Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 599281 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #10120 on: April 23, 2024, 09:14:52 am »
You'd think someone at the club would sit down with the Captain and Vice and ask them what they think about playing under someone like Frank, De Zebre etc, wonder how many would be out the door if Howe came in

Yes, but last time we tried that we got Roy Hodgson foisted on us.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #10121 on: April 23, 2024, 09:16:28 am »
Yes, but last time we tried that we got Roy Hodgson foisted on us.

Yeah but look who they were asking :D

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10122 on: April 23, 2024, 09:16:55 am »
That tweet that Edwards and Hughes aren't afraid to make an unpopular but brave decision is really worrying.

a) They know the decision will be unpopular
b) They consider the decision to be brave and reading between the lines 'brave' means a gamble
That's like the Yes Prime Minister bit where Sir Humphrey praises Hacker for his 'brave and courageous decision', which frightens the hell out of Hacker because he knows Sir Humphrey thinks that he's made a barmy decision.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10123 on: April 23, 2024, 09:16:59 am »
Amorim still my first choice....Pochettino my second - surprised he hasn't been mentioned more? while pipsqueaks like Frank, O'Neil, De Zerbi and Howe have... excellent manager, knows the Premier League, not a knobhead...and I think he'd get us.....his job interview starts tonight....

Chelsea wouldn't let him go to us anyway. If he was available he might be in the frame.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10124 on: April 23, 2024, 09:22:09 am »
That tweet that Edwards and Hughes aren't afraid to make an unpopular but brave decision is really worrying.

b) They consider the decision to be brave and reading between the lines 'brave' means a gamble

It could mean literally anything. Alonso and Amorim are the only two that seem to be in favour with the fanbase, so literally any other choice would be 'brave' and potentially unpopular.

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10125 on: April 23, 2024, 09:24:12 am »
Given any manager is going to be a step down after Klopp, I think Ange Postecoglou should be in the conversation. Lost Harry Kane and has Spurs right up there playing attacking football and above Man United, Chelsea and Newcastle. He speaks English well, is a lifelong Liverpool fan and would be able to steady the ship being a fatherly, empathetic figure in the mould of Klopp.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #10126 on: April 23, 2024, 09:27:48 am »
Amorim still my first choice....Pochettino my second - surprised he hasn't been mentioned more? while pipsqueaks like Frank, O'Neil, De Zerbi and Howe have... excellent manager, knows the Premier League, not a knobhead...and I think he'd get us.....his job interview starts tonight....

He looks to be in constant emotional pain with those little sad puppy eyes. He also said some weird shite in his time at Chelsea. I'd stay away from him.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10127 on: April 23, 2024, 09:28:12 am »
Where is this Rodger’s link arising from??? Not in a million years of Sundays imo.

Historical Fool. Literally the only "link" to Rodgers.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #10128 on: April 23, 2024, 09:28:57 am »
Fonseca been spoken to according to X

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #10129 on: April 23, 2024, 09:30:10 am »

According to who from X?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10130 on: April 23, 2024, 09:32:36 am »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #10131 on: April 23, 2024, 09:32:46 am »
Yep and there is going to be a long list of requirements, I'd imagine top of the list is someone who doesn't want the same level of power Klopp had at the end of his time here, it burnt Klopp out, Klopp is a unicorn you bend the structure for him but I doubt FSG will do that again especially from the off for a new manager.

That kind of thinking though is how we ended up with a shortlist of Rodgers and Martinez. Once Martinez was ruled out we ended up bending the structure for Rodgers. Why would any top manager go into a job in which he is going to have very little power and the club has basically been handed to Edwards.

We were successful when there was a balance of power between the nerds and Klopp with Gordon making the final decisions. We now have a system in which Edwards has now taken over the Gordon role and appointed his mate as DoF. Hughes has brought a couple of mates of his own and the balance has swung entirely in the direction of the nerds.

Are we looking to recruit a top manager to look to compete at the very top level or will it be a case of looking for a fall guy if things don't go well. Top managers want an element of control. They want to be able to shape a squad to enable them to play the kind of football they choose to play.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10132 on: April 23, 2024, 09:37:15 am »
That kind of thinking though is how we ended up with a shortlist of Rodgers and Martinez. Once Martinez was ruled out we ended up bending the structure for Rodgers. Why would any top manager go into a job in which he is going to have very little power and the club has basically been handed to Edwards.

