Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1854636 times)

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #18440 on: July 24, 2014, 09:01:47 am »
Good god. That sounds bad. Pass on our regards from the RAWK cyclists.

Could of been a lot worse.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18441 on: July 24, 2014, 09:39:17 am »
Doesn't sound good at all. Hope he is okay

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18442 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:17 am »
Just emailed Billy...thank fuck it wasn't worse.

Send him an email or pm him to let him know he's in your thoughts.

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18443 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:51 am »
On a 200 plus day.

Heads like a Belisha beacon. ;D
200 Miles, in one day.

Fuck me, that is mighty impressive, and in this heat too.

Well done man, well done.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18444 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:27 am »
Just emailed Billy...thank fuck it wasn't worse.

Send him an email or pm him to let him know he's in your thoughts.

Is Billy the guy who goes under BLERT on here?

Reading of the accident and the injuries, ohh man really horrendous bad luck there and of course I wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18445 on: July 24, 2014, 10:58:40 am »
Is Billy the guy who goes under BLERT on here?

Reading of the accident and the injuries, ohh man really horrendous bad luck there and of course I wish him well and a speedy recovery.
It is,Paul.

It's not really impressive mate..now yours..hell yes.

Your ride is the best ride this year by any cyclist in here and won't be bettered.I'm massively impressed by your mental and physical strength.

Well done.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18446 on: July 24, 2014, 04:56:30 pm »
205 miles and 11187 of climbing and an off. :) tit!!

Was a good day.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18447 on: July 24, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »
Thanks for all y'all's posts..they're appreciated..but it's not a big deal doing a 200 mile ride.

Anyone on here with the spare time can do one...really.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18448 on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:03 pm »
The quality isn't that good, it is a bit dark, well, because IT WAS DARK haha.

From my bike ride on Tuesday, the 1st half an hour from Rowlands Gill to Newcastle Quayside    :)

http://vimeo.com/101634838

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18449 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:54 pm »
Thanks for all y'all's posts..they're appreciated..but it's not a big deal doing a 200 mile ride.

Anyone on here with the spare time can do one...really.

The day I can do that is the day I will phone Bradley Wiggins and tell him to kiss my arse haha, seriously, I think it's something quite special and bloody amazing.

200 miles in a day, on a pushbike.  Well done.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18450 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:42 pm »
Thats me back home safe and sound anyway  :D  Thanks for all the kind words guys. Feeling pretty sore all over and a bit sorry for myself but to tell the truth it's much better than the alternative. when I saw my bike - or what was passing as a bike - the first thought I had was how the fuck did anyone walk away from that? This was echo'd by the policewoman who simply couldnt believe I was walking about, albeit with a broken leg. Funny thing adrenaline.

I have no real recollection of the accident but I THINK it was along the lines of we'd (3 of us) realised we had just turned left instead of right at a T junc. Quiet country roads really. I was at the front and moved to the centre of the road signalling right. I recall (or seem to) seeing 2 cars waiting behind us and thinking no probs to whip round now. I think I got across the white line when the bike appeared right next to me (from behind us) and the rest I think I was unconscious for. I have a feeling the motorbike sped passed the cars not seeing that i'd indicated to turn, and the rest is history. I dont know this for certain, but I am a pretty safe rider. I need to speak to the other guys as if it was my fault then so be it - but I cant see me just swinging round in a road.

Anyway the bike hit me at 50mph and the next thing I know I was arguing with 2 people who were telling me to stay lying down as they could see my ankle was broken (Cycling shoe gone walkies and foot pretty ripped up too).

Anyway ended up pretty battered and bruised. broken wrist and ankle and a pretty fucked up face which was no change really.I think my other wrist is broken but they say not. Also have something on my kidney now which I had to have a MRI scan and then later on an Ultrasound one. i have no feeling above my right eye straight back to the rear of my head - surgeon says this feeling might or might not come back. Cheers mate.

My whole bodys riddled with small lacerations and large grazes. Theres a cool part from the base off my ball sack all the way down my thigh and past my knee that is completely purple. Looks quite cool actually. Jus feel like there's not a part of my body that doesnt hurt no matter what I do.

I know its early days but I think that might be the cycling over for me. Docs reckon I'll be out for about 12 weeks which will see the sunny season done with. But to tell the truth I got a bit of a scare when I saw the remains of the bike and have no idea how I walked/limped away from it. But the wost part was when my 7 year old came in today and burst into tears saying he doesnt want me to get hurt again.  I know its prob a one in a million chance, but not sure I want to risk it again.

