32 (25.4%)
Murphy
4 (3.2%)
Robertson
27 (21.4%)
Allen
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: The Snooker thread  (Read 653686 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The Snooker thread
« Reply #12280 on: May 1, 2024, 04:41:44 pm »
What’s the winter gardens?

the place hazel and the pundits are in the afternoons. someone playing on the table that looked like a bloke in a dress and someone tried showing some hand-drawn 'sign' on camera mentioning something about women's sport. someone looking like security went and got it.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12281 on: May 1, 2024, 04:43:41 pm »
Who had Dave Gilbert and Jak Jones as the first two confirmed semi finalists? ;D

Strange from Maguire, one snooker needed & he concedes the frame & match, snooker quite gettable too even though he was hampered by the pink.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12282 on: May 1, 2024, 04:48:16 pm »
What’s the winter gardens?

They have the cue zone in the Winter Gardens throughout the tournament, & its where the BBC present the morning/afternoon coverage from until the quarter finals, the BBC move the coverage from the theater itself from tomorrow, when it's down to one table format.
#Sausages

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12283 on: May 1, 2024, 04:50:47 pm »
the place hazel and the pundits are in the afternoons. someone playing on the table that looked like a bloke in a dress and someone tried showing some hand-drawn 'sign' on camera mentioning something about women's sport. someone looking like security went and got it.

Protesting about the pockets I expect

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12284 on: May 1, 2024, 04:53:07 pm »
Bit more like it from Ronaldo. It’s obviously the sponsor patch that’s been holding him back.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12285 on: May 1, 2024, 04:54:27 pm »
Protesting about the pockets I expect

The lad in the dress defo didn't have any.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12286 on: May 1, 2024, 05:12:20 pm »
Who had Dave Gilbert and Jak Jones as the first two confirmed semi finalists? ;D

This person:

I've always been a fan of Maguire, hope he makes it through. It's probably the match I'm most looking forward to, 2 of the others could be pretty one sided and don't really like watching Wilson.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12287 on: May 1, 2024, 05:31:35 pm »
looks like it's going to be 8-8

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #12288 on: May 1, 2024, 05:32:34 pm »

When a trans woman won a women's tour tournament all the weird transphobes on Mumsnet were suddenly experts on snooker and how sex-based differences (height, hand span, testosterone, apparently) affect ability to play, as though Zhao Xintong wasn't beating big tall players constantly that season. (There's an argument that snooker being such a male-dominated world might give an advantage to a player who grew up male but transitioned after they started playing seriously, because it would have been easier in some ways to 'join in' hence the women's tour existing as a separate thing in the first place despite the main tour being open to all players, but they didn't know enough about snooker to look at it that way.)  I wonder if it was one of them.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12289 on: May 1, 2024, 05:46:30 pm »

Thought Ronnie might sprint off at 8-6. Bingham did well there, Ronnie didn’t get a sniff in those two frames.

At least Ronnie is cueing well. Fancy him to win still but Bingham won’t hand it over. I reckon 13-10 Ronnie.

The other semi looks like going all the way. Higgins will be half dead if he scrapes through again. I’ll go Kyren 13-12.

Should be another cracking night.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12290 on: May 1, 2024, 05:58:04 pm »
When a trans woman won a women's tour tournament all the weird transphobes on Mumsnet were suddenly experts on snooker and how sex-based differences (height, hand span, testosterone, apparently) affect ability to play, as though Zhao Xintong wasn't beating big tall players constantly that season. (There's an argument that snooker being such a male-dominated world might give an advantage to a player who grew up male but transitioned after they started playing seriously, because it would have been easier in some ways to 'join in' hence the women's tour existing as a separate thing in the first place despite the main tour being open to all players, but they didn't know enough about snooker to look at it that way.)  I wonder if it was one of them.

Anyone who thinks being a biological male won't give advantages in a sport like snooker doesn't understand sport. Or male vs female physiology. As the sporting world now accepts.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #12291 on: May 1, 2024, 06:06:58 pm »
The IOC - and by extension WST - classes it as a game of skill ie. sex differences have minimal bearing on participation. WST are happy for men and women to compete on the main tour together in recent years. So I'd be happy to defer to their view, as they're in the sports science field and I am not. (As someone female who is taller than the average man, with feet that don't fit into 'women's shoes' for the most part, I'm very wary of biologically essentialist arguments that assume all women are tiny, if only because nobody wants to be thought of as a big galoot.)

I was more amused by a group of anti-trans people suddenly being experts in a sport they hadn't given a fuck about until five minutes earlier.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 06:13:07 pm by fridgepants »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12292 on: May 1, 2024, 06:11:25 pm »
Anyone who thinks being a biological male won't give advantages in a sport like snooker doesn't understand sport. Or male vs female physiology. As the sporting world now accepts.

::)

Nonsense. It's historically been played in social clubs dominated by men (it was originally called a gentleman's sport until the modern era), leading to it being a male dominated sport, and therefore boys growing up were also more likely to play from a young age. It's a skill game. How are men more skilled than women?

