Author Topic: Photography thread  (Read 531800 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: Best photo you've taken yourself.
« Reply #3560 on: August 26, 2015, 03:51:45 pm »
Sunsets have been great at the moment. I know the quality of photo is not up to standard here because they are taken on my phone, but anyway.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3561 on: August 26, 2015, 04:55:58 pm »
Lovely photos thejbs.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #3562 on: August 27, 2015, 02:26:46 pm »
You should tell that couple to piss off - they're ruining all your lovely landscape shots.

at first I thought it was the same girl but with three different guys

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #3563 on: August 27, 2015, 02:44:19 pm »
These photos are outstanding! Love this thread.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3564 on: August 27, 2015, 02:56:29 pm »
Batshit crazy changeable light in Ireland... this is where they shoot game of thrones.

I got married round them there parts, got some great 'official' wedding pics there (not that I'll be sharing on here). :D

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3565 on: August 27, 2015, 10:04:15 pm »
Another pic from Murchison Falls NP, Uganda. Not a flawless photo, but I am proud of it as I took it balancing my camera on a rock (forgot my tripod!)!

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #3566 on: August 30, 2015, 11:47:17 am »
As I was driving a different route home I noticed a field full of very tall Sunflowers, so I decided to investigate further. There were so many bees gathering the pollen it was just a pleasure to get out
my camera and take a few shots.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:49:24 am by mobydick »

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3567 on: September 6, 2015, 11:55:46 pm »

Grass.

www.simpletapestry.com

Brilliant pics - love the natural beauty of this one.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #3568 on: September 13, 2015, 04:37:36 am »
Spring in the Antipodies
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #3569 on: September 13, 2015, 02:05:46 pm »
Stunning pictures!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3570 on: October 6, 2015, 10:32:45 pm »
Quite pleased with some of these recent street shots.

Give my FB page a like.  ;)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #3571 on: October 13, 2015, 04:27:53 pm »
Had a day off today so took my camera down to Egremont Prom to try some waterfront shots. Froze my bloody tits off waiting for this to come back over....

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3572 on: October 13, 2015, 04:30:14 pm »
Had a day off today so took my camera down to Egremont Prom to try some waterfront shots. Froze my bloody tits off waiting for this to come back over....

Nice.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3573 on: October 13, 2015, 04:33:21 pm »
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3574 on: October 14, 2015, 09:51:54 pm »
As I mentioned above, took a few the other day, then played with the colours when I got home. This is one I am proper made up with, I posted this on my Facebook and got a few positive comments.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3575 on: October 14, 2015, 09:53:08 pm »
Very nice :thumbup

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3576 on: October 14, 2015, 10:00:47 pm »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3577 on: November 12, 2015, 01:49:14 am »
Few more recent street shots.

Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3578 on: November 12, 2015, 01:56:07 am »

Street photography is one of the hardest things to do in photography. To even get a feel for is impressive.  You have it Nessy76.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #3579 on: November 12, 2015, 03:49:02 am »

[/center]

She's like "Look at that Full Kit Business Wanker. What a c*nt."  ;D

Nice shots, pal  :thumbup
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #3580 on: November 25, 2015, 05:04:48 am »
Took this of a full moon over Sydney last night and I'm actually quite chuffed with it!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #3581 on: November 25, 2015, 12:02:24 pm »
Nice!

Been considering getting into astrophotography for a while. What's your equipment? Any advice for starting?
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3582 on: November 25, 2015, 03:49:05 pm »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3583 on: November 25, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3584 on: November 25, 2015, 03:57:54 pm »
Wow very nice!

These 2 are my favorites!

Yeah the first one there is my favourite. The shadow of the volcano crater has left half the land in permafrost.

Gutted that we weren't with the couple when we spotted this:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:59:54 pm by thejbs »

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #3585 on: November 25, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »
Great photos thejbs!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3586 on: November 25, 2015, 05:38:20 pm »
Recent couple shoot in Iceland.

Wow! They are all great shots, but that one is just stunning!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3587 on: November 26, 2015, 12:23:48 pm »
Wow! They are all great shots, but that one is just stunning!

Ah, cheers! 

