Author Topic: Far Cry 4 - Release Date: November 21st  (Read 9680 times)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Far Cry 4 - Release Date: November 21st
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 07:52:02 pm »
Can't wait to get this. Last one was one of my favourites of last gen.

I have Shadow of Mordor to play till then. Only played about 20 minutes but it hasn't grabbed me yet. Anybody else played that?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 07:56:36 pm »
Can't wait to get this. Last one was one of my favourites of last gen.

I have Shadow of Mordor to play till then. Only played about 20 minutes but it hasn't grabbed me yet. Anybody else played that?

It really cracks on very soon. When you get the full freedom and the exploration to take on key figures of the Orc army, it becomes really fun.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:27 am »
Got this yesterday and spent a couple hours on it last night. Very impressed!

Almost identical in format to Far Cry 3, but personally that doesn't bother me because why would they change an already very effective formula? This is the first Far Cry game since, so it's not as if they're churning games out every year like COD etc.

Anyone tried out the co-op yet? Can you invite a friend in to take down the big fortresses on your single player, or are the co-op missions stand-alone?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2014, 05:35:15 pm »
I see Uplay is good as ever, i had no idea what the release  date was for this so i ordered it and downloaded it, tried to install it about 5 times without success, it kept trying to install but then just wouldn't

turns out  it's because it's not actually out yet, not even a message to say why it wasn't installing, just looked like the install was crashing

brilliant, it's a wonder everyone doesn't love uplay
STFU and agree with me.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:42 pm »
I see Uplay is good as ever, i had no idea what the release  date was for this so i ordered it and downloaded it, tried to install it about 5 times without success, it kept trying to install but then just wouldn't

turns out  it's because it's not actually out yet, not even a message to say why it wasn't installing, just looked like the install was crashing

brilliant, it's a wonder everyone doesn't love uplay

To be fair, Steam is not that much better in terms of giving you information when a game is unlocked. If you're lucky you'll get that countdown on the shop-page of the game until you can play it, but quite a lot of the time it's just a date and the game just unlocks at an unknown time that day. I was pleasantly surprised when I preloaded Dragon Age Inquisition on Origin and it said that the game unlocks on the 20th at 0 o'clock...

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2014, 06:51:35 pm »
steam preloads generally sit with the preload status message displaying, letting you know it's not ready to play

if it's not there it tells you this game will unlock in....
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2014, 10:43:32 am »
No-one else on here playing this on PS4/XB1?

Really enjoying it so far  :)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2014, 10:48:42 am »
No-one else on here playing this on PS4/XB1?

Really enjoying it so far  :)

Mine arrived this morning for PS4, can't wait to get home from work and give it a go. First Far Cry I'll ever play.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 10:53:08 am »
Mine arrived this morning for PS4, can't wait to get home from work and give it a go. First Far Cry I'll ever play.

It's superb mate, you're in for a real treat if this is the first one you've played.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 04:39:19 pm »
The rhinos don't half take some shooting!  :o
XBL: Flash6289

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2014, 05:00:02 pm »
From what I remember FC3 never had bait. It's an excellent addition, caused some chaos last night when a tiger took out half the guys in an outpost for me.

And the rhinos are ridiculous, like bullet-sponges! Had one of those last night knock an enemy jeep spinning off the side of a cliff, one of the better moments I've seen so far.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:28 pm »
From what I remember FC3 never had bait. It's an excellent addition, caused some chaos last night when a tiger took out half the guys in an outpost for me.
How did you do the first outpost with the caged elephant and the dead one? I had to stealth it as I couldn't find a way to release the elephant without a sniper rifle to shoot the lock. Really wanted to see the elephant rampaging. :(

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 06:38:07 pm »
Don't think you have to shoot the lock. In the prologue, I got past an enemy base with one bullet from an AK47 in the general vicinity of the tiger cage. It was enough to break the cage and he got out to give me a distraction.

Bait is excellent for sure. Wonder if game has mines? Because you could mine an area, throw bait there, and try to get some of the bigger animals like that?
I molotov'd a tiger in a cage and only got damaged skin from skinning it. Likely the same outcome with grenades/mines.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 09:23:16 am »
How did you do the first outpost with the caged elephant and the dead one? I had to stealth it as I couldn't find a way to release the elephant without a sniper rifle to shoot the lock. Really wanted to see the elephant rampaging. :(

