Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 107156 times)

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #480 on: October 13, 2015, 05:03:52 pm »
My cat is like a dog. Will eat anything. Even knicked a lump of chicken jalfrezi off me when I wasnt looking and wasnt fazed by the heat one iota. She'd have had the rest away if I hadnt caught her. Bad kitty.

Can buy any cat food and she will eat it. All of it. And lick the bowl.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #481 on: October 13, 2015, 05:16:25 pm »
My cat is like a dog. Will eat anything. Even knicked a lump of chicken jalfrezi off me when I wasnt looking and wasnt fazed by the heat one iota. She'd have had the rest away if I hadnt caught her. Bad kitty.

Can buy any cat food and she will eat it. All of it. And lick the bowl.

Haha! My eldest cat Maxi loves pompadoms and peshwari naan!

He also has a thing for strawberry laces. We would buy them for ourselves and he'd come over and show an interest, but we assume it was just to play with, as we were dangling them from our mouiths - then he ate one! Ever since, as soon as we open a packet he is straight on it. He has no interest in other sweets/chocolate etc... but goes mad for the laces. We noticed him appearing in the bathroom sink more and more one week, we would have to shoo him down repeatedly until we discovered that he was after the strawberry laces scented handwash!

Strange, but beautiful creatures!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:30:25 am by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #482 on: October 13, 2015, 05:44:45 pm »
My previous cat loved popcorn. Went absolutely mad for it.

Offline Upanishad

• Change is good
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • hi
« Reply #483 on: October 13, 2015, 10:04:24 pm »
My advice: don't keep one!

*ducks for cover*

Far too many cats in our area, ruining the natural habitat, no wonder there are hardly any birds in the garden.
Voyager-1 is on course to approach a star called AC +793888, but it will only get to within two light-years of it and it will be tens of thousands of years before it does so.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #484 on: October 14, 2015, 08:33:19 am »
You dont 'keep' a cat. They keep you.

My cat is a mouser. She likes a mouse for pudding right after her food.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #485 on: October 14, 2015, 11:27:56 am »
My advice: don't keep one!

*ducks for cover*

Far too many cats in our area, ruining the natural habitat, no wonder there are hardly any birds in the garden.

Bit stereotypical that.  I've had up to 4 cats and none of them was ever interested in the birds we fed all winter,  and they certainly didn't prevent any flying in to feed.  They decimated the local rodent population though ((the cats)  so it was all good as far as I was concerned!!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: October 20, 2015, 09:29:42 pm »
Parents just had to put down their cat of 14 years :(

Shame man.

RIP Chutney.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #487 on: October 20, 2015, 09:54:43 pm »

Shame man.

RIP Chutney.

RIP Chutney (good name)

Ours is 17.5 years.  She's starting to struggle.  Case of deciding when to take her to the vet.  She's not massively ill but she'll chuck her food up a couple of times a week.  I wish she'd get on with the kitten and i think they would if they were both tired - and they did settle together for a few minutes once

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #488 on: October 20, 2015, 09:56:18 pm »
RIP Chutney :(

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: October 20, 2015, 09:57:26 pm »
RIP Chutney (good name)

Ours is 17.5 years.  She's starting to struggle.  Case of deciding when to take her to the vet.  She's not massively ill but she'll chuck her food up a couple of times a week.  I wish she'd get on with the kitten and i think they would if they were both tired - and they did settle together for a few minutes once

Thanks mate.

Her kidneys had started to fail and was retaining water badly. They had to take her to the vet every 2 weeks to get it drained, something 1-2 pounds of water every time. She had a great life though.

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #490 on: October 21, 2015, 08:34:30 am »
Mrs Dips was 21yrs when she passed away. The sweetest cat you ever knew. Dammit, i'm getting all maudlin now. I miss that cat.

