Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 26221 times)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: The Beatles
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2019, 09:15:47 pm »
How has this thread been dormant for 10 years  :o :D
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: September 29, 2019, 10:57:21 am »
If you are in that kind of thing, Radio 2 digital has Beatles love songs on this morning starting at 11.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: October 1, 2019, 06:17:02 pm »
loved the early albums as a kid. loved the mid stuff (revolver etc) in my 20s, and now decade or 2 later only really starting the appreciate the likes of abbey road. a band for the whole of your life.

a thought occurred to me in recent years, 10 albums in 8ish years. all killer no filler, we'll never see the likes again. how did they do it. aliens or time travel? either way i dont believe it was a fluke haha.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2020, 10:26:19 am »
Can't wait for this made from 56 hours of unseen footage. hopefully all the footage will be released one day

The Beatles: Get Back - A Sneak Peek from Peter Jackson
PETER JACKSON REVEALS SNEAK PEEK OF HIS UPCOMING MUSIC DOCUMENTARY “THE BEATLES: GET BACK” ONLINE AND STREAMING ON DISNEY+
Feature-Length Film Opens in Theatres August 27, 2021

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UocEGvQ10OE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UocEGvQ10OE</a>

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:39:49 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2020, 10:52:18 am »
Can't wait for this made from 56 hours of unseen footage. hopefully all the footage will be released one day

PETER JACKSON REVEALS SNEAK PEEK OF HIS UPCOMING MUSIC DOCUMENTARY “THE BEATLES: GET BACK” ONLINE AND STREAMING ON DISNEY+

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UocEGvQ10OE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UocEGvQ10OE</a>

Not a real fan of The Beatles, but that looks amazing.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2020, 11:54:04 am »
I used to love the Beatles as a kid. Fantastic songs and great lyrics.

Then I got to the 80s and then the 90s and although I do like a lot of stuff from the 50s and 60s and 70s - it just seemed that everyone loves the Beatles and I genuinelly went off them (Despite having pretty much everything they've done)

I think it was more a kickback against the 'Establishment' - I don't like a lot of other 'popular bands' for the same reason

Now I've got a bit older, liking or disliking anything because other people like or dislike it is a bit stupid.

Nowdays I can listen to the Beatles (And many other bands I wouldn't have touched with a bargepole) and appreciate the music, fun, wittiness and sadness contained in their songs.

Maybe it's like this for everyone - as I get older, I find I'm coming full circle back to things that actually make me happy rather than worrying about anything outside that.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2020, 01:27:15 pm »

love it, as he says it'll put a smile on your face - nice one

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2020, 02:09:32 pm »

Looks great - The Beatles are more than just a band that makes music

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2020, 03:11:40 pm »
That looks excellent. Brightened up my day. Looking forward to that. Lennon looks so thin in some of those scenes.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2020, 05:09:21 pm »
McCartney was interviewed by Idris Elba over weekend on the BBC. Wasn't great.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2020, 05:11:30 pm »

In what way ? Health , will try catch up to watch it

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2020, 05:13:07 pm »
In what way ? Health
Oh no! Rubbish questions!

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2020, 05:21:25 pm »

Already the greatest film ever, judging by George's suit.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2020, 05:25:26 pm »

I got the vibe that Idris is good mates with Stella Mc.  That's how he got the gig.

Purely a plug for his new album "McCartney III" poorly disguised inside a few crap questions from Elba.  The album was spookily released on Friday in time for Crimbo.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2020, 08:24:09 pm »
Already the greatest film ever, judging by George's suit.

That would have been our 3rd kit this season if he had of stayed with NB.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: December 22, 2020, 12:56:04 am »
I got the vibe that Idris is good mates with Stella Mc.  That's how he got the gig.

Purely a plug for his new album "McCartney III" poorly disguised inside a few crap questions from Elba.  The album was spookily released on Friday in time for Crimbo.
Yeah it was just plug for the new album. Shame really was a wasted opportunity.

Kind of knew it wasn't going to be great when they discussed condensed milk.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2020, 09:57:15 am »
Yeah it was just plug for the new album. Shame really was a wasted opportunity.

Kind of knew it wasn't going to be great when they discussed condensed milk.

Yeah, I had hopes when Idris said he was a 'massive fan' at the start, but these quickly faded when he started talking about the 'research' he'd done for the interview which consisted of pretty basic stuff. It annoys me that people who don't really know much about someone like Macca, or The Beatles, get these gigs. James Corden was the same, didn't even know the words to some of the songs on the carpool karaoke thing, was embarrasing.

