Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 108307 times)

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #560 on: June 15, 2016, 08:54:52 pm »
Thanks for the advice folks

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: July 21, 2016, 08:48:25 pm »
So.

Noticed for a few days my boys been licking downstairs a LOT more than usual. Thought not a lot of it until today when he literally hasn't stopped. Also then noticed him trying and failing to pee (outside the box aswell...).

Rang the vets they told me to bring him in straight away. Blocked up and touch and go whether he'll get through it all. Goes to show you should never ignore the little signs!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: July 21, 2016, 11:37:15 pm »
Fingers crossed circa  :wave
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #563 on: July 22, 2016, 01:32:57 pm »
So.

Noticed for a few days my boys been licking downstairs a LOT more than usual. Thought not a lot of it until today when he literally hasn't stopped. Also then noticed him trying and failing to pee (outside the box aswell...).

Rang the vets they told me to bring him in straight away. Blocked up and touch and go whether he'll get through it all. Goes to show you should never ignore the little signs!

Aw, that's really sad to hear. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #564 on: July 22, 2016, 01:46:52 pm »
Hope he pulls through Circa

Pebs is getting herself "done" today so she soon enough can finally run about the garden without coming back to the house preggers! 

I can't believe how they are both getting on so well. Also we found out that Kasumi loves water as my youngest was squirting her with a water pistol and she loved it.  He literally poured water from the gun over her head and she couldn't get enough.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: July 22, 2016, 02:12:18 pm »
Hope he pulls through Circa

Pebs is getting herself "done" today so she soon enough can finally run about the garden without coming back to the house preggers! 

I can't believe how they are both getting on so well. Also we found out that Kasumi loves water as my youngest was squirting her with a water pistol and she loved it.  He literally poured water from the gun over her head and she couldn't get enough.

Haha! That sounds so cute!

Let us know how she gets on, getting 'fixed'. We have Millie booked in for Friday to get done. Had to reschedule a few times as apparently she will be in a cone-thing for a few weeks - did your vets inform you of this?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #566 on: July 22, 2016, 03:17:11 pm »
Haha! That sounds so cute!

Let us know how she gets on, getting 'fixed'. We have Millie booked in for Friday to get done. Had to reschedule a few times as apparently she will be in a cone-thing for a few weeks - did your vets inform you of this?

No idea, the wife has organised it all.  Normally i'm left to take her to the vets which means she hates me (Pebs, not the wife although......).  Any road the lass at the vets is a bit of a looker - maybe i should tell the wife that!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:50:13 pm by Ziltoid »

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #567 on: July 22, 2016, 03:32:31 pm »
So.

Best wishes for a full recovery for him la. :wave
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: July 25, 2016, 11:10:40 am »
Cheers for the well wishes folks.

4 days later and he's not fully recovered (nor guarenteed to), but he's home!

Got more medicine than Doctor Quinn medicine woman, but he went to the toilet by himself last night (and pissed himself in the car on the way home from the vets after they'd said they weren't sure he was able to go without the catheter but wanted him to try it!). So we'll see. Still abnormal amounts of licking downstairs, but I guess I'd be wanting to sooth myself down there if someone had stuck a catheter in me for 72 hours...

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #569 on: July 25, 2016, 11:31:33 am »

Got more medicine than Doctor Quinn medicine woman, but he went to the toilet by himself last night (and pissed himself in the car on the way home from the vets after they'd said they weren't sure he was able to go without the catheter but wanted him to try it!). So we'll see. Still abnormal amounts of licking downstairs, but I guess I'd be wanting to sooth myself down there if someone had stuck a catheter in me for 72 hours...

Fingers crossed for you Circa

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #570 on: July 25, 2016, 11:44:56 am »

Good luck. Pretty hard not knowing what's wrong with them. It's not like they can tell you.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: July 25, 2016, 12:21:27 pm »

Good to know he's home. Surely the vet gave you some idea of the problem? If it was struvite for example, that is painful but can be fixed with diet. If it's renal failure, that's bad news. They must know something? (Blood tests must have been done, surely?)
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #572 on: July 25, 2016, 01:12:29 pm »
Hope he's OK :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: July 25, 2016, 01:30:40 pm »
No idea, the wife has organised it all.  Normally i'm left to take her to the vets which means she hates me (Pebs, not the wife although......).  Any road the lass at the vets is a bit of a looker - maybe i should tell the wife that!

