Author Topic: Robbie Fowler..oh Robbie!  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Sufian

• Main Stander
  • Behind Every Great Fortunes, There is a crime
    • Under Construction
Robbie Fowler..oh Robbie!
« on: October 13, 2001, 05:37:55 am »

Taken from the official website :

Robbie Fowler has admitted the constant newspaper speculation regarding his future does affect his form.

Fowler said: "If I pick up a paper seven days a week, I can guarantee I'll probably be in at least five times. That affects me more than anything.

"Five days out of those seven you can bet someone somewhere is having a go at me. Playing at a big club everyone is always looking for stories so I know it comes with the job. But if I'm playing it's a story and if I'm not playing it's an even bigger story.

"I didn't play against Grimsby because I was ill but I was thinking the other day you can guarantee if I had played I probably would have taken the brunt of the criticism in some newspapers. I'm not talking about from the manager, but you can bet the majority of the reports would have said I was to blame if I'd had a bad game. I feel that's the kind of situation I'm now in.

"I'm not saying it's an excuse for how I'm playing but when you go out and feel you have to try and prove people wrong all the time you can end up trying too hard. Maybe I'm trying too many fancy things, passes and stuff which won't come off.

"I try not to let all the stick affect me but there's only so much a person can take. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and if people want to give me stick fair enough, but eventually it does affect you.

"So much has been said and written about me over the last 12 months. I've never moaned when people criticise me and it doesn't usually affect me so much, but it's my family who get hurt when they read about me all time.

"People who really know me will tell you I don't go looking for it. I'm not a loud or obnoxious person who always wants to be in the paper.

"Maybe there are people who think they see a different side to me if they only see me out with a gang of lads or whatever. Maybe I come out of my shell more then and people get the wrong perception of me. But I never try to upset anyone."

Fowler also hit back at the criticis m that he can't accept the rotation system employed by Gerard Houllier at Anfield.

Fowler said: "A lot of people have made a big thing about the rotation system and questioned my attitude to it.

"I'm in a position with five or six players at Liverpool where we know we're not going to play in every match. Of course I and everyone in the squad want to play in every game. But we have so many to choose from now, no-one is guaranteed a start.

"If I'm not playing or I'm subbed people say I'm moaning. But it's not like that. Okay, if I'm honest maybe 10 per cent of me is moaning, because if you're getting subbed it's natural to feel frustration. You always want to be playing. But it's more to do with the fact I know in my mind the reason I've been brought off is probably because I've been having a bad game so I get frustrated with myself. It's different if you come off because you're tired or for tactics.

"But the day I come off the pitch laughing and joking and happy because I've played badly and Liverpool are losing, everyone can hang me in the middle of Anfield if they like. I know it will never happen because I'll never be happy with myself if I'm subbed because I'm not playing well."

And he also said that Liverpool will bounce back after W-cup defeat. But will HE ever bounce back. It was interesting that Robbie's slump Maybe has anything to do with Liverpool current tactics..which is all about DIRECT DIRECT DIRECT ball! Like what Paul Tomkins stated that Gerrard Houllier will deploy a tactic that will suit Liverpool FC (as to win) rather that suiting a single one player! ???
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »
Liverpool Football Club is the best thing that God ever gave me

Offline C.B Alonso

• Old skool RAWK Photographer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Aallriight!"
Re: Robbie Fowler..oh Robbie!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2001, 07:22:52 am »
He'll always have the fans backing him, no matter.
Lets fucking create an atmosphere instead of complaining about it.

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2001, 09:24:27 am »
It's a great article.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2001, 12:03:17 pm »
Robbie will still score goals in this current Liverpool team, but not as many as the 37 or two 31-goals a season years.

But at the end of the day GH needs results from Liverpool, irrespective of who scores, and if it takes a Jerzy Dudek hat-trick every game he'd be more than happy (as would I, having put £100 on Jerzy to be top Prem goalscorers at odds of 1,000,000,000,000-1.  Who'll be laughing on the other side of their faces when I win, eh? Someone told me they'd seen Jerzy practicing free kicks and penalties... of course, they didn't say whether he was taking them or trying to save them. Doh!)

Offline kopite29

• Main Stander
  • Euro Glory Days
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2001, 12:15:12 pm »
Maybe I'm trying too many fancy things, passes and stuff which won't come off.

This is the only reason that 'some' fans are not entirely happy with Robbie.
Could it be that the rest of the team aren't on the same wavelength as Robbie when he tries these fancy things.

That lovely through ball for Murphy to score against the Toon was simple yet brilliant. If Robbie did that to assist in scoring two or three a game I'd be quite happy if he didn't get on the score shhet. (if you see what I mean)

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2001, 07:31:16 am »
Sufian - thanks for that excellent article regarding Robbie.  It's funny, 'cos most of the sentiments he's expressed in it, are exactly how I thought he must be feeling right now.  I have the feeling that the press are trying to ruin him.  The poor guy can't breathe without it being reported and, he seems constantly under pressure to impress.

As you said Kopite29, I would be more than happy if he could produce more of the kind of sublime passing he produced to set up Danny for that goal against the Toon.  There's nothing to be ashamed of when you can assist like that.  

Even though I'm a huge fan of Danny's and, was delighted with his equalising header against Leeds today.  I kinda wish that Robbie had got that shot in the net.  Just for his sake, to shut those critics of his up for 5 minutes and, give the guy some peace!
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2001, 01:03:23 pm »
and the critics just wont leave him alone. From today's Sunday Times "Sven-Göran Eriksson was watching but can have learned little of a positive nature. Certainly Robbie Fowler, who was found wanting against Greece last weekend, will not have advanced his cause one whit. "

What does he have to do?????

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2001, 05:41:34 pm »
Fowler at the moment is not in his best form. I remember that he was also out of sort for some time prior to his cruciate ligament injury.

Of all the strikers that we have, Robbie (at his best) is the best in business. Even better than Owen.

Robbie's various injuries over the years did not help. But as GH has hinted earlier this season, it's more to do with his diet.

I personally think that Robbie needs to be lighter to be at his best. During season 95/96 when he's scoring goals at will, he's in his best physical shape. Then, he had a blistering burst of speed that we hardly see these days. Man U away, Arsenal home, Aston Villa home are just a few examples of Robbie's finest moments.

I don't know whether we'll see him in that kind of form again. But it didn't stop me from 'hoping' that our Robbie will be back.

Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline John Barnes, Anchorman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2001, 10:59:14 pm »
Fowler's rightly got a special place in everyone's heart, but Owen's by far the bigger asset Nazrin.  Personally I don't think we should need to compare them.  That's why I'm .... erm ... comparing them.

Offline Eli_B (aka Badland Red)

• The resident lurking Saddler
  • Legacy Fan
    • My Mobile Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2001, 12:24:50 am »
Well done for posting the thread about Robbie (god makes me funky) Fowler!. I have to agree with the comments made by Chester, SuperDan and The_Game's comment's about him.

The printed media won't rest until Fowler is hounded out of Liverpool. I'm sure that will not happen and his peach of a lob deserved to get goal aganst Leeds. I hope that that moment will slowly, but surely get his confidence back!  :D :) :D ;D

Walsall FC aka the red and white Saddlers. The innovators as well as the first sports team in England/UK, to sell the Chicken Balti Pie:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/ 

With a soft spot for the redmen of Liverpool since the League Cup Semi Final 1984. RIP to the 39 in Brussels and of course the 96.