Author Topic: Liverpool vs Sheffield United (Premier League) - 19:30, Thursday 4th April  (Read 15655 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Question. If we're comfortably up, say 3-0, with 20 minutes to go do we a) Go easy and save our strength b) Become gung-ho and try to maximise our goal difference?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Question. If we're comfortably up, say 3-0, with 20 minutes to go do we a) Go easy and save our strength b) Become gung-ho and try to maximise our goal difference?
a)

edit:  typed the wrong letter at first :)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Go easy and save strength.
Control the game, avoid injuries, play those who need minutes.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
C) bring on Konate and play silly stuff up front, chasing goals but not pressing or tracking runners, then make him sprint the length of our half at least 5 or 6 times.

and get the players at risk of a cumulative yellow card suspension on to commit tactical fouls

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Personally think all this talk of GD is unnecessary atm as i dont believe it will come down to that. I know Arsenal have had 8 wins and a draw since the turn of the year in the league but to continue that with CL inbetween? all key players staying fit and firing as they have done? imo it just won't happen.

Would much rather we conserve our energy ingame like we were so good at doing between 18-20....if we find ourselves in a comfortable winning position.

Sure there was that one season it could have come into play (ultimately didn't matter). But points on the board is the main goal, keeping everyone in the squad playing and sharing minutes especially when we have 3 games in a week and not a fully fit squad.....so they are as fit as possible with enough in the tank for the games we may need an extra push
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Go easy, keeping everyone fit gives us the better chance for the run in.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
Go easy, keeping everyone fit gives us the better chance for the run in.
going for a big scoreline = taking risks and players pushing themselves hard repeatedly = last thing we need.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
going for a big scoreline = taking risks and players pushing themselves hard repeatedly = last thing we need.

Yep win all our games 1-0 we win the league.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Presser in halfa..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7BaLd85hiDI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7BaLd85hiDI</a>

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
Option A definitely. Arsenal's GD advantage is +6 on us. (Incidentally, had that third goal of ours had counted on Sunday, I think we might have added a fourth which would have brought the GD to +4). In any case, it's too big a differential, since they have Luton at home tonight and could hammer them, plus basically all of our games are tough enough on paper to assume we'll do well to win by any margin.

This upcoming game is about the only 'opportunity' and frankly, never underestimate our ability to make games like this harder than they need to be! The scenario you outline would be a fantastic opportunity to ease off and get ready for Sunday, which will be a tough test.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2024, 01:10:53 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
Should Clarke start? I think he's more than ready. Fresh youngster, raging energy, this is the kind of run-in match the lad can contribute in while giving one of the more senior players a rest.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
Should Clarke start? I think he's more than ready. Fresh youngster, raging energy, this is the kind of run-in match the lad can contribute in while giving one of the more senior players a rest.
no.  don't put the weight of a "this is a gimme 3 points" on a kid. 

start strong, bring on 5 subs (not all at once :) ) as soon as we're comfortable.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
if we're changing the midfield (which I'm personally in favour of), I'd personally hope it was to either trial a less familiar midfield shape with the united away game in mind - eg bringing in Elliot in place of Endo - or, if not considering fluency for the next game, i'd prefer prioritising the more senior returning midfielders.

So if we're looking more at pure rotation to spread minutes/rest and to get players fit, I'd have thought it'd be better to start Gravenberch since he's trained a lot post-injury (plus he's always performed better as a starter than as a sub) than Clark (who's been playing plenty and will be up to speed ready to contribute from the bench without having to come in as 'cold'). Same applies for Jones - it being a priority to 'warm him up' ready to contribute in upcoming tougher games - if we're in the position to use him tomorrow (what a treat that'd be)

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
Dont think we need to worry too much about goal difference with Jota coming back. Just need to stay on top and the rest will take care of itself. 

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
if we're changing the midfield (which I'm personally in favour of), I'd personally hope it was to either trial a less familiar midfield shape with the united away game in mind - eg bringing in Elliot in place of Endo.

