Author Topic: Time for a new phone...  (Read 13334 times)

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Time for a new phone...
« on: March 31, 2006, 08:34:57 am »
I'm getting bored shitless of my Nokia 7610 now. I bought a nice shiny case for it, even that's getting boring! The problem is that I don't know where to sell it!

Shops like Carphone Warehouse buy used phones for like 10 quid, which is shit. eBay, I could try.. They go for around 40 quid there. Don't know anywhere else where they'd go for more!

The one I'm thinking of buying is Nokia 6111. Does anyone have this one? Any good? Ebay have them for around 150 quid, which is good for me.

Offline slimshady

• Stupidista
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Time for a new phone...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 11:51:56 am »
can i have your old one.....burd has thrown one of mine away,and smashed the other one up.....

Cheers in advance mate

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 02:21:03 pm »
For free? Izit fuck.

Make an offer, bruh!  8)

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2006, 11:33:53 am »
I've got the 7610, don't like it anymore either. It's ok for the first few months but it's nothing particularly special. Going to get the D600 in a few weeks.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2006, 09:59:30 pm »
I'm now opting for a silver D500. Should do me fine!

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2006, 10:29:42 pm »
How come you've decided to go for the 500 over the 600?

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 3, 2006, 02:27:00 pm »
What are the differences between em?

I really want a silver one, but there aren't any 600's in silver, so going for 500. Is the Z320i any good?

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #7 on: April 3, 2006, 07:24:20 pm »
What are the differences between em?

I really want a silver one, but there aren't any 600's in silver, so going for 500. Is the Z320i any good?

d600 is better out of all of them IMO. you have a memory card slot, upgradeable to 512mb. and a 2mp camera. a opposed to the 1.3 on the d500 and the z320i.

Offline AJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 3, 2006, 09:23:40 pm »
I'm drooling here, can't wait to get my D600.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #9 on: April 3, 2006, 10:07:13 pm »
I like this one.  I like phones that look nice. 

RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline khanpuri

• Malcolm Glazer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Rafalution underway - do not fuckin disturb
« Reply #10 on: April 3, 2006, 11:13:47 pm »
I like this one.  I like phones that look nice. 

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 4, 2006, 07:41:33 am »
I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the Nokia 6111. Some reviews saying they had problems with it not working and stuff and one critisism is that it has hardly no memory (a couple of songs, plus a few pics and videos is all you'll get on it, apparently), but apart from that it's got everything you'd want in a phone and it looks great! I'm thinking of getting one in the summer when I've got some money, unless something nicer has come out by then! ;D
I want that one too but the reviews are crap and other people have also said it aint all that good.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 4, 2006, 07:51:59 am »
It's a phone, you use it for phoning and texting. It's not a pair of jeans or a girlfriend.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 4, 2006, 07:57:12 am »
It's a phone, you use it for phoning and texting. It's not a pair of jeans or a girlfriend.

Different people use phones for different things. If you simply want it for talking and texting, a basic phone is fine. But having a good quality camera and expandable memory on a phone means that you can basically use it as a half-decent digital camera as well.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #14 on: April 4, 2006, 09:30:13 am »

A pair of jeans?  You wear them, whats the big deal?  Not like they 'do' anything.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #15 on: April 4, 2006, 09:39:32 am »
A girlfriend?  You wear them, whats the big deal?  Not like they 'do' anything.

Hi All

Also thinking about a new phone...

these are my choices for upgrade - what should I go for?

Sony Ericsson W550i

_____

Samsung D600

_______

Samsung Z320i

_______

Motorola V3i

_______

Nokia 6111

_______

Samsung S500i
(i-mode)

______

Samsung S400i
(i-mode)

______

Sony Ericsson W800i

______

All seem pretty similar specced give or take a little bit, and all are available to me at £19 a month.

Anyone able to benefit me of their experience of these phones, know anything about them, or even tell me to categorically NOT get one of them?

Also, anyone works for 02 could get me a better deal? Currently on O2 and would like to stay with them :wave
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 4, 2006, 09:45:10 am »
All seem pretty similar specced give or take a little bit, and all are available to me at £19 a month.

