Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1850118 times)

Pheeny

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #361 on: May 15, 2009, 04:03:01 pm »
Just upgraded my bike with this

Do you mind me asking how much that lot cost? I reckon to get those bits over here would set you back more than £500... I'm thinking about buying a carbon frame & building it up into a summer bike (& turning my SCR into a winter bike) & want the Ultegra GS to go on it with the wheels I purchased (above).

Have my race on Sunday, 1st ever Sportive & I have to admit to being terrified. Not just the distance, 81m/130km (which some would say is measley but is still about 13 miles than I've ever cycled in one go before) but also the discipline of cycling in a big bunch is completely alien to me. I'll just try to sit tight & pedal nice & smooth I guess...
@ManifoldReasons

Pheeny

« Reply #362 on: May 15, 2009, 04:23:00 pm »
I bought everything separate and from different places.But yea was a touch over £500.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: May 15, 2009, 05:09:26 pm »
Yesterday I did 109km. I was getting a bit ropey towards the end but generally felt it went pretty well and no bad side-effects today (though I went out for a casual 10 mile ride and my legs weren't quite as powerful as they'd normally be ;D).

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »
Been out loads recently, really pleased as everyone has gotten into it. We are doing the Manchester to Liverpool at the end of May so have been doing 20 mile rides regularly. Surprising where the bike takes you but also how quick too

Offline shippers

• The Fat Banana AKA Bicycyle Man!
  • Kopite
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2009, 06:46:48 pm »
Just ordered a new bike, been challenged to get fit to do Paris Brest again in 2011. I'm far too heavy for my racer (1999 Giant TCR ONCE Team Bike, Campag Record, Nucleon Wheels), and my second bike got nicked (2006 Specialized Tricross).

So I've ordered a Raleigh Royal Tourer. 500 quid brand new, gets delivered mid-July as it's a new model. Will let you know what I think if anyone is in the market for a low cost tourer. I REALLY need to start doing centuries again towards the end of the summer.

Pheeny

« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2009, 09:23:50 pm »
doing the "Frans Schoubben Memorial" in Tongeren tomorrow. 100k with 7 major hills.

Mortroux 6% - 1,5km
Charneux 6% - 4km
Le Vau 6% - 1,5km
St Pierre 6,5% - 1,4 km
Roclenge 6% - 2,5km
Richelle 7% - 2km
Xhavée 6% - 1,5 km

if I'm feeling OK I might carry on and do the 155k which has an extra 7 major hills.(although the plan is to do a club ride of around 100k on Sunday)Most of the route is around the area of the "Liège-Bastogne-Liège" which is the race that Frans Schoubben won in 1957 (local of Tongeren)

heres one of the hills on the 155k - la redoute

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:28:24 pm by Pheeny »

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: May 19, 2009, 04:28:04 pm »
Despite the attempts some mindless idiot(s) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8054215.stm) Sunday's Etape Caledonia was brilliant.

I was shattered at the end & it's difficult to assess a proper time because of the sabotage, my official full time was 6hrs and 40 mins but the organisers reckon the sabotage caused a delay of about 1hr 25mins. My cycle computer registered my ride time as 5hrs 15mins so by the time you add on stops at three water stations, literally to refill, I reckon about 5hrs 25mins to 5hrs 30 mins is about right & I'm pretty happy with that given two things, 1 - How unfit I was when I decided to take this on and 2 - it being my first event like this ever.

I feel like doing it again next year just to put two fingers up to the twat who sabotaged the race, at least the bizzies have made an arrest...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8057084.stm
@ManifoldReasons

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #368 on: May 19, 2009, 07:38:16 pm »
doing the "Frans Schoubben Memorial" in Tongeren tomorrow. 100k with 7 major hills.

