ. Been underrated for a while now Machida but he's getting recognised a bit more now, to be honest i think they (ufc) wanted Sokoudjou to beat him because he's a bit more marketable and younger

Offline Roberts LFC

• Has left the building
  • Kopite
« Reply #631 on: May 31, 2008, 01:43:06 pm »
I can see why CB Dollaway is the favourite to win TUF7 think its only really Jesse Taylor or Tim Credeur that may have a chance of beating him.
Heres a clip I seen of one of his first fights, one hell of a slam this

DOLLAWAY SLAM KO

Offline Trotterwatch

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #632 on: June 1, 2008, 03:17:33 pm »
EliteXC was a great event, Lawler vs Smith was amazing.  The female fight was well worth watching, and the main event was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: June 1, 2008, 04:46:03 pm »
It was terrible. Full of dodgy refereeing, early stoppages and very little skill. The Lawler against Smith fight could have been one of the highlights of the year but again, why was that stopped? You're supposed to have 5 minutes to recover and Smith said he wanted to carry on. And as for the main event, to end that when he did when he let Kimbo Slice take about 20 unanswered elbows was a farce. Dana White has nothing to worry about.

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #634 on: June 1, 2008, 04:50:34 pm »
It was terrible. Full of dodgy refereeing, early stoppages and very little skill. The Lawler against Smith fight could have been one of the highlights of the year but again, why was that stopped? You're supposed to have 5 minutes to recover and Smith said he wanted to carry on. And as for the main event, to end that when he did when he let Kimbo Slice take about 20 unanswered elbows was a farce. Dana White has nothing to worry about.
spot on - the main event stank of betting syndicate fix.

Offline Trotterwatch

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #635 on: June 1, 2008, 04:54:45 pm »
Agreed on the 5 minute recovery thing, thought that was a terrible decision.

Also felt Kimbo could have been stopped for not actively defending himself, heck he wasn't even attempting to buck his hips or do anything other than lie and absorb the damage.  The stoppage when it came was harsh but it did look nasty.  Both of them at that point were fucked though, thought they might have needed to bring the oxygen tank out for Kimbo.

I enjoyed the event as a whole though... was little doubt Kimbo would win though, they want to keep milking him a bit more.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Kopite
« Reply #636 on: June 1, 2008, 05:36:26 pm »
Disgraceful main event, Thompson won it and had it robbed from him by Gary Shaw not wanting the Kimbo money train to stop, they were both fucked and his ear bursting would not have affected him. Just goes to show that Kimbo isnt anywhere near a top level fighter, Shaw was saying the other week that Kimbo is a bigger draw then rampage that he might be due to his youtube fame but he would be dessimated by Rampage if they ever shared a cage/ring.

Offline DC8

• Main Stander
« Reply #637 on: June 1, 2008, 10:03:26 pm »
pretty much sums it up perfectly for those who didn't waste their night watching it.

MMA’s network debut mocks true sport

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports 13 hours, 21 minutes ago

It sounded like such a good idea when the news broke a few months ago that CBS would broadcast a series of mixed martial arts cards in prime time.

But after watching its effort on Saturday’s Elite XC show from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., the good news might be if CBS opts not to do another show.

These were supposed to be the professionals who would show the amateurs at the Ultimate Fighting Championship, who do their own production, how it’s supposed to be done.

And while neophyte play-by-play man Gus Johnson acquitted himself well and analysts Mauro Ranallo and Frank Shamrock didn’t embarrass themselves, the broadcast dragged on interminably.

There was more chatting than “The Tonight Show.” Fighters were introduced as they made long, slow walks to the cage, then were introduced again once they hit the cage. Given that the show went 45 minutes over its allotted time, what do you want to bet the ring walks will be eliminated if there is another show on CBS?

For some reason, particularly early in the broadcast, CBS chose to use its overhead camera to repeatedly show Elite XC’s skanky-looking cheerleaders doing nothing more than shaking their butts.

This wouldn’t have been so bad had there actually been a fight on the air every now and then. But after the show had been on the air for 32 minutes, there had been 61 seconds of actual fighting. When it was 70 minutes into the show, there had been just 2:12 of fighting.

