Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 597800 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #6200 on: April 14, 2024, 05:18:31 pm »
That was a shocker of a miss. Has been very poor since he came back. Hopefully, he can find his pre-injury form.
Of course he will. But it’s not a switch, you can’t switch it on and off.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6201 on: April 14, 2024, 05:19:19 pm »
I didn’t think Jones was that bad either.

There’s a camp of supporters with him that watch every aspect of his game through the prism of he’s shite, not good enough and only plays because he’s scouse. I try and stay off Twitter for Liverpool fan opinions but I’ve had a few screenshots sent to me by mates of other clubs and it’s embarrassing some of the shite people are saying about him.

He’s had a top 12 months and established himself as a reliable first team starter. The injuries are killing his development as every time he gets going he gets another injury. We all know how that turned out for Keita, like Keita he too takes a run of games to fully find his feet. The stat knocking around about Quansah being second only to Trent when it comes to minutes played by an academy player under Klopp in a season is mental considering Jones has been around the first team for 5-6 years now. Injuries are the only reason that stat exists.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6202 on: April 14, 2024, 05:20:41 pm »
He’s paid enough money to get over it and at an elite level he needs to bury that or have the brains to square it. He reverted to how he was pre last ten games last season today. Hopefully he can shake it off.

The chances are if he'd had that chance a couple of games down the road he would have put it in. Or maybe if it had been in an away game where is there less pressure/expectation from the crowd. He's need to get up to speed and it doesn't happen instantly, you only had to watch Trent today to see that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6203 on: April 14, 2024, 05:23:43 pm »
It's one chance, we didn't lose that game because a midfielder missed a shot.

He's a really good player but he doesn't really seem to get any leeway even when coming back from injury, he either players flawless or he gets stick.

I do think he's been brought back into the team a bit too quickly after a long lay off though, Gravenberch could surely have started against Atalanta for example.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6204 on: April 14, 2024, 05:31:18 pm »
He’s paid enough money to get over it

:D

Just because he's paid money, it means his emotions are turned off automatically?
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6205 on: April 14, 2024, 05:34:06 pm »

Jones is a player who needs a run of games to regain his rhythm after an injury, some players get back into game mode immediately, he’s not one of them, will produce better form towards the final few games, the miss was poor, he didn’t even hit the target which is most frustrating but half the team missed decent chances today

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #6206 on: April 14, 2024, 06:07:21 pm »
He’s been brilliant this season, gutted that his injury came when it did and now trying to get up to speed when we’re playing crap. Bad miss, but not sure I’d be particularly confident with any of our players in that position right now

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6207 on: April 14, 2024, 06:10:00 pm »
Don’t know why he tried to put it into the top corner instead of just sliding it past the keeper.. there was so much open goal to aim at. Similar to Diaz vs City.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6208 on: April 14, 2024, 06:15:19 pm »
I find it interesting that people are talking about him "lingering" on the ball, because him being so comfortable in possession is what I would say is one of his biggest strengths and one of the reasons why last season's Liverpool were able to improve and one of the reasons why this season's Liverpool have been able to build up to this point. If anything, my main concern with his performance this afternoon was that he did not settle down and was too rushed in his decision making when he was on the ball.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6209 on: April 14, 2024, 06:18:50 pm »
Keeps hold of the ball for too long and misses a sitter.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6210 on: April 14, 2024, 06:24:53 pm »
He’s just come back from a shite injury and is lacking sharpness, don’t really understand the over the top criticism.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6211 on: April 14, 2024, 06:25:59 pm »
Keeps hold of the ball for too long and misses a sitter.
?been our best midfielder for a year.  Been out injured, needs to get rhythm.
But most of all, he’s a human being
. . 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #6212 on: April 14, 2024, 06:29:52 pm »
Hope he can get past that miss. No doubt, it will be keeping him up tonight.

Yeah..poor Curtis..fuck me

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #6213 on: April 14, 2024, 06:31:00 pm »
He’s just come back from a shite injury and is lacking sharpness, don’t really understand the over the top criticism.

It's the fact he's allowed to escape criticism. If we can praise him when he's great.

We can criticise him when he's crap.

Like Endo and Dom today

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6214 on: April 14, 2024, 06:33:41 pm »
He’s been brilliant this season, gutted that his injury came when it did and now trying to get up to speed when we’re playing crap. Bad miss, but not sure I’d be particularly confident with any of our players in that position right now
Yep, Diaz did exactly the same v City.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6215 on: April 14, 2024, 06:36:24 pm »
Last few games of the season will prob see us return to a box midfield with Trent as inverted fullback. Jones thrived in this system at the end of last season.

In posession:

Alisson

Konate
Virgil
Robbo

Trent
Mac

Jones
Szobo

Salah
Nunez
Diaz

Out of posession

Ali

Trent
Konate
Virgil
Robbo

Szobo
Mac
Jones

Diaz
Nunez
Salah
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6216 on: April 14, 2024, 06:38:22 pm »
It's the fact he's allowed to escape criticism. If we can praise him when he's great.

