Author Topic: PlayStation Vita Thread  (Read 32257 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PlayStation Vita - confirmed games & developers so far
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 06:37:19 pm »
This does look very good. Especially the 960 x 544 OLED screen.

Would've been nice if they managed to fit L2 and R2 buttons on it though. Then maybe we'd be able to use it as an extra controller for our PS3 ;D

Kinda hoping that the touch pad on the back will act as R2 and L2 on some games, i hope so anyway.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:59 pm »
Developers stopped making games for the PSP a long time ago.

What?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 03:54:08 pm »
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps-vita-console-wi-fi-3g-pre-order-price-weekend-183-toysrus/1018152?page=3  £183 toysrus
Is it really out on the 1st of January? I'm getting fed up of waiting for a release date. It's putting me off buying it as I don't want to put money aside for it because it could release as late as mid next year and I'm sure other people feel the same way.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:55 pm »
Last i heard there was no confirmed release date for eu/us.
It comes out on 17th of december in japan and that's the only official date confirmed so far.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »
Last i heard there was no confirmed release date for eu/us.
It comes out on 17th of december in japan and that's the only official date confirmed so far.
I really don't get it. Why not reveal it at E3 and say 'here you go it's out on 10th December' or something like that? There's other games/consoles to buy out there that have release dates already so either this is really bad management or Sony genuinely believe millions of people are going to put £230 aside for this whenever they feel like releasing it.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2011, 05:01:08 pm »
I really don't get it. Why not reveal it at E3 and say 'here you go it's out on 10th December' or something like that? There's other games/consoles to buy out there that have release dates already so either this is really bad management or Sony genuinely believe millions of people are going to put £230 aside for this whenever they feel like releasing it.

Erm, because there's this thing called competition and they don't want people to think there's nothing in the pipeline. Also investors want to know where the plan is.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2011, 06:13:38 pm »

Nah thats not the case, i think Sony genuinely believed people were gonna pay top dollar for the ps3 and they didnt but as far as the Vita goes, you usually get stagnated release dates over different territories for consoles in general. SCEJ might for example have a handfull of games due for launch that would appeal to the japanese market whereas SCEE/SCEA might want different games @ launch. Could be to do with the PS Stores aswell and having all the original PSP games available or when would be the best time to introuduce/market it to the western world.

I'd rather them not say anything definative than say "Okay its gonna launch 11/01/12" and then a few days before they say they cant release it due to shortages or whatever.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 09:29:56 pm »
I'll be one of those people, and I'm sure there'll be many others. Ideally I wanted to own one before the end of the year, but a delay isn't going to make me go "oh I'm not buying one then".

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PlayStation Vita thread - Latest: EU release in 2012
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:00 am »
22/02/2012

Thats the confirmed launch for eu/u.s/latin america. Oh well longer than i would of liked but there's plenty of games on consoles and pc alike to keep me busy till then.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: December 2, 2011, 05:32:20 pm »
I'm still tracking this as we get towards February, but I'm now 50/50.

There was a point I was pretty much sold, and I'm away on holiday the following week and fancied a bit of Uncharted on the beach.

The lineup at release looks good, and may well improve as a few third party titles are added to the list.

However my big gripe, and the thing most likely to stop me buying on day one is the memory cards. They are proprietary for the Vita, needed for some of the games, including Uncharted and are the prices are absurd. A 4GB is around $30, a 32gb about $120. That's way more than any other memory format around to the point of just being bizarre, it's not even close.

It basically takes the cost of the Vita from £230, which would tempt me to £250+ which starts to put me off.

You can also bet that the UK prices for memory will align with the dollars the US pay!

I'm just hoping people like HMV do some decent bundles which give a better deal on launch.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: December 2, 2011, 06:57:14 pm »
I'm still tracking this as we get towards February, but I'm now 50/50.

There was a point I was pretty much sold, and I'm away on holiday the following week and fancied a bit of Uncharted on the beach.

The lineup at release looks good, and may well improve as a few third party titles are added to the list.

However my big gripe, and the thing most likely to stop me buying on day one is the memory cards. They are proprietary for the Vita, needed for some of the games, including Uncharted and are the prices are absurd. A 4GB is around $30, a 32gb about $120. That's way more than any other memory format around to the point of just being bizarre, it's not even close.