We were successful when there was a balance of power between the nerds and Klopp with Gordon making the final decisions. We now have a system in which Edwards has now taken over the Gordon role and appointed his mate as DoF. Hughes has brought a couple of mates of his own and the balance has swung entirely in the direction of the nerds.

Are we looking to recruit a top manager to look to compete at the very top level or will it be a case of looking for a fall guy if things don't go well. Top managers want an element of control. They want to be able to shape a squad to enable them to play the kind of football they choose to play.

Thing is if we dont see success then any manager will be turfed out. No manner of spreadsheets will save the nerds in that situation.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10133 on: April 23, 2024, 09:37:35 am »

Completely unconvinced about those two points.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #10134 on: April 23, 2024, 09:40:15 am »
According to who from X?

Fella called Barnier

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #10135 on: April 23, 2024, 09:41:25 am »

we said ‘stop calling here you’re not going to be our manager ‘

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #10136 on: April 23, 2024, 09:43:17 am »
Given any manager is going to be a step down after Klopp, I think Ange Postecoglou should be in the conversation. Lost Harry Kane and has Spurs right up there playing attacking football and above Man United, Chelsea and Newcastle. He speaks English well, is a lifelong Liverpool fan and would be able to steady the ship being a fatherly, empathetic figure in the mould of Klopp.
Good Grief.....

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10137 on: April 23, 2024, 09:44:38 am »

There's none available though, that's the problem.

The problem in 2012 was Rodgers was about the worst person to appoint for the structure they wanted because he's ego driven and likes power plays. In the end they gave him the power when he got the job but he made a complete hash of that first summer window and got it taken back off him.

Whoever they appoint needs to work with Hughes and Edwards as Klopp worked with Edwards and Gordon. That's the way top clubs work now. We bent it to give Klopp more power because it's Klopp but he worked better with Edwards and Gordon than since Edwards left, particularly with recruitment.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #10138 on: April 23, 2024, 09:44:44 am »

The clouds are chinese spy planes according to X, might need a bit more than that mate
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10139 on: April 23, 2024, 09:45:23 am »

Hopefully it's Delifonseca and we are just ordering some cured meats and cheese for corporate

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10140 on: April 23, 2024, 09:47:53 am »
Surely Klopp is being listened to for advice on a new manager as well though? well you'd think anyway
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 09:53:39 am by [new username under construction] »

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #10141 on: April 23, 2024, 09:49:14 am »
According to who from X?

Sorry it was me who started that rumour....X seems to have grabbed it.

I’d say it’s all speculation.

Enter the ring Paulo Fonseca from Lille.
#JFT97

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10142 on: April 23, 2024, 09:50:17 am »

Yeah I'd have Poch actually.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10143 on: April 23, 2024, 09:50:57 am »
Surely Klopp is being listed to for advice on a new manager as well though? well you'd think anyway

Hope not.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10144 on: April 23, 2024, 09:51:09 am »
Yeah I'd have Poch actually.

I used to have Poch but the Doc gave me some cream for it

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10145 on: April 23, 2024, 09:53:38 am »
Sorry it was me who started that rumour....X seems to have grabbed it.

Managed 10 different clubs already, last 4 jobs in 4 different countries. Seems a journeyman.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #10146 on: April 23, 2024, 09:55:38 am »
Surely Klopp is being listened to for advice on a new manager as well though? well you'd think anyway

Well he’s given his opinion on Gareth … sorry I mean Linders

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #10147 on: April 23, 2024, 09:58:45 am »
Jaysus Christ poch no tks

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #10148 on: April 23, 2024, 09:58:47 am »
Data driven approach or not, all models and data are there to support your decision-making and not do the job for you. Each analysis is as good as its assumptions and this is a human's job to correctly construct it. It would be a highly unusual approach to not have anything on your mind or not have any biases and just wait for anything that selected data shows you.

We probably need somebody who would attract top players and would help us retain key talent. Therefore for example I can't really imagine us sitting with Thomas Frank, given his biggest achievement with Brentford is probably getting promoted or staying in PL? He wasn't really expected to compete with a small margin of error or having most of the league playing lowish of low blocks against you all the time. You don't really quantify that.

And I also wonder whether the balance has not swung too much away from the Manager, but we don't really have enough data to guess now.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 10:00:46 am by crewlove »

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10149 on: April 23, 2024, 10:00:32 am »
Ben Jacobs.

It was actually Ornstein that said this a few days ago.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10150 on: April 23, 2024, 10:01:53 am »
Mauricio, how does it feel to be appointed Liverpool manager :

Pochettino: "The lemons are there to get rid of bad energy. Some people arrive with bad energy and that goes into the lemons. It’s like a barrier, a sponge. They take away all the negativity and you can see – it’s unbelievable."

