Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1856765 times)

Pheeny

Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
Humph - I am only about 5'6" so am told a 50-52 frame would be fine.  I tried a Specialized 52 and it felt OK, but the bloke in the shop was worried that my leg might be locking out when seated!

Looks like I might have to opt for a child size frame lol......!
you can get the Specialized in 49... http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=40644&eid=115

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: July 23, 2009, 02:59:01 pm »
That looks Fab in Satin Black lol!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #482 on: July 23, 2009, 10:26:14 pm »

Strange. I'm not at all sold on Tiagra. I've spent hours fiddling with the front changer on my touring bike and still get more chainrub than I need, somewhere across the three chainwheels.
[/quote]

Just lucky may be there then as I was not expecting too much from a groupset 4th on the Shimano list and reportedly well behind the next upgrade 105.

Do get some chatter when on big front ring and big cassette back but that's to be expected and that's after 4 years.

The new steed has Campag carbon centaur which looks brill and is light but may be not as smooth as shimano top line

Pheeny

« Reply #483 on: July 23, 2009, 10:27:04 pm »
shitty weather here today,so did 45mins on the roller, kept my cadence above 100 so a good work out .

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #484 on: July 23, 2009, 10:31:52 pm »
Ever climbed the Koppenberg Pheeny?

Believe it's not that big but 22 % cobbles even has those at the rear of peloton walking!! you tube clips great.

Pheeny

« Reply #485 on: July 23, 2009, 10:42:49 pm »

Believe it's not that big but 22 % cobbles even has those at the rear of peloton walking!! you tube clips great.
no but a few in my club have.Done the Mur de Huy though http://kuitenbijters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=2:hellingen&id=24:mur-de-huy-huy&Itemid=6

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #486 on: July 23, 2009, 11:20:25 pm »
Did it on top ring all the way then Pheeny  ;)

You have some horror climbs for somewhere you don't expect (only cos your close to netherlands

I presume much more popular and respected over there - I did 45k today to and from work and saw only 4 other 'serious' cyclists!! 

Offline shippers

• The Fat Banana AKA Bicycyle Man!
  • Kopite
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2009, 12:00:24 am »

I raise you a Koppenberg with a Bwlch Y Groes ;-) Which defeated the state backed Russian squad when the Milk Race was still going.

http://www.mikecotty.co.uk/press/2nd_bwlch_groes.jpg

Just under 2 miles long and hitting 1/4.

I've been up "the easy way" but that was half way through a 200km audax. If you really want to experience pain I'd recommend entering the Wild Wales ride one year.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2009, 12:52:09 am »

This is my nearest proper bike shop www.philcorleycycles.co.uk and the stuff they have in there is proper scary. Intimidatingly so. I'm sure they're all nice enough but the one time I went there I was completely over-awed & felt way out of my depth, there were bits of bikes all over the place, it looked like they were having a re-fit but on closer inspection is was just things being fiddled with, repaired & serviced. The guy at the couter was having his TT bike serviced, P3 frame, light-weight (or maybe they were Zipp) wheels, dura-ace everything & stretched out bars, it looked the dogs & must have cost about £4000...

I'll only go back with £3k in my pocket...

I did my work experience there, many years ago.  It was great, spent all day building/fixing bikes, then taking them out for a quick ride.  Much more fun than any actual job I've had.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2009, 02:56:26 am »
Toughest pitch I can remember in Wales is the climb to Harlech Castle, short but fierce. I can't recall what the gradient was but certainly no place for a Sturmy Archer 3-speed.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: July 24, 2009, 08:00:15 am »
Does anyone know any good / decent independent Bike Shops in the Manchester area?

I have ordered a Scott Spedster to trial with Evans in Town, and also had a look in Harry Hall, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other LBS in the area that they have come across and could recommend?

Lots pop up on Google, but I haven't really been able to visit or read up about them.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Pheeny

« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2009, 09:22:47 am »
I raise you a Koppenberg with a Bwlch Y Groes ;-) Which defeated the state backed Russian squad when the Milk Race was still going.

http://www.mikecotty.co.uk/press/2nd_bwlch_groes.jpg

Just under 2 miles long and hitting 1/4.

