Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 779841 times)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Re: Joseph Dave Gomez - Liverpools number 12
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:58 am »
Big big big big credit to Rodgers for trusting an 18-year old in such an important game for himself as a coach and the team. Gomez is never gonna learn about not making those few mistakes he made on the bench but by being on the pitch , this experience will mean a world to him with his football education.

Offline tuaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2015, 10:14:46 am »
Once in a while Moreno loses his focus and goes ball-watching instead of marking his man (like the goal we conceded against Swindon in pre-season).

However, I'd be fine with him as LB when we want to be more attack-minded, for instance the next game.

Gomez has a more defensive mindset and I think better concentration.  He had 2 or 3 shaky moments in the game where his judgement was off and/or his inexperience showed, but these were valuable learning experiences that luckily didn't cost Liverpool during the match.

I think both have a part to play this season.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2015, 10:17:38 am »
Big big big big credit to Rodgers for trusting an 18-year old in such an important game for himself as a coach and the team. Gomez is never gonna learn about not making those few mistakes he made on the bench but by being on the pitch , this experience will mean a world to him with his football education.

It's what I really like about Rodgers. He should never lose that. He did at points last year.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2015, 10:25:25 am »
Def hats off to Brendan for trusting Gomez to shore us up on a day when everyone was looking to hit an early nail into his coffin. I have no doubt if we lost that game yesterday todays headlines would be like a ticking bomb so to see an 18 year old on his debut look like he belongs already is a great testament to the lad and the brave decision in picking him in the first place.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:18 am »
Depends who we're playing. An average team at home, I'd want Moreno playing.

Moreno isn't as bad as people make out. He's got a few issues that need fixing, but they should be easily trained out.
Of course he may start now and then. Key word was regularly.

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2015, 10:37:52 am »
I thought he was really solid.

No coincidence that Lovern looked much better yesterday. Gomez was holding his position and not getting caught out of position,
forcing Lovern into those one on one situations on the left in which he's really struggled. 

Really good awareness on the ball, gets his head up early and looks for the simple pass to a man in space.
Saying that though I can't wait till he's settled in and has the confidence to go on a run with the ball at his feet.
Did it once yesterday cruised to the halfway line with the ball at his feet, wanted him to drive on but he played the easy ball
and got back into position.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2015, 10:39:27 am »

This 100% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_3zHsp-ew
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline nfletcher23

• Anny Roader
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2015, 10:39:54 am »
Awesome for an 18 year old lad from chanpionship, thought he'd be a bit part player to be honest but looks like he could be a regular easily, hope he keeps it up

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2015, 11:40:29 am »
We always talk about saving money by finding the next player before joining a big club and gaining notoriety, I think we've done that in Joe. He's going to be a big player at our club.

Yeah he was rattled because Stoke targeted him all day, and he just about survived.

I've seen a few remarks about Stoke that they've moved on Pulis, and they keep it on the deck now, which just strikes me a rote-repetition of handy soundbite about Stoke that people can repeat without ever having to sit through the shit they serve up.

Their primary tactic all day yesterday was long diagonals from the back line and the goal keeper, even straight up the line, onto John Walters head and then try to pick up the pieces after that. They did it because it's a strength of his and he was up against a debutant teenager who'd never played in the Premier League.

I'm not saying it's in anyway invalid, but they certainly do play extremely directly nearly all the time still as far as I can see.

(Their other tactic what big loopy passes down the channel to let Diouf pressurise Skrtel with his pace. Again, extremely direct.)

Thought Joe Gomez just about survived in that he was beaten a few times by Walters and once that put us in real trouble when Lovren came out to clean up and did't get there. It lead to Johnson's chance which was the best of the match. But he did survive, and at least some of the other options for that position (Enrique, Moreno, Can, Flanagan) would've folded or come up way worse against that kind of bombardment.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2015, 12:23:26 pm »
I see so much potential in this lad. For me he displayed more composure on the ball and physical strength than Manquillo ever did. At the same time as being played out of position!

There was one moment where he just decided to come forward and bring the ball out of the defence, taking on 1 or 2 players in the process. Impressed me.