Anyone able to benefit me of their experience of these phones, know anything about them, or even tell me to categorically NOT get one of them?

I got a D600 on my last upgrade and I was really disappointed with it.  It was a backwards step from the D500.  Sent it back and replaced it with the SE K750i which is effectively the same as the W800i.  Haven't had any probs with the K750i at all its a superb phone.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 4, 2006, 09:46:16 am »
A pair of jeans?  You wear them, whats the big deal?  Not like they 'do' anything.

My jeans are made of the finest wool.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #18 on: April 4, 2006, 09:50:46 am »
Hi All

Also thinking about a new phone...

these are my choices for upgrade - what should I go for?

Sony Ericsson W550i

_____

Samsung D600

_______

Samsung Z320i

_______

Motorola V3i

_______

Nokia 6111

_______

Samsung S500i
(i-mode)

______

Samsung S400i
(i-mode)

______

Sony Ericsson W800i

______

Also, anyone works for 02 could get me a better deal? Currently on O2 and would like to stay with them :wave

the w800 mate. theyre all decent but thats by far the best by a long shot. in fact theres nothing that i'd recommend over that at the moment. ring o2 and say youve been offered something great by 3 and want them to match it or you'll leave. could possibly sort yourself a line rental discount or something.

Offline The not so lazy.boy

• Suspected Naturist Shoplifter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #19 on: April 4, 2006, 09:55:31 am »
I think the W800i mobile phone is overall the best phone for its price range! It comes with all the necessities such as bluetooth and infrared etc. It has all the basics, and it is also packed with the 2 mega pixel camera, which shoots remarkably good pictures given the size of the lens! Also the use of the memory card. Now personally I've found this to be a great feature as it is easy to just transfer the pictures I've taken onto the card, and then onto my laptop! The pictures tend to come out at a decent size also!

The phone comes standard with a 512Mb memory card, whereas its predecessor the K750i comes with a 64Mb card. This is obviously as the W800 will be used for storing MP3's! I went ahead and whacked a 1Gb card in to replace the 512Mb memory card! Although this is a great feature, the disc to phone software is not. It has trouble transferring any data that's not MP3, so I've found myself converting some of my MP4 music tracks from my laptop into MP3 so I can transfer them. 

The screen being so flat is very susceptible to damage, either through scratches or even cracks, and the keys i.e. for texting, are not as sleek as that of the K750i. Also the back of the phone is very weak compared to its Predecessor.  The MP3 player however is very good, and the speaker quality is above average. Another positive feature of the W800i is the good quality earphones provided, and boy do these babies pack a punch!

Overall, the phone is easy to use (unless your a complete moron, in which case you should get a Nokia);), and it is very aesthetically pleasing. I'd recommend this phone, as it's a camera, phone and MP3 Walkman all in one small little bundle. Good job Sony!!

Its the first phone Ive not got bored with 6 months into my contract... Don't you get 14 days to decide if you like it anyway?
Same shit, Different day!

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 4, 2006, 09:58:27 am »
I got a D600 on my last upgrade and I was really disappointed with it.  It was a backwards step from the D500.  Sent it back and replaced it with the SE K750i which is effectively the same as the W800i.  Haven't had any probs with the K750i at all its a superb phone.

Cheers. That rules out the D600 then! Pity - I like the look and size of them, and i think it was the highest pixel camera as well...

the w800 mate. theyre all decent but thats by far the best by a long shot. in fact theres nothing that i'd recommend over that at the moment. ring o2 and say youve been offered something great by 3 and want them to match it or you'll leave. could possibly sort yourself a line rental discount or something.

Cheers Matt. I was after something smaller really, (hence the selection of flip / slide phones) but that one does seem really good. Is it SO much better than the rest that I could ignore size, or is it only marginally better than some of the others? What about the w550i in comparison?

Looking at bigget ones, I can also have...
Sony Ericsson K750i
Motorola L7 - SLVR
« Last Edit: April 4, 2006, 10:02:06 am by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #21 on: April 4, 2006, 10:05:13 am »
Cheers. That rules out the D600 then! Pity - I like the look and size of them, and i think it was the highest pixel camera as well...

