Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 324720 times)

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #360 on: January 7, 2023, 10:29:13 pm »
I thought he did alright to be honest considering he’s had two training sessions with us. He was free many times where he didn’t get the pass.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: January 7, 2023, 10:30:25 pm »
Still bewildered we went for him instead of a midfielder.

I’d understand the deal much more if we also bought another midfielder or two. As we saw something special in him and for that price before another club snatched him up it made a lot of sense.

Now he’s coming into a struggling team and everyone cries out for a midfielder and the club spends the transfer money on another left sided forward (who looks more like a central player also). That’s not his fault. But looks right now like a strange club decision.

Offline Hi72

• Kemlynite
« Reply #362 on: January 7, 2023, 10:31:17 pm »
Still bewildered we went for him instead of a midfielder.

Me too!   Also, did anyone notice he didn't actually take anyone on?   Not impressed but in fairness he needs time and he probably thinks the same about the club and team he has just walked into right now!

Online frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #363 on: January 7, 2023, 10:37:17 pm »
Looked tidy, and very much like a player who’s only had 2 training sessions with his new team. Really hope fans don’t project their very warranted discontent with our lack of midfield signings on to him. A forward player of his profile was needed, and great we got him now and didn’t wait until the summer.

We needed to the do the same with a midfielder. But putting additional standards/expectations onto him because we’re annoyed we haven’t signed a midfielder feels wrong.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: January 7, 2023, 10:39:42 pm »
On tonight's performance he looks like the most honest player in the league. He didn't go down at any time when he was pulled or pushed. Most PL players would go down with any contact at all.
Welcome again Gakpo lad.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #365 on: January 7, 2023, 10:42:53 pm »
I sense a new scapegoat has arrived. Let's not take our frustrations of not signing a midfielder out on him eh, he has no control over that.

We've had some mega debuts from attacking players over the years but not every player comes out of the blocks flying. He looked tidy enough.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #366 on: January 7, 2023, 10:45:38 pm »
I sense a new scapegoat has arrived. Let's not take our frustrations of not signing a midfielder out on him eh, he has no control over that.

We've had some mega debuts from attacking players over the years but not every player comes out of the blocks flying. He looked tidy enough.

There's a queue, he has to get behind Hendo, Fab, Naby, Ox, Elliott, Virgil and after tonight Mo and Ali.

Please add to the list if I have missed anyone.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #367 on: January 7, 2023, 11:06:55 pm »
Defo not ready to start but what other options do we have. Klopps hand has been force.

He was a lot better in the second half. We know he’s better than that

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: January 7, 2023, 11:08:17 pm »
Defo not ready to start but what other options do we have. Klopps hand has been force.

He was a lot better in the second half. We know he’s better than that

Hes' not a squad player. He's been ripping it up for PSV and was a starter for the Dutch at the World Cup.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: January 7, 2023, 11:10:34 pm »
Hes' not a squad player. He's been ripping it up for PSV and was a starter for the Dutch at the World Cup.

The dutch league is shite mate.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: January 7, 2023, 11:12:14 pm »
The dutch league is shite mate.

That doesn't negate the fact he was really good though does it for fuck sakes?

And I was responding to someone who said he's not ready to start.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #371 on: January 7, 2023, 11:18:21 pm »

He’s not ready to start for us based on that performance. Needs a few more training sessions

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #372 on: January 7, 2023, 11:27:00 pm »
He was utterly bewildered about whatever we do as a football team but you can see there's a player there.

Remember Jurgen likes about 6 months to break in a new starter in a lot of cases so lets see how she goes.

When we get Diaz and Jota back we are going to be able to actually rotate the front 3 pretty seamlessly at a pretty high level, hopefully. Win everything again. wait for it.  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: January 7, 2023, 11:36:37 pm »
He could be as good as Messi in his prime and it wouldn’t make any difference because the problem isn’t the forwards.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #374 on: January 8, 2023, 12:12:44 am »
I couldn’t imagine spending a week with a new company/team and contributing to my best ability nevermind the equivalent of 2 training sessions he’s has. We needed another forward, we’ve got a great one I feel.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: January 8, 2023, 12:26:01 am »
Looked tidy but not yet used to how fouls are awarded here. Strong on the ball and decent acceleration to get past a player or two. Not sure about his top speed though.

Online StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #376 on: January 8, 2023, 12:51:37 am »
I thought he looked fine.  Nothing special from one match but that's sort of to be expected coming into a new squad.

Kept wishing he would have used his left foot to push the ball down the line rather than always cutting back and playing it to the middle but ah well...   

Will likely be a good addition and... can he possibly play midfield? 