Ah bless them! One of mine is obsessed with the shower and bath, when one of us comes out of either, she jumps straight in whilst it's still wet - might try her with a water gun!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: July 25, 2016, 01:31:37 pm »

I guess it's great that they allowed him to come home, hopefully you will see improvements over the next few days. Will they take him back for a check up?

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: July 25, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »
Good to know he's home. Surely the vet gave you some idea of the problem? If it was struvite for example, that is painful but can be fixed with diet. If it's renal failure, that's bad news. They must know something? (Blood tests must have been done, surely?)

Basically it was a blockage. They think the blockage is cleared, but the trauma/inflamation caused by the catheter causes a similar problem. He's been a few times today and seems okayish (although his sister won't go near him due to the vet smell).

Big problem now is the sodding medicine bottle. I'm all for child proofing, but jesus wept...

Edit: In terms of asking for actual 'advice' - how do you get cats to not hate each other after a lengthy vets visit? These two have lived side by side in a strange truce/harmony for nearly 5 years, and now the girl won't be within 10 feet of him without hissing after this...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:09:14 pm by Circa1892 »

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #576 on: July 25, 2016, 07:29:11 pm »

This one is weird hates my bird but loves me I'm used to the other way haha.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2016, 10:40:49 am »
Basically it was a blockage. They think the blockage is cleared, but the trauma/inflamation caused by the catheter causes a similar problem. He's been a few times today and seems okayish (although his sister won't go near him due to the vet smell).

That sounds like good news, i.e. Struvite. This is like a kidney stone - a very nasty and sharp accumulation of crystals of urea that block the urethra. Once dissolved, it can be prevented by dietary changes. My little one suffered from it and now eats a special formula food to prevent recurrence. Your biggest problem then is that the special food is enormously tasty, and there will be fights!

Big problem now is the sodding medicine bottle. I'm all for child proofing, but jesus wept...

Edit: In terms of asking for actual 'advice' - how do you get cats to not hate each other after a lengthy vets visit? These two have lived side by side in a strange truce/harmony for nearly 5 years, and now the girl won't be within 10 feet of him without hissing after this...

It'll work out OK. As you noted, it's the vet smell and what seems like a new cat on the territory. Try rubbing a towel over the girl and then the returnee to transfer the 'right' smell. Feliway spray is useful for calming everyone down too.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2016, 10:48:35 am »

This one is weird hates my bird but loves me I'm used to the other way haha.

Tidy your room
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:50 pm »
I want one of them Eurasian Lynxes they're talking about re-introducing to the wild ;D So cute

Mrs is allergic to cats though so it's a no...

She did put up with my last cat for ten years though, even though the cat (had to construct this sentene carefully) was a massive c*nt.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2016, 06:33:15 pm »
Seems to have reblocked, will just have to see what the medicine does as there's no way I can afford to have him in overnight again (and the only option they're putting forward is the catheter again). Hard work this whole owning an animal thing. Starting to fear the worst with this I have to say.

Online Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2016, 08:38:20 pm »
Seems to have reblocked, will just have to see what the medicine does as there's no way I can afford to have him in overnight again (and the only option they're putting forward is the catheter again). Hard work this whole owning an animal thing. Starting to fear the worst with this I have to say.

Fingers crossed for you all
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: July 27, 2016, 07:39:07 pm »
How the fuck do you give a pill to a cat?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #583 on: July 27, 2016, 07:44:18 pm »
How the fuck do you give a pill to a cat?

Tilt it's head back, put it in it's throat , hold mouth closed. That's 1 way , the cat will hate you for it.

The other way is to wrap it in tuna fish, although if you have a smart cat, they'll eat the tuna fish and spit out the pill.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Cat advice thread
« Reply #584 on: July 27, 2016, 07:58:46 pm »
Tilt it's head back, put it in it's throat , hold mouth closed. That's 1 way , the cat will hate you for it.

The other way is to wrap it in tuna fish, although if you have a smart cat, they'll eat the tuna fish and spit out the pill.
Method 1 works

Method 2 failed with every car we've had over the years (4)

Method 2 works with dogs - greedy bastards are dogs - you could hide a fucking bomb in a bun and your dog will swallow it and come for seconds, thirds and fourths

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:27 pm »
Method 1 works

Method 2 failed with every car we've had over the years (4)

Method 2 works with dogs - greedy bastards are dogs - you could hide a fucking bomb in a bun and your dog will swallow it and come for seconds, thirds and fourths

First laugh I've had in a while that one.

I bought a "pill gun" from the vet - because it looked like a fucking miracle when she used it yesterday. I've tried the wrap it in tuna/cheese/catnip and he's got wise to it. The whole tilt his head back and rub his throat doesn't seem to work for me. The pill gun looked like it'd solve everything.

My verdict having used it twice today - anything is easy if you train for 7 years to do it and are good enough to do it professionally...

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #586 on: July 27, 2016, 11:08:56 pm »
First laugh I've had in a while that one.

I bought a "pill gun" from the vet - because it looked like a fucking miracle when she used it yesterday. I've tried the wrap it in tuna/cheese/catnip and he's got wise to it. The whole tilt his head back and rub his throat doesn't seem to work for me. The pill gun looked like it'd solve everything.

My verdict having used it twice today - anything is easy if you train for 7 years to do it and are good enough to do it professionally...
:lmao

Used to be a 2 person job in our house - I hold the cat (with my winter gloves on), missus pops the mouth (if needed cos that cats mouth is wide open at this point) and pops the pill in, then closes and massages the throat.

Trauma all round (except the missus) who is laughing at me gyrating to avoid the felines raking claws

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #587 on: July 27, 2016, 11:36:04 pm »
No matter what method you use, they will still secretly hate you and continue to plot your final overthrow...

However, the best way really does vary depending on the cat.

I've sometimes found crushing the tablet and mixing it in with a bit of catfood can work.

For the more suspicious cat this is useless though, so as a last resort I've found pushing the cat up a sleeve of an old jacket so their head pops out at the end can work.

Once in the sleeve, they can't really get out and then you can flip them on their back without fear of being scratched, open their mouth and then pop the tablet in.

Of course they sometimes go through this harrowing experience, you then release them, and they promptly spit out the tablet a few minutes later and they then advance and bring forward their assassination attempts on you.

That's cats.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #588 on: July 28, 2016, 06:28:45 pm »
No matter what method you use, they will still secretly hate you and continue to plot your final overthrow...

However, the best way really does vary depending on the cat.

I've sometimes found crushing the tablet and mixing it in with a bit of catfood can work.

For the more suspicious cat this is useless though, so as a last resort I've found pushing the cat up a sleeve of an old jacket so their head pops out at the end can work.

Once in the sleeve, they can't really get out and then you can flip them on their back without fear of being scratched, open their mouth and then pop the tablet in.

Of course they sometimes go through this harrowing experience, you then release them, and they promptly spit out the tablet a few minutes later and they then advance and bring forward their assassination attempts on you.

That's cats.

I do something similar but wrap him in a bath towel instead of a jacket, but you still need to follow the fecker around for 5 minutes to make sure he doesn't spit it out on the sly

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #589 on: July 30, 2016, 01:06:33 am »
15 pages and still no advice from cats
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: July 30, 2016, 09:32:23 pm »
Doing my fucking head in this.

He is straining and trying to pee ALL THE TIME now. But every now and again he passes a good amount. Like, when he strains and trys - not even a drop comes out, and he can be doing that for 3 hours at a time. Then he just pops to the toilet usually, has a good piss and it's like normal.