Mortroux 6% - 1,5km
Charneux 6% - 4km
Le Vau 6% - 1,5km
St Pierre 6,5% - 1,4 km
Roclenge 6% - 2,5km
Richelle 7% - 2km
Xhavée 6% - 1,5 km

if I'm feeling OK I might carry on and do the 155k which has an extra 7 major hills.(although the plan is to do a club ride of around 100k on Sunday)Most of the route is around the area of the "Liège-Bastogne-Liège" which is the race that Frans Schoubben won in 1957 (local of Tongeren)

Wow respect!

I feel sick at that, am getting better at the hills, no longer have to get off and walk up the hill!

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2009, 10:29:17 am »

Mortroux 6% - 1,5km
Charneux 6% - 4km
Le Vau 6% - 1,5km
St Pierre 6,5% - 1,4 km
Roclenge 6% - 2,5km
Richelle 7% - 2km
Xhavée 6% - 1,5 km

Cheers for the reply about the Ultegra GS, kinda re-assuring that we're not getting ripped off too much over here, my LBS reckons everything has gone up on account of the value of the pound dropping...

How long did the above take?
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: June 2, 2009, 10:33:22 am »
Recently completed my first multi-day cycling tour. Bedford to Aberystwyth, approx 200mi/320km over 3 days.

First day was Bedford to Alcester, approx 80 miles and was reasonably flat. Day 2 was Alcester to Kington (basically on the Welsh border). Worcester to Bromyard was horrific at times, especially in the heat and humidity of friday, but I got the 60-odd miles done in about 6 hours. 3rd day was Kington to Aberystwyth. I assumed it would be lots of up-hills, but other than 2 or 3 early on it wasn't so bad, especially as the road quality is very good.

Sadly my camera's memory card has decided to break, so it seems i've lost all my pictures I took :(

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #371 on: June 2, 2009, 06:22:05 pm »
Recently completed my first multi-day cycling tour. Bedford to Aberystwyth, approx 200mi/320km over 3 days.

It's the back-to-back days that kill you. I used to ride to and from work a few days a week during the summer, 70k round trip and lots of hills. Just a couple of times I rode all five days and coming home on Friday it was as if somebody was hanging on to the back of the bike. You keep looking down at the drivetrain to see if there are any more gears. Hills you can take on third or fourth seated on Monday are first and standing by Friday evening.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: June 2, 2009, 06:58:54 pm »
Haha yeah. Going along the flat bits early in the second and third days weren't so bad. You tend to start off a lot slower but once you get going you can quite comfortably reach top speed. It's when you first hit a decent sized hill that you realise that your legs don't quite have as much strength as they did back on day one ;D

I completed it on saturday and I didn't actually feel too bad on sunday. Slightly stiff legs because I know I didn't warm down and take as much care of my legs as I would do if I knew the next day I would have bike another 60 odd miles - but yesterday was just terrible. My legs ached worse and my whole body was shattered ;D I guess it's just my body making up for lost sleep and relaxation. I went for a nap last evening and woke up at 9am today.

Pheeny

« Reply #373 on: June 2, 2009, 07:22:39 pm »
It's the back-to-back days that kill you. I used to ride to and from work a few days a week during the summer, 70k round trip and lots of hills. Just a couple of times I rode all five days and coming home on Friday it was as if somebody was hanging on to the back of the bike. You keep looking down at the drivetrain to see if there are any more gears. Hills you can take on third or fourth seated on Monday are first and standing by Friday evening.
I know what you mean,I use the MTB to get to work a round trip of 40k(sometimes do a detour to up the diestance)come Friday my legs are starting to feel it.Then I have a days rest on the Saturday ready for the club ride on Sunday morning,which varies from 90k to 150k.Oh yea and every now and then I do an organized ride on the Saturday...

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #374 on: June 2, 2009, 07:52:35 pm »
Something "Pheeney" want to tell us? :-)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/jun09/jun01news2

Phinney talks Roubaix win

-----

Just booked to see the final day of the tour again. Hopefully Cav will make it this year, seems to be talking a good game. Doesn't sound as if he's aiming for green though. Then again he said he didn't think he'd win Milan-San Remo :-)

Offline chopperchittar

• Legacy Fan
  • Fellas, I'm ready to get up and do my thing
« Reply #375 on: June 2, 2009, 07:57:25 pm »
dunno know anything about bikes but looking for a good quality road racing bike, any recommendation would be welcome. Have bout 300 to spend
fit as a butchers dog!

