Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 591461 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #360 on: September 13, 2011, 04:33:44 am »
Carroll's scored 3 times as much as Torres has at his new club, in nearly half a many starts.

I call bullshit.

And Torres scored 65 in 102 matches for Liverpool compared to 2 in 10 for Carroll

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: September 13, 2011, 04:36:19 am »
Didn't he call the Chelsea squad 'slow and old' or something?

:lmao :lmao :lmao
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #362 on: September 13, 2011, 04:40:14 am »
And Torres scored 65 in 102 matches for Liverpool compared to 2 in 10 for Carroll

What's your point? That Torres was a better player than Carroll? Yeah. Well done.

Your logic is shite. I'd have Roger Hunt back ahead of either, because his scoring record was amazing. Oh hang on, that was a while back, right?

A injured Carroll, that's in and out of the team, has scored more than Torres has over the same time, whilst he's played in less games than everyone's favourite sulky Spaniard.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #363 on: September 13, 2011, 04:47:45 am »
No point in having Torres back without the midfield to support him. True our midfield is better suited to Torres than Chelseas but Adam is hardly Xabi.   Besides, Torres no longer fits our buying policy.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Fernando Torres
« Reply #364 on: September 13, 2011, 04:54:14 am »
What's your point? That Torres was a better player than Carroll? Yeah. Well done.

Your logic is shite. I'd have Roger Hunt back ahead of either, because his scoring record was amazing. Oh hang on, that was a while back, right?

A injured Carroll, that's in and out of the team, has scored more than Torres has over the same time, whilst he's played in less games than everyone's favourite sulky Spaniard.

So my logic is shite but you comparing Carroll to Torres by Torres stats in Chelsea is genius,right?

Torres fits better with our system than Chelsea just like Newcastle's system was perfect for Carroll as well.So when they are both good and fit,of course I'd say Torres.

I think he regrets leaving Liverpool now and I think he knows he could have been great up front with Suarez.

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: September 13, 2011, 04:57:21 am »
So my logic is shite but you comparing Carroll to Torres by Torres stats in Chelsea is genius,right?

You're in the danger zone. Seriously.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:12 am »
goal.com is a shit source but looks like Villas-Boas is pissed with his comments

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2011/09/12/2662547/chelsea-questions-fernando-torres-over-criticism-of

Fernando Torres, step into Andre Villas-Boas' office.

After Torres called out his "very slow" and "old" teammates on Spain's Primera Liga website and later translated to English on his personal site, Chelsea's management has decided to review the comments in what is the latest low moment for the striker since joining the club last January.

"We are going in-depth to regain the tape of that interview," said Villas-Boas, the Chelsea manager. "We'll see if things play exactly as they are in that interview."

Torres has scored a grand total of one goal for the Blues in 18 Premier League games. It's not quite what Chelsea expected when it dished out over $79 million for the former Liverpool player, who had much more success at Anfield with 65 goals in 102 league games.

But, according to the translation, Torres did have an excuse for his lack of offensive power prior to being benched in Chelsea's 2-1 win over Sunderland over the weekend.

Torres' website, in Spanish, sees the 27-year-old say that the type of players Chelsea have "juega muy lento" - which translated means, "play very slowly". However, Torres has stated that he was misquoted by the online publication.

Still, those words struck a nerve with Villas-Boas, and if the translation proves accurate, the 33-year-old coach will surely take the proper action.

"We'd just talk. Just talk to share opinion. If it was unauthorised, I'd fine him. Of course. Anyhow, it's one player's perspective," Villas-Boas said. "I don't think it's a perspective that the manager shares. I don't have to share my players' ideas sometimes.

"I think we have competence, apart from the 'age problem', which for me is not a problem. Maybe we just have to speak about that situation and he has to see our view as well."

It is unclear if Torres will once again be on the bench Tuesday for Chelsea, which watched Daniel Sturridge take his place and score the team's second goal against Sunderland. If he sits, Villas-Boas expects some unhappiness.

But, as he says, who would be happy on the bench?

"I think any player who's not part of the squad or part of the selected players is not happy," Villas-Boas said. "I'm glad because maybe you can stimulate them to go one step further or motivate them a bit more."

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #367 on: September 13, 2011, 06:05:07 am »
why would i take him back?

because he is much better than Carroll and he would be perfect with Suarez

Is or was? Are we talking Torres of 2 years ago or the one now? Remind me what Torres has done since January for his club side?

