Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 782623 times)

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Joseph Dave Gomez - Liverpools number 12
« Reply #360 on: August 17, 2015, 10:22:15 pm »
Hoping we'll see the lad at CB within a few years (with Moreno at LB). We've finally got some sturdy defenders, young, lots of potential. Top buy this lad, and most of us had barely heard of him.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #361 on: August 17, 2015, 10:24:59 pm »
When you think how few games he's played in first teams professionally let alone at LFC the level he's at is ridiculous

Not sure you can ever coach the level of composure he's got

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #362 on: August 17, 2015, 10:28:42 pm »
promising start to his career. Feet on the ground , the inevitable sticky patch will come at some point. Its how you react that makes or breaks you.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: August 17, 2015, 10:31:21 pm »
promising start to his career. Feet on the ground , the inevitable sticky patch will come at some point. Its how you react that makes or breaks you.

But he's 18 though. So when it comes we shouldn't discard him and/or right him off.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #364 on: August 17, 2015, 10:41:32 pm »
Felt he started quite poorly but grew in to the game and ended looking very confident and assured. I have to keep reminding myself that he's an 18 year old kid who was signed as a CB though.

Great start to his LFC career.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: August 17, 2015, 11:02:06 pm »
How assured does he like for such a young lad and playing out of position? Really impressed with his calmness. Looks like he's been playing LB for years.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: August 17, 2015, 11:43:01 pm »
He has fantastic technique with the ball when pressured,showed a few glimpse of that tonight.

I hope we see him play at CB in the  early rounds of the cup games.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2015, 11:50:57 pm »
Felt he started quite poorly but grew in to the game and ended looking very confident and assured. I have to keep reminding myself that he's an 18 year old kid who was signed as a CB though.

Great start to his LFC career.

He could be a fantastic CB for us.  As has been said many times about young CBs: playing at fullback while he's young will allow him the odd mistake to learn from and to get used to the league. 

I'm astounded by the lad to be honest.  I'd never heard of him until he signed.  Then I thought he was going into the academy or on loan. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: August 17, 2015, 11:51:42 pm »
Very promising from young Joe. Can only get better, learning every game. Was hoping he would get game time in the Europa but he has surpassed most peoples expectations with his performances. Keep it up lad.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2015, 12:09:58 am »
He's 18 years old. Fucking hell. 18!!

He's not even a fullback by trade and he's been solid as fuck at LB, being a right footed player naturally. Stunning piece of business for 4 million.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2015, 12:13:56 am »
I'm not sure about this 'out of position' idea - surely he has been brought in as a left back? I base this assertion on the fact that we would otherwise have no specific need to play him at left-back, if anywhere at all. I imagine Rodgers and whoever have seen the potential in this lad for a transition from the center to out wide whilst he is still young.
Or not, whatever.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2015, 12:30:08 am »
Coming on very very nicely! Lots of composure for such a young boy. Firmino needs to back him up a bit more when he comes on though. He'll develop into a top class player.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: August 18, 2015, 01:11:35 am »
Well done

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #373 on: August 18, 2015, 01:53:05 am »
Grew as the game went on. He's elusively quick due to his size. Not to dissimilar to Arbeloa, actually.

Not sure about anyone else, but given the lad's composure it looks as if he could carve out a career as a holding midfielder.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: August 18, 2015, 01:58:31 am »
Love the option of being able to Bring Moreno on and push Joe over to play 3 at the back if we ever need to.

Can't quite believe he's 18.

Also, if there's ever proof required that Brendan will give ANYONE he thinks is good enough a chance, Gomez is it.

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #375 on: August 18, 2015, 02:03:50 am »
He managed to emphatically tick just about every box you could draw up in the blueprint for the ideal young defender, in one performance.  His second performance for a HUGE club.  His home debut.  I say, goddam. 
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: August 18, 2015, 02:06:34 am »
18 year old, right footed centre-back playing left-back. Makes the odd little error, nothing too bad. I'm really impressed by this guy. Really hope he keeps it up, seems like an excellent coup.