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: October 21, 2015, 08:52:03 am »
RIP Chutney (good name)

We lost ours a few months ago, she was 17 and was blind, had heart and kidney problems, had to have 7 teeth out and just when we thought we had her ok she developed a tumour on her jaw which was very slow growing but eventually we had to take the decision to put her to sleep, it was very traumatic, particularly for my wife , anyway a couple of weeks ago we decided to look for a new one and we have a beautiful new kitten, half ragdoll, half siamese, she is a delight .
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: October 21, 2015, 09:32:00 am »

Shame man.

RIP Chutney.

Heartbreaking.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #493 on: October 22, 2015, 11:24:19 am »
Kasumi pics of her chilling and after surveying her kingdom (i think she's getting desperate to go wandering outside)

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #494 on: October 22, 2015, 12:32:19 pm »

Shame man.

RIP Chutney.

RIP kitty - thanks for keeping the Chakans company.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #495 on: October 22, 2015, 12:34:59 pm »
Kasumi pics of her chilling and after surveying her kingdom (i think she's getting desperate to go wandering outside)

Is he a little bit purple? He looks cool. Good kitty!

God I miss my cats.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: October 22, 2015, 01:20:43 pm »
RIP kitty - thanks for keeping the Chakans company.

Thanks mate. They have another cat at the moment who they are lavishing affection on.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #497 on: October 22, 2015, 01:20:57 pm »
Is he a little bit purple? He looks cool. Good kitty!

God I miss my cats.

She's dark grey and getting darker by the day.  She's bonkers - kids love her - they even put up with her scratching and biting.  Already broke a vase and knocked things off here, there and everywhere.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: October 23, 2015, 07:39:11 pm »
Kasumi looks delightful! Nice name too.

My heartfelt thoughts go out to your parents, Chakan, for the loss of Chutney (also a lovely name). It's perhaps the hardest time of all, when our companions decline so we know a decision has to be made. Heartbreaking indeed.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: October 23, 2015, 07:56:05 pm »
Thanks all :wave

Appreciate it.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #500 on: October 30, 2015, 10:20:41 am »
Operation on Wednesday.  Not happy with the lampshade.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: October 30, 2015, 10:27:21 am »
Aww bless!! It doesn't hide the cuteness at least!

Maxi, my cat (1.5 years) started sneezing yesterday evening. He did it about 10-15 times in a row and then a few times later in the evening. He slept at the bottom or our bed last night and I didn't hear him sneeze then or this morning at all.

Should I be worried?

He has no discharge from his nose or eyes. He's eating brilliantly and still running around like a nutter.

The only thing I can think of, is on Monday we bought one of those timed diffusers from Air Wick. It blows out a scent every couple of minutes. It's up high and there's no way he can get to it but when it makes a noise both him and Millie are fascinated, and they do over around that area. Could it be that? I also changed their litter about 10 days ago.

I'm anxious as I am not at home much this evening and have an early flight tomorrow morning, and won't be home until Monday night. Neighbours are calling in to feed them, but if he is ill, I am worried that we might not notice and maybe shouldn't leave him :/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #502 on: October 30, 2015, 02:18:44 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: October 30, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »
Aww bless!! It doesn't hide the cuteness at least!

Maxi, my cat (1.5 years) started sneezing yesterday evening. He did it about 10-15 times in a row and then a few times later in the evening. He slept at the bottom or our bed last night and I didn't hear him sneeze then or this morning at all.

Should I be worried?

He has no discharge from his nose or eyes. He's eating brilliantly and still running around like a nutter.

The only thing I can think of, is on Monday we bought one of those timed diffusers from Air Wick. It blows out a scent every couple of minutes. It's up high and there's no way he can get to it but when it makes a noise both him and Millie are fascinated, and they do over around that area. Could it be that? I also changed their litter about 10 days ago.

I'm anxious as I am not at home much this evening and have an early flight tomorrow morning, and won't be home until Monday night. Neighbours are calling in to feed them, but if he is ill, I am worried that we might not notice and maybe shouldn't leave him :/

It could be the air freshener, but unlikely, especially since the sneezing has stopped. It's much more likely he got some fluff or dust in his nose from rootling around.