But if not, and we're looking more at pure rotation to spread minutes/rest and to get players fit, I'd have thought it'd be better to start Gravenberch since he's trained a lot post-injury (plus he's always performed better as a starter than as a sub) than Clark (who's been playing plenty and will be up to speed ready to contribute from the bench without having to come in as 'cold'). Same applies for Jones - it being a priority to 'warm him up' ready to contribute in upcoming tougher games - if we're in the position to use him tomorrow (what a treat that'd be)

yep, this is a PL game not a training session.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Curtis in full training and in contention, no other returnees.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Allison looks good, him, Jota and Trent likely in team training next week.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
Jones back in contention for tomorrow

Alisson, Jota and Trent back in part team training from next week.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
Klopp saying he didn't know Arsenal and City played tonight.

LIES!

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size

Incredible news.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Incredible news.

Very good, but would have been even better if it was a week earlier. Imagine having all three on the bench at Old Trafford.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan

which means not available for MU, presumably.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
Very good, but would have been even better if it was a week earlier. Imagine having all three on the bench at Old Trafford.

I was about to post the same thing. But it shouldn't be forgotten the players controlled the Manu game and two lapses of concentration resulted in Manu beating us rather than us getting battered.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
It's fine I suppose. All of these injuries took a while longer than we hoped and expected, but as long as they all stay fit it's going to be ok. Great to hear we are  finally so, so close to having them all available. Long may it continue and let's just stay injury free - it's what will bring us titles or not in the end.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
I don't think we will take a risk with Endo tomorrow. Klopp mentioned he took a knock in our last game and that we will have to see for tomorrow.

I can see a midfield of Mac Allister, Szoboszlai and Gravenberch. The reason why I would go with Gravenberch ahead of Elliott, is because I feel he needs to start getting minutes under his belt. He's played very little since coming back from his injury. We'll need him during the run in.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
Endo and Nunez need to avoid 2 yellow cards in 3 games. SU, MU and Palace. SU is our 30th game. The reset is after game 32.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
Allison looks good, him, Jota and Trent likely in team training next week.

Getting Jota back would be the best return yet. When he's been on it this year, I think he's been our best striker. Most impactful this year in the matches he's played.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
This press conference....

'How important is...'

Every single question is phrased the same way.

These journalists would have nothing to talk about if they couldn't ask firstly about injuries, then about confidence, momentum, motivation. The three words they think cover the whole of football.

They never ask about tactics, technique, or absolutely anything technical.

It's just bizarre, because you've only got to go on youtube and you'll find a load of people talking intelligently about football, broadcasting from their bedroom.

Have these journalists ever studied the game? You'd think if you were going to be a football journalist you'd have done a bit of studying on the subject.

No wonder Jürgen is sick of the press conferences and takes the pi$$ our of the journo's so much.

Just amazing the media team at Liverpool allow it to carry on, but they're probably the same kind of media people.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan

'How important is...'

These journalists would have nothing to talk about if they couldn't ask firstly about injuries, then about confidence, momentum, motivation. The three words they think cover the whole of football.

It's just bizarre, because you've only got to go on youtube and you'll find a load of people talking intelligently about football, broadcasting from their bedroom.

Have these journalists ever studied the game? You'd think if you were going to be a football journalist you'd have done a bit of studying on the subject.

No wonder Jürgen is sick of the press conferences and takes the pi$$ our of the journo's so much.

Just amazing the media team at Liverpool allow it to carry on, but they're probably the same kind of media people.

journos aim their stuff for the lowest level of audience.

and to be honest I don't like the idea of ppl teasing out hints about our tactics before a game.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan

'How important is...'

This annoys me too. Italian and Spanish journalists ask questions around tactics, and actually ask managers to explain certain details about the system and tactics for any given game.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite

'How important is...'

Jurgen did take the piss a bit as he was walking out which was funny.

"Is Any Robertson back?"

"Yeah. And very important by the way."

Also said something else which I didn't catch the first word of.

"... players are very important"

All our/last/fast?

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
Getting Jota back would be the best return yet. When he's been on it this year, I think he's been our best striker. Most impactful this year in the matches he's played.

Agreed

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
journos aim their stuff for the lowest level of audience.

I don't think it's deliberate on their part, it's all they're capable of.

and to be honest I don't like the idea of ppl teasing out hints about our tactics before a game.