I've been up "the easy way" but that was half way through a 200km audax. If you really want to experience pain I'd recommend entering the Wild Wales ride one year.
the problem with Koppenberg is that it's narrow so if the rider in front of you is in trouble its hard to get by him/her.Its also cobbles which are generally wet as it's in the shade.

Offline Bushy

• Hrtfordshir
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANNUAL RANDOM RaWKITE 2006
« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2009, 10:43:50 am »
Does anyone know any good / decent independent Bike Shops in the Manchester area?

I have ordered a Scott Spedster to trial with Evans in Town, and also had a look in Harry Hall, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other LBS in the area that they have come across and could recommend?

Lots pop up on Google, but I haven't really been able to visit or read up about them.

Theres a few listed in the manchester area in the TPT Guide book, I'll have a look when I get home and post em up for you, if thats any help?

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: July 24, 2009, 10:55:11 am »
Brillaint, thanks!

BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is the TPT Guide Book?

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #494 on: July 24, 2009, 07:06:36 pm »
Can this thread be used to discuss mountain biking or will I be forum-flogged?

do it, fuck all these weirdos with skinny tyres who stay on the roads
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Pheeny

« Reply #495 on: July 24, 2009, 07:20:18 pm »
I do both. :wave

Offline Bushy

• Hrtfordshir
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANNUAL RANDOM RaWKITE 2006
« Reply #496 on: July 25, 2009, 10:58:05 am »
Brillaint, thanks!

BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is the TPT Guide Book?

Sorry, TPT is the Trans Pennine Trail which goes from Hornsea to Southport.  Passes through stockport on the way.  The guide book has accomodation, pubs, bike shops etc in it.

Bardsleys Cycles 482 Manchester Road, Stockport
Woodsons 85 Castle Street, Edgeley, Stockport
Crown Point Cycles, 50 Stockport Road, Denton
P & H Cycles, 173 Market Street, Hyde
High Peak Cycles, 62a Victoria street, Glossop

That's all the ones listed near Manchester!

I do both too :wave

Pheeny

« Reply #497 on: July 26, 2009, 09:31:25 pm »
the specialized is a good choice.The bike I use to go too work is a Rockhopper.Got slicks on at the moment but that's because the bloke I sometimes ride with is a semi pro.

Pheeny

« Reply #498 on: July 28, 2009, 03:33:15 pm »
just done a 90k ride. With the "Mur de Huy" included

0-100 meter: 7,0 %
100-200 meter: 1,0 %
200-300 meter: 5,0 %
300-400 meter: 6,0 %
400-500 meter: 10,0 %
500-600 meter: 11,0 %
600-700 meter: 11,0 %
700-800 meter: 10,0 %
800-900 meter: 17,0 %
900-1000 meter: 15,0 %
1000-1100 meter: 14,0 %
1100-1200 meter: 15,0 %
1200-1300 meter: 6,0 %

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: July 28, 2009, 04:06:36 pm »
The 52cm Scott S40 didn't fit me, well I didn't fit it................. :'(

It looked fantastic as well, but they didn't have it in a smaller size (reduced to £729 as well!!!!!!  Have got them to order in the 2 bikes below: -

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-s30-20-speed-cd-2009-road-bike-ec016345

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/17-compact-2009-road-bike-ec016477

Does anyone have a preference to these?  I can get at least 10% off the Trek so that makes it cheaper than the S30!!!  Hopefully they will be there for me on Saturday to try out!

PS - yes, I am a short arse lol!!!!!!