It basically takes the cost of the Vita from £230, which would tempt me to £250+ which starts to put me off.

You can also bet that the UK prices for memory will align with the dollars the US pay!

I'm just hoping people like HMV do some decent bundles which give a better deal on launch.

Are they Sony branded cards? Because when PSP dropped the duosticks were expensive but there were cheaper ones available by different brands, albeit still not cheap.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 2, 2011, 08:58:49 pm »
Are they Sony branded cards? Because when PSP dropped the duosticks were expensive but there were cheaper ones available by different brands, albeit still not cheap.

There probably will be eventually. On release though you're stuck with the ridiculous Sony ones. They never learn!

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 2, 2011, 09:17:18 pm »
There probably will be eventually. On release though you're stuck with the ridiculous Sony ones. They never learn!
I thought the games come on memory cards and are around £40 each.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 2, 2011, 10:47:31 pm »
I thought the games come on memory cards and are around £40 each.

They do. But the Vita also needs a separate memory card for patches, saves and other bits. Some games, including Uncharted for example, won't be playable without an additional Sony card in the machine.

As such all the hype suggesting a Vita is £230 is nonsense really.

See this story for the frankly pathetic Sony attempt at explaining it all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-02-sony-defends-vitas-proprietary-memory-cards

You'd think if it was integral it would come with the machine? For it not to be just highlights the way Sony operate on this. This is the main reason I've gone from very interested to really quite sceptical. It suggests Sony haven't learnt their lesson and more daft pricing will follow.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #55 on: December 3, 2011, 12:53:34 am »
Mine is pre ordered. I plan on burning through Uncharted and then selling it for retail or more. If not...oh well.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #56 on: December 3, 2011, 08:12:42 am »
Those memory stick prices are ridiculous, and massive Sony fanboy though I am, I will not be buying one of their memory sticks at those prices and therefore won't be buying a Vita until the inevitable Sandisk's hit the market. What was wrong with the Pro Duos anyway?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 3, 2011, 08:26:22 am »
I was reading up on the memory cards yesterday too, apparantly this is Sony's attempt to stop piracy on the Vita, just a matter of time though like everything.

I'm still getting it because uncharted on a 5 inch oled with dual analogue's will be great stuff and i'm alot more confident in the library of games this time round, plus you can stream ps3 games to your vita i think...

with the original psp you could control your ps3 from the other side of the world, but you couldnt play games, so if i can jump on my ps3 through vita and play some skyrim for example when i'm not at home, that seals the deal for me.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2011, 08:30:57 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #58 on: December 3, 2011, 09:30:09 am »
Sony has always been that way. We have a machine here capable of 1080p Bluray playback*, HD games*. We shall call it the PS3.

*HDMI cable needed. Not included.

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #59 on: December 3, 2011, 10:40:25 am »
Sony has always been that way. We have a machine here capable of 1080p Bluray playback*, HD games*. We shall call it the PS3.

*HDMI cable needed. Not included.

To be fair the PS3 came out just a shade before HDTVs were the norm, and they were expensive enough already without adding a £10 cable into the mix. And the HDMI cable isn't needed for anything, it just makes it awesome :P

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #60 on: December 3, 2011, 11:38:12 am »
It's needed for HD though and you would think they would include it as the norm these days.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #61 on: December 3, 2011, 11:50:19 am »
When I first got my ps3 I didn't have a HD tv (to be fair tho I did go out a week later and buy one).
Plus how much is a hdmi lead, a couple of quid

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #62 on: December 3, 2011, 11:54:58 am »
It's not the monetary value it's the point that they sell it as a HD gaming machine without the chance to play it in HD from the box.  They sell the Vita without a Sony branded memory stick even though games require you to use it.

You wouldn't buy a HD tele and then have to download a patch at home to unlock the higher resolutions?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #63 on: December 3, 2011, 11:57:25 am »
Agree on the vita, as it's all in one. Not so much on the ps3 as like I say it's not up to them who has a HDTV or not, so although ideally its a hd gaming system it's not necessarily

Offline dublinred101

• Thread closer.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quasimoto
« Reply #64 on: December 3, 2011, 03:54:34 pm »
was just wondering does anyone know if your able to turn the touch screen off on the vita? i'd say it would come in useful for some games but for the likes of fifa i think it would be better to just use the buttons etc.
Mosquito

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 3, 2011, 07:06:17 pm »
was just wondering does anyone know if your able to turn the touch screen off on the vita? i'd say it would come in useful for some games but for the likes of fifa i think it would be better to just use the buttons etc.