Almost always, if a cat is eating well and full of energy, they are fine. No need to worry.  :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: November 3, 2015, 10:22:12 am »
It could be the air freshener, but unlikely, especially since the sneezing has stopped. It's much more likely he got some fluff or dust in his nose from rootling around.

Almost always, if a cat is eating well and full of energy, they are fine. No need to worry.  :)

Thank you! And you proved to be correct - he has been fine ever since!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #505 on: November 18, 2015, 01:35:57 pm »
We "have" 3 cats in the parking area of our building. I used  the "" cause technically they are not ours, just stray cats that just kept coming at our place and remained there since we start feeding them. 2 of them remain there but the 3rd used to cross the streets day and night looking for some extra food I guess. I always feared for her life because I saw how she recklessly crossed the street whenever she saw me (and the rest of the family) coming out of the door.

You can imagine how it hurt (and still does so much) when I had to see her dead body right beside our yard steps... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I asked a couple of neighbours which saw nothing. I guess she was hit by a passing car because I don't want to imagine the other scenario.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #506 on: November 30, 2015, 01:09:15 pm »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:42 pm »
I took Maxi, who is nearly 2, to the vets this evening for his check up and to get a new dose of flea and worm treatment.

We were out of the house for 90 minutes or so.

When we came back our kitten Millie has been terrified of him.

From what we can see Maxi hasn't harmed or hurt her but she is acting totally strange. She is watching him and just a few minutes ago scarpered when he went near her. She hid behind the toilet and sofa which she never does. :(

She won't even take a treat which isn't like her at all.

I can see online people say they have experienced cats fighting after the vets but this isn't fighting - she is just terrified.

Any idea how to rectify this?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #508 on: December 14, 2015, 09:59:26 pm »
I took Maxi, who is nearly 2, to the vets this evening for his check up and to get a new dose of flea and worm treatment.

From what we can see Maxi hasn't harmed or hurt her but she is acting totally strange. She is watching him and just a few minutes ago scarpered when he went near her. She hid behind the toilet and sofa which she never does. :(

I can see online people say they have experienced cats fighting after the vets but this isn't fighting - she is just terrified.

Maybe its the opposite.

Has your kitten or Maxi had a bad experience at the vet? Maybe the kitten sees you taking Maxi away and he comes back smelling of a vet and distressed and thinks thats going to happen to him

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: December 14, 2015, 10:12:38 pm »
Neither have had a bad experience thankfully :/

She hissed at him this evening and growled when he came near her.

Oh dear... How do I leave them alone tomorrow?

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #510 on: December 14, 2015, 10:50:25 pm »
Neither have had a bad experience thankfully :/

She hissed at him this evening and growled when he came near her.

Oh dear... How do I leave them alone tomorrow?

In separate rooms like i do with my two - they still aren't getting on

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: December 15, 2015, 12:59:23 am »

When we took ours to the vet it was always the ones we took that done the running and hiding, not the ones that got left behind. Strange that yours is the other way round. I'd guess just the fact that Millie can smell other animals off Maxi?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: December 15, 2015, 09:37:20 am »
It is so, so strange. Yesterday they were best mates, playing and chasing each other and now they are so distant.

She has been hiding behind toilets, under beds, behind sofas - she never does this. If anything, she is normally the one winding Maxi up and sometimes he wanders off for a bit of calm and quiet.

She was still hissing at him this morning but hiding less - she came out for food when it was put out but didn't manage to eat anything.

Maxi has approached her and then lay down next to her, as if to ask her to play but she's having none of it. She's so rigid and when you pick her up she just curls up in a ball.

I've left them alone this morning, but opened the spare bedroom door as sometimes she likes to sleep under that bed to give her a bit of privacy.

Going to order some of that Feliway stuff too - lots of people, including a work colleague, have good things to say about it.

Mad how their sense of smell seems to be more important to them than sight.