If it's not cheeky to say, some of the landscape stuff is available to buy as prints or digital files if anyone wanted one.  Some of our favourite landscape shots can be seen on the blog post.

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #3588 on: November 27, 2015, 07:54:56 am »
Nice!

Been considering getting into astrophotography for a while. What's your equipment? Any advice for starting?

To be honest mate, I just saw the moon rising and grabbed my camera, it's a Canon 6D and I used a 400mm L series lens on a tripod. The best top tip I could provide was that I was using live view to focus in when taking it and captured it in RAW format to mess about with afterwards in Photoshop Elements.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #3589 on: November 27, 2015, 12:29:04 pm »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3590 on: November 27, 2015, 02:01:44 pm »
Nice!

Google the D810a. Had the pleasure of using one recently. If you've got the money and are serious about astro stuff, that's a great place to put it. Good wide prime lens, sturdy tripod, a remote release, flask of tea and folding chair along with it and that's a good start. After that it'll be telescopes and converters.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3591 on: November 27, 2015, 06:53:28 pm »
Nice!

Depends on what you want to do. You don't need a particularly good camera, a lot of people get great shots using a webcam attached to a telescope. If you want to resolve lots of detail on the moon or something, you might be better with a dslr, but you aren't going to realistically get close to needing a massive high quality sensor. It's all about the lenses, really. You can attach a dslr to a telescope or try using a camera lens. I've only done a tiny amount of astro and would love to do more, got a 500mm lens I can put on a NEX 3 mirrorless (which is a great frankenstein job) but I need clear skies, less light pollution and a tripod, or better yet something to track star movement. Wanted to go off on a photo camping trip over the summer but never got round to it. Maybe next year.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3592 on: November 27, 2015, 10:55:20 pm »
Depends on what you want to do. You don't need a particularly good camera, a lot of people get great shots using a webcam attached to a telescope. If you want to resolve lots of detail on the moon or something, you might be better with a dslr, but you aren't going to realistically get close to needing a massive high quality sensor. It's all about the lenses, really. You can attach a dslr to a telescope or try using a camera lens. I've only done a tiny amount of astro and would love to do more, got a 500mm lens I can put on a NEX 3 mirrorless (which is a great frankenstein job) but I need clear skies, less light pollution and a tripod, or better yet something to track star movement. Wanted to go off on a photo camping trip over the summer but never got round to it. Maybe next year.
If you get a chance, go to Bryce Canyon in the US, mate. They say Jupiter casts a shadow there! Unfortunately, I've been there during bad seasons and the weather was overcast. I also found that Chaco Canyon is very dark and remote. I'm sure that Australia can beat both of these places, but Bryce is just magnificent for day photography as well.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3593 on: January 3, 2016, 08:05:05 pm »
I've only rarely dropped into this thread, but on the two times I have, been pretty impressed with some of the photos. Looks like there's some knowledgeable people around here in this thread.

Am sure people have come into here asking for advice on what camera to buy, as I'm about to do, so apologies.

I used to have a Cybershot, which was fine, didn't take up much room, took an ok 'snap', but now phones do all that. But I've had my fill of poor quality snaps, and want something far sharper, more depth, better in low light etc, so am hunting a DSLR for around £500.

Maybe I don't need a DSLR?

There's a few things I want in a camera:
1) To get rid of any pause in time between clicking the button, and taking the photo. I used to have a single reflex camera with 2 lenses shooting in old school film, and I really miss that instant reaction. (I'd like to be able to shoot a few frames per second, but it's not massively high on my needs list. 5 per second would do me fine) - I'm also not arsed whether it can shoot video. In fact, I'd probably prefer it if it didn't shoot video. It's probably naivety, but i'd rather the camera focused on taking still pictures - with the thinking that if some of the build and therefore cost of the camera is taken up with the ability to shoot HD video etc - I'd rather swerve that 'bonus'.

2) Nearly all the photos I have of my kids are shot with a fish eye lens. What lens do I need to get that has NO fish eye?

3) I like shooting in black and white. With the camera on my phone, I have to keep clicking a few drop downs etc to turn the b/w on. It's irritating and time consuming. I know that I can take the colour out after the shot etc, but I enjoy framing things in black and white and judging things thru the b/w viewfinder. I miss not looking thru a 'proper' viewfinder tho, with one eye closed, but at least I can then refer quickly to the b/w result in the panel thingy behind the camera.