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: January 8, 2023, 01:01:51 am »
The poor blokes been absolutely stitched up, the decision makers have essentially said this guy is so good he negates the need to buy a midfielder

I'm not sure what the decision makers are saying with this signing. I thought he did OK  and there's plenty to work with.
But it'll be shocking if we prioritise a forward over a midfielder.  Let's hope they surprise us again and sign both..

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #378 on: January 8, 2023, 07:47:50 am »
An underwhelming debut in a side that looked like it didn't know what it was doing. He's only had a couple of training sessions though. So it's a bit unfair to be too critical of him.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #379 on: January 8, 2023, 08:01:02 am »

I'm not sure what the decision makers are saying with this signing. I thought he did OK  and there's plenty to work with.
But it'll be shocking if we prioritise a forward over a midfielder.  Let's hope they surprise us again and sign both..

Read a credible report on the Klopp template thread that we’re looking at Saint Maximin and Son potentially?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: January 8, 2023, 09:07:40 am »
There's a queue, he has to get behind Hendo, Fab, Naby, Ox, Elliott, Virgil and after tonight Mo and Ali.

Please add to the list if I have missed anyone.

The owners, the recruitment team, the Boss and the coaches, the medical department, the PL, the FA, the Middle East, FIFA, oil and oligarchs 👍

Damn I forgot VAR and all the Officials!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #381 on: January 8, 2023, 09:10:19 am »
Read a credible report on the Klopp template thread that we’re looking at Saint Maximin and Son potentially?

Which creible report? Please supply a link.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #382 on: January 8, 2023, 09:17:38 am »
Which creible report? Please supply a link.

It’s right here

Linked with Son and Saint Maximin

He’s posted it a few times so assume it’s legit
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #383 on: January 8, 2023, 09:23:42 am »
It’s right here

He’s posted it a few times so assume it’s legit

I just checked and it was from you…
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: January 8, 2023, 09:24:03 am »
Is it January 8th or February 8th? I seem to have lost a month because everybody acting as though window has closed. Yes it would have been nice to have a midfielder ready to go on the 1st but let's trust that they are working hard to find the right profile of midfielder.

We need to find a player who is for but is t getting minutes because his face don't fit. Are there any clue s out there that seemingly hoard central midfielders?
« Last Edit: January 8, 2023, 09:25:57 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #385 on: January 8, 2023, 09:24:41 am »
An underwhelming debut in a side that looked like it didn't know what it was doing. He's only had a couple of training sessions though. So it's a bit unfair to be too critical of him.

Diaz last year got a good cameo off the bench on his debut. A bit much to ask this lad to start after 1 or 2 sessions in a team that's lost the plot.

We'd have been better off yesterday starting more fringe players and bringing the likes of Gakpo, Thiago and Mo on second half.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: January 8, 2023, 10:33:44 am »
Probably shouldn’t have started yesterday, obviously can’t judge him on it but didn’t really see anything from him that suggests it was a signing we needed to make.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: January 8, 2023, 10:59:14 am »
He was fine. I felt sorry for him, really. When I saw the strength of the team I thought it would be a nice introduction for him but it was like we had 11 players playing with eachother for the first time rather than just him. I'd have liked to see him run at defenders more, he was quite conservative in cutting back inside and passing to a midfielder, we didn't get a chance to see his pace or trickery at all. I'm sure he's going to be a good player once our team learns how to play football again.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #388 on: January 8, 2023, 11:02:09 am »
ah whay a surprise, come in this thread to see some people making educated judgements after one game, and creating anew scapegoat, not disappointed! You bunch of absolute clowns.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: January 8, 2023, 11:06:01 am »
He was fine. I felt sorry for him, really. When I saw the strength of the team I thought it would be a nice introduction for him but it was like we had 11 players playing with eachother for the first time rather than just him. I'd have liked to see him run at defenders more, he was quite conservative in cutting back inside and passing to a midfielder, we didn't get a chance to see his pace or trickery at all. I'm sure he's going to be a good player once our team learns how to play football again.
Yeah I’m sure he will do much better, but where does he play and who does he replace? For me our forward line is Diaz, Nunez, Salah. Hopefully he can find fulfil his potential and find his place here.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: January 8, 2023, 11:10:24 am »
ah whay a surprise, come in this thread to see some people making educated judgements after one game, and creating anew scapegoat, not disappointed! You bunch of absolute clowns.

Absolute madness isn’t it. He’s had two training sessions. I thought he was absolutely fine.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #391 on: January 8, 2023, 11:23:36 am »
Good if unspectacular performance, but clearly he is a top talent. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Nunez and Mo were back on the scoresheet with his introduction. I really can’t understand the moaning other than it being the norm for most. Whilst he is a left winger, we’ve had to resort to playing a natural centre-mid at left wing in recent weeks so this signing strengthens a position in which we lacked depth, freeing up another player to provide depth elsewhere.