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #376 on: June 2, 2009, 08:07:50 pm »
dunno know anything about bikes but looking for a good quality road racing bike, any recommendation would be welcome. Have bout 300 to spend

As a good starter true road bike (as opposed to tourer/commuter), Specialized Allez's have a good reputation. Bit more than £300 though. Don't really think you'd get a worthwhile road bike which would encourage you to ride for anything less than £500. You could try buying it through Cyclescheme, http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/, which would bring the price down around your budget.

You could try finding your local road club, you might be able to get a second hand bike, or decent advice through them.

Anything really cheap and new imho would just get annoying, components being cheap, bad geometry etc.

Pheeny

« Reply #377 on: June 2, 2009, 08:31:03 pm »
I've got a Allez all be it much upgraded one.(The only original piece is the frame) Must say that for a starter its an excellent bike.But if you up your mileage you should think about upgrading it.

Pheeny

« Reply #378 on: June 2, 2009, 08:33:49 pm »
Something "Pheeney" want to tell us? :-)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/jun09/jun01news2

Phinney talks Roubaix win

-----

Just booked to see the final day of the tour again. Hopefully Cav will make it this year, seems to be talking a good game. Doesn't sound as if he's aiming for green though. Then again he said he didn't think he'd win Milan-San Remo :-)

;D as for the Tour.Pisses me off to think a few years ago before I was into cycling it actually came through the town I now live it and I didn't go to watch.Still at least I can say I ride to work on part of the "Tour"...

Offline chopperchittar

• Legacy Fan
  • Fellas, I'm ready to get up and do my thing
« Reply #379 on: June 2, 2009, 08:43:42 pm »
Cheers for the advise, Pheeny
fit as a butchers dog!

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #380 on: June 2, 2009, 09:18:34 pm »
My new toy!
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #381 on: June 3, 2009, 12:29:50 am »
Then I have a days rest on the Saturday ready for the club ride on Sunday morning,

I'm always amazed how much one day's rest can help, even when you were trashed the day before.

Just went for a 30K spin which turned into an epic:
1) Flat rear tyre, 9K out. Bad spot for a flat, mid-day sun and traffic whizzing by. Rode the rim 100 metres to a shaded area to fix it.
2) Changed the tube and inflated in a tearing hurry. Broke the presta stem. Tube now useless.
3) Took deep breath, found the puncture in the original tube (a snake bite) and went for the patch cement. Cement tube is full - of air and dried cement. I've got 6 patches and nothing to stick them with.
4)  Hang on though, I've got one of those no-cement patches dating back to the time when I still believed they worked. I apply, put the tyre back on and pump, a bit more carefully this time.
5) Tyre goes up and deflates again. Pull it all apart. There's another hole caused by a staple through the tyre. Probably the original puncture. The snake-bite came from riding the rim. How many times do I have to learn that lesson? Now, as well as no cement, I've got no no-cement patches. I'm wearing the same look I saw on Gordon Milne's face when he trotted into the Kop net to pick out the ball after Swansea's second goal, 1964 6th round FA Cup: this can't be happening.
6) Apply the piece of duct tape I carry as an emergency stopper. Does nothing. Not to put too fine a point on it, I'm fucked and too far from home to walk in fancy cycling shoes.
7) Hitch a ride into the next town where I know there's a bike shop. It went out of business last Friday.

And so on and so on. When I finally got home four hours later, covered in sweat and chain oil, found my neighbour had stuck a back-hoe through the water main and the whole street had no water. It was too early to start drinking whisky.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: June 3, 2009, 12:41:29 am »
Now that's a bad luck story.

I remember once I was doing a ride to grafham water and back, and as i'm about a mile away from there (so basicaly as far away from home as possible) my chain jams. Not sure why, but it would not budge. So not only could i not cycle, I couldnt even push my bike.