Completely different types of players bought for completely different purposes....just in case you hadn't noticed.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #368 on: September 13, 2011, 06:07:54 am »
???

Now that is comparing apples with oranges!

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:54 am »
Is or was? Are we talking Torres of 2 years ago or the one now? Remind me what Torres has done since January for his club side?

As bad as he is for Chelsea, didn't he score 10 goals for us last season?  Think only Kuyt scored more and that was over the full season.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #370 on: September 13, 2011, 07:16:36 am »
As bad as he is for Chelsea, didn't he score 10 goals for us last season?  Think only Kuyt scored more and that was over the full season.

;)

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:49 am »
Remind me what Torres has done since January for his club side?

3 goals in 4? or 5? games under the King. He bossed Everton too.

Then ended up at Chelsea and scored 1 in... can't remember how many games. 
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #372 on: September 13, 2011, 08:15:04 am »
Oh how the mighty have fallen!

Silly boy.

I think Fat Scouser mentioned it in one of the threads yest. "patience seems a lost art". Torres can have that printed out and pasted on his wall ;D
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #373 on: September 13, 2011, 08:19:53 am »
I'd like him to come back because as someone said earlier, he is a deadly finisher. It's not that we lack finishers, it's that Torres was one of, if not the best in the world and it's far too easy to see the chasm in difference between a world class finisher and someone we brought in who is much younger and still learning the game, and his team.

I don't see him coming back because I don't see where he would fit in.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #374 on: September 13, 2011, 08:38:40 am »
just watched all his goals in that clip (though it's missing hte ones from second half of 3rd yr - sunderland, benfica, mancs, etc)

but.. you know what

fuck me ...looks like I ain't over it yet judging by my reaction to all those 14 minutes.

fuck off life (and Fernando Torres)

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #375 on: September 13, 2011, 08:59:19 am »
Hope he's on the bench again tonight the prick.

Offline Borninbethlehem

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:57 am »

Where do people see him going from here? Will he rediscover some of his form? Will he stay at Chelsea past this season? Is that all she wrote for him as a top level player? Is it the end of him in England?

Torres is still the same player that played for us. He hasn't lost a yard of pace. He looked extremely sharp in Chelsea's first match, just like the Torres of old. In my opinion, his style of play and Chelsea's style of play don't suit each other. We played very directly when Torres was in the team, whereas Chelsea don't. He was the focal point of our team, whereas he isn't for Chelsea.

What happens from here? Who knows. But I can see him leaving Chelsea at the end of the season if he doesn't gel with the team and score more goals. I think he made a big mistake moving to Chelsea, and I think he realises this. I bet he goes to bed wishing he was playing alongside Luis and banging them in for us.

Anyway, at least we can laugh that Chelsea paid us 50 million for him, and we got Suarez for half the price! :-)

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #377 on: September 13, 2011, 09:29:11 am »
???

Now that is comparing apples with oranges!

yes, you don't have apple bastards
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: September 13, 2011, 09:30:21 am »
I can't help but think that if we only bought suarez and didn't loan/sell anyone we could have had a first team of

Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Breitner
Lucas
Gerrard/Meireles Aquilani
Kuyt/Gerrard ------------------ Suarez
Torres

Would have been incredible to watch with Kenny's pass and move, but as JWH implied, it's better to aim for sustained success over a period, rather than just one tilt at the title, so it's equally alright that we've gone for the project, especially when we're not in the champions league right now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:51:49 am by PJG »

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:39 am »
What we need now is a formation with players we shouldn't have sold, like, erm, Aqualini and Mereiles
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:44 am »
He tried to explain it in an interview. Said basically, he would never have gone to United or City out of respect for us, and Barca had Villa and he'd never sign for Real. So Chelsea were basically the only option for him.
What about staying with us?  :D Oh wait he wouldn't have got his massive lump sum if he did that.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline RuncornRed25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:45 am »
goal.com is a shit source but looks like Villas-Boas is pissed with his comments

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2011/09/12/2662547/chelsea-questions-fernando-torres-over-criticism-of

Fernando Torres, step into Andre Villas-Boas' office.