Spoken to the vets and they say that as long as he's still passing something not to bother coming in before my appointment on Monday, which is all well and good - and I also know realistically that he's been like this since Wednesday, and if he was properly blocked again then, well, he'd be dead. But it's easy for them to say as it's driving me (and I'm sure him) fucking insane...

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #591 on: July 30, 2016, 09:45:42 pm »
15 pages and still no advice from cats

Meow

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #592 on: July 31, 2016, 02:41:57 pm »
I do something similar but wrap him in a bath towel instead of a jacket, but you still need to follow the fecker around for 5 minutes to make sure he doesn't spit it out on the sly

We used to wrap the cats in a towel - certainly prevents getting clawed to death and if you stroke them through the towel, it seems to calm them down.

This was for worming tablets, but we've since found a flea injection thingy (looks like a syringe - no needle) that we can apply to the backs of their necks and it includes worming solution too.

Bit less stressful for everyone (But this new formula zonks the smaller cat for a few hours afterwards)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #593 on: July 31, 2016, 03:08:52 pm »
We used to wrap the cats in a towel - certainly prevents getting clawed to death and if you stroke them through the towel, it seems to calm them down.

This was for worming tablets, but we've since found a flea injection thingy (looks like a syringe - no needle) that we can apply to the backs of their necks and it includes worming solution too.

Bit less stressful for everyone (But this new formula zonks the smaller cat for a few hours afterwards)

I've tried that before for fleas and worms, but I always worry that they won't absorb properly and it'll be less effective. Anyhow it's worming night tonight so may give them another go   ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #594 on: July 31, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »
I've tried that before for fleas and worms, but I always worry that they won't absorb properly and it'll be less effective. Anyhow it's worming night tonight so may give them another go   ;D

Offline AnfieldCat

• All Hail the Sworn Enemy of WoodisonDog!
  • Kopite
« Reply #595 on: July 31, 2016, 07:07:22 pm »
Our cat is on Fortekor for heart problems, when the vet prescribed the daily pill I thought there was no way in hell he would take it but he actually purrs and meows for it, he thinks its a treat. He gets as excited for it as he does Dreamies.

Online Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
« Reply #596 on: July 31, 2016, 07:33:05 pm »
Our cat is on Fortekor for heart problems, when the vet prescribed the daily pill I thought there was no way in hell he would take it but he actually purrs and meows for it, he thinks its a treat. He gets as excited for it as he does Dreamies.

I wish.....Husband was on towel duty, while I was giving him the tablets. Husband "there's blood everywhere, he must have bitten his tongue", me: "Err actually it's mine" - hands ribboned as per usual - it's the bloody drops next time, and I still haven't managed to get his new flea collar on!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:35:20 pm by Mag Hull »

Online Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: August 1, 2016, 09:33:32 am »
Millie had her little op on last week and has been such a trooper. She's just getting on with things, but it's really frustrating to watch her try and scratch herself or groom herself as the cone is getting in the way.

Maxi, the slightly older cat, has been really protective of her. Where they would normally playfight a lot, he has been really calm around her and will help her groom and just lie with her. If we give them treats, we give Millie a little bit less, mainly so they both finish their treats around the same time so there is no fighting. I gave them a couple of this morning, and whereas Maxi would guzzle his and then make a move for Millie's, he has left some of his and just stood by his bowl until she has finished, then let her finish his. I'm not sure if that is intentional or not, or he's just not hungry but it feels like he is trying to help her/cheer her up.

She's just sleeping a lot but the wound looks really nice and tidy, and looks to be healing quite quickly. They said 10 days for the cone, but hopefully it won't be that long!

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: August 1, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »
Millie looks great. Nice and fashionable cone aswell.

Not good news with Daisy I'm afraid. He's been in and out and isn't getting any better. The vets have had to express his bladder daily. He's been given one final treatment (a tablet that they usually don't prescribe to cats as it is too strong), if this doesn't work then I have agreed that we will put him to sleep on Wednesday. I'm sure everyone in here understands how fucking shit this is.