There have been times Jürgen has talked about tactics, on MNF for instance. He does it in such a way that doesn't give anything to opposing managers that they wouldn't know anyway.

Regarding the Liverpool media team - how hard would it be to set this up so we can actually hear the questions, even if they are crap?
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Brilliant news re those returning next week. Jota the most vital I’d say with the need for a clinical finisher once again in evidence Sunday.

Thanks for the OP jack. 3 points is the only thing that matters. Although it’s definitely a game that if everything is clicking we can bolster our GD. We shouldn’t be looking to force that though, it’ll happen if it happens
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
Personally think all this talk of GD is unnecessary atm as i dont believe it will come down to that. I know Arsenal have had 8 wins and a draw since the turn of the year in the league but to continue that with CL inbetween? all key players staying fit and firing as they have done? imo it just won't happen.

Would much rather we conserve our energy ingame like we were so good at doing between 18-20....if we find ourselves in a comfortable winning position.

Sure there was that one season it could have come into play (ultimately didn't matter). But points on the board is the main goal, keeping everyone in the squad playing and sharing minutes especially when we have 3 games in a week and not a fully fit squad.....so they are as fit as possible with enough in the tank for the games we may need an extra push

It's a three-horse race at the top...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
a)

edit:  typed the wrong letter at first :)
a is the first letter. are you using a different alphabet there in Canadia?

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan

'How important is...'

It's the culture around football discourse in the UK (I come from Scotland, it's no different from England), it's so debased and is always a lot more salacious and lacking insight compared to on the continent.

I think this comes from an anti-intellectual streak in the British game, one that sneers at tactics and game development. Just think Klopp was a pundit some years back, along with Rangnick and co. In Italy, they discuss tactics deep into the night post-matches. The newspapers go into depth too with in-depth analysis, conversations of which overspill into coffee shops in Amsterdam, Milan and Munich to name just a few.

Here? We've got Danny Mills and Gabby Agbonlahor dribbling out their mouths, struggling to string a sentence together. The outrageous things they say is egged on by other dunces like Andy Goldstein and co, and it makes you think, if that is the level of football discourse in the country, then it's no wonder our managers are so tactically inept. We're not in the habit of talking about tactics and there's no eagerness there, and I can't help but think that impedes the development of young wannabe coaches; the conversations aren't being had in media or society or on the training field and, despite taking advanced coaching coaches, they are already playing catchup with their continental compatriots who are well versed in tactical discourse from an early age. As a country, we're not really provoked into thinking about tactics at an early stage.

It's why England won't be winning anything with their talented squad because the coaching, while more progressive than nightmarish idiots like Allardyce, still isn't nearly good enough. Lost count how many times Southgate has been outwitted.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2024, 02:36:56 pm by mattD »

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
C) bring on Konate and play silly stuff up front, chasing goals but not pressing or tracking runners, then make him sprint the length of our half at least 5 or 6 times.

and get the players at risk of a cumulative yellow card suspension on to commit tactical fouls

sounds suspiciously like testing his resolve....

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan

If Trent, Jota and Ali are in “part” team training next week that means it is not full training. So highly unlikely they will be available for Palace. So then we’re looking at Fulham and our run of away games.

Frankly I don’t want to bring them back till they are fully fit as we don’t want to risk another reinjury and a half fit player is a liability as we saw with Trent at Arsenal. The boys are doing brilliantly and when we do get players back properly fit it will be a bonus.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
So possibly no Endo tomorrow, good news about others returning to training shortly though. I'd just play Mac Allister deepest again, if there's one game where you don't need Endo surely it's against these at home. Elliott will likely start and there's also Gravenberch and Jones from the bench so not bad.

I think in terms of keeping it nice and easy or going for more goals it's a tough one. I think it's City we need to have beat on GD and so far we're doing well on that front, tomorrow's a chance to expand on that too hopefully. If we can get some players only needing to do an hour though it'd be great, we've got more European games on the horizon too. I know it's been a long season and all but with a maximum of 15 games in two months we should be able to cope now more players are coming back. If we can have Alisson/Trent/Jota etc back for say Palace or Atalanta away it'd be great, bit sceptical given how long our players tend to be out with these knocks but from mid April onwards it'd certainly be a boost.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.