Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 322759 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #400 on: January 9, 2023, 04:59:58 pm »
I've been away from the keyboard since the game... Dafuk am I reading here?!...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #401 on: January 9, 2023, 06:46:13 pm »
I've been away from the keyboard since the game... Dafuk am I reading here?!...
I'm flabbergasted - the amount of drivel spouted by some here is unreal.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #402 on: January 9, 2023, 07:10:34 pm »
Probably shouldn’t have started yesterday, obviously can’t judge him on it but didn’t really see anything from him that suggests it was a signing we needed to make.

:duh
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: January 9, 2023, 09:08:12 pm »
:duh
Nothing against Gakpo, he may well turn out to be a great player. I’m just sure most people thought we needed to strengthen midfield instead.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: January 9, 2023, 09:09:01 pm »
Nothing against Gakpo, he may well turn out to be a great player. I’m just sure most people thought we needed to strengthen midfield instead.
Not "instead", "both".

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: January 9, 2023, 09:12:11 pm »

Gakpo more than held his own in a decent World Cup for the Netherlands.

Suarez hardly looked anything special in his first few games 😂

Nah. Suarez was obviously world class quality from his first game.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: January 9, 2023, 09:15:01 pm »
Not "instead", "both".
‘Both’ is not going to happen tho.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: January 9, 2023, 09:19:45 pm »
Nah. Suarez was obviously world class quality from his first game.
Yeh there's been myths about his first half season that have reemerged this season to fit various narratives (inc Nunez's signing) - anything that states that he wasn't very obviously a high class player pretty much immediately is revisionist

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: January 9, 2023, 09:20:15 pm »
‘Both’ is not going to happen tho.
What I meant is that one does not prohibit the other. Whether we are to buy a midfielder or wait for ours to recover and "keep our powder dry" for the summer is a decision that has nothing to do with Gakpo. We went for him because we ALSO wanted an attacking thread. It's not like we had money for one, done it, and now the entire recruiting team is kicking their feet up in the Caribbean somewhere.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: January 9, 2023, 09:23:00 pm »
I always remember watching Suarez goals before he joined us, YT compilations were all the rage back then..swear to god there had never been a better compilation of goals for a 23/24 year old. I was thinking how the fuck have we signed this guy and nobody else went for him. It wasn't even the level of opposition, he was just scoring unbelievable goals regardless of opposition.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #410 on: January 9, 2023, 10:40:02 pm »
I always remember watching Suarez goals before he joined us, YT compilations were all the rage back then..swear to god there had never been a better compilation of goals for a 23/24 year old. I was thinking how the fuck have we signed this guy and nobody else went for him. It wasn't even the level of opposition, he was just scoring unbelievable goals regardless of opposition.

Did we ever find out what that catch was?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #411 on: January 9, 2023, 10:44:09 pm »
Something to do with biting someone I seem to remember ….

Suarez started slowly for us too though
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: January 9, 2023, 11:09:02 pm »
Yeh there's been myths about his first half season that have reemerged this season to fit various narratives (inc Nunez's signing) - anything that states that he wasn't very obviously a high class player pretty much immediately is revisionist

The narrative around Suarez first half season is that he was an erratic finisher and a wonderful player . That's entirely factual. 13 league games and 4 goals if Google serves correctly. Comparisons to Nunez are very valid in the finishing dept. Of course Suarez was a superior all rounder. But only a handful of players in history have made that level.

Gapko has played one game so Comparisons to anyone are utter nonsense.  Alison is shite based on the last game.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: January 9, 2023, 11:35:00 pm »
Something to do with biting someone I seem to remember ….

Suarez started slowly for us too though
In terms of goals, yes. Performances? No. He destroyed United in his first season when Dirk scored his 3-yard hattrick.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #414 on: January 9, 2023, 11:40:48 pm »
Are people already going to town on Gakpo after two training sessions and one game with us? Sweet divine Jeebus.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: January 9, 2023, 11:41:08 pm »

Gakpo more than held his own in a decent World Cup for the Netherlands.

Suarez hardly looked anything special in his first few games 😂

Not sure you understood. I said can't expect players to come into a side that's playing this poorly and make us look good. People need to not jump to conclusions on that debut from Gakpo, wait til he settles to make an assessment. Suarez was also clearly a level above what we had from the outset even though it took half a season before he became one of the best players in the league.

I don't really care about how he did at the world cup. There are tons of players who impress for a tournament and never reach that level again, and I don't think he was a standout performer. His numbers at PSV last 18 months were more impressive than his world cup anyway. I trust Klopp so I'd be surprised if he doesn't do well for us long-term.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 9, 2023, 11:52:13 pm »
The narrative around Suarez first half season is that he was an erratic finisher and a wonderful player . That's entirely factual. 13 league games and 4 goals if Google serves correctly. Comparisons to Nunez are very valid in the finishing dept. Of course Suarez was a superior all rounder. But only a handful of players in history have made that level.quote]Yep, that bold part was my point exactly - if you follow the replies back it was suggested that he didn't look special early on (and I remember similar in the Nunez thread

Not the most pertinent, but I'd disagree there's valid comparisons in finishing deparment (except that they both are on the end of, and also fashion, a very large number of opportunities. Suarez's had much more in his locker in terms of finishing (and no shame in that, it's true of most forwards ever)

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: January 10, 2023, 11:14:35 am »
He is not another Luiz but he offers different qualities. I was happy he was signed especially when Luiz went for his operation. He will most likely be a good signing, I feel.

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #418 on: January 14, 2023, 04:32:18 pm »
He’s probably wondering what the hell he’s walked into, frankly

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: January 14, 2023, 04:33:38 pm »
Was literally about to post the same.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #420 on: January 14, 2023, 04:33:40 pm »
And we’re probably wondering what the hell we’ve bought.

He doesn’t look like he offers anything more than AOC does up front, and that’s not a lot.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: January 14, 2023, 04:35:22 pm »

He doesn’t look like he offers anything more than AOC does up front, and that’s not a lot.

Oh FFS  :butt
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #422 on: January 14, 2023, 04:36:39 pm »

Nope, like Nunez he’s walked into this team as the worst possible time

He’s shown enough promise for me already to prove he’ll be a useful addition for us

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: January 14, 2023, 05:17:04 pm »
I sure do not get it. Hope he has more in his locker than he has shown thus far.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #424 on: January 14, 2023, 05:18:29 pm »
I sure do not get it. Hope he has more in his locker than he has shown thus far.

He’s playing in a team with virtually no midfield other than Thiago, you put almost anyone there and there’s gonna look second best.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: January 14, 2023, 05:19:17 pm »

His second game in a side that's to put it mildly struggling to fuck.

Was he behind Ox when he powered that header into the keepers arms or was that Robbo ?  (more than likely Thiago)
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2023, 05:23:56 pm »
Not gonna judge his quality/ability yet as he's been parachuted into one of the worst form sides in the league, but one thing I wasn't impressed by today was his effort at times. OK yes we we're punting balls in his vague direction which is not exactly prime service, but I counted at least 3 occasions where he just didn't seem to properly run for them when he 100% could have got to them had he bust a gut. He got outpaced to a ball by the Brighton GK at one point FFS.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2023, 05:24:38 pm »
I’m sure given the circumstsances you can spare him.. new league, barely been here 5 minutes, part of a severely depleted team that is woefully out of form.. all those considered how about you wait before you form an opinion
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2023, 05:26:29 pm »
Felt sorry for him. Having to deal with shit passes all day.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2023, 05:46:56 pm »
Felt sorry for him today, no service and when he beat his man to cross there was absolutely no one there.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2023, 06:21:15 pm »
Showed a couple flashes today. Looking forward to seeing him play his best position. When he beats the defender to the byline for a pull back around 70. Cuts inside and put in a nice ball a bit later. Clearly not a centre forward though. And it should highlight, in particular for Nunez, just how much of a difficult skill running in behind and doing it well is.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2023, 06:22:43 pm »
Can't even judge him yet.

I like his shooting technique. He will score goals.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: January 14, 2023, 06:25:12 pm »
Fucking hell, a couple of the comments in here. Should probably bookmark them for a later date to highlight the idiocy!

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2023, 06:26:59 pm »
I don't even think it's worth making comments on specific moments for him yet. Unless he scores 10 goals by the end of the season, I'm probably not even going to notice we've signed him until the fall. Plenty of other shit to worry about.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: January 14, 2023, 06:31:23 pm »
F*cking hell, give the lad a chance will you.  :butt
'
He has walked into a shit show and everyone expects him to be the hero since we bought him and not a midfielder (I know, it's not that simple).

Let's see how he performs when we have more players fit.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #435 on: January 14, 2023, 06:33:51 pm »
I don't even think it's worth making comments on specific moments for him yet. Unless he scores 10 goals by the end of the season, I'm probably not even going to notice we've signed him until the fall. Plenty of other shit to worry about.

The lad has walked into a shitshow. He must be wondering what the fuck.

I'd swap him for an athletic midfielder though.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #436 on: January 14, 2023, 06:37:37 pm »
The lad has walked into a shitshow. He must be wondering what the fuck.

I'd swap him for an athletic midfielder though.
Yeah. Gakpo could be good, but he just doesnt feel like what we desperately need, that is pace and mobility. If we face a low block he could have the keys, but against a high press he needs to be used differently IMO

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #437 on: January 14, 2023, 06:39:24 pm »
There's fellas on this threat i'd say who have seen Gakpo maybe 10 + times  before he joined us and their opinion is they don't rate him . I think it's fair enough to respect their opinion ? If you have only seen him for Liverpool and you are saying you don't rate him
well I don't respect your opinion. And If you have seen him 10 times before he joined us and you do rate him , I respect your opinion . But there's lads on here that have barely seen him play and keep saying " Give the lad a chance " to people who have seen him play loads . I don't respect their opinion . Now I'd love to be wrong but I don't think he is a good signing . My only hope for him is if we switch to 4-2-3-1 permanently and he gets play no. 10 . Now I know he has walked into a shit show and I get that . But Iv seen enough of him pre Liverpool  that I don't think I'm
wrong , unfortunately .
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #438 on: January 14, 2023, 06:42:54 pm »
Nunez shows up in the same broken team and is able to keep shooting at the same level as he was at Benfica. Now it's early days for Gakpo here but the signs aren't great, averaging 4 shots per 90 at PSV and he's had one per game so far here.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: January 14, 2023, 06:43:34 pm »
Think he is calling his buddy Virgil tonight asking him where is the Liverpool team he was expecting to play with. Poor lad must be scratching his head wondering who did he sign for?
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I