The whole show was built around Kimbo Slice, the Internet-generated star whose street fights made him into something of a mythical figure in the sport before he’d ever faced a serious opponent.

Slice’s name and face was everywhere in the days and weeks leading up to the bout. Considering the way this dragged on, though, you have to wonder how many folks were still awake when the bell rang to begin Slice’s bout with James Thompson at 11:27 p.m. ET, nearly a full half-hour after the show was supposed to have been over.

While it was mostly C-level talent on display, the fighters by and large held up their end of the bargain. Brett Rogers delivered a one-punch knockout of one-time Syracuse linebacker Jon Murphy in just 1:01 in the first fight of the night.

After glorifying loutish middleweight Phil Baroni as some sort of star – ignoring the fact he’d lost three of his last four and was just a decidedly mediocre 10-9 coming in – CBS looked bad when he was knocked out in 1:11 by Joe Villasenor.

The next two bouts were sensational. Gina Carano outslugged Kaitlin Young after two rounds and middleweights Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith went at it fiercely until Smith was inadvertently poked in the eye in the third, forcing a premature end to their middleweight title bout.

The main event showcased two mediocre fighters in mediocre condition, though after listening to Johnson, Ranallo and Shamrock, you’d have thought we were watching the MMA equivalent of Ali-Frazier.

Have no doubt about this: Slice would be destroyed by any legitimate mixed martial artist. Had Slice faced ex-WWE champion Brock Lesnar, the current UFC rookie hopeful, he’d have been beaten in less than two minutes.

As it was, Slice struggled his way to a sloppy third-round knockout of a complete tomato can.

You can’t blame Slice, because he had no business being in a main event of a mixed martial arts bout at this stage of his progression. It takes years of training and sacrifice to reach the main event in MMA and Slice was only there because of the notoriety he’d gained in his YouTube street brawls.

It was kind of ironic that at the show’s opening, Shamrock said with a straight face, “You won’t find them fighting in a bar and you won’t find them fighting in the street.”

Really?

Well, this card featured a guy (Baroni) who fights in bars and another who made his name by fighting in the streets.

CBS should have known better.

The fans deserved better.

The sport deserved better.

The CBS folks ought to take a look at the WEC card on the cable network Versus on Sunday to see how an MMA show is supposed to be put together. They’ll learn from watching that show how to introduce the viewers to the fighters but not drag the show on like a book that goes on 200 pages too long.

They’ll see quality fights between trained and competitive MMA fighters.

Hopefully, CBS didn’t manage to turn off a large segment to the country to what is a classic and compelling sport.

There’s no question, though, that CBS didn’t do MMA any favors Saturday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AjAJhtGTfKD2dlQBPpT_v9Q5nYcB?slug=ki-elitexctv060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: June 1, 2008, 11:19:12 pm »
I can see why CB Dollaway is the favourite to win TUF7 think its only really Jesse Taylor or Tim Credeur that may have a chance of beating him.
Heres a clip I seen of one of his first fights, one hell of a slam this

DOLLAWAY SLAM KO
Jesse won his Quarter Final against Dante - shite fight.
Amir won his QF against his good mate Matt - better fight but the lack of quality in any of these fighters so far is not a great advert for the show. Haven't they done any conditioning? They are all fucked at the end of the 1st round.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: June 5, 2008, 07:12:55 am »
Been reading a lot recently and took in a couple of UFC Books.

Matt Hughes - Decent read and inisght into his background, farming, twin brother, the church how he got into the UFC and his fights, worth a read. Comes across as a bit of a nob at times but that's how I think of him anyway

Iceman - Brilliant book if you want to know all about the UFC and how it was set up, Chuck is very honest about every fight, the whole Tito thing even down to how much money he made for every fight. Brilliant part in the book where Dana was begging him not to take the first fight with Babalu cos it was a risk as Chuck was no1 contender for a Title Shot but the Iceman got his lawyers on the case cos he simply wanted to fight and it was in his contract! Probably lacks a bit of detail about his lifestyle or his street fighting for me