Like Endo and Dom today

The criticism of Jones is wild though. Totally OTT. Called a bottler in the match thread. People saying he's only in the team because he's a scouser. Just the worst recency bias.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6217 on: April 14, 2024, 06:57:27 pm »
This is what I meant by I didn't think he did that bad, he was the only player pressing, which is you know the foundation our defending is based on..

"I think Curtis [Jones] was really going for it, following through, stuff like that, besides that the first line were a bit too far away from each other, no real impulse. Macca [Alexis Mac Allister] and Wataru, maybe normal, didn't really follow in as well and the last line was too deep as well."
"I would say Curtis today was really good"

Klopp

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6218 on: April 14, 2024, 07:02:26 pm »
It's one chance, we didn't lose that game because a midfielder missed a shot.

He's a really good player but he doesn't really seem to get any leeway even when coming back from injury, he either players flawless or he gets stick.

Did you ever really think he was going to score though? I didn't. Not only because he was having such a poor day on the ball, but he always lacks decisive impact around both boxes, and to a lesser extent tangible impact on matches in general. He's a lovely modern footballer (converted wide man into midfield, nice touch, comfortable when being pressed etc) and a useful squad player to have - but if he's "brilliant" or any phrase like that as so many of our fans continually label him then our standards have massively dropped.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6219 on: April 14, 2024, 07:05:04 pm »
Did you ever really think he was going to score though? I didn't. Not only because he was having such a poor day on the ball, but he always lacks decisive impact around both boxes, and to a lesser extent tangible impact on matches in general. He's a lovely modern footballer (converted wide man into midfield, nice touch, comfortable when being pressed etc) and a useful squad player to have - but if he's "brilliant" or any phrase like that as so many of our fans continually label him then our standards have massively dropped.

Eh? Jones has scored some lovely goals coming in at the back post, first time finishes a forward would be proud of.

I find it pretty poor anyone is criticising his finishing, our forwards were gash again, they need to be better, not the central midfielder who is just back from injury.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6220 on: April 14, 2024, 07:15:00 pm »
Eh? Jones has scored some lovely goals coming in at the back post, first time finishes a forward would be proud of.

I find it pretty poor anyone is criticising his finishing, our forwards were gash again, they need to be better, not the central midfielder who is just back from injury.

He ghosts in well at times yes, but for a player who banged them in at youth level, he lacks serious conviction when asked to generate a strike himself.

He's scored 7 goals in 83 league games, I don't think it's unreasonable to be asking for much better output than that for a player who has often played as our fourth most attacking player on the pitch.

If you compare that to the guy in my username who I would say Jones has naturally replaced in the squad over the years as our technical link guy - Lallana scored 17 in 88 in his first three seasons before injury ruined him. Yet he was accused of a lack of output as well, understandably so at times, because those numbers were not exactly spectacular and he could be guilty of taking the easy option rather than trying to play someone too often.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 07:17:41 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6221 on: April 14, 2024, 07:17:53 pm »
Surprised he started given he was hauled off at half time the other night. Too many players rusty at the moment.

That miss today was such a killer though. He scores that we probably go on and win the game. It's going to haunt us that. Has to score.

We constantly fuck up those breakaways that were always our trademark.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6222 on: April 14, 2024, 07:21:30 pm »

It’s easy for us to say he shouldn’t have started, hindsight is always 20-20

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6223 on: April 14, 2024, 07:23:35 pm »

He doesn't take many shots but he's quite effective when he does, so yes I thought he'd score.
He ghosts in well at times yes, but for a player who banged them in at youth level, he lacks serious conviction when asked to generate a strike himself.

He's scored 7 goals in 83 league games, I don't think it's unreasonable to be asking for much better output than that for a player who has often played as our fourth most attacking player on the pitch.

If you compare that to the guy in my username who I would say Jones has naturally replaced in the squad over the years as our technical link guy - Lallana scored 17 in 88 in his first three seasons before injury ruined him. Yet he was accused of a lack of output as well, understandably so at times, because those numbers were not exactly spectacular and he could be guilty of taking the easy option rather than trying to play someone too often.

This significantly misunderstands what Jones is asked to do on a football pitch for us. He's much closer to Gini than you're giving him credit for here. He's a lot like Thiago was for us (they both play the majority of their football from the left sided 8 position) and, whilst Jones' passing is nowhere near as incisive as Thiago's (he can join 99.9% of other midfielders in that), he's often got a 'controlling 8' brief. So no, Jones has rarely been the 4th most attacking player on the pitch for us. If you want to assess his output (goals and assists) compare him with Thiago and Gini. Well done though, you're no longer calling him a bottler so your posts about him have improved.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6224 on: April 14, 2024, 07:24:54 pm »
This is what I meant by I didn't think he did that bad, he was the only player pressing, which is you know the foundation our defending is based on..

