Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1050805 times)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16320 on: September 14, 2017, 03:25:02 pm »
I hated flip phones, found them too girly. Only good thing was flipping the screen down violently after an angry phone call.

Realistically, I'm not sure what else they could introduce on smartphones that would revolutionise the game. Perhaps the ability to play 3D movies or act as a HD cinema projector.

I think Lenovo or somebody like that has already made phones including a projector, it is probably not a huge use-case for many people particularly as it would reverse a lot of this stupid need to make phones thinner.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16321 on: September 14, 2017, 03:27:36 pm »
People saying that Apples phones arent innovative anymore? I would say that applied to all phones. Since the iPhone 4 all weve had is improvements. Better screen, better camera, faster hardware, better battery life. I think the only true progression has been with fingerprint and facial recognition technology.

We could actually look at this as a positive for us as consumers, your expensive phone lasts that much longer or your cheaper phones are that much more effective, now if they would only up battery life more per generation we would have even less need to upgrade and sadly that is probably why they don't do it.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16322 on: September 14, 2017, 03:30:17 pm »
I don't think it's running out, I mean I imagine 15 years ago many people couldn't have imagined today's smartphone features if you asked them.

Think we'll see advancements like over-the-air power, which will see the need for big batteries diminish. That could lead to see through screens which in turn would allow AR/VR to be workable on phones. The AI side of things will keep on developing too.

In the end it'll probably lead to the screen not even being needed with it all displayed in front of your normal vision (contact lens maybe?).

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16323 on: September 14, 2017, 05:03:49 pm »
I don't think it's running out, I mean I imagine 15 years ago many people couldn't have imagined today's smartphone features if you asked them.

Think we'll see advancements like over-the-air power, which will see the need for big batteries diminish. That could lead to see through screens which in turn would allow AR/VR to be workable on phones. The AI side of things will keep on developing too.

In the end it'll probably lead to the screen not even being needed with it all displayed in front of your normal vision (contact lens maybe?).
Not much has changed in the last 7 years though . From Iphone 4 to Iphone 10 the only major differences are improvements in existing tech (i.e better batteries & faster processors), facial recognition and wireless charging. Other than that the 4 is just a slower, smaller 10.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16324 on: September 14, 2017, 05:15:03 pm »
Not much has changed in the last 7 years though . From Iphone 4 to Iphone 10 the only major differences are improvements in existing tech (i.e better batteries & faster processors), facial recognition and wireless charging. Other than that the 4 is just a slower, smaller 10.

I think you're underestimating the level of development which has gone on during that time though. Some of the things you pass off as just improvements to existing tech are actually massive steps forward and have taken a ridiculous amount of knowhow (and research dollars) to develop.

Apple don't spend upwards of $10bn a year on research for nothing!

Offline Yanwoo

• Internet. Serious business.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16325 on: September 14, 2017, 05:16:17 pm »

Agreed, we're reaching the a point of maturity in smartphones where innovation naturally becomes more gradual and evolutionary - as it did in desktop PCs and laptops. Even those things you mention, from a user perspective, are quite small improvements (and that's subjective if they're even improvements) - our phones have been secured with user authentication and chargeable since the early days...

AR and VR are exciting possibilties, but not inhererently about smartphones and the compelling use cases will take time to unfold. Smartphones will obviously have a role in that, but they may not be the primary delivery mechanism.

For me, the most exciting developments are happening outside of the phone. If you think about it, a phone is a similiar paradigm to the early days of personal computing: a bunch of tech in a box that can do lots of different things. We're just at the beginning of putting connected technology out in the world, not locked up in a box on our desk or in our pocket. The possibilties there are enormous, and that's probably where we're going too see more revolutionary stuff.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16326 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:34 am »
Anyone else take the plunge? I was sorely tempted to stick with my iPhone 6 but I was swayed in the end by having something new with more storage, the 20% corporate discount I get with EE helped too. I'd maxed out the storage in my 64GB iPhone 6 so I've gone for an iPhone 8 with 256GB storage for £50 a month on an 8GB data contract.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16327 on: September 15, 2017, 11:00:12 am »
Will go for the X when it goes up for pre-order at the end of October.

