Author Topic: Ricky Gervais podcasting  (Read 121306 times)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Re: Ricky Gervais podcasting
« Reply #1080 on: May 1, 2020, 08:47:55 pm »
Awful stuff compared to what he put out earlier in his career. The Office, Extras, Xfm/podcasts are all genuinely brilliant pieces of comedy that I'll rewatch year after year but virtually everything he's put out since then has been mediocre to shite.

All his recent stuff just smacks of laziness to be honest

I get why people have lauded Afterlife - it is emotional and Gervais has always done emotion well in every series he's made.

Series 1 was excellent IMO for the most part - it was a good mix of humour and sentiment. Series 2 just felt like a poor and lazy rehash with the wore 'c*nt' thrown in wherever possible to see how many people he can offend.

Since 'Derek' Gervais seems to have these weird fetishes about deranged/mentally unstable/creepy characters such as the guy who wanders into the media room every so often in Afterlife (was also in Derek) or just hideously crass characters like the therapist in Afterlife. They aren't needed.

In the Office you had crass characters like Finchy and Tuffy but it was counterbalanced by genuine good people and impressive acting. In Afterlife none of the characters seem to be that likeable or have any sort or chemistry - it actually feels like Gervais is just trying to shoehorn in any actors he obviously seems to like and know well as most of them appeared in his other work from the last 10 years or so.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1081 on: May 1, 2020, 11:27:55 pm »
I liked it. I think some bits hes got bang on. The bit about not wanting people to show sympathy was spot on. I've had a rough couple of years and someone asking me how I am makes me cry, I just cant help it.

I agree with you untouchableluis about the swearing. Was a bit too much. Once Mrs. Meldrew had had a go, that should have been it.
Although I laughed, Joe Wilkinson wanting to use the bathroom was a bit mad.
I did like the dogshit bloke, when he said "this is the least of my problems" I genuinely laughed out loud.

Does anyone know if hes had a falling out with Stephen Merchant? As they dont seem to work together anymore.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1082 on: May 2, 2020, 12:51:44 am »
I actually preferred Season 2 to Season 1. I thought it was all too sentimental in Season 1. Season 2 was a lot funnier, but I genuinely idolised Gervais' earlier work as listed above but I actually think since he made "The Invention of Lying" his work took a nosedive.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1083 on: May 25, 2022, 04:12:01 pm »
Whatever happened to punching up in comedy?

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1084 on: May 25, 2022, 09:18:11 pm »
I didn't know he was an atheist

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1085 on: May 25, 2022, 09:24:31 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: May 26, 2022, 07:23:04 am »
There goes Ricky Gervais, I must remember to thank him.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: May 26, 2022, 07:51:08 am »
Thought parts of his latest stand up on Netflix were brilliant but others were barely even stand up - more him having a tirade against certain aspects of society. There's only so many times he can use the athiest and 'I'm very rich' stuff before you lose interest a bit...Still better than most comedians. Dare I say i preferred Jimmy Carr's attempt to get cancelled this year.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: May 26, 2022, 08:27:55 am »
I was entertained, but it was several levels below for example Dave Chapelle’s latest specials.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: May 26, 2022, 09:39:40 am »
Hes capable of making great TV, although its a shame he hasnt done so recently.

As a comedian hes awful, because Gervais himself is thoroughly unlikable
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: May 26, 2022, 11:00:43 am »
I think Merchant really tempers he worse tendencies as a writer as After Life hasn’t an ounce of subtlety and is really self indulgent … find it hard to believe he truly sees it as his best work, hopefully that’s just marketing.

Saw the new comedy special … few lol moments but same stuff again really.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1091 on: May 26, 2022, 01:35:52 pm »
I went and watched that tour live, was actually much better than the Netflix version of it IMO.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1092 on: May 26, 2022, 01:57:26 pm »
I found his special desperately lazy.  All the stuff about trans people (and Dave Chappelle) utterly shite.

The whole 'free speech', 'it's only jokes', 'you should be able to laugh at anything' ideology to be tiresome.  The Daily Fail are hailing it as a backlash against cancel culture....that should be a good indicator of how off the mark it is.