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #377 on: August 18, 2015, 04:34:44 am »
He's been great and will play lots this season. But Moreno is knocking on the door. He's shown a great reaction to getting dropped.
He's worked really hard and tried to prove himself on the pitch, rather than just sulking about it.

There's a little run of games, which starts with Norwich at home, where I think Rodgers might make the switch.
Moreno offers more in attack and I think we might look to use this, once we've settled into the season a bit more.

It was interesting to see Rodgers bring Moreno on at left-wing to play in front of Gomez. It was such a Rafa-like move from Rodgers. It worked, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it a bit more when we're trying to protect a lead.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: August 18, 2015, 06:24:44 am »
But he's 18 though. So when it comes we shouldn't discard him and/or right him off.
You mean like so many here did to a young Moreno? after his first season coming from new country being young.....
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: August 18, 2015, 06:54:31 am »
Moreno will get his chance. But right now, I think Gomez fits the effective, conservative style that Brendan is using to pick up results early on.

Nothing wrong with instilling some hunger in to Moreno as well.

Offline dramared

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #380 on: August 18, 2015, 07:15:23 am »
The guy is class. To make the step up to Liverpool, straight into the first team at left back is immense for an 18 year old.
A player has to earn a managers trust and his pre season games and training earned him a start away at Stoke in a huge game for us for lots of reasons.

I bet Lovren just loves having that recovery pace next to him.

I don't think he struggled last night, they put early pressure high up the pitch which all defense found tough.

Playing left back he isn't going to have the natural fluency going forward and I think he has been told to keep his game simple.
Pre season he was stepping out and pushing on a lot more but prefers to move in field from the left rather than down the wing.

I think once we have more fluency and control to our games Moreno will figure more at left back but until then the experience that Joe is getting is great.

He is going to be a world class centre half in my opinion.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #381 on: August 18, 2015, 07:35:34 am »

I don't think he struggled last night,

I think he did. He was clearly targeted, hence why Moreno was introduced to give him extra protection down the right.
If Henderson doesn't recover in time for Arsenal I'd start Moreno in midfield to give Gomez more protection that Lallana and Ibe are giving him.

Offline LODDZ

• Main Stander
« Reply #382 on: August 18, 2015, 07:49:35 am »
his confidence on the ball is amazing for an 18 year old, looks like a very promising deal already. good pace, good strength.
waiting to see how he'll stop the top wingers in our league. i feel he needs a winger who defends well and has a high work rate to relieve some of the pressure off him too.
From Cairo to Liverpool

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #383 on: August 18, 2015, 07:59:24 am »
Love the option of being able to Bring Moreno on and push Joe over to play 3 at the back if we ever need to.

Can't quite believe he's 18.

Also, if there's ever proof required that Brendan will give ANYONE he thinks is good enough a chance, Gomez is it.

Well said

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: August 18, 2015, 08:15:28 am »
Has all the makings of a top class footballer, I think our deficiencies at LB speak volumes as to why an 18 year old has been thrust into that position in our team, a right footed centre back too no less.

It's no slight on his abilities mind you, he just looks too raw at this present time.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #385 on: August 18, 2015, 08:22:14 am »
I think he did. He was clearly targeted, hence why Moreno was introduced to give him extra protection down the right.
If Henderson doesn't recover in time for Arsenal I'd start Moreno in midfield to give Gomez more protection that Lallana and Ibe are giving him.

Agree. Arsenal will be a whole new test. Would start Moreno ahead of him even if Henderson is fit.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #386 on: August 18, 2015, 08:24:12 am »
Grew as the game went on. He's elusively quick due to his size. Not to dissimilar to Arbeloa, actually.

Not sure about anyone else, but given the lad's composure it looks as if he could carve out a career as a holding midfielder.

He'll have to get behind Agger in the queue first!

Let's just keep him where he is for now.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #387 on: August 18, 2015, 08:45:51 am »
The composure in that kid. Wow. Very good start all in all.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: August 18, 2015, 08:54:02 am »
I'm not sure about this 'out of position' idea - surely he has been brought in as a left back? I base this assertion on the fact that we would otherwise have no specific need to play him at left-back, if anywhere at all. I imagine Rodgers and whoever have seen the potential in this lad for a transition from the center to out wide whilst he is still young.
Or not, whatever.