Pheeny

« Reply #500 on: July 28, 2009, 04:57:24 pm »
purely for look wise I'd go for the Scott.But you can't go wrong with either bike.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #501 on: July 28, 2009, 06:52:29 pm »
just done a 90k ride. With the "Mur de Huy" included

5-1200m looks like a bitch. Trust you got some of that shade in the pic.
There's a section in my regular 40k out-and-back, right at the turning point, about 500m posted at 12% but I reckon it kicks to over 14 for about 200 and it's in full sun from 8 in the morning to 7 at night this time of the year. Worst thing is to look up and find you're further down than you thought.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: July 28, 2009, 06:56:43 pm »
The 52cm Scott S40 didn't fit me, well I didn't fit it................. :'(

It looked fantastic as well, but they didn't have it in a smaller size (reduced to £729 as well!!!!!!  Have got them to order in the 2 bikes below: -

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-s30-20-speed-cd-2009-road-bike-ec016345

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/17-compact-2009-road-bike-ec016477

Does anyone have a preference to these?  I can get at least 10% off the Trek so that makes it cheaper than the S30!!!  Hopefully they will be there for me on Saturday to try out!

PS - yes, I am a short arse lol!!!!!!

Don't know if they have it in your size, or whether it is in your price range, but if Cannondale's CAAD9 frame is supposed to be an improvement on their CAAD8 frame, I would be all over that, if I were you.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad9-105-triple-2009-road-bike-ec016028

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #503 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48:39 pm »
Nat, looks like your raising your budget a bit and to tempt you further it's now close to a carbon steed.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/SpecialEditionBikes.asp

Above link to Ribble and their carbon sportive/racing is great value - I've got same frame with different spec but can confirm the frame performance is superb especially better than Alu when climbing and descending.

Other value carbon are Planet X, Focus and Boardman and come pretty well equipped like the Ribble.

Sorry if this tempts breaking budget but carbon is that good.

Pheeny

« Reply #504 on: July 28, 2009, 10:57:57 pm »
Not that much difference between Alu or Carbon for the type of rides us mortals do.In fact might be better paying more for a better "group" on the bike than a lighter frame.   

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #505 on: July 28, 2009, 11:11:29 pm »
Not so much the lightness cos not great deal in that especially for mere mortals including myself who aren't that skinny.

It's the stiffness of bottom bracket and rear triangle and subsequent big improvement in power transfer I've noticed when pedalling uphill and far better handling descending and smoother ride in general.

First (and only commute so far - save it for weekend at moment) full 2 minutes quicker than previous best on decent Alu bike without pushing it over 20k.

Pheeny

« Reply #506 on: July 28, 2009, 11:16:23 pm »
stiffness of bottom bracket? Surely that's down to which one you have,especially with hollowtech.

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #507 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:19 pm »
stiffness of bottom bracket? Surely that's down to which one you have,especially with hollowtech.
Not the bottom bracket itself but the stiffness of that area of the frame is one of the differences for me.

Honest it's not a snob thing  ;)  I've found it genuinely quicker and better to ride

Pheeny

« Reply #508 on: July 28, 2009, 11:34:53 pm »
Not the bottom bracket itself but the stiffness of that area of the frame is one of the differences for me.

Honest it's not a snob thing  ;)  I've found it genuinely quicker and better to ride
sorry mate but I do think Carbon is for snobs or prof riders.Any benefits that a "club" rider would get are non existent. 

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: July 28, 2009, 11:43:10 pm »
Not so much the lightness cos not great deal in that especially for mere mortals including myself who aren't that skinny.

It's the stiffness of bottom bracket and rear triangle and subsequent big improvement in power transfer I've noticed when pedalling uphill and far better handling descending and smoother ride in general.

First (and only commute so far - save it for weekend at moment) full 2 minutes quicker than previous best on decent Alu bike without pushing it over 20k.

My CAAD 8 weighs less than 14 pounds, and I've never once noticed anything but all of my power being transferred to the road.

Carbon is not the be all, end all.

...I'd still say that the CAAD 9 would give Nat the best value for money.  Cannondale makes one of, if not the best, Aluminium frames in the world.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:51:48 pm by High_Cotton »

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #510 on: July 28, 2009, 11:44:51 pm »
sorry mate but I do think Carbon is for snobs or prof riders.Any benefits that a "club" rider would get are non existent. 
Have to agree to completly disagree then.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: July 28, 2009, 11:49:58 pm »

I race my CAAD 8 in crits, and I enjoy thoroughly passing guys whose frames cost thousands more dollars than mine.