Cheers Matt. I was after something smaller really, (hence the selection of flip / slide phones) but that one does seem really good. Is it SO much better than the rest that I could ignore size, or is it only marginally better than some of the others? What about the w550i in comparison?

Looking at bigget ones, I can also have...
Sony Ericsson K750i
Motorola L7 - SLVR

k750i is the same phone as the w800i but with a smaller memory card.

the w550 you'll find is actually quite fat. I would personally say that the w800 is THAT much better than the samsungs & motorolas that it would be worth ignoring the size issue. Go into an o2 shop and see for yourself :wave

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 4, 2006, 10:05:58 am »
Whens the W950i due for release?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 4, 2006, 10:08:46 am »

the w550 you'll find is actually quite fat. I would personally say that the w800 is THAT much better than the samsungs & motorolas that it would be worth ignoring the size issue. Go into an o2 shop and see for yourself :wave

Cheers mate - one 5 mins away from my work, so will probably do that at lunch today.

Don't mind a thicker phone though-  tend to carry it in my jeans on a night out, so a small thick one is better than a long thin one (oo errr missus) as there's less chance of it snapping in half when I sit down :D

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 4, 2006, 10:09:23 am »
Whens the W950i due for release?

It's next parole hearing is in May, and it might get out then for good behaviour. :wave

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #25 on: April 4, 2006, 12:01:42 pm »
I'll probably stick with Nokia, went for a Motorola with my last upgrade, never again....

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 4, 2006, 12:32:56 pm »
I'll probably stick with Nokia, went for a Motorola with my last upgrade, never again....

Why?

I used to use Nokia all the time |9my first 5 phones were nokia) and was convinced they were the best, but I've had motorola for my last two, and they're just so much better, easier to use, better battery life, better coverage and signal strength, all importat stuff one touch away, even custom set shortcuts to things you use often.

Would be very reluctant to go back to Nokia again - though they may have changed a lot in the 3 years I've been using motorola?

What problems did you find with recent Motorola, or was it just a case of better the devil you know?

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #27 on: April 4, 2006, 12:46:44 pm »
Got a Razr thought it was an awful phone, gave it to my sister after a month, 50 text memory or so is like something from 3 or 4 years ago.

May have looked cool but as a phone it was far from great, maybe some of the other motorola's are better but for now I'm put of and I've been impressed with the Nokia N series which are similar to the big and bulky smartphones I've liked before!

As you say a lot of it is down to what you're used to especially in texting and so on, but I've always liked Nokias for doing the basics very well, which is most of what I use a phone for even though I like the bells and whistles anyway.

Was tempted by the K750/W800 last upgrade (wish I'd gone for it instead of the Razr) but a few people said to me that while the camera et al was fantastic as a phone it wasn't as good as it could have been. Would probably have gone for the 750 over the 800 on looks and just bought the memory card, at that stage that would have been the cheaper option as well.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #28 on: April 4, 2006, 12:53:36 pm »
I'm a clamshell-type, non-Nokia user.

Everybody uses a Nokia, I spring out a Motorola/Samsung...
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 4, 2006, 02:32:36 pm »
Got a Razr thought it was an awful phone, gave it to my sister after a month, 50 text memory or so is like something from 3 or 4 years ago.

May have looked cool but as a phone it was far from great, maybe some of the other motorola's are better but for now I'm put of and I've been impressed with the Nokia N series which are similar to the big and bulky smartphones I've liked before!

As you say a lot of it is down to what you're used to especially in texting and so on, but I've always liked Nokias for doing the basics very well, which is most of what I use a phone for even though I like the bells and whistles anyway.

Was tempted by the K750/W800 last upgrade (wish I'd gone for it instead of the Razr) but a few people said to me that while the camera et al was fantastic as a phone it wasn't as good as it could have been. Would probably have gone for the 750 over the 800 on looks and just bought the memory card, at that stage that would have been the cheaper option as well.