Yeah I did that one stealthy to. Haven't tried it yet but throwing a rock might be enough to set elephants, rhinos etc. rampaging. I know a well placed arrow in the arse defo does  ;)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:22 pm »
i preloaded the game, went to unlock it

now i have a 32gb patch to download

brilliant
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Jamie LFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 10:45:17 am »
Having a blast with this. It's pretty much FC3 but a lot more refined with some cool new features. I managed to take out two rhinos last night whilst riding on the back of an elephant and shooting at them with a rocket launcher! I think I've spent about 12 hours on it and I've done maybe 6-7 of the story missions. It's also quite impressive how dense some of the foliage is on the PS4 version too, it really adds to the scale of it.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2014, 08:09:54 pm »
Everyone should ride an elephant into an enemy outpost at least once. Preferably with an RPG in hand.  ;D

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2014, 02:38:34 am »
this is great, loving the throwing bait at enemies then the bear comes out looking for the meat and takes them out ;D

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2014, 08:10:01 pm »
Oh not more wired druggy missions. Ubisoft are obsessed. Class game tho I love doing the outposts and the view points
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2014, 10:00:18 pm »
I don't think they should put the outposts in the map until you find them. They should be fogged like the rest of the map.

That would make finding them harder and more rewarding etc

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2014, 02:04:44 am »
Looking forward to putting in a few hours tonight.

With 3 I just went on an outpost and view points romp way early in the game. Made everything easy to be honest. Weapons were unlocked early and I was minted.

I'm a bit bored of the towers as they're exactly the same as the ones in Far Cry 3, so far I've been using a helicopter to just land on the top floor of each one and hit the switch.

The game seems to stall a lot while travelling around the island, which is particularly infuriating when I'm trying to chase down a vehicle or do a drive-by. The side missions and 'pop-ups' are a bit much as well, I can't seem to travel 5 feet without triggering something or other. I also can't seem to hunt animals or stealth around an outpost without a sodding tiger showing up every single time, the game doesn't feel as balanced as the last one.

I'll probably play it a bit more but I'm not as into it as the last one so far.

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:06 am »
Aren't they revealed when you unlock a tower?

Sorry I meant towers.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2014, 09:15:07 am »
I'm a bit bored of the towers as they're exactly the same as the ones in Far Cry 3, so far I've been using a helicopter to just land on the top floor of each one and hit the switch.

The game seems to stall a lot while travelling around the island, which is particularly infuriating when I'm trying to chase down a vehicle or do a drive-by. The side missions and 'pop-ups' are a bit much as well, I can't seem to travel 5 feet without triggering something or other. I also can't seem to hunt animals or stealth around an outpost without a sodding tiger showing up every single time, the game doesn't feel as balanced as the last one.

What system you playing on out of interest? I'm on PS4 and it's been sound so far, apart from the odd 'Ubisoft-type' bug which can actually be quite funny.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far, about half way through the campaign mission, outposts, radio towers etc. and feels like I've been playing for ages!

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »
What system you playing on out of interest? I'm on PS4 and it's been sound so far, apart from the odd 'Ubisoft-type' bug which can actually be quite funny.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far, about half way through the campaign mission, outposts, radio towers etc. and feels like I've been playing for ages!

PC, which Ubisoft always seems to neglect. It's still fun when things go right, and some of the additions are pretty cool, it just feels about like they've gone down the Assassins Creed route of packing it with the same tried and tested content and focusing on the consoles.

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:36 pm »

Pisses me off no end when you spend ages scouting out a camp, sussing out where all the guards are and then some bastard tiger or wolf pops up and either kills you, or you have to shoot it and alert the camp.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2014, 09:45:21 am »
PC, which Ubisoft always seems to neglect. It's still fun when things go right, and some of the additions are pretty cool, it just feels about like they've gone down the Assassins Creed route of packing it with the same tried and tested content and focusing on the consoles.

Yeah I've read on a few forums/websites that the PC version has some teething issues.

It can be annoying when you're in the middle of scoping out an outpost and you get attacked, so just constantly be on the lookout. Whenever I see a predator I just sprint to the other side of the camp and attack it from that side. And with the random events, generally ignore most of them unless they're literally right in front of me.

Attempted a 'medium' outpost on this for the first time last night. Don't get me wrong, was just about to turn the console off so didn't scope it out before hand, but there's a definite step up in difficulty from the 'easy' outposts. Set an alarm off and the reinforcements were too much so ended up running away. Then, as I was running down the hill I had mortar rounds landing just behind me, brutal stuff.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2014, 10:18:04 am »
I love it. I play PC. It doesnt like crossfired ATI cards so I have to disable crossfire but the 4Gb single card works just as well on ultra. Last night I spent hours climbing to get to a location and kept falling off the ledge. So i got a microlight. Job done. Riing the elephant into an enemy camp is a hoot. As is taking the micro light as high as it will go before going pop, exiting and wingsuiting into a lake/river etc.