“I change the lemons maybe every 10 days."

He wouldn't last a week here!

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10151 on: April 23, 2024, 10:03:32 am »
I'm very cynical about that tweet. It suggests a decision has been made, and it's known by some who are keeping it a secret.

It's easy to say it'll be brave and possibly unpopular, if it's not Alonso or Amorim. Basically, it's not saying a lot.

Yes. Exactly what I said yesterday

Personally, I think Ornstein knows more than he is letting on. It's just a hunch based on his reporting in recent weeks. Previously, he said it was "incredibly unlikely" that we would go for De Zerbi. The tone of his reporting suggested to me that you can absolutely rule him out. Like you said above, he's consistently said that Amorim, despite being under consideration, wasn't the outstanding candidate and that we were still exploring other candidates. Also, a couple of days ago he talked about Hughes and Edwards being prepared to be "brave over popular" when choosing the next manager and it's why I wasn't surprised when he came out today and stated Amorim is unlikely. I just have this naggin feeling that he has an idea who the next manager is going to be but hasn't been given the all clear to report it yet. I could be way off but that's how I feel.

I think we can definitely rule out O'neil, though. Hughes isn't going to sack someone he didn't think was good enough for Bournemouth and then a year later think he is good enough to manage one of the best teams in Europe.  He would look like an absolute idiot if he did that and would rightly raise eyebrows by fans.

It's going to be interesting times ahead. No idea who I want as manager now. I don't think you can rule out the likes of Frank, Potter, Howe etc going by the brave over popular comment.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10152 on: April 23, 2024, 10:03:55 am »

No it's not, stop trying to retroforce events of 10+ years ago to fuel your agenda against FSG.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10153 on: April 23, 2024, 10:06:01 am »
Which possible candidate has some European pedigree?

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10154 on: April 23, 2024, 10:07:21 am »

I think people are misreading it and getting worried over nothing.

The way I read it, all they mean is they aren't just going to go for the most "popular" option (ie the name everyone is talking about) as a default. So we could still end up with Amorim only if they decide he is definitely the strongest candidate after a thorough process of analysing the data etc. Not because he is the most obvious and popular candidate.

And they won't be afraid to choose someone the fans aren't excited about because they are making the decision based on more than just a popularity contest. So we should trust them because if they decide there is someone better suited to us than Amorim out there, they will have very good reasons for believing that.

Of course, I could be giving them far too much credit - maybe they'll just ignore all the in-depth analysis from the nerds and we'll end up with Howe just because he's Hughes's mate... We'll see. Only a month or so of waiting left before we find out.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10155 on: April 23, 2024, 10:09:11 am »
Jaysus Christ poch no tks

A bad year for a manager is one thing, but he's basically had a bad 5 years since the CL final he lost. Still dining out on Spurs where ultimately he won nothing and lost a title race with Leicester. He's not a winner.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #10156 on: April 23, 2024, 10:11:10 am »
A bad year for a manager is one thing, but he's basically had a bad 5 years since the CL final he lost. Still dining out on Spurs where ultimately he won nothing and lost a title race with Leicester. He's not a winner.

Nothing about him says Liverpool manager …..

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #10157 on: April 23, 2024, 10:13:50 am »
On the latest Anfield Wrap show they said Postecoglou has only won once away from home against the top 12. I don't want any part of that.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Main Stander
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #10158 on: April 23, 2024, 10:14:34 am »

He's not and I think he's said he doesn't want to be

Still wasn't that good at Spurs either. The year we beat them in Madrid they lost 13/14 games in the league and got lucky because they didn't draw many games. He's just not a good manager.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10159 on: April 23, 2024, 10:18:27 am »
For months I was sure it was Alonso. For the last few weeks I was sure it was Amorim.  In both cases I was very happy. I'll be honest, if its not one of those two and you offered me Mourinho on a strict 12 month contract with Alonso to take over next summer, I would be all over that rather than some of the other mad shouts going around (a lot of which are Chinese whispers starting even in this thread and getting completely out of hand).

Hoeness, Slot - I accept they have fantastic records and I am being slightly hypocritical since I had never heard of Amorim 2 months ago, but I don't see how completely unheralded managers like this can be chucked in the deep end
De Zerbi, Franck - far too many question marks for me. If either happened I would give them a chance but I would be worried
Howe/Tindall, Pochettino, Emery - no way these guys are being allowed to join us even if we want them