After about 10 minutes of pissing about I managed to release it, much to my relief.

As for punctures... I twice got punctures (stupidly not bringing my repair kit or spare tubes) far from home, that wasn't fun. Though both times I managed to beg my way to getting a lift home :D Though I bought new tyres about 8 or 9 months ago and no punctures yet after maybe 1500-2000 miles or so.

Pheeny

« Reply #383 on: June 3, 2009, 08:33:41 am »
I always carry 2 spare tubes.Also the beauty about living in Belgium is there are so many cyclist that one will always stop and help if you are in trouble,also there seems to be a bike shop even in the smallest village...

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #384 on: June 3, 2009, 06:51:50 pm »
I always carry 2 spare tubes.Also the beauty about living in Belgium is there are so many cyclist that one will always stop and help if you are in trouble,also there seems to be a bike shop even in the smallest village...

I didn't throw in that bit. Just as I'm pulling off the tyre for the first time a guy on a loaded touring bike passes and gives the standard "Have everything you need?" and I wave him on. I've got a spare tube, spare tyre and patch kit, ready for anything thanks. An hour later I'm searching the horizon for cyclists for a dab of cement, and none in sight. The next town's a ferry terminal and usually crawling with cyclists. Didn't see one in an hour of waiting. I should have stayed in bed.

Though I bought new tyres about 8 or 9 months ago and no punctures yet after maybe 1500-2000 miles or so.

That's some going. I've had five in one ride, but that's because of all the construction that's been going on around here. Buckled a wheel beyond repair last year on a pothole.

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #385 on: June 3, 2009, 07:51:03 pm »
This looks worth going to see. Set of Crits, and they're riding Southport on Thursday 11th June

http://www.tourseries.co.uk/RoundInfo.asp?Round=SOUTHPORT&Id=23

The Tour Series is a 10 round city centre cycling race series, which brings unique gladiatorial and exciting team racing to the streets near you.

Starting on the 21st May 2009, 10 teams of 5 highly tuned professional cyclists will engage in combat against each other to become the overall champions of The Tour Series.

In this new concept in cycle racing, never seen on television previously, the teams will aim each night to place their top 3 riders in the highest positions at the end of 1 hour of intense, fast paced and attacking racing with all the thrills and spills of any other speed sport.

The Series will generate excitement, fun and enjoyment for spectators and television viewers. This will provide towns and cities the opportunity for a day of cycling festivities.

Enjoy your visit, this site will provide you with all you need to know about The Tour Series during the lead up and also be the perfect place to find the results from each round.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: June 3, 2009, 11:33:09 pm »
That's some going. I've had five in one ride, but that's because of all the construction that's been going on around here. Buckled a wheel beyond repair last year on a pothole.

Yeah, the tyres I got with my bike started off alright, getting only one puncture in the first 3 or 4 months but then I got 2 in the space of a week and I decided to upgrade tyres to ones that seemed to be a bit more puncture-proof.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/schwalbe/marathon-plus-tyre-ec001798 These are the ones I bought, and they've served me very well, as well as buying higher quality inner tubes (I used to have fairly generic ones from Halfords or whatever, but moved up to Specialized ones.

But yeah, I'm surprised they've done as well as they have, especially as there are plenty of bits of road I regularly go on that are in pretty poor condition.

Now watch as I get a puncture the next time I go out.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #387 on: June 4, 2009, 11:23:26 pm »
Thanks for the Schwalbe tip, RobertB. I'll check 'em out.

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #388 on: June 5, 2009, 12:11:39 am »
I highly recommend Continental Grand Prix's if you want a durable audax/racing tyre. Did a whole SR series and Paris-Brest on the one set of GP's (I think they where 3000's then) (including all the training). Not one puncture.

Schwalbe Marathon's are a legendary kevlar protected touring/commuter tire. But they can be "slow" especially on heavy roads, from what I remember they're quite hard to get on the rims.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: June 5, 2009, 12:39:23 am »
I found them easy to put on, but I did notice them feeling a bit slow the first time I used them. I'm used to it now so it's not an issue. For 99% of the time I find i'm able to easily get up to a very good speed (and mine is a hybrid/touring bike rather than an out and out road/racing bike).

