Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 183390 times)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #1640 on: January 28, 2020, 07:55:58 pm »
I’m a head of year and get more frees than a ‘normal’ teacher. I actually get more than the head of the department I work in. Still nowhere near enough needed to do the job though

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1641 on: January 28, 2020, 08:10:55 pm »
I’m a head of year and get more frees than a ‘normal’ teacher. I actually get more than the head of the department I work in. Still nowhere near enough needed to do the job though

Roughly how many more have they given you for the HoY stuff?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1642 on: January 28, 2020, 08:18:56 pm »
4 or 5 a cycle (fortnight)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1643 on: January 28, 2020, 08:20:03 pm »
At the minute though, with how the TLRs are and with me being new to the role, the head of the year below gets 3 more than me (not to mention more pay...)

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #1644 on: January 28, 2020, 08:42:16 pm »
I'm thinking of a change again, currently on SLT in an alternative provision, I teach 6/30 lessons a week but they're not really lessons. 4 of these are delivered by external providers where I just sit in. I miss teaching but not many PE jobs locally at the moment. I'm also not sure if I want to step down from a SLT position. I'm caught in between a lot of politics between our LEA and Academy owners neither of which appear to have the children's best interests at heart.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1645 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:26 pm »
Our heads of year teach 36 out of 50.

Heads of department 39 out of 50

Normal teachers 45 out of 50 (although it’s a bit less as one is mostly assembley)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1646 on: January 28, 2020, 08:58:42 pm »
Are you still in the juniors Tepid or moved to big school?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1647 on: January 28, 2020, 09:01:12 pm »
Are you still in the juniors Tepid or moved to big school?
;D

Big uns chops
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1648 on: January 28, 2020, 09:09:29 pm »
She teaches 48 out of 60 as a Head of Year.

Normal teachers tend to be 49 or 50 out of 60.

Not sure about Head of Department but they get more free than her.

2 of those (for all of them) are assemblies though, 1 of which she now has to plan/lead.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1649 on: January 28, 2020, 09:41:42 pm »
Sounds like it’s more the normal teachers at her school getting a good deal than her getting a bad one

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1650 on: January 28, 2020, 09:42:52 pm »
Sounds like it’s more the normal teachers at her school getting a good deal than her getting a bad one
Yep.

They get an amazing deal
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1651 on: January 28, 2020, 09:45:25 pm »
Yeah they do give a pretty good amount to the normal teaching staff - they try to give a min of 10.

If that’s the case though they should really use that as the base for the HoY rather than eat into that.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1652 on: March 17, 2020, 06:57:51 pm »
Honestly feel like we're being hung out to dry by the government during this crisis. The advice is to work from home and socially distance, unless of course you're a teacher (or, as they see us, a glorified babysitter), in which case you can spend 5 days a week in small rooms with 30+ kids at a time in a building of 1200 teenagers with dubious hygiene practices.

The kids are terrified and staff are increasingly concerned. It's a horrible situation in which to work.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1654 on: March 17, 2020, 08:25:19 pm »
I’ve told year 13 that I’m going to come back and haunt them if they give me it and I die.  Gallows humour the way to go with them...

Year 7 are oblivious and are more interested in Pokemon....

To be honest , if I could teach 5 hours a day every day, I would because it distracts me from the reality of the situation.

W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1655 on: March 17, 2020, 08:27:56 pm »
As I said in the COVID thread, I suspect it's less about the economy and more about the huge gap it would cause by removing NHS and public sector workers if schools close. Councils will be gearing up for the inevitable though to help keep those employees at work.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: March 17, 2020, 08:30:21 pm »
Honestly feel like we're being hung out to dry by the government during this crisis. The advice is to work from home and socially distance, unless of course you're a teacher (or, as they see us, a glorified babysitter), in which case you can spend 5 days a week in small rooms with 30+ kids at a time in a building of 1200 teenagers with dubious hygiene practices.

The kids are terrified and staff are increasingly concerned. It's a horrible situation in which to work.

Yeah, shite atmosphere in our place currently. Kids coughing left right and centre, getting sent home early.

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1657 on: March 17, 2020, 08:33:03 pm »
Teaching remotely via net here in Ireland. Keep safe all. Hopefully this will be a major life learning experience in caring and kindness for the kids.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1658 on: March 17, 2020, 08:34:43 pm »
About 25% of teaching staff were off today at my gf’s school. 75% of catering staff which meant SLT were helping cook and serve!

280 kids (from 980) were off, and over 20 got sent home during the day. She’s had 3 tonight email to say they wont be in for next few weeks too.