Mate, he's clearly a cb, we're obviously short in fullback positions and it's a bonus that he can provide cover on both sides. Plenty of inexperienced  cb's have been allowed to gain experience at fullback, ala Jamie Carragher. 

Offline Henderson Our Hero

• Founding Member of the Claire Rourke Fan Club - Swedish Branch (vi håller ögonen på dig....)
  • Kopite
  • This is Jordan
« Reply #389 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:36 am »
Mate, he's clearly a cb, we're obviously short in fullback positions and it's a bonus that he can provide cover on both sides. Plenty of inexperienced  cb's have been allowed to gain experience at fullback, ala Jamie Carragher.

Carra was allways playing fullback tho, untill he moved in, yes?

nevertheless, Its hard to say what a 18y old defender "is" when hes not played a game as CB for us but allways out wide.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: August 18, 2015, 09:40:23 am »

I thought the same about the targeting. Ritchie was getting quite a lot of the ball against him, and was being allowed to cut in a bit too easily.

Don't think it helped when Ibe was switched over to the other side in the second, as he then didn't have any protection directly in front of him until Moreno came on.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: August 18, 2015, 11:00:43 am »
Carra was allways playing fullback tho, untill he moved in, yes?

nevertheless, Its hard to say what a 18y old defender "is" when hes not played a game as CB for us but allways out wide.

Yeah that's true I suppose.  With his height I think he'll go on to be a CB, but as I've said he plays the full back position well, more on the right side though,

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #392 on: August 18, 2015, 11:01:39 am »
Looking good although I'd say Moreno will fancy his chances of a recall in the next 3-4 games.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: August 18, 2015, 12:55:25 pm »
Looking good although I'd say Moreno will fancy his chances of a recall in the next 3-4 games.

I'd play them both against Arsenal as we finished last night. Ibe struggling a bit at the minute and that was a great cameo from Alberto. Gomez actually tidied up well for Lovren on a few occasions.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: August 18, 2015, 12:58:04 pm »
Gomez has done a pretty solid job, but in both games he has been susceptible to some very shaky moments. The left hand side of Lovren and Gomez will be heavily targeted against Arsenal - so I'd be tempted to give Moreno a go after his cameo appearance.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #395 on: August 18, 2015, 02:43:24 pm »
Gomez has done a pretty solid job, but in both games he has been susceptible to some very shaky moments. The left hand side of Lovren and Gomez will be heavily targeted against Arsenal - so I'd be tempted to give Moreno a go after his cameo appearance.
Why wouldn't Moreno be targeted also? He was often caught out of position last season which, in a back four, meant the left sided centre-back being dragged out wide and out of position.

It was good to see Moreno with plenty of running and eagerness last night but it's going to take more than a 10-minute cameo from him before I'd put him back in, especially after bact-to-back clean-sheets.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:49:35 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #396 on: August 18, 2015, 02:48:40 pm »
Why would you want to bring Moreno back in at left back because of a 10 minute appearance when he was playing LM/LW?

I like the shouts of playing both, especially for Arsenal away. Get some width into the team, protect that left side, and allow Moreno to focus on attacking.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #397 on: August 18, 2015, 03:02:41 pm »
He was decent but there were times where they easily exploited him. Especially that guy called Ritchie. He'll definitely be our weak point against Arsenal.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:22:38 pm by Zoomers »
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2015, 03:05:38 pm »
He was decent but there times where they easily exploited him. Especially that guy called Ritchie. He'll definitely be our weak point against Arsenal.

Ritchie got more than 30 goals and assists last year. He is arguably their best player and except that one time where he cut inside to hit the post, Gomez kept him fairly quiet.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #399 on: August 18, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »
Ritchie got more than 30 goals and assists last year.

Eh? Sorry to be pedantic but I was looking at him before the game, he scored 15 last season. Presume you mean a combined tally of 30 maybe.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.