The 8 doesn't offer enough of a temptation over my 6 given it isn't a form factor change and I'm pretty happy with the performance of the 6.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16328 on: September 15, 2017, 11:33:10 am »
For those considering the X, does that ugly notch at the top put you off it somewhat, it just seems like an unnecessary change when nobody would have criticised them for allowing enough room for the camera on the front any more than they did with Samsung, LG etc when they brought out designs like this earlier in the year.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16329 on: September 15, 2017, 01:08:48 pm »
For those considering the X, does that ugly notch at the top put you off it somewhat, it just seems like an unnecessary change when nobody would have criticised them for allowing enough room for the camera on the front any more than they did with Samsung, LG etc when they brought out designs like this earlier in the year.

It's wasted space if they do that though. This way it can be used for battery/signal strength/time and other apps will find novel ways to use it.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16330 on: September 15, 2017, 03:10:47 pm »
It's wasted space if they do that though. This way it can be used for battery/signal strength/time and other apps will find novel ways to use it.

Talking of wasted space:

https://twitter.com/thomasfuchs/status/907764896829452288

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16331 on: September 15, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »
It's to maintain the rectangle when browsing, and will do the same when watching videos. It would be a bit silly if it didn't.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16332 on: September 15, 2017, 05:19:29 pm »
Talking of wasted space:

https://twitter.com/thomasfuchs/status/907764896829452288

I imagine any phone with rounded corners to the screen will do so, not much of a shocker.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16333 on: September 15, 2017, 06:38:57 pm »
Will go for the X when it goes up for pre-order at the end of October.

The 8 doesn't offer enough of a temptation over my 6 given it isn't a form factor change and I'm pretty happy with the performance of the 6.

Same mate but to be honest I am just thinking about keeping the 6.

It does depend what the likes of EE are charging monthly though also.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16334 on: September 15, 2017, 07:14:38 pm »
When's it all gonna end? iPhone 27? iPhone 58?

Surely we're getting to the point where purchasing a phone now is as good as we will ever need. How much longer can the likes of Apple produce new phones that make people actively go out and buy, despite having the 'best' phone already. I'm not sure if I'm framing this right, but compare Nokias to the iPhone 4 - big gap. iPhone 4-X - big gap. In both cases, the original technology was good (for the time) but never brilliant. iPhone X - and other phones now - are arguably brilliant and so my question really is, in 5 years time, is the technology really going to be that much better to warrant buying that model over the latest release?

I feel like it's a bit of an end game in terms of smart phones, unless technology massively changes - such as not needing batteries, circuit boards etc. but we're far off that to be in phones, aren't we? Plus I don't know how much better the OS can get - bar the freshened up look every time.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #16335 on: September 15, 2017, 09:12:19 pm »
I can get an iPhone 8 pre-order if I trade in my iPhone 6S for $300 off.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16336 on: September 16, 2017, 08:25:16 am »

Might well just get the X.

The 8 isn't much of an upgrade.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16337 on: September 19, 2017, 07:38:42 pm »
iOS 11 has dropped.  A new visual style for some apps.  It will take getting used to, the icons look a little less defined.

The new control Centre seems good, and the drag and drop file Centre seems sensible, but I’ve yet to use it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #16338 on: September 19, 2017, 07:50:53 pm »
I'm going to hang on for the X - the Plus screen size in non-Plus form factor is mighty attractive

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #16339 on: September 19, 2017, 07:52:01 pm »
I'm going to hang on for the X - the Plus screen size in non-Plus form factor is mighty attractive

It depends what they offer me. If I can get $300 off a new phone I don't mind that.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16340 on: September 19, 2017, 10:03:41 pm »
A,though multitasking on ios11 is superb....