Thanks for all the advice.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:41:30 am by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: December 15, 2015, 09:41:10 am »
In separate rooms like i do with my two - they still aren't getting on

How long has it been now?

Do they not be alone together at all?

Do you use Feliway?

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: December 15, 2015, 10:06:13 am »
It is so, so strange. Yesterday they were best mates, playing and chasing each other and now they are so distant.

She has been hiding behind toilets, under beds, behind sofas - she never does this. If anything, she is normally the one winding Maxi up and sometimes he wanders off for a bit of calm and quiet.

She was still hissing at him this morning but hiding less - she came out for food when it was put out but didn't manage to eat anything.

Maxi has approached her and then lay down next to her, as if to ask her to play but she's having none of it. She's so rigid and when you pick her up she just curls up in a ball.

I've left them alone this morning, but opened the spare bedroom door as sometimes she likes to sleep under that bed to give her a bit of privacy.

Going to order some of that Feliway stuff too - lots of people, including a work colleague, have good things to say about it.

Mad how their sense of smell seems to be more important to them than sight.

Thanks for all the advice.

Looks like the two of them are beginning to recover. I think you have taken some excellent steps to help them.

You are quite right that smell is so much more important to cats - at least, for relationships and territory. This is what has probably done the spooking. What looked familiar now smells completely wrong - and it's in my patch!!! Maxi was probably stressed from the vet visit as well, so would have been exuding the smell of that stress. So Millie is thinking, "everyone's panicking, why, why, can't see anything?!" With you getting a bit anxious too, she took the right option which is to distrust everything until the world goes back to normal.

Giving her space and her favourite retreat is good. Feliway works for some cats, like catnip works only on some cats. It can't hurt though.

It may take a few hours or a few days until she overcomes the shock of her world having been wobbled. It's rare, but sometimes they never get back to the same connection. If you stroke both often and one after the other, you'll get the 'smell balance' back and reassure both that it's still the same home.

Cats are creatures of habit - they really don't like change!

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #515 on: December 15, 2015, 11:44:06 am »
How long has it been now?

Do they not be alone together at all?

Do you use Feliway?

Been about 4 months now - they are never going to get on.  The eldest won't allow it.  They've occasionally crossed paths and there's been hissing galore.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: December 15, 2015, 04:31:30 pm »

Looks like the two of them are beginning to recover. I think you have taken some excellent steps to help them.

You are quite right that smell is so much more important to cats - at least, for relationships and territory. This is what has probably done the spooking. What looked familiar now smells completely wrong - and it's in my patch!!! Maxi was probably stressed from the vet visit as well, so would have been exuding the smell of that stress. So Millie is thinking, "everyone's panicking, why, why, can't see anything?!" With you getting a bit anxious too, she took the right option which is to distrust everything until the world goes back to normal.

Giving her space and her favourite retreat is good. Feliway works for some cats, like catnip works only on some cats. It can't hurt though.

It may take a few hours or a few days until she overcomes the shock of her world having been wobbled. It's rare, but sometimes they never get back to the same connection. If you stroke both often and one after the other, you'll get the 'smell balance' back and reassure both that it's still the same home.

Cats are creatures of habit - they really don't like change!

Thank you!

Husband is due home soon, so we will soon see if any improvements have been made.

Next time, I am taking both to the vets to try and balance this crazy thing out.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: December 15, 2015, 04:31:47 pm »
Been about 4 months now - they are never going to get on.  The eldest won't allow it.  They've occasionally crossed paths and there's been hissing galore.

What are you going to do??

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: December 15, 2015, 04:38:08 pm »
You'll probably work out I'm not a cat, but I have been watching a program called 'My Cat from Hell' with Jackson Galaxy on Animal Planet channel. You might get some very good advice there apart from it being amusing at times.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: December 15, 2015, 09:23:26 pm »

Unfamilar smell. She'll have treated him like an imposter. They'll settle back, happens to my two every time.