Yeah - heard that a lot about razr ones. Pity.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #30 on: April 4, 2006, 03:00:45 pm »
the new v3i is actually really decent, as is the v3x. Really hated the v3 but i love selling the new ones almost as much as the sony ericssons.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 4, 2006, 06:19:29 pm »
Nidgemo, that first orange one.. that's a great looking phone! I saw someone with it on the train... Oh, weighing up my options now.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 4, 2006, 07:40:38 pm »
What did you not like about it Graeme? Is it just 'cos you like stupid gadgetty stuff :P and do you think it will be adequate for someone like me who just wants it to look pretty, text, phone, take some decent photos sometimes and have a few songs on (already have an MP3 player so it's not like I'm wanting to use it as a proper MP3 player). P.S. Long time no speak :(

I've dug out my rant about the phone at the bottom of this thread...

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=93932.0

Just thought they'd made no advance on the D500 which I had before.  I'm not generally very fussy, I'd never sent a phone back before in all the years I've been getting a new phone every year.

I had Nokia phones for a few years, then Samsung for a couple and am now on Sony Ericsson which I think are the best phones available.  Much better than Samsung or Nokia.

So in answer to you Samsung or Nokia dilemma, I say neither :P

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 4, 2006, 09:21:59 pm »

:wave

popped into the local 02 shop today - that flip out sony IS very thick, so the W800, or, even better the newer, black model of them, looks the number.

If I do a deal with you do you get the commission etc? Happy to do that if you want, even happier if you can beat £19 a month, 18 month contract, 100 anytime any network minutes, 50 texts, 512 memory included, free bluetooth headset, earphones etc, and my current o2 number / existing credit transferred over, for that new black walkman onw (W810?)

Let me know - moneys better in your pocket if it IS a commission deal!

Offline Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 4, 2006, 09:23:48 pm »
Don't get Chelsea Samsung phones

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 4, 2006, 10:18:21 pm »
It's from ebay so it's Ok, since they're probably pre owned.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #36 on: April 4, 2006, 10:30:18 pm »

::)

Yeah, and whatever you do, don't go on Arsenal O2 or Manchester United Vodafone. And don't get your mortgage with Newcastle United Northern Rock. And you absolutely MUST NOT buy any Nike sportswear.

In fact, fuck it. Never buy ANYTHING again, unless it is a pair of Reebok Classics or a crate of Carlsberg. If you do, you are just disloyal.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #37 on: April 5, 2006, 01:06:20 am »
How about those who happened to be using Samsung before they sponsored Chelsea?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 5, 2006, 09:02:57 am »
::)

Yeah, and whatever you do, don't go on Arsenal O2 or Manchester United Vodafone. And don't get your mortgage with Newcastle United Northern Rock. And you absolutely MUST NOT buy any Nike sportswear.

In fact, fuck it. Never buy ANYTHING again, unless it is a pair of Reebok Classics or a crate of Carlsberg. If you do, you are just disloyal.

I actually used to be on vodafone, and the coverage was always pretty good, however, all of a sudden the coverage went to fuck in my area, just about the time that Vodafone sponsored man u. Of course, I was cancelling my contract because the coverage was shite, but when I called them to cancel, and they asked me why I was cancelling, I DID enjoy telling them it was because I wanted nothing to do with a brand associated with Man U.

:D

Best of it is, the guy on the phone told me they had lost a LOT of contracts for that reason in the previous weeks, to the extent it had been added as an option on their forms, which then read

Reason for cancellation (please tick)
Too expensive
Bad coverage
Manchester United

:lmao

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #39 on: April 5, 2006, 09:10:58 am »
:wave

popped into the local 02 shop today - that flip out sony IS very thick, so the W800, or, even better the newer, black model of them, looks the number.

If I do a deal with you do you get the commission etc? Happy to do that if you want, even happier if you can beat £19 a month, 18 month contract, 100 anytime any network minutes, 50 texts, 512 memory included, free bluetooth headset, earphones etc, and my current o2 number / existing credit transferred over, for that new black walkman onw (W810?)

Let me know - moneys better in your pocket if it IS a commission deal!

commission is only about £2.50, and I dont think you really wanna come all the way to southampton to buy a phone. If its an upgrade your best off ringing the retentions team to see what they can do for you. Well, the trick is to tell them what you want, and that you have been offered that by another network.

I upgraded myself to the w810 yesterday, from the k750 and its great.