After Torres called out his "very slow" and "old" teammates on Spain's Primera Liga website and later translated to English on his personal site, Chelsea's management has decided to review the comments in what is the latest low moment for the striker since joining the club last January.

"We are going in-depth to regain the tape of that interview," said Villas-Boas, the Chelsea manager. "We'll see if things play exactly as they are in that interview."

Torres has scored a grand total of one goal for the Blues in 18 Premier League games. It's not quite what Chelsea expected when it dished out over $79 million for the former Liverpool player, who had much more success at Anfield with 65 goals in 102 league games.

But, according to the translation, Torres did have an excuse for his lack of offensive power prior to being benched in Chelsea's 2-1 win over Sunderland over the weekend.

Torres' website, in Spanish, sees the 27-year-old say that the type of players Chelsea have "juega muy lento" - which translated means, "play very slowly". However, Torres has stated that he was misquoted by the online publication.

Still, those words struck a nerve with Villas-Boas, and if the translation proves accurate, the 33-year-old coach will surely take the proper action.

"We'd just talk. Just talk to share opinion. If it was unauthorised, I'd fine him. Of course. Anyhow, it's one player's perspective," Villas-Boas said. "I don't think it's a perspective that the manager shares. I don't have to share my players' ideas sometimes.

"I think we have competence, apart from the 'age problem', which for me is not a problem. Maybe we just have to speak about that situation and he has to see our view as well."

It is unclear if Torres will once again be on the bench Tuesday for Chelsea, which watched Daniel Sturridge take his place and score the team's second goal against Sunderland. If he sits, Villas-Boas expects some unhappiness.

But, as he says, who would be happy on the bench?

"I think any player who's not part of the squad or part of the selected players is not happy," Villas-Boas said. "I'm glad because maybe you can stimulate them to go one step further or motivate them a bit more."

Heard it straight from the horses mouth this morning on Sky, surprised he never played it down and kept it "in house"

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: September 13, 2011, 09:35:04 am »
What's he said wrong anyway? Seems to be just Rick Astley using it as an excuse not to play him

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: September 13, 2011, 09:38:40 am »
What we need now is a formation with players we shouldn't have sold, like, erm, Aquilani and Meireles
How about a team full of players that deserve to be in the starting eleven week in  week out like, erm, a team full of carraghers and of course torres up front

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:14 am »
I can't help but think that if we only bought suarez and didn't loan/sell anyone we could have had a first team of

Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Insua
Lucas
Gerrard/Meireles Aquilani
Kuyt/Gerrard ------------------ Suarez
Torres

Would have been incredible to watch with Kenny's pass and move, but as JWH implied, it's better to aim for sustained success over a period, rather than just one tilt at the title, so it's equally alright that we've gone for the project, especially when we're not in the champions league right now.
That team would leak a lot of goals. And where's Enrique?  :o
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #385 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:26 am »
I always felt one of the reasons that helped him here among others was that he got off the mark early on

vs chelsea actually, and it was an utterly stunning goal. i think that gave him a huge boost

but going so long without a goal with chelsea is bound to have effected him big time. i think he would be well into double figures if (for eg) he scored against us on his debut.

his loss
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Breitner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48:42 am »
Just noticed who is at LB  :D

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: September 13, 2011, 09:52:10 am »
Can't believe any Liverpool fan would want that c*nt back at anfield.

He doesn't deserve to play for Liverpool.

Personally, i'm revelling in his current predicament. We seen in January that he wasn't the man we thought he was, now he's showing himself to be a bit of a spectacular tit.

we've replaced him, easily, and he'll never replace us.

He'll probably sign for Malaga in the summer.

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #388 on: September 13, 2011, 09:56:38 am »
he's a busted flush, £50m.......... el tuffo shitto Nando............  :wanker
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

Offline Breitner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: September 13, 2011, 09:57:42 am »
Can't believe any Liverpool fan would want that c*nt back at anfield.

He doesn't deserve to play for Liverpool.

Personally, i'm revelling in his current predicament. We seen in January that he wasn't the man we thought he was, now he's showing himself to be a bit of a spectacular tit.

we've replaced him, easily, and he'll never replace us.

He'll probably sign for Malaga in the summer.