That whole "anyone who thinks X, doesn't understand Y" is a cliched non-argument too.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 06:13:51 pm by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12293 on: May 1, 2024, 06:17:29 pm »
The IOC - and by extension WST - classes it as a game of skill ie. sex differences have minimal bearing on participation. WST are happy for men and women to compete on the main tour together in recent years. So I'd be happy to defer to their view, as they're in the sports science field and I am not. (As someone female who is taller than the average man, with feet that don't fit into 'women's shoes' for the most part, I'm very wary of biologically essentialist arguments that assume all women are tiny, if only because nobody wants to be thought of as a big galoot.)

I was more amused by a group of anti-trans people suddenly being experts in a sport they hadn't given a fuck about until five minutes earlier.

Same with chess. Men are more successful because far more men have been playing it from a young age and dedicating their lives to it. Nothing biological.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12294 on: May 1, 2024, 06:27:01 pm »
::)

Nonsense. It's historically been played in social clubs dominated by men (it was originally called a gentleman's sport until the modern era), leading to it being a male dominated sport, and therefore boys growing up were also more likely to play from a young age. It's a skill game. How are men more skilled than women?

That whole "anyone who thinks X, doesn't understand Y" is a cliched non-argument too.

Re your final line, fair comment I shouldn’t have said that. I’d argue physiological differences matter in snooker - reach and cue power. But also, even if it’s a skill game. Biological men have hand eye coordination advantages too.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12295 on: May 1, 2024, 07:54:53 pm »
Bingham looking very comfortable here.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12296 on: May 1, 2024, 07:56:10 pm »
Bingham looking very comfortable here.

Yeah, stole a frame to go 10-9 up that O'Sullivan should have won, in for a cracking last few frames.
#Sausages

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12297 on: May 1, 2024, 07:57:51 pm »
Re your final line, fair comment I shouldn’t have said that. I’d argue physiological differences matter in snooker - reach and cue power. But also, even if it’s a skill game. Biological men have hand eye coordination advantages too.

C’mon both. You’re both good posters who add value to the site. If you’re going to have an argument, make it about something worthwhile, not a topic that the Tories have weaponised in their latest bout of culture wars (listening to Kemi Badenoch on R4 today, using this issue to score cheap media points, was depressing).
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12298 on: May 1, 2024, 08:12:31 pm »
Oh Ronnie!

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12299 on: May 1, 2024, 08:14:48 pm »
Phew.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12300 on: May 1, 2024, 08:15:58 pm »
WTF was O'Sullivan thinking on that yellow, he just needed to roll it in, but managed to pinch the frame anyway, 10-10 at the mid session.
#Sausages

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12301 on: May 1, 2024, 08:17:05 pm »

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12302 on: May 1, 2024, 08:44:49 pm »
Bloody farcical scenes with that fucking door.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #12303 on: May 1, 2024, 08:55:45 pm »
Feels like Ronnie's on the brink here.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12304 on: May 1, 2024, 09:00:17 pm »
Feels like Ronnie's on the brink here.

He's not been on it at all really

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12305 on: May 1, 2024, 09:05:18 pm »
He's not been on it at all really

Bingham is the first decent player, he's played.  Bingham rolling back the years, here.  Looks good.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12306 on: May 1, 2024, 09:08:02 pm »
Some of Ronnie’s decision making has been erratic at best but fair play to Bingham for punishing him.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12307 on: May 1, 2024, 09:08:11 pm »

Bingham playing like peak Hendry after being middling all year.

Ronnie only has himself to blame though. Some poor shots at key moments has left Bingham with open balls.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12308 on: May 1, 2024, 09:09:48 pm »
Ronald isn't beaten until he is. Still wouldn't be surprised to see him win 13-12.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12309 on: May 1, 2024, 09:12:21 pm »
Ronald isn't beaten until he is. Still wouldn't be surprised to see him win 13-12.

I dunno, Bingham is getting the luck now. He missed that black to the near jaw and it still dropped.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12310 on: May 1, 2024, 09:14:02 pm »
Ronnie's completely gone here.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12311 on: May 1, 2024, 09:17:05 pm »
Seems to be more interested in proving his point to the referee to be honest.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12312 on: May 1, 2024, 09:21:06 pm »

Wow. Did Bingham just bottle it?

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12313 on: May 1, 2024, 09:23:00 pm »
I can't believe Bingham missed that pink
#Sausages

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12314 on: May 1, 2024, 09:23:39 pm »
Huge miss that.  That was the match.

Considering the balls he's potted, recently, that was such a bad error!

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12315 on: May 1, 2024, 09:25:35 pm »
That'll be that.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12316 on: May 1, 2024, 09:27:13 pm »
well in Bing.

good luck if you predicted that last 4.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12317 on: May 1, 2024, 09:27:43 pm »
Bingham is a dangerous player, when he's firing.  Very streaky.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12318 on: May 1, 2024, 09:27:46 pm »
Bingham Wins

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12319 on: May 1, 2024, 09:29:03 pm »
Wonderful session of snooker, both in terms of quality and excitement. Hope Bingham goes all the way.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown