Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 589794 times)

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2024, 03:25:10 pm »
I'd love Unai above everyone else to be honest.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2024, 03:33:25 pm »
Would Xabi regard Liverpool FC as a stepping stone to Madrid?
If so I don't want him.

Klopp may well end up at Madrid. Carlo extended his contract to 2026, when Klopp's would've ended.

He is taking a rest now to re-energise before taking the bull by the horns when Carlo goes ;)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: January 27, 2024, 03:33:33 pm »

On the face of it he seems the most accomplished candidate in terms of experience and trophies. May have learnt a few things from following on from Wenger in terms of what mistakes he made.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: January 27, 2024, 03:38:03 pm »
Klopp may well end up at Madrid. Carlo extended his contract to 2026, when Klopp's would've ended.

He is taking