Its not just touch based. There will be times when you might have to touch the screen with a particular game but with something like fifa...i doubt it.

An example of touching the screen might be with a FPS/TPS where L1 is zoom and R1 is shoot but the front touch pad could be used to throw grenades, or the rear touch pad could be used as L2/R2 functions.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 3, 2011, 08:02:52 pm »
From another forum

I just got back from the Vita event in Osaka (where I got to try most launch titles), and they gave us this little catalog with the launch line up of games and accessories. There also a FAQ section at the end, and that's where I found this bad news:

Quote:
Q: How many PSN account can be set up on a Vita system?
A: Only 1 account. If you want to to use a different account, you need to format the system to factory settings.

(translation from Japanese by me, apologies if it doesn't sound natural in English).

:butt

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 3, 2011, 11:53:06 pm »
As of now I've lost all interest in buying this, will be following its progress after its release though.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #68 on: December 4, 2011, 09:14:44 am »
:D

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #69 on: December 4, 2011, 10:29:16 am »
Vita Games on PSN to be 40% Less than Retail

http://thriftynerd.com/2011/12/vita-games-on-psn-to-be-40-less-than-retail/

Quite the rollercoaster of good news/ bad news these last couple of weeks

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 4, 2011, 01:54:12 pm »
Only one PSN account per Vita has sort of put me off.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2011, 01:55:52 pm by Buzz Killington »

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 4, 2011, 01:58:50 pm »
It's amazing that it doesn't at least have a couple of gigs built into it. Even in hindsight, releasing the 360 all those years ago without a built in HDD was somewhat of a mistake, and that was nearly 7 years ago.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 4, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »
Only one PSN account per Vita has sort of put me off.

It's not even that you can only be logged in with one, it's that you have to reset to factory settings. What's the point, seriously?

It's amazing that it doesn't at least have a couple of gigs built into it. Even in hindsight, releasing the 360 all those years ago without a built in HDD was somewhat of a mistake, and that was nearly 7 years ago.

What's worse is that not every game saves to card and some won't start if you don't have a memory card.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 4, 2011, 02:13:09 pm »
It's not even that you can only be logged in with one, it's that you have to reset to factory settings. What's the point, seriously?

What's worse is that not every game saves to card and some won't start if you don't have a memory card.

Is it a piracy prevention measure then or what, wasn't piracy blamed for the PSP not doing so well?

Either way, just seems totally absurd.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 4, 2011, 02:14:50 pm »
Is it a piracy prevention measure then or what, wasn't piracy blamed for the PSP not doing so well?

Either way, just seems totally absurd.

Piracy has nowt to do with the memory card.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #75 on: December 4, 2011, 02:40:40 pm »
What's the big deal about only one PSN account, I must be missing something.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 4, 2011, 02:53:45 pm »
Piracy has nowt to do with the memory card.

It does.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38922/PS_Vita_Hopes_To_Prevent_Piracy_With_Closed_Memory_Format.php

Whether it will work or not is another issue, but thats how there hoping to combat piracy on the vita.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #77 on: December 4, 2011, 04:39:41 pm »
If games are (supposedly) 40% cheaper on PSN then the not-so-cheap memory cards aren't really that much a problem.

Think that percentage is bullshit though, await an official decision.
:D

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 4, 2011, 05:47:24 pm »
If games are (supposedly) 40% cheaper on PSN then the not-so-cheap memory cards aren't really that much a problem.

Think that percentage is bullshit though, await an official decision.

Games on the PSN to be cheaper than there retail counterparts?

That'd make a change though as PS3 games on PS Store are ridiculously overpriced.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 4, 2011, 09:32:36 pm »
It does.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38922/PS_Vita_Hopes_To_Prevent_Piracy_With_Closed_Memory_Format.php

Whether it will work or not is another issue, but thats how there hoping to combat piracy on the vita.
Can't see it working to be honest. Sony will probably make a massive cock up like they did with Blu-ray having the same permissions on every different game.