Seems unsustainable.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1659 on: March 17, 2020, 08:35:52 pm »
Teaching remotely via net here in Ireland. Keep safe all. Hopefully this will be a major life learning experience in caring and kindness for the kids.

How is that working so far? We are preparing to do similar but not sure how it's going to work realistically.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1660 on: March 17, 2020, 08:42:45 pm »
Working fine so far, we were well prepared. Exam years getting most of our focus, most students engaging very well but there is always a few who will not do anything. We already use many aspects, so students not unfamilar with the concept.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #1661 on: March 18, 2020, 08:54:34 pm »
So schools closed but actually still open for key worker kids and vulnerable. Over the easter too or have I misunderstood that!?
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1662 on: March 18, 2020, 08:56:17 pm »
Well that's 2 years of study down the pan! Gutted for Y11.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1663 on: March 18, 2020, 08:57:59 pm »

GCSEs are normally a path to somewhere, hopefully they’ll get where they wanted to go after GCSEs and everything they’ve learned up to now will be used then.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1664 on: March 18, 2020, 09:05:06 pm »
Learning is a virtue.

No learning is ever wasted.

If our intention is only to get some grades the we aren’t doing it right.  The kids have learned the knowledge  and skills that will take them forwards in their lives.
W

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1665 on: March 18, 2020, 09:07:34 pm »
Yeah, very true.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1666 on: March 18, 2020, 09:11:01 pm »
So schools closed but actually still open for key worker kids and vulnerable. Over the easter too or have I misunderstood that!?

Good question - I'd be surprised if the usual 'breaks' weren't honoured still. The students have still worked hard and teachers and both deserve those periods of 'rest'.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1667 on: March 18, 2020, 09:11:51 pm »
Good question - I'd be surprised if the usual 'breaks' weren't honoured still. The students have still worked hard and teachers and both deserve those periods of 'rest'.

The holidays will 100% still be respected.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1668 on: March 18, 2020, 11:38:11 pm »
Learning is a virtue.

No learning is ever wasted.

If our intention is only to get some grades the we aren’t doing it right.  The kids have learned the knowledge  and skills that will take them forwards in their lives.
so it will be coursework or guesswork ironically we are running mocks this week
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1669 on: March 19, 2020, 12:34:27 pm »
There will be those who say that this isn't the time for posts like this, as for the moment we must all do what is required to help others and help society get through this crisis.

However, sitting in a school full of fearful, tearful children, my overriding feeling is one of anger.

When all this is over and life returns to normal - and it will, whatever normal looks like at that time - there are a few things that need to be remembered.

Very few people have been possessed of the full facts of this pandemic from the beginning, and members of the public have undoubtedly been complacent in their response, but this crisis ultimately falls at the door of government. From the outset, ministers will have been briefed about the  truth of the situation in China, the situation in Italy, the mounting situation in Spain and France, and now the death toll is growing in the UK at an alarming rate.

There were opportunities to act, and at every turn, our leaders chose inaction. How long were flights allowed to continue from mainland China into Europe at the start of the epidemic? How many flights per day were permitted to fly between Italian and UK airports, long after Italy had reached crisis point? How long after the scale of the pandemic became apparent did our leaders sit on their hands and allow mass gatherings to take place? As I sit here now, with the storm clouds building, I can STILL choose to go and meet friends in a pub - I am just advised not to. How long did teachers beg the government to close schools to halt the spread? The WHO has been screaming the answers at our leaders for months now. The inaction has been suicidal.

We must all do what we can to surmount the biggest challenge of our generation. We will, from Monday, act as a childcare centre for the children of key workers, and school kitchens will be used to provide crisis care. Our teachers will continue to work long into the night planning online delivery of the curriculum and marking work in order to shield our young people from this disaster as much as we can, and to provide them with some semblance of normality and structure in this new reality.

But when this is all done, when the dead have been buried and mourned, when we are able to hold our families tight and greet them with a loving kiss, there will be a reckoning. I am writing this now in case I am not able to write it then. When that reckoning comes, remember this.

They KNEW. And they CHOSE not to act.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1670 on: March 19, 2020, 05:48:54 pm »
Anyone know how their school will run then? The government have still not made clear what 'key workers' means in terms of children that should come in on Monday leaving schools unsure on staffing.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1671 on: March 19, 2020, 05:56:50 pm »
Anyone know how their school will run then? The government have still not made clear what 'key workers' means in terms of children that should come in on Monday leaving schools unsure on staffing.
Our head is clear that he won’t risk staff by opening.