4) Having really deep blacks and crisp whites is also important.

5) shooting in low light. No fuzziness wanted (within reason).

6) I'm not after a 'basic/introductory' type dslr - I don't mind the complications of f-stops/light meters etc - I'd like to branch out and experiment and learn something, but I don't mind getting a heads up on a really good point and shoot option. 

I am doing my research, and getting advice where I can, but it's head swimming.

Below, is not a photo I'd consider as any kind of 'best of' - just doesn't have any people in it. Be rude not to have some kind of pic.

Pic too large - will work on that. Cheers for any help/advice offered! Could be just a name, but it will help aid my research :)

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3594 on: January 3, 2016, 09:55:58 pm »
Filler, you are asking the impossible questions, mate... Everyone chooses different cameras. I find the DP review site (http://www.dpreview.com/) quite informative and their testing is very comprehensive.

Sometimes the choice of camera is governed by the quality of the lenses you already have. I had a good set of Minolta, so I climbed the Sony bandwagon when their DSLR came out. It took me a while to switch to Nikon (after buying my son a D60 and loved it). I personally favor Nikon over Canon for its ease to use. There isn't much between the two brands (most will disagree with this). It's all about a constant and incremental improvement in several different classes of cameras from the fully professional to the point-and-shoot amateur ones. Fewer people will like to admit, but when Sony removed the optical path (the mirror and pentaprism) from their A7 camera, it beat the best Nikon and Canon in many aspects hands down.

So, it's mostly about what tickles you. Nowadays, all cameras and lenses are sharp and you can take magnificent pictures with just about anything. A friend of mine, a professional photographer, showed me one of these photo award places, where first prize was won my a medium format Hasselblad, and the second place was won by an iPhone 5 picture...

I'm not the photo expert here, but I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1) Most simple digital cameras will have shutter delay. From what you describe, I think your choice leads to a DSLR.

2) Most lenses have distortion, but not like a fish-eye... Yo can correct for that in Photoshop (has a set of standard lens corrections), or you can make a correction for your own lens. I don't think that any DSLR lenses (unless it's a fish-eye) will give you that effect

3) Shoot in color and then convert to black and white. You can create very different effects when you use individual color channels, as opposed to an intensity map.

4) Shoot in raw format. You can get most of the way with the lens and camera of your choice, but you can do post processing with many software programs. You can stretch the blacks and whites as you please.

5) That's a challenge. Low light = fast lens + low-noise at high ISO. Sometimes low noise is compromised by the number of pixels. The noise is a statistical characteristics that depends on how many electrons are produced in each pixel from the gathered light. Quantum inefficiency values (conversion of light to electrons) don't vary much between companies. So if you have a camera with 4x the pixel count, the noise will be 2X. This is a difficult problem, but one that's half the enjoyment.

6) This is a very personal suggestion - look at Nikon D7000 or D7100. I've got the former and I'm very happy with it. The D7100 is improved, so maybe it works for you. Around Christmas it went for a good price in the US, but I don't know much it was in England. Usually Nikon are very consistent (monopoly bastards!) with their prices around the world. 
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100

I hope this helps!

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3595 on: January 3, 2016, 10:18:09 pm »
2) Nearly all the photos I have of my kids are shot with a fish eye lens. What lens do I need to get that has NO fish eye?

5) shooting in low light. No fuzziness wanted (within reason).
I have no pretensions of being a photographer, however I will share this advice from a friend of mine. He is a professional photographer and when I asked him (back in 2006) he told me "Buy a $10 [film] body and put all your money in the lens". Maybe have a look at a decent 50mm prime lens and work your way backwards?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3596 on: January 3, 2016, 10:43:17 pm »
Many MANY thanks for that farawayred. Much more than I bargained for - much appreciated :)

I'll give that a good few re-reads tomorrow. It IS the impossible question, I know, which is why I dropped in here, as I'm floundering a bit. I think I need to go into a shop and talk to a human being or two about it really.

A few quick notes..