...doesn't mean I don't want an S3, but even if I had one, I don't think I'd race crits with it.  I'd be too afraid of what might happen to it... :P

Pheeny

« Reply #512 on: July 28, 2009, 11:52:29 pm »
I race my CAAD 8 in crits, and I enjoy thoroughly passing guys whose frames cost thousands more dollars than mine.

...doesn't mean I don't want an S3, but even if I had one, I don't think I'd race crits with it.  I'd be too afraid of what might happen to it... :P
its all in the "legs" not the frame. ;)

Offline humph77

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #513 on: July 29, 2009, 12:11:24 am »
 :)

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #514 on: July 29, 2009, 02:39:07 am »
You "it's not the bike" guys should have ridden my old grocery delivery bike.  ;)
Ploughed into a bloke who pulled out without looking once and totalled the passenger-side door. Bike was unscathed. It must have weighed about 70 pounds unloaded.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: July 29, 2009, 03:02:13 am »
its all in the "legs" not the frame. ;)

Very true.

You're right though.  I think people get a little too wrapped up with the whole carbon thing.

The only frame in Cannondale's current lineup that I haven't ridden for at least half an hour is the CAAD9,  and my CAAD8 is as stiff or stiffer in all the right places than all of them (SuperSix, Six and Synapse), and in all honesty, it really isn't noticeably heavier if you equip it with like components (most super stiff carbon frames are heavier as a result of the quest for stiffnes, as you well know).

Heck, I don't know if any of you remember back in 2003 when Cannondale ran their "Legalize My Cannondale" campaign. The CAAD7 that the Saeco Pro Cycling Team rode that year was under the UCI legal limit with stock options. If that's not enough, they lightened and strengthened the frame with the CAAD8 and CAAD9 framesets.

I think that the only Carbon frames I'd get at the moment are the ones that are Aero (Cervelo S-line, Felt AR-line and the Ridley Noah).  What most slower people don't realize though, is that the aero really doesn't do much for them any good (other than looks), as they don't go fast enough to get any really advantage...

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: July 29, 2009, 03:03:28 am »
You "it's not the bike" guys should have ridden my old grocery delivery bike.  ;)
Ploughed into a bloke who pulled out without looking once and totalled the passenger-side door. Bike was unscathed. It must have weighed about 70 pounds unloaded.

;D

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02:27 am »
The problem I have though, is this is my first Racer, the 2 bikes I had originally seen (Trek 1.5 @ £680 and Scott S40 @ £730) I cannot get.  By stretching my budget to around £800, I can pick up either the Trek 1.7 or Scott S30.

I know Evans will be willing to do something on the price, as I am not doing the ride2work scheme, and will accessorise from them as well.  I just don't really know what benefit I would get from spending over £1k on a bike?

Or is that just a little naive of me..............?

Pheeny

« Reply #518 on: July 29, 2009, 08:57:42 am »
not naive at all Nat.More sensible if you ask me.My first bike was a 2nd hand one,bought it to see if I'd enjoy serious cycling before splashing out.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: July 29, 2009, 11:51:27 am »
It's definitely not naive of you at all.

My advice would be to get the best frame that you can get for the money you're looking to spend that not only fits you well, but that you can also ride for at least a few minutes (the longer, the better).  You need to ride the bikes you're looking at so that you can tell if they're right for you.  Remember, looks aren't the most important thing in a bike, and you can only really evaluate the most important thing if you ride it.

With that said, I would really suggest seeing what your dealer can do about the price of the Cannondale CAAD9.  The most expensive CAAD9 build over here (the CAAD9 5, according to Cannondale's website) is $1400US, but don't be fooled by the cost.  Cannondale prioritizes the sale of it's most expensive bikes, so they don't stock the CAAD9 with anything higher than 105 components.  The CAAD9 is the culmination of 25+ years of aluminium frame design, and the frame has multiple grand tour stage wins, and 3 or 4 Giro wins among other trophies collected over the years.  It is a racing frame that is light, stiff and fast.  In terms of value for money, it is the best deal of the bikes posted (aside from overall just being the best bike).