Offline Stout

• Main Stander
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2015, 02:34:32 pm »
Need to give Rodgers a lot of credit.  He will get our talented youngsters playing time if they work hard and deserve it.  Look at Gomez; a youngster many of us thought would be on loan by now, and here he is in the starting XI for our league opener.  Another piece of proof (along with Sterling, Ibe...etc) for the next time we are targeting a young talent and Rodgers tells him they can develop and quickly make an impact at Liverpool.  The other big clubs can't say that...

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2015, 02:35:19 pm »
He certainly didn't play anything like an 18 year old...

Very impressive to debut that way....

Really solid.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2015, 02:46:02 pm »
Great debut for the lad, thought he worked his socks off. Had a few shaky moments that you'd expect from an inexperienced full back but for the most part, showed he's physically ready to take on Prem level players.

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2015, 02:50:03 pm »
Great to see Joe get his chance and take it - hardly put a foot wrong.

Pleasing evidence that if you're god enough, you're old enough and it should be encouraging for some of the youth lads that should be banging on the first team door this season.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2015, 03:51:49 pm »
Can easily be our Ivanovic. Can throw in Moreno when against lesser team or if we are chasing games.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2015, 04:05:36 pm »
Good performance against a team more than willing and capable of targeting a weak link. With Gomez, to our benefit and his credit, they were wasting their efforts and time.
Well played Joe, and just keep on doing it and you will be here a long time, and get a lot of success.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2015, 04:24:04 pm »
He made 2 pretty serious mistakes in the game. The miss-timed header that put Walters through and ended with Johnson's chance (I think the mistake was compounded by Lovren vacating the center too quickly to close down Walters), as well as the attempted clearance which he put right across our own penalty box. Both could easily have resulted in goals. Thankfully they didn't, and hopefully he still has Rodgers' trust because he seems like a real smooth player.

Stoke targeted him throughout the game, and Walters has embarrassed our senior defenders on several occasions, so it was great to see Gomez refuse to back down and keep fighting.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2015, 04:29:22 pm »
He made 2 pretty serious mistakes in the game. The miss-timed header that put Walters through and ended with Johnson's chance (I think the mistake was compounded by Lovren vacating the center too quickly to close down Walters), as well as the attempted clearance which he put right across our own penalty box. Both could easily have resulted in goals. Thankfully they didn't, and hopefully he still has Rodgers' trust because he seems like a real smooth player.

Stoke targeted him throughout the game, and Walters has embarrassed our senior defenders on several occasions, so it was great to see Gomez refuse to back down and keep fighting.

I can't think of many harder matches in which to debut than Stoke away. I agree the mistakes could have cost us, but I also liked how well he competed. He didn't let the mistakes phase him and that's huge at his age. What a find this kid has been so far.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »
I can't think of many harder matches in which to debut than Stoke away. I agree the mistakes could have cost us, but I also liked how well he competed. He didn't let the mistakes phase him and that's huge at his age. What a find this kid has been so far.

He just seems to have "it", doesn't he? If it's apparent to no-mark fans like us, it would be all the more apparent to Rodgers and the staff in training. And I can't help but think they scrapped plans of "easing him in" after the first few training sessions because he's just too damn talented.

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2015, 05:52:46 pm »
Well done Gomez. Awesome signing so far.

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #340 on: August 10, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »
He just seems to have "it", doesn't he? If it's apparent to no-mark fans like us, it would be all the more apparent to Rodgers and the staff in training. And I can't help but think they scrapped plans of "easing him in" after the first few training sessions because he's just too damn talented.

Precisely right. Moreno didn't do anything to lose his place per se. Gomez won the place because he is just that impressive.

I love that it shows ever other fringe and sub and young player: if you perform well enough in training and when given your chance on the pitch, you can get a place in the starting 11. Even a brand new 18 year old from Charlton can get a Premier League starting spot. Therefore anyone can. Everyone is judged on merit. Brilliant system.

(Would probably never happen if Mourinho was manager)

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 10, 2015, 06:36:46 pm »

Great debut from the lad, I am very impressed but we have to expect him to have a fair few bad games, not sure if he will cope with agile wide forwards who can twist / turn him, but he will add solidity and presence which is something we've lacked- I hope people don't expect him to be bomb forward as the season progresses, he is there in the side to help us keep more clean sheets- look to others for creativity

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »
I actually thought he had a really shaky game, and got us into trouble on a few occasions. He defends very close to his man where if he gets turned or loses a header, it can leave a lot of space behind him for opposition strikers to exploit.