3) on the b/w shooting thing: With an old fashioned camera, and with me being an amateur with a capital A, shooting on b/w stock on proper film was hit and miss - more miss, so I've enjoyed the ability to weigh up things in a more direct tonal fashion when framing a shot - and playing with that, in black and white. It's the immediacy that I like. I know I can see a dark brown shadow and know that it'll probably be black (particularly if there's lots of bright blue sky in other areas etc), but I like that 'in your face' info of black and white framing. I also can't be arsed taking the colour out later on - feels like I'm 'adjusting'. I like the restrictions. Maybe I need to rethink all that.

5) I used to like the whole 8 second + exposure on a tripod thing you had to do with low light. I'd rather a greyed out slop than the grainy fuzz tho.

The Nikon 70D I looked at, but will check out those reviews. Ultimately... anything would be better than this Samsung phone surely - and I have to remember that. Many thanks again mate . -cheers. :)

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3597 on: January 3, 2016, 10:52:22 pm »
I have no pretensions of being a photographer, however I will share this advice from a friend of mine. He is a professional photographer and when I asked him (back in 2006) he told me "Buy a $10 [film] body and put all your money in the lens". Maybe have a look at a decent 50mm prime lens and work your way backwards?

Yes, I have heard the same thing many times. Has to be some truth in that!

I would like a decent body tho (quiet at the back there!) - something to get me going and carry on with, while developing the lenses bit. It would suit me having a body without a lens. I've had a new turntable in a box for a year, and no amp, so it would be perfect  :P ;D

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3598 on: January 3, 2016, 11:34:41 pm »
Many MANY thanks for that farawayred. Much more than I bargained for - much appreciated :)

I'll give that a good few re-reads tomorrow. It IS the impossible question, I know, which is why I dropped in here, as I'm floundering a bit. I think I need to go into a shop and talk to a human being or two about it really.

A few quick notes..

3) on the b/w shooting thing: With an old fashioned camera, and with me being an amateur with a capital A, shooting on b/w stock on proper film was hit and miss - more miss, so I've enjoyed the ability to weigh up things in a more direct tonal fashion when framing a shot - and playing with that, in black and white. It's the immediacy that I like. I know I can see a dark brown shadow and know that it'll probably be black (particularly if there's lots of bright blue sky in other areas etc), but I like that 'in your face' info of black and white framing. I also can't be arsed taking the colour out later on - feels like I'm 'adjusting'. I like the restrictions. Maybe I need to rethink all that.

5) I used to like the whole 8 second + exposure on a tripod thing you had to do with low light. I'd rather a greyed out slop than the grainy fuzz tho.

The Nikon 70D I looked at, but will check out those reviews. Ultimately... anything would be better than this Samsung phone surely - and I have to remember that. Many thanks again mate . -cheers. :)
You're welcome, mate. :)  But there are people here that are better qualified to answer your questions. I'm just an amateur.

Re: b/w photography. It does indeed take a different eye to see a good b/w image. You are surely being modest and probably have a lot of sense what scene would make a good b/w image. I've looked at Linda.com for lectures on that topic, and I'm certain I don't possess the gift to "see in b/w".

But here is something I tried in Photoshop with a standard color image:
1. Original color image
2. Standard b/w conversion (intensity map)
3. Separate color manipulation

The two b/w images are very, very different. Not saying that one is better that the other, I think its a matter of personal preference. I've done these separate color conversions a number of times, and I liked different results at different times. But it's a tool that can allow for a better expression of your artistic side. But I do value the purist approach too. :thumbup

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3599 on: January 4, 2016, 05:54:58 pm »
I've only rarely dropped into this thread, but on the two times I have, been pretty impressed with some of the photos. Looks like there's some knowledgeable people around here in this thread.

Am sure people have come into here asking for advice on what camera to buy, as I'm about to do, so apologies.

There was a DLSR thread about a while ago, which probably still has some good information.

Basically, you can ask a hundred photographers half these questions and get a hundred different answers, but I'll try and give you some of my experience.

1) Yes, getting rid of "shutter lag" was what led me into DSLR cameras in the first place. Press the shutter and get an image that instant, it's a basic and I'm amazed that point-and-shoot cameras still struggle to get this right. Any DSLR or compact system camera (AKA mirrorless) will have effectively no shutter lag.