Offline joe buck

• Legacy Fan
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2020, 06:56:22 pm »
I luv the Beatles mate. Anyone who doesn't hasn't got a clue.

:wave
music is all about personal taste rog .

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: December 23, 2020, 01:47:14 pm »
Yeah, I had hopes when Idris said he was a 'massive fan' at the start, but these quickly faded when he started talking about the 'research' he'd done for the interview which consisted of pretty basic stuff. It annoys me that people who don't really know much about someone like Macca, or The Beatles, get these gigs. James Corden was the same, didn't even know the words to some of the songs on the carpool karaoke thing, was embarrasing.
Spot on. Was very basic interview at best.

For prime time Saturday television as well it was badly done.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2020, 02:26:17 pm »
Peter Jackson doing some kind of film isn't he?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Why were the Beatles so successful, and why are they still popular today?
« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2021, 02:11:58 pm »
Peter Jackson is doing his magic filmmaking with a Documentary on The Beatles, after his WW1 documentary he did  then this will be stellar, he's done a little snippet of what to expect in it.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2021, 02:18:06 pm »
Looking forward to this. Just when you think you’ve seen all there is to see other stuff appears. Personally I never get sick of it. Loved the film that Ron Howard did a few years back too. I’m sure Jackson will do a great job. Still the greatest band ever imo.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2021, 10:28:40 pm »
Decent effort La Vecchia but I do think you may need to fine tune it if you want to tell it like it really was.

;D

Hope you take all my comments in the right spirit but as someone who's been around long enough to know the score a bit I feel somewhat compelled to make some random inserts which are very relevant and should help you to straighten a few er facts which appear to have been gleaned from sources that are, shall we say, less than knowledgeable certainly about all things Liverpool.

I think the point to emerge from all the info I've provided is that the Beatles did not just emerge out of thin air from a place that nobody knew about. Liverpool, despite its understandable post war struggles to recover, was known everywhere across the globe and, along with only Glasgow and Lancashire as a whole of other provincial places in Britain, had a long established dna of national stature in music and entertainment.

In other words The Beatles at base level were very much innate products of the city they came from. The opening para stating that nothing much came from the city is manifestly untrue. Lots came from the city. Obviously nothing remotely like The Beatles but then nowhere in the world has ever produced anything remotely akin to The Beatles. 

Hope that apart from being a pain in the arse what I've said helps you.

:)

Ha ha. First time the thread's been back up for 12 years. I presume from the absence of a response back then to my sincere offer of help that my geordie buddy La Veccia did see his arse re what I said. Still, hope it went well mate.

;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:41:21 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2021, 10:40:34 pm »
Peter Jackson is doing his magic filmmaking with a Documentary on The Beatles, after his WW1 documentary he did  then this will be stellar, he's done a little snippet of what to expect in it.

Cheers for that RedS.

From what I've gleaned from bits I've read it seems it's gonna present a different and more harmonious slant on their final days than the acrimony that we've all come to understand down the years. If so, whether it be totally true reflection or not I'll certainly lap it up through my rose tinted Beatles goggles.   ;D

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2021, 10:53:40 pm »
Cheers for that RedS.

From what I've gleaned from bits I've read it seems it's gonna present a different and more harmonious slant on their final days than the acrimony that we've all come to understand down the years. If so, whether it be totally true reflection or not I'll certainly lap it up through my rose tinted Beatles goggles.   ;D
56 hours of Unseen footage, should be amazing viewing.

From that snippet, another thing i noticed as well is Yoko looms very large, she's practically in every shot at arms length from the band when they are recording, the band look so happy and jovial, i don't think they'll be anything controversial in it.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2021, 11:02:01 pm »
56 hours of Unseen footage, should be amazing viewing.

From that snippet, another thing i noticed as well is Yoko looms very large, she's practically in every shot at arms length from the band when they are recording, the band look so happy and jovial, i don't think they'll be anything controversial in it.

Yeah. Cannot wait.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: February 1, 2021, 12:23:40 am »
Love the part in that trailer when they’re like “hey don’t interrupt us, we’re stars dontcha know” i hope it contains as much silliness as possible. What a career jacksons had. The honour of bring Lord of the Rings to the big screen and now the joy of sifting through 56 hours of never before seen beatles footage.

On a side note listen to george harrison live in japan. Its a 1991 gig with clapton and its a great setlist. Including some songs that had never been performed live till then. Taxman being an example
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2024, 08:58:07 pm »
Just announced today Sam Mendes will be directing 4 biographys about The Beatles, one for each member from their own pov. They'll be released in 2027.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/four-beatles-biopics-director-sam-mendes-each-band-member/
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John