He's only 18 though and it was his debut, so I'm sure he will improve.

He needs to know he doesn't need to do this, with his pace, Walters is nimble and strong but was never going to outstrip him in a race, getting so close to him was almost playing into his hands, with all the freekicks they won in that area of the field.

Still saying that, the fact he wasn't getting bullied by more senior muscular players is a good sign, big future but i'm not sure he is a better option than Moreno in the majority of games.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2015, 07:18:28 pm »
I actually thought he had a really shaky game, and got us into trouble on a few occasions.

I agree. I think Stoke tried to exploit him pretty heavily, and I think they were relatively successful with that strategy. However, he played an okay game and we all saw glimpses of what kind of player he can become.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2015, 12:04:37 pm »
When defending against deep free kicks against Stoke I noticed that the back 4 were holding their arms to the sides to almost link arms to hold the line, and I don't recall us doing that before. At first glance it seemed to be Lovren or Gomez doing that organizing but it was very clear to see that there had been plenty of work done to coordinate the back 4 on set pieces. I really liked the fact that we had 4 strong aerial players in our back 4, and can't help but think that Moreno would have struggled a bit against Walters' brute force aerially, whereas he didn't get much of a sniff against Gomez except for the time when Gomez got caught under the ball on the sideline.

On a related note, Mignolet was also superb at claiming crosses and controlling his area which really helped the CB's. I can't think of a single moment where he could have done better on those crosses. It was especially nice to watch MOTD2 after our game to see Cech's flapping which put into perspective how safe Mignolet was against Stoke too.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #345 on: August 17, 2015, 09:53:28 pm »
This kid... this kid is fucking class.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:37 pm »
Jomez is class..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #347 on: August 17, 2015, 09:55:04 pm »
Hard to believe he's just 18. Great addition.

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: August 17, 2015, 09:55:31 pm »
He's good

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: August 17, 2015, 09:55:55 pm »
He's very good.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: August 17, 2015, 09:55:59 pm »
What a signing.
Sahko gomez cb partnership.

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: August 17, 2015, 09:58:40 pm »
Fantastic performance for his age, again. He's going to be a great player for us for a long, long time if he keeps this up.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #352 on: August 17, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »
Solid in defense, but Moreno is a lot better in attack. Gomez is a 18-yo right-footed CB after all.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #353 on: August 17, 2015, 10:00:15 pm »
I have no idea what he got booked for....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #354 on: August 17, 2015, 10:00:46 pm »
Solid in defense, but Moreno is a lot better in attack. Gomez is a 18-yo right-footed CB after all.

I can see Moreno being deployed more and more on the left hand side further up like he was tonight. He's our quickest player by a mile and his directness and incessant stamina are great attributes to have. I've said before, but he could easily be a faster, slightly more technical Riise.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: August 17, 2015, 10:01:44 pm »
Probably our best U21 prospect. He has genuine world class potential.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Vund

• Votes Tory.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2015, 10:07:50 pm »
He's a great prospect, and did well but showed his inexperience a couple of times. Moreno for arsenal please

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: August 17, 2015, 10:09:09 pm »
He loves a good shimmy of the hips. Great use of it to get him out of tight situations along the line.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2015, 10:11:16 pm »
He's a great prospect, and did well but showed his inexperience a couple of times. Moreno for arsenal please
he looks far more assured defensively than Moreno, who often exposes himself and the defence due to his attacking nature.

I'm just happy we have a pair of full backs now who can defend first.

Lad looks boss.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline dotheoffski

• Anny Roader
« Reply #359 on: August 17, 2015, 10:21:18 pm »

Crazy idea, yes Moreno can be exciting going forward, but this guy is a great defender, yes he is not going to be perfect but that will come with games.  Surely the priority of a left back is his ability to defend firstly and get forward secondly.  He also helps massively on set pieces as he has a presence/size about him.

Anyway why change a defense which has kept two clean sheets?