Apologies if this sounds negative, and scaremongering, but just the way i feel about it at the mo. Might change my tune later on.

The motorbike rider was in the next bay to me an has smashed his shoulder up and gets operated on tomorrow. I have to go in and have a pin inserted in my wrist on Wed probably.

The shame was that I was riding really well and was hammering the guy who just done LEJOG on the hills. It was a beautiful evening and I felt boss.

Wish I had bike insurance now  :-\. Also i've no doubt there'll be a he did this/he did that insurance company doo dah. I'm a member of the BCC so will check what they have to offer in the way of advice/help.

The most surreal moment? The surgeon who was just about to stitch up the massive gash above my eye "Do you want a picture as I can actually see straight through to your bone?" followed immediately by "oooh, one inch lower and I'd be trying to stitch 2 halfs of your eyeball together"   made me laugh anyway  :D

Anyway guys, just ride safe please.

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18451 on: July 24, 2014, 10:56:56 pm »
Jesus Billy, sounds like you're lucky to still be with us.

Get well soon mate.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18452 on: July 24, 2014, 11:37:25 pm »
Billy, thoughts are with you mate, looks like you're lucky to  still be with us  after those injuries look after yourself mate Albie
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18453 on: July 25, 2014, 01:22:52 am »
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Billy

Hit by a motorbike doing 50mph and hearing of your injuries, it sounds horrific and you must be hurting from head to toe.

All the best Billy, take care man    :)

PS
They reckon the chicks love a man with a scar    ;)

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18454 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:09 am »
In April I set myself a challenge, and that was to do a 100 mile bike ride sometime this year.

Over the last couple of months I have been steadily upping the distances and recently have done rides of 63 miles, 67 miles, 71 miles, 75 miles and 88 miles.

When I done the 88 miler I knew I was ready for the 100.

Last night I went to bed at 8.30pm which was a waste of time, it was still light and was like a fucking oven in the bedroom.  Probably dropped off about 11pm.

Up at 3am and out the gate on my bike at 3.30am

102 miles done and the last 3 hours were pure torture, you could say it was rather warm.

You guys, Pheeny, Dave, Billy and all you keen cyclists who post in here knock hundred plus mile rides off all the time, and I'm amazed when I read about your rides.  This 102 mile on my hybrid bike does make me feel like I've done something canny good today    ;D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/547230636

Saw the post in the goals thread. Congrats, Paul.  :)
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #18455 on: July 25, 2014, 07:54:17 am »
Unbeliebable Billy.
Delighted that you still have your good looks and sense of humour.
I'll write more later but i have the family digging at me cos we are going into town to watch the Giants today.
All the best for a speedy recovery mate and whatever bike decision you make is the right one pal  :wave
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18456 on: July 25, 2014, 08:00:42 am »
Billy. :wave

If you're packing in cycling  can I have yer Spidey jersey. ;)

Get we'll soon la. :wave

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18457 on: July 25, 2014, 08:53:33 am »
Billy. :wave

If you're packing in cycling  can I have yer Spidey jersey. ;)

Get we'll soon la. :wave

Its probably a bit tight round your stomach area mate :-)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18458 on: July 25, 2014, 08:58:23 am »
Its probably a bit tight round your stomach area mate :-)
Probably....fuckin deffo..glad to see you're still laughing brother. :wave

Offline Stevo79

• Kopite
« Reply #18459 on: July 25, 2014, 09:17:52 am »
Glad you're ok (ish) and are here to talk about it, sounds horrific.

Like Billy said, any decision you make regarding cycling will be the right one, plenty of time to think about that later on though, just concentrate on getting better.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #18460 on: July 25, 2014, 09:24:41 am »
Billy's bike...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18461 on: July 25, 2014, 09:38:37 am »
I am definitely, 100% putting my hard hat on every single time now.  Lots of times I don't bother.  The photos of Billy's bike and his injuries have woken me the hell up.  Think I should invest in a suit of armour as well.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18462 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:46 am »
I am definitely, 100% putting my hard hat on every single time now.  Lots of times I don't bother.  The photos of Billy's bike and his injuries have woken me the hell up.  Think I should invest in a suit of armour as well.

No helmet, no ride.

Thats the rules when we go out round my way.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #18463 on: July 25, 2014, 12:21:27 pm »
Fuckin hell.. I take a few days r&r in Cornwall with no Internet and all hell breaks loose. Billy glad you made it out of that crash and hope you get well soon, this weather is great for healing wounds and confidence. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you regarding cycling in the future and just hope you keep posting in here whatever.