"I think Curtis [Jones] was really going for it, following through, stuff like that, besides that the first line were a bit too far away from each other, no real impulse. Macca [Alexis Mac Allister] and Wataru, maybe normal, didn't really follow in as well and the last line was too deep as well."
"I would say Curtis today was really good"

Klopp

This.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6225 on: April 14, 2024, 07:34:06 pm »
Surprised he started given he was hauled off at half time the other night. Too many players rusty at the moment.

That miss today was such a killer though. He scores that we probably go on and win the game. It's going to haunt us that. Has to score.

We constantly fuck up those breakaways that were always our trademark.

Diaz v City, Curtis today 2 huge moments.  We’ve had not a lot of change from these huge moments, even Trent v Arsenal.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6226 on: April 14, 2024, 07:42:55 pm »
Decent as a back-up/squad option, especially for the English quotas for Europe. Although he has a similar player profile to Wijnaldum he doesn't have that quality, unfortunately.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6227 on: April 14, 2024, 07:44:21 pm »
Decent as a back-up/squad option, especially for the English quotas for Europe. Although he has a similar player profile to Wijnaldum he doesn't have that quality, unfortunately.

I’ve always said, he’s a great squad player and can have periods where he is excellent. However if he was playing for another team, would we ever bid for him?

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6228 on: April 14, 2024, 07:52:43 pm »
I’ve always said, he’s a great squad player and can have periods where he is excellent. However if he was playing for another team, would we ever bid for him?

There will be some hot takes about who we should and shouldn't keep over the summer. I'd probably keep him on the basis the squad isn't that deep in the middle of the park, and the quota rules. He's a step down in quality from the 18-20 & 21/22 midfields but he's not poor.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #6229 on: April 14, 2024, 07:52:44 pm »
Just watched the highlights. Definitely the worst miss of the bunch.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6230 on: April 14, 2024, 09:02:27 pm »

Like Endo and Dom today
Yeah, but there’s a huge range between a rusty player trying to get back into trophy nick and throwing him under the bus as ‘he’s only in the team because he’s a scouser’.

We’ve had a touch of the yips.  Mostly because winning stuff is really really hard.

But he’s the future, and we should be happy with that
W

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6231 on: April 14, 2024, 09:05:54 pm »

Defining moment. A minute earlier Ali pulls off a miracle save at point blank range, we go up the other end and score and it turns the game on its head and our luck is in. Instead it drained whatever belief was left when he spooned it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Cozzymoto

• Main Stander
« Reply #6232 on: April 14, 2024, 09:10:20 pm »
Yeah, but there’s a huge range between a rusty player trying to get back into trophy nick and throwing him under the bus as ‘he’s only in the team because he’s a scouser’.

We’ve had a touch of the yips.  Mostly because winning stuff is really really hard.

But he’s the future, and we should be happy with that

He’s not the future really. Squad player at best, and I won’t be surprised if he will eventually look for more playing time. He’s not Klopps first choice, and I’m one of those that do like him, but he won’t be when the next manager comes in.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6233 on: April 14, 2024, 09:11:38 pm »

It wasn’t just the worst miss it was that he had Salah screaming for it next to him. Know it sounds awful but he’d been missing so many soft passes and making daft fouls etc when it got slid through and I saw it was him I literally lost most hope.

To be completely fair though we can rip shreds out of the majority of them the last couple of games, just got to hope they can all turn it around and get out of this dip. Atalanta feels like almost a free hit now so fingers crossed that alleviates some pressure and they can get it back.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6234 on: April 14, 2024, 09:47:37 pm »
He’s not the future really. Squad player at best, and I won’t be surprised if he will eventually look for more playing time. He’s not Klopps first choice, and I’m one of those that do like him, but he won’t be when the next manager comes in.
unutterable garbage this opinion. Sorry.
W

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6235 on: April 14, 2024, 09:52:30 pm »
Before injury he’d been one of our players of the first part of the season and had definitely become first choice. He’s been injured for a couple of months and come back into the team looking rusty just as they’ve all collectively fallen off a cliff.

What is it about posters who write off players Liverpool careers after a couple of iffy performances (every player, not just Curtis), no one is safe or given any leeway anymore. It’s a pathetic way to support
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6236 on: April 14, 2024, 10:04:20 pm »
I try and stay off Twitter for Liverpool fan opinions but I’ve had a few screenshots sent to me by mates of other clubs

Tell your mates to give their head a wobble if they're screenshotting Twitter as if the opinions there make any difference to anything in the real world.

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #6237 on: April 14, 2024, 10:14:44 pm »

Hahahahahahaha....   

The poster who was intimating that Jones is immune from criticism clearly is a first time RAWK reader.  This kind of asinine take is littered throughout the CJ thread. 

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6238 on: April 14, 2024, 10:20:47 pm »
Jones has been pretty consistently first choice since he returned from injury last season.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6239 on: April 14, 2024, 10:23:04 pm »
He’s class but we look out of sorts and he’s trying to refind form after a long lay off

The miss was really poor and I think it typified the teams performance. Do feel he was hung out to dry a little today, pressed well and looked up to see zero support in the press which allowed an easy escape from Palace