We would have very very few kids I suspect anyway.

Just a bizarre and surreal day.

Year 11 and 13 somewhat in shock, they feel denied their exams which they’ve worked so hard for.

Had my last lesson with year 13 group, I managed to hold it together but it was tough.  Normally you have a chance to say goodbye.  Schools are communities after all.
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1672 on: March 19, 2020, 05:57:58 pm »
Gfs school are going to rota staff, including over Easter holiday, to come in and babysit.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1673 on: March 19, 2020, 06:00:52 pm »
Gfs school are going to rota staff, including over Easter holiday, to come in and babysit.

Yeah I think a rota is likely at our place. We envisage around 30 students still in school for the senior school. Also been asked if we are willing to come in over Easter. I don't mind a few days.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1674 on: March 19, 2020, 06:05:30 pm »
Haha, so missus is on lockdown for 2 weeks and her schools total lack of planning is showing through - they’ve actually suggested she comes in Mon and Tues next week to go through what they’re going to do.

That shit should have been done weeks ago.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1675 on: March 19, 2020, 06:10:06 pm »
We’re getting daily emails (so far!) with teachers giving work to our kids. They might need some teachers still to work there but hoping not my wife, both for safety reasons, and selfishly so I can work properly from home. Got fuck all done today!

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: March 19, 2020, 08:38:51 pm »
There will be those who say that this isn't the time for posts like this, as for the moment we must all do what is required to help others and help society get through this crisis.

However, sitting in a school full of fearful, tearful children, my overriding feeling is one of anger.

When all this is over and life returns to normal - and it will, whatever normal looks like at that time - there are a few things that need to be remembered.

Very few people have been possessed of the full facts of this pandemic from the beginning, and members of the public have undoubtedly been complacent in their response, but this crisis ultimately falls at the door of government. From the outset, ministers will have been briefed about the  truth of the situation in China, the situation in Italy, the mounting situation in Spain and France, and now the death toll is growing in the UK at an alarming rate.

There were opportunities to act, and at every turn, our leaders chose inaction. How long were flights allowed to continue from mainland China into Europe at the start of the epidemic? How many flights per day were permitted to fly between Italian and UK airports, long after Italy had reached crisis point? How long after the scale of the pandemic became apparent did our leaders sit on their hands and allow mass gatherings to take place? As I sit here now, with the storm clouds building, I can STILL choose to go and meet friends in a pub - I am just advised not to. How long did teachers beg the government to close schools to halt the spread? The WHO has been screaming the answers at our leaders for months now. The inaction has been suicidal.

We must all do what we can to surmount the biggest challenge of our generation. We will, from Monday, act as a childcare centre for the children of key workers, and school kitchens will be used to provide crisis care. Our teachers will continue to work long into the night planning online delivery of the curriculum and marking work in order to shield our young people from this disaster as much as we can, and to provide them with some semblance of normality and structure in this new reality.

But when this is all done, when the dead have been buried and mourned, when we are able to hold our families tight and greet them with a loving kiss, there will be a reckoning. I am writing this now in case I am not able to write it then. When that reckoning comes, remember this.

They KNEW. And they CHOSE not to act.

Well said. Feel exactly the same.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1677 on: March 20, 2020, 02:31:04 pm »
How many students are your schools expecting in next week? We were told today there's 230 students primary and secondary combined (we are independent so both schools are same buildings sort of)

Seems like a large amount of numbers? Do schools need to consider the implications of having large numbers still mixing and close to each other?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1678 on: March 20, 2020, 02:37:00 pm »
How many students are your schools expecting in next week? We were told today there's 230 students primary and secondary combined (we are independent so both schools are same buildings sort of)

Seems like a large amount of numbers? Do schools need to consider the implications of having large numbers still mixing and close to each other?

Yeah it seems quite stupid if you’re still having 230 kids mixing and going home to the most needed staff this country has (apparently) and if they show any symptoms, and they will, they’ll need to isolate for 2 weeks.

Sounds like asking for trouble.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1679 on: March 20, 2020, 02:39:23 pm »
We've got about 12.

Might do a day every couple of weeks.

Such an emotional day today.  Year 11 and 13 leaving so suddenly. Schools are at their heart communities.

And every pupils time comes to an end.  But the journey was not complete. 

My old form leaving school at the age of 18 unexpectedly early, and I was fine until the head of sixth form did the most moving speech. Not a dry eye in the house

This bit of Dumbledore broke me

W