I guess if you're into racing then they might not be the most efficient tyre in the world, but if you're #1 concern is not getting a puncture then they seem a pretty decent bet!

I'm not an expert on bikes by any means, but they've served me very well and that's all I can say.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #390 on: June 5, 2009, 05:30:00 pm »
Speed isn't something I can afford to fret over any more. I shake my head over some of the times I used to put in but no sense getting worked up about it. The great thing about cycling is it's superb exercise without the stress on your joints of, say, jogging or squash or whatever.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: June 5, 2009, 07:25:55 pm »
Yeah, so in that case the ones I said might be a good option. They may seem a bit heavy in comparison to others, but it's not even noticeable 95% of the time.

I never really used to be in to cycling, but then one summer I developed shin splints really badly so cycling was pretty much the only exercise I could do. And I found out that I enjoyed it and actually was quite good at it (which is a change from most sports :D).

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #392 on: June 5, 2009, 10:08:14 pm »
Yeah, so in that case the ones I said might be a good option. They may seem a bit heavy in comparison to others, but it's not even noticeable 95% of the time.

I never really used to be in to cycling, but then one summer I developed shin splints really badly so cycling was pretty much the only exercise I could do. And I found out that I enjoyed it and actually was quite good at it (which is a change from most sports :D).

I'm not really having a go at the Schwalbe's for speed inherenly. As I said very reliable touring commuting tyre. Hell I'm not really that quick. But I found a faster tyre on a roadbike like the Conti's great for durability over long distances. My ex-club wanted me to ride all sorts of distances as a time triallist after I did PBP (they had this notion I'd break the club 24 record of 450 miles), but frankly I wasn't interested, even though with the right setup I most probably could have done it. I reckon a short distance time trial tyre would be cut to shreds in an hour over some of the heavy roads a sportive or audax is run over. Even if you're not going fast, a quicker tyre really helps conserve energy, especially when you get into riding 150-200 miles in a day.

Pheeny

« Reply #393 on: June 5, 2009, 10:35:09 pm »
with regards to tyres,I've tried all sorts from Schwalbe to Specialized now I'm riding on some that I bought for 7€ out the cheap rack and they so far have been the best I've had.No idea what the make is as there is no markings...

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #394 on: June 5, 2009, 11:25:50 pm »
with regards to tyres,I've tried all sorts from Schwalbe to Specialized now I'm riding on some that I bought for 7€ out the cheap rack and they so far have been the best I've had.No idea what the make is as there is no markings...

But you're in Belgium, they most probably came off a veal calf that's been forced to run up and down the Mur for every day of its short life ;-P

Pheeny

« Reply #395 on: June 5, 2009, 11:49:53 pm »
But you're in Belgium, they most probably came off a veal calf that's been forced to run up and down the Mur for every day of its short life ;-P
lol bought them via internet from Holland ;)

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: June 6, 2009, 06:03:15 pm »
lol bought them via internet from Holland ;)
Aha! Hemp tyres.

Do you know the north of Belgium? I'm cycling fully-laden from Moenchengladbach to Bruges next week, ideally avoiding all hills.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Pheeny

« Reply #397 on: June 6, 2009, 08:03:53 pm »
Aha! Hemp tyres.

Do you know the north of Belgium? I'm cycling fully-laden from Moenchengladbach to Bruges next week, ideally avoiding all hills.
I live the other side but don't think there are many hills that side,so you should be OK

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: June 9, 2009, 02:51:15 pm »
Hello - just posting in here so I can find the thread again, and ask lots of newbie questions :)

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: July 8, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »
I currently have a 2006 Cannondale CAAD 8 R800 that is upgraded heavily.  I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade frames.

Anyone have anything they like a good deal?

I've been looking at the Cervelo S2, one of the Madone frames, and a Litespeed frame.