Ive managed to clear even the very hard outposts undetected. Just need patience and take out the alarms 1st.

I love the microlight. And the nade launcher. Makes intercepting those trucks and convoys a doddle.

I have no quibbles with the game. Its ace.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2014, 07:10:03 pm »
Pisses me off no end when you spend ages scouting out a camp, sussing out where all the guards are and then some bastard tiger or wolf pops up and either kills you, or you have to shoot it and alert the camp.
I dont recall it happening that often in FC3 but yeah theyve cranked up the difficulty in FC4 and thats one of main examples. Even early towers have sharp shooters placed near the top and they basically headshot you when approach in the little helicopter thing. Love this game. Also can you imagine Far Cry 5 being set in like a moody Jurassic world? Would be a proper boss game.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:39:24 pm by tray fenny »
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2014, 02:44:47 pm »
I fucking love this game.

Offline Wlleiotl

• Main Stander
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2014, 03:59:40 pm »

this happened to me the other day, except it was a honey badger. vicious little fuckers they are

Offline matlfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #71 on: December 1, 2014, 02:02:48 pm »
Awesome game. Honey badgers are shitbags
They mostly come out at night, mostly.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #72 on: December 1, 2014, 04:08:13 pm »
Awesome game. Honey badgers are shitbags
Dholes are assholes! There's like five of them on you at one time compared to the lone Honey Badger! ;D

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #73 on: December 4, 2014, 02:13:00 pm »
Ive got in the habit of placing a perimeter of mines behind me when doing the camps. Or I make liberal use of the M79. Nading bears is funny. M79 as sidearm is handy when on microlight and blasting weapons convoys and other assorted villians.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 4, 2014, 03:19:43 pm »
Ive got in the habit of placing a perimeter of mines behind me when doing the camps. Or I make liberal use of the M79. Nading bears is funny. M79 as sidearm is handy when on microlight and blasting weapons convoys and other assorted villians.

Yeah I did that a lot on FC3 but haven't so much on this one. The M79 is very useful to have, I chose it over the Skorpian smg because explosives are so important.

My four weapons more often than not are:

M79
STG-90
Bow
Sniper Rifle

For a while I couldn't be arsed with the bow, but with explosive/fire arrows it's very useful. Plus I find it's the best weapon for killing predators when they're preparing to attack you. Was using a silenced sniper rifle but wasn't keen to be honest, I much prefer it un-silenced. Also another reason I have the bow as it's my only silenced weapon!

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #75 on: December 4, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »
Mine are:
M79
Warrior (Signature AK-47)
Shredder (Signature 2-handed SMG)
Silenced Sniper

Been doing all the side stuff so only on like the 12th campaign mission...  :P

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #76 on: December 4, 2014, 04:58:02 pm »
I pretty much exclusively use the bow on this, unless I absolutely have to change.

Adds to the challenge but makes me feel more like Green Arrow haha.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #77 on: December 4, 2014, 08:26:59 pm »
So what I understood is that you still get meat/pelts when using guns, but get double if you use a bow.

Definitely a good challenge.

Yeah I think it's arrows and/or bolts that gives you double. The bolts are from the crossbow.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #78 on: December 4, 2014, 08:44:36 pm »
Is the crossbow more effective and is it silent?

The regular bow I found to be pretty tricky to use to be honest, but I'm not the most skilled player.

I got the recurve bow as soon as I could. 1 hit kill for most enemies.

I haven't actually used the crossbow. The description says that it isn't as powerful as the bow and takes a few hits to kill though.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 5, 2014, 02:29:25 pm »
Is the crossbow more effective and is it silent?

The regular bow I found to be pretty tricky to use to be honest, but I'm not the most skilled player.

There are skills that make the bow a little easier I think, like reducing the amount the sight moves around while you're aiming. I use the bow as much as possible, you have to pick your moments to shoot people with it (like when they're standing still in close/medium range. I decided to take down the first two fortresses on hard mode yesterday without doing any of the story missions to "soften" them up, so I ended up ditching the bow for some heavier firepower, but I'll probably switch straight back to it whenever I play next.

I wasn't initially a huge fan of 4, but after playing it for a while I'm much more into it. Smashing enemy convoys to bits with an elephant and a grenade launcher is a lot of fun, and taking down the outposts stealthily is as enjoyable as always. The grapple mechanic doesn't add much but it's a nice enough addition that makes traversing steep terrain less of a pain.