On the bright side I hope you've tipped the surgeon for taking a few years off your looks.

Congrats to Black & White Paul for achieving your century goal even though I'm jealous that you beat me to it and dave stop pretending 200 miles is nothing when it's actually quite a long way even for you so chapeau lad.

The rest of you slogging out the miles be bloody careful out there, Billy's bike photo is a massive wake up call for all of us and the difference between the near miss we've all had and a hospital bed.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18464 on: July 25, 2014, 01:16:11 pm »
New bike day!

Pick the new ride up at 4pm. Hope they've set it nicely as I want to take it straight out.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #18465 on: July 25, 2014, 01:54:16 pm »
Best wishes for a full and swift recovery.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18466 on: July 25, 2014, 01:58:16 pm »
Billy, thoughts are with you mate, I'm sure you'll be back on your feet in no time. If the saddle has to wait a bit longer, so be it!

I might do York-Scarborough and back tomorrow, once I hit Malton though its A64 all the way, anyone rode it (scary?)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18467 on: July 25, 2014, 02:04:47 pm »
Billy, thoughts are with you mate, I'm sure you'll be back on your feet in no time. If the saddle has to wait a bit longer, so be it!

I might do York-Scarborough and back tomorrow, once I hit Malton though its A64 all the way, anyone rode it (scary?)
A 166, B 1253,onto B 1249,A 64 into Scarborough.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18468 on: July 25, 2014, 02:20:31 pm »
Billy's bike...

Defy Advance 2?

Such a shame to see it like that

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18469 on: July 25, 2014, 02:22:06 pm »
A 166, B 1253,onto B 1249,A 64 into Scarborough.

That's my afternoon at work spent on google maps...

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18470 on: July 25, 2014, 02:23:07 pm »
That's my afternoon at work spent on google maps...
;)

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18471 on: July 25, 2014, 02:26:57 pm »
Off on my jollies tomorrow afternoon but plan a quick 60mile scoot out to Holme Moss tomorrow.

I'd love to take my bike with me on holiday but I value the family jewels too much.

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #18472 on: July 25, 2014, 04:38:16 pm »
ive got a hybrid bike and ive rode is twice this week and had two punctures on the back wheels !

Is this just bad luck ?

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18473 on: July 25, 2014, 04:46:58 pm »
Just got back from seeing the Giants in Liverpool, bloody hard work in the sun carrying a baby round etc..
Anyway, back to business.
Hey Billy, make sure you grab your headpost cap. Call it a lucky charm eh and get it put somewhere safe. Still can't believe how 'lucky' you are mate. It made me wince looking at your mush. Probably not the first time you have heard that  ;)
That's a few lads in here had big wallops i remember Feint Zebra having a spill on black ice last year sometime and said no more bike at the time but he's riding again so it's an open ender for you Billy but no rush eh.
You can always drive the broom wagon on the sportives supplying beer and burgers half way round  ;D
All the best mate for a speedy recovery and keep popping in here to keep Davey on his toes  :wave
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18474 on: July 25, 2014, 04:53:07 pm »
ive got a hybrid bike and ive rode is twice this week and had two punctures on the back wheels !

Is this just bad luck ?
Are yer massively overweight like? if so...then no. :P

Do you have sufficient air in them as it's easy to roll the tyre and cause a puncture...or you could need new tyres.

Did you check the inside of the tyre when you replaced the tube for glass or thorns,metal?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18475 on: July 25, 2014, 05:00:27 pm »
Why do I have to be kept on me toes?

I'm fuckin lovely....look at that nice reply to the question above...classy c*nt me. ;D

Had a nice little ride planned for Sunday but I gotta go cook at a barbecue...bollocks.

So just a 140 tomorra instead.

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18476 on: July 25, 2014, 05:03:00 pm »

I'm fuckin lovely....look at that nice reply to the question above...classy c*nt me. ;D

Had a nice little ride planned for Sunday but I gotta go cook at a barbecue...bollocks.

No reason  8)   :wave

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18477 on: July 25, 2014, 05:04:47 pm »

Got a ton planned for tomorrow. Setting off early to avoid this heat.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18478 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:44 pm »
No reason  8)   :wave
I'd have thought just being meself was reason enough B. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18479 on: July 25, 2014, 05:16:07 pm »
Got a ton planned for tomorrow. Setting off early to avoid this heat.
New bike too?