Author Topic: Rafa's joy tempered by more injury woe  (Read 4300 times)

Offline five time red

• Main Stander
Re: Rafa's joy tempered by more injury woe
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 04:09:21 pm »
I think momo will play in the derby now, 2 weeks rest then he will hopefully be back in the team because rafa shouldn't have to worry about his fitness because he has looked on top form. Got a feeling carra will make the derby too

Offline mr-4

• Kopite
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 04:10:41 pm »
Any of the medical gurus on here - could you explain in layman terms what the hell does that injury mean?
Mourinho, 19 Feb 2004: Liverpool over Chelsea, no doubt about it
Rick Parry, 22 Aug 2006: You have to aim for the stars, not mediocrity
Chris Bascombe, 21 Sep 2006: No matter how far back you seem, when you're blessed with class, anything is possible.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 04:11:40 pm »
Any of the medical gurus on here - could you explain in layman terms what the hell does that injury mean?

in Shankly's time, it would have been a 'sore knee'
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline mr-4

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2006, 04:14:24 pm »
in Shankly's time, it would have been a 'sore knee'
Ah, well, if that's the case just a week then - don't know what this fuss is about ;)
Chris Bascombe, 21 Sep 2006: No matter how far back you seem, when you're blessed with class, anything is possible.

Offline stevenalonsa

• Legacy Fan
  • my d.o.b. 30.5.85 same as gerrard
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2006, 04:26:45 pm »
Found this on the net...

What is a medial collateral ligament sprain?
A sprain is a joint injury that causes a stretch or tear in a ligament, a strong band of tissue connecting one bone to the other. The medial collateral ligament is located on the inner side of the knee. It attaches the thighbone (femur) to the shinbone (tibia).

Sprains vary from minor tears in a few fibers of ligament to complete tears of entire ligaments. Complete tears make the joint very loose and unstable.

How does it occur?
This injury usually occurs when a blow to the outer side of the knee causes stretching or tearing of the medial collateral ligament. It can also be caused by twisting the knee.

What are the symptoms?
Symptoms may include the following:

You have pain on the inner side of your knee.
Your knee is swollen and tender.
You have the feeling of your knee giving way.
You hear or feel a pop or snap at the time of injury.
How is it diagnosed?
Your health care provider will ask how you injured yourself and will examine your knee. He or she will gently move your knee around to see if the joint is stable and if the ligament is stretched or torn. Your provider may order x-rays or a magnetic resonance image (MRI) of your knee.

How is it treated?
Treatment may include:

applying ice to your knee for 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days or until the pain and swelling go away
elevating your knee by placing a pillow underneath it (to help reduce swelling)
taking an anti-inflammatory medicine or other drugs prescribed by your health care provider
wrapping an elastic bandage around your knee to keep the swelling from getting worse
wearing a knee immobilizer or knee brace to keep you from moving and further injuring your knee and to minimize the pain of moving your knee
using crutches until you can walk without pain
doing rehabilitation exercises.
Torn medial collateral ligaments rarely need surgery.

How long will the effects last?
The length of recovery depends on many factors such as your age, health, and if you have had a previous knee injury. Recovery time also depends on the severity of the sprain. A mild medial collateral sprain may recover within a few weeks, whereas a severe sprain may take 6 weeks or longer to recover.

You will need to do rehabilitation exercises and continue to keep your leg muscles strong if your ligament has become loose after the injury.

When can I return to my normal activities?
Everyone recovers from an injury at a different rate. Return to your activities will be determined by how soon your knee recovers, not by how many days or weeks it has been since your injury has occurred. In general, the longer you have symptoms before you start treatment, the longer it will take to get better. The goal of rehabilitation is to return you to your normal activities as soon as is safely possible. If you return too soon you may worsen your injury.

You may safely return to your normal activities when, starting from the top of the list and progressing to the end, each of the following is true:

Your injured knee can be fully straightened and bent without pain.
Your knee and leg have regained normal strength compared to the uninjured knee and leg.
Your knee is not swollen
You are able to walk, bend and squat without pain.
Return to your prior level of activity gradually. Talk to your health care provider about a knee brace to wear during sports. If pain occurs, contact your health care provider and decrease your activity to a pain-free level.

Offline stevenalonsa

• Legacy Fan
  • my d.o.b. 30.5.85 same as gerrard
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 04:30:36 pm »
Liverpool 6 
S Warnock ankle 26th Aug 06   
M Sissoko knee 9th Sep 06   
N Mellor knee no return date   
J Arne Riise ankle 17th Sep 06   
J Carragher ankle 9th Sep 06   
H Kewell septic arthritis 2nd Sep 06 

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Mellor has already returned..He even scored for our reserves..
By mid september we will have a full fit squad..
Hoping to see fully fit kewell......

Offline mr-4

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2006, 04:34:18 pm »
 :thumbup cheers for that mate!

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2006, 07:29:54 pm »
I think its time chelsea got a big injury list.

Arsenal suffered one last year, we have a quite alot already and we had a big one in two seasons ago (not that it made a difference ;) ) united had one last year. Whens it Chelsea's turn, i doubt it would make a difference but it would give us a helping hand with our challenge for the title. If the key spine of the team was to get injured, terry lampard shevchenko and makele got injured i think it would help us alot

Not one to wish injuries but lets hope these get long term injuries tonight ;)

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2006, 08:52:49 pm »
Something doesn't add up. A tear to a medial ligament isn't a 2-week rehab. More like six weeks until you're doing light exercise, three months minimum to the standard of mobility that pro footballers need. Owen's and Shearer's experiences are more the norm. So either it's a very slight tear or we've got some bluffology going on. I know Momo's super-human when it comes to recovery from injury, but with the best will in the world you don't go dancing around like a 3-year old two weeks after any serious knee ligament damage. And every time you tear or severely sprain one of them, they never come back 100% to their previous condition.
Let's face it, you never get the full story these days and I've got my fingers crossed it isn't as serious as it sounds.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2006, 10:26:20 pm »
So a tear is confirmed but only for 2 weeks.

If a tear is "serious" how can that heal in 2 weeks??

That's what I thought. I think I read that a strain tales 2-3 weeks to recover, but a tear takes longer to heal. Mind you, being "potentially blinded" to playing within a few weeks and chucking his goggles away seems to suggest he's a quick healer! Maybe he'll be chucking his crutches away even quicker and changing his name to Lazarus.
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2006, 10:36:58 pm »
When he went down it looked like a ligament injury and a bad one.
I know now that I should have posted that maybe he could have been out for 6-8 months but my dismay got the better of me.
I am so glad to be proven wrong in my estimate of how long he would be out for but had it been the cruciate ligament he would most likely have been out for the season (6-8 months at least)

I thought it was bad too, as he didnt move at all (same with Riise). I guess it is lucky that it is only a few weeks and not a few months.

Its no problem we have the squad to cope and with the internanatiol break, the walking wounded will only miss the West Ham game and maybe the derby
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2006, 09:43:44 pm »
 ??? H Kewell septic arthritis 2nd Sep 06 
FFS will this be a reaccuring injury for him does anyone know?
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline mr-4

• Kopite
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2006, 10:44:53 pm »
That's what I thought. I think I read that a strain tales 2-3 weeks to recover, but a tear takes longer to heal. Mind you, being "potentially blinded" to playing within a few weeks and chucking his goggles away seems to suggest he's a quick healer! Maybe he'll be chucking his crutches away even quicker and changing his name to Lazarus.
I agree, but I think they are exaggerating it a bit (in a way playing it safe) - it may not be a tear damage, but they say it is just to dampen our expectations for a quick recovery.