Very clever and simple to do
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16341 on: September 19, 2017, 10:07:46 pm »
Actually it’s incredible...  totoally changes the user experience.
W

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16342 on: September 19, 2017, 10:54:07 pm »
All my text messages have disappeared. How do I get them back?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16343 on: September 19, 2017, 11:11:25 pm »
Just ask Charlie to send the 2 pictures again mate  ;D

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16344 on: September 19, 2017, 11:16:55 pm »

Did you back it up?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16345 on: September 19, 2017, 11:17:47 pm »
Just ask Charlie to send the 2 pictures again mate  ;D

;D

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16346 on: September 19, 2017, 11:18:32 pm »
Did you back it up?

No.

It says they're saved in settings. Saved where?

Offline SheikhMo

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #16347 on: September 21, 2017, 04:10:09 pm »
How long till we get phones that can produce holograms?
"If you're struggling in a game you can either do two things, send your centre back (Robert Huth) up front as a centre forward or use Luis Garcia between the lines." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #16348 on: September 21, 2017, 05:19:13 pm »
Came in here hoping to see others leading me away from the temptation of the X over the 8 (I have a 6 with a dying battery) but ya'll tech whores

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16349 on: September 21, 2017, 06:05:56 pm »
Came in here hoping to see others leading me away from the temptation of the X over the 8 (I have a 6 with a dying battery) but ya'll tech whores

I've pre-ordered the 8 plus so will hopefully be able to pick it up tomorrow. Moving from a Galaxy S6 that is having more bad days than good lately, so gonna try iOS again.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16350 on: September 21, 2017, 06:54:42 pm »
Is correct

:lmao

That said, 6 to 8 is a good upgrade  - 7 to 8 not so much

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16351 on: September 21, 2017, 08:37:04 pm »
I've pre-ordered the 8 plus so will hopefully be able to pick it up tomorrow. Moving from a Galaxy S6 that is having more bad days than good lately, so gonna try iOS again.

Why go for the 8 plus?

Why not the X?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16352 on: September 21, 2017, 08:49:46 pm »
Apple had no idea how to get my messages back which is worrying and having gone on the Apple forum it seems that this is now a common problem.

Apple seem clueless to why it's happening.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16353 on: September 21, 2017, 08:50:50 pm »
No.

It says they're saved in settings. Saved where?
Why did you not make a backup of your phone?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16354 on: September 21, 2017, 09:21:14 pm »
Why did you not make a backup of your phone?

Got a life.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16355 on: September 21, 2017, 09:25:20 pm »
Got a life.
Och! Was a serious question.

Golden Rule - always take a backup before any major operating system update (irrespective of platform - IOS, Android, Windows, Linux, etc)

Edit: I mean 'backup' requires plugging it in, pressing a button, entering a password and going off for a cup of tea. It's really not time consuming.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16356 on: September 21, 2017, 09:34:16 pm »
Och! Was a serious question.

Golden Rule - always take a backup before any major operating system update (irrespective of platform - IOS, Android, Windows, Linux, etc)

Edit: I mean 'backup' requires plugging it in, pressing a button, entering a password and going off for a cup of tea. It's really not time consuming.

I haven't updated my software.

My messages just disappeared. It seems a major problem that Apple has no idea why it's happening.

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16357 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:46 pm »
Why go for the 8 plus?

Why not the X?

Don't like that notch at the top, no home button either and I can imagine the upfront cost of the phone and the tariff prices will be huge.

My Galaxy S6 is getting worse by the day so need a new phone now. Can't wait another 6 weeks or so for the X to be available.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16358 on: September 21, 2017, 09:49:19 pm »
Don't like that notch at the top, no home button either and I can imagine the upfront cost of the phone and the tariff prices will be huge.

My Galaxy S6 is getting worse by the day so need a new phone now. Can't wait another 6 weeks or so for the X to be available.
O2 is looking like £30 upfront and £77 per month for 20gb of data.. not cheap.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16359 on: September 21, 2017, 09:49:59 pm »
I haven't updated my software.

My messages just disappeared. It seems a major problem that Apple has no idea why it's happening.
oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

ah okay

:butt