I know Oxlade-Chamberlain isn’t a shiny new toy but he’s often delivered when fit and called upon. People forget his contribution during these same months last season when Sadio and Mo were at the AFCON.

I’d rather see Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Curtis and Milner used in rotation with Gakpo, Nunez, Salah, Jota and Firmino rotating up top with Elliott, Carvalho and Doak as bench options than what we are currently seeing in many games. Hopefully his registration in the league means we can see this going forward.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2023, 11:32:13 am by mikey_LFC »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #392 on: January 8, 2023, 12:07:02 pm »
I agree.  I thought he looked a little shell shocked at the pace of the game too.  I think I was as guilty as many others on here in (wrongly) expecting a Diaz like impact from the get-go.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: January 8, 2023, 06:02:13 pm »
In my mind he's replacing Taki and Origi. He's just not same level as Diaz, Jota at the minute imo.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: January 9, 2023, 12:32:15 am »
In my mind he's replacing Taki and Origi. He's just not same level as Diaz, Jota at the minute imo.

To me it was a strange signing. For 37m that can rise to 50m I think we'd have been better off buying a midfielder and keeping Taki or Divock. I don't put much stock in that debut, we're a poor side playing at a mid-lower table level the last few games, so you can't expect players to shine from the off unless they're special like Suarez. Diaz came into a side that was playing at a fairly high level already so it was easier for him to make an impact, he was also older and his skillset lends itself to being able to impress on his own anyway. Going to withhold judgment on Gakpo until he gets a proper run in the side after weeks of adapting, he's clearly not the issue given we've been playing like this on and off since the season started.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: January 9, 2023, 08:50:21 am »
To me it was a strange signing. For 37m that can rise to 50m I think we'd have been better off buying a midfielder and keeping Taki or Divock. I don't put much stock in that debut, we're a poor side playing at a mid-lower table level the last few games, so you can't expect players to shine from the off unless they're special like Suarez. Diaz came into a side that was playing at a fairly high level already so it was easier for him to make an impact, he was also older and his skillset lends itself to being able to impress on his own anyway. Going to withhold judgment on Gakpo until he gets a proper run in the side after weeks of adapting, he's clearly not the issue given we've been playing like this on and off since the season started.

Gakpo more than held his own in a decent World Cup for the Netherlands.

Suarez hardly looked anything special in his first few games 😂

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: January 9, 2023, 10:50:30 am »

Gakpo is at least two levels above Taki or Divock - Taki lets not forget is not even 2nd choice at Monaco in his position (and they are not exactly a good team); and Origi before his injury was 3rd/4th choice striker for AC and whenever he played was average at best.  Having either of them having to start multiple games in a row (if they played front three instead of Ox, and now Gakpo) would have weakened our team massively - and it's not like Jota and Firmino haven't been massively injury prone recently (they both have).

Keeping them on the bench for the first 3 months would have cost a fair and meant we couldn't have afforded to buy anybody in Jan (partly because we raised £15m for Taki, partly as they would have been on combined £150k a week as Origi would have wanted more money, and they were on £135k a week 2 seasons ago, and finally because we didn't have any space for more non-England players in our 25).

I think if Jota or Diaz was fit, then it is clear that we would have gone for a midfielder ahead of Gakpo, but Gakpo is cheaper than most midfielders we'd want, due to PSVs finances and it being January - and its good to plan for the future giving it is likely Firmino is leaving in the summer, so we'd need another forward then anyway. 

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #397 on: January 9, 2023, 11:57:16 am »
Some people are . But I've seen him 10 times this season between PSV and Holland and I was nearly laughing at United signing him. I've been accused by my friends of writing him off after one game but i'm going off what i've seen pre Liverpool not one game . I thought he was ok . But every one fit Id have darwin jota or diaz Lw ahead him or 9 Darwin jota or bobby before him . This signing would make more sense for me if we switch to 4-2-3-1 in summer and he could share no 10 position with bobby . We can't control MF with 3 cms let alone 2 so that switch can't happen now . That's only way I can see him being a starter for us .
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #398 on: January 9, 2023, 11:59:47 am »
No point in judging the lad for a little while yet. Let him bed in, adapt and then see. But he's got some really good raw tools and Klopp will improve him further I'm sure.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: January 9, 2023, 01:41:52 pm »
Liverpool Supporters these days - most educated supporters my fucking fat hairy scouse arse, no better than every other clubs muppets in far too many cases.
Jurgen YNWA