I'm no fan of James Acaster but he nailed it with his description of the edgy comedian
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: May 26, 2022, 02:32:50 pm »
The Daily Fail are hailing it as a backlash against cancel culture....that should be a good indicator of how off the mark it is.

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1094 on: May 27, 2022, 02:49:21 pm »

A pair of twats kissing the arse of a twat.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: June 2, 2022, 09:15:15 am »
Stephen Merchant carried him for years.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1096 on: February 16, 2023, 10:08:59 pm »
Just going through the old shows again, up to Karl attempting to break the world record for putting the most burgers in his mouth at once :lmao

When Steve starts having the conversation with the cashier in McNasty's :lmao
AHA!

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1097 on: February 17, 2023, 08:29:20 am »
Well get me in the book then

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #1098 on: February 18, 2023, 08:18:37 pm »
Just going through the old shows again, up to Karl attempting to break the world record for putting the most burgers in his mouth at once :lmao

Where are they available to listen to?
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: February 19, 2023, 12:15:38 am »
Never mind your beard, where’ve you been for three days?!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: February 19, 2023, 01:33:24 am »
He's no Scholar that's for sure.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1102 on: February 19, 2023, 09:43:20 am »
Never mind your beard, where’ve you been for three days?!

Right go on then, let’s do hairy Chinese kid
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1103 on: February 19, 2023, 09:51:13 am »
I just can't get past his voice. Not sure there has ever been anyone more annoying.

Perfectly cast as the annoying shithouse David Brent.

The problem he has is that he is David Brent.

Just read he's from Reading. Does everyone around there speak like that? Imagine that every day :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 10:03:43 am by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1104 on: February 19, 2023, 10:26:04 am »
I just can't get past his voice. Not sure there has ever been anyone more annoying.

Perfectly cast as the annoying shithouse David Brent.

The problem he has is that he is David Brent.

Just read he's from Reading. Does everyone around there speak like that? Imagine that every day :D
Yeah pretty much the local accent
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1105 on: February 19, 2023, 10:28:42 am »
Yeah pretty much the local accent

Kinell :D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TankEngine10

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1106 on: February 19, 2023, 09:36:35 pm »

Absolute classic. I probably relisten to the XFM episodes more often than is strictly necessary/healthy.

Shame Ricky has turned into such a miserable wanker over the last decade.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: February 21, 2023, 12:43:52 pm »
After Life ... could have sworn the early episodes were good but by season 3 it just feels like homework. Since it dropped on Netflix I've watched two, maybe three episodes. I liked his sex worker friend, where did she go? Anyway, can't stand the thought of this miserable c*nt opening his laptop again to watch yet another video of him and his dead missus laughing like hyenas at his irritating childish antics. What a fucking nauseating pair, no wonder there's no friends in any of the videos.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1108 on: February 21, 2023, 12:54:57 pm »
I think he took it a little too seriously when people have said in the past he can act a bit (when Brent was getting a bit emotional, or in Extras) and so...in every fucking thing he does, he cries. He kinda went from writing mainly funny shows with some nice/sad moments thrown in, to just depressing dirge. I mean that and Derek still had some funny bits, and some genuinely touching bits, but by christ it was miserable.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1109 on: June 24, 2023, 07:42:12 am »
Funny how Ricky made a career out of relatable cringe-comedy, but its the surrealism of the quotes and scenarios in the podcasts that will be making me laugh when I'm 60

'As me or as a worm?' is just the perfect encapsulation I think. As annoying as Ricky is a lot of the time, the show is massively elevated by the way he clearly just loved being in a room with Karl trying to poke comedy out of him.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: July 20, 2023, 10:30:58 pm »
Anyone see him at the M and S arena tonight? Thought it was hilarious. Brilliant stuff.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: July 21, 2023, 02:21:45 pm »
Anyone see him at the M and S arena tonight? Thought it was hilarious. Brilliant stuff.

Yep. Thought he was absolutely brilliant. I was crying all show. I’m certainly not his biggest fan or seen much since he was on the 11 o’clock show but mates are. Really glad I went, probably tops the best stand up I’ve seen and I’m a huge Kev Bridges fan.