People make mistakes. Life would be a bit shit if we couldn't forgive anyone. He's still one of our greatest ever goalscorers who made a kneejerk decision to leave and said some daft things in the process that he probably regrets. It's not going to happen anyway but I'm past hating him, I'll reserve that for little judas c*nts like Owen

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:38 am »
Torres is still the same player that played for us. He hasn't lost a yard of pace. He looked extremely sharp in Chelsea's first match, just like the Torres of old. In my opinion, his style of play and Chelsea's style of play don't suit each other. We played very directly when Torres was in the team, whereas Chelsea don't. He was the focal point of our team, whereas he isn't for Chelsea.

What happens from here? Who knows. But I can see him leaving Chelsea at the end of the season if he doesn't gel with the team and score more goals. I think he made a big mistake moving to Chelsea, and I think he realises this. I bet he goes to bed wishing he was playing alongside Luis and banging them in for us.

Anyway, at least we can laugh that Chelsea paid us 50 million for him, and we got Suarez for half the price! :-)

Eh?

The media were spunking all over that performance, over what looked like one run into the box where he beat two players, that's about all he did really. Yeah he looked sharper than before, but back to the 'Torres of old'? The same Torres that used to rip defences open week-in week-out? He was nothing like that Torres.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2011, 10:04:15 am »
People make mistakes. Life would be a bit shit if we couldn't forgive anyone. He's still one of our greatest ever goalscorers who made a kneejerk decision to leave and said some daft things in the process that he probably regrets. It's not going to happen anyway but I'm past hating him, I'll reserve that for little judas c*nts like Owen

Kneejerk? He wanted to leave for about 12 months and it was obvious in his play.

He can do whatever he likes, he's a free man, but lets face it he now needs us more than we need him. Fuck him. I'd never give him the chance to play for us again and thankfully I don't think Kenny / FSG ever would either.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2011, 10:06:27 am »
i think he would be well into double figures if (for eg) he scored against us on his debut.

his loss

Always thought that. Can still hear Martin Tyler's scream. It looked a certain goal.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2011, 10:08:05 am »
The lad was/is an idiot, lets be fair.

Kenny came in, gave the place a huge lift, everyone cheered right up and he got us scoring again, Torres though thought it was a false dawn, where we'd just fall away again.

Signs this season show that isn't the case, we've been brought back down to earth with the expectations due to Stoke and Sunderland but we are missing that natural finisher that Torres was.

Him and Suarez would have been immense, add Downing and Enrique and we would have been set for the season.

Won't be suprised to see us bring in another out and out striker in January.

Offline Breitner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:03 am »
He was unhappy and his attitude at times was a disgrace but I think he just wanted the same things we did. My only gripe is he left Kenny in the lurch at a time when there was a new positive attitude around the place. If he'd waited and was still restless he might have got a move to a better club. All ifs and buts but I think we'd be certs for the top 4 with him alongside Suarez. And I'd still have AC aswell

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:59 am »
long past hating him, myself.
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: September 13, 2011, 10:13:41 am »
Always thought that. Can still hear Martin Tyler's scream. It looked a certain goal.

IS THIS THE MOMENT?!
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline TheVoiceOfRiise

• Legacy Fan
  • www.solavirtus.co.uk
    • Sola Virtus
« Reply #397 on: September 13, 2011, 10:13:47 am »
I think he'd be a steal at 10m... would surely have a serious point to prove to us fans too.
he'll end up at man city at some point...
Please have a listen  to my band - www.solavirtus.co.uk

Offline petrichor

• Kopite
« Reply #398 on: September 13, 2011, 10:14:00 am »
fans seem to veer from extreme love to extreme hatred
wouldn't mind torres back at a cut price, he made a wrong decision but is still a top class striker who has performed in the EPL
we do need another striker but since we brought back bellamy, can't see shelling out on another high wage earner

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #399 on: September 13, 2011, 10:29:57 am »
The way Chelsea set up, it doesn't suit Torres's game. When he was with us, team always looked to isolate opposition defender and play the ball quickly for him to run at them. On contrary Chelsea builds slowly from wings (not through middle) and thus taking out the side of him (his pace and movement) which made him so successful with us. I don't think he'll ever regain that form with the way Chelsea plays. By the time the ball is played to him, he is surrounded by 4-5 opposition players. To get best out of him, you have to play him on the shoulder of last defender.

He might have lost bit of pace but he still has enough to leave defenders behind when played through and we know all about his movement when he is playing on the shoulder of last defender.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.