Most will also get you 5 frames per second or better.

Video tends to be added as standard these days, whether you need it or not. The technological difference between a still camera and a video camera is pretty small these days, so it tends to get bundled in by manufacturers as it costs them very little and sells a lot more kit.

2) Most lenses are not fish-eyes. In fact a good fish-eye lens for a DSLR will set you back quite a lot of money. What can happen is that you get barrel distortion when you are very close to your subject. So if you shoot portraits with a wide-angle lens, you'll sometimes see a fish-eye like effect. Any decent standard telephoto zoom will avoid this. Most SLRs in your price range will come with a kit-lens that fits the bill.

3) OK, this one touches on one of the great debates in digital photography, RAW v JPEG. If you shoot RAW then you are going to process the image yourself in software to your own preferences. If you shoot JPEG (like most phones or p&s cameras) then you leave that processing up to the camera's internal computer. To get an effect like B&W, you can either shoot in RAW and get the effect later by putting it through lightroom, photoshop or similar software OR you can shoot in JPEG, set the picture mode to B&W and the camera will try and do it for you. I'd recommend at least trying to do it yourself. You can also usually select RAW+JPG in camera which means that the camera will have a go at processing the file for you, but the original will be there if you decide you want to try it yourself later on.

When I do street photos (see above) what I tend to do is set the camera in RAW+JPG, with the picture mode on B&W so that I get a preview of the image in black and white, but I'll go back and process the RAW file properly myself in Lightroom later to get it how I want.

If you want to see B&W in the viewfinder, you'll need a camera with an EVF (electronic viewfinder) rather than a traditional optical pentaprism. That limits you to either a Sony SLT like the A77ii or A68 or a mirrorless camera. The SLT is Sony's own compromise between a DSLR and a mirrorless camera. The tech is great, but Sony have been more interested in developing their E-Mount range of mirrorless cameras over the last three years. Given how Sony have been behaving over the SLT range, it's likely that the whole system, and the A-Mount lenses it supports, may not be around much longer, so I'd be wary of pointing you in that direction.

4) Is another reason to shoot in RAW mode, where you can effectively set the contrast levels wherever you like. You might get lucky with a built-in B&W jpg generator, but it's a roll of the dice.

5) That's the holy grail right there. Good news, this is the main area most manufacturers have been focussed on for the last 4-5 years and the tech is miles away from where it used to be. As a rule of thumb smaller sensor or more megapixels = more noise in lower light conditions, but newer cameras will often massively outperform older ones here. The low-light king is the full-frame Sony A7sII but that's a little over your budget.

6) Good to know. I think I can make a recommendation.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at a mirrorless system camera. They are lightweight, but fully functional cameras that can do more or less anything a DSLR can do, except for professional sport photography. (The auto-focus tends to be slightly slower, but not enough for you to notice in ordinary use.) 
You want something with a decent sensor size for that low-light stuff, which counts against M4/3 systems. (Although definitely have a look at them.) You want something with a viewfinder, which narrows that down further.

I'd be looking at the Sony E-Mount line, specifically the A6000. There's a new version (probably called A6100) coming out in the Spring, which will bring the price down a fair bit.

A great thing about E-Mount cameras is that you can use pretty much any lens you want with them. You can fit old manual lenses that you can pick up for very little on Ebay or at car-boot sales and get great quality optics at very low prices. If you don't mind mucking about with manual aperture settings (which are much simpler than they sound) then you have a world of great lenses available for next to nothing.

But even if you don't want to do that, the A6000 will come with a kit lens that should keep you going for quite a while by itself. It has an EVF so you can see what you're shooting in B&W if you like. It shoots in RAW+JPG and has all the features you'd want in a DSLR but in a smaller, more compact body. I'd suggest going on youtube and looking up Jason Lanier, who is a pro photographer who basically gave up his DSLR cameras to shoot with the A6000 and raves about it.

(If you're trying to share pictures here, it's usually best to upload it somewhere like photobucket and then post a link using "insert image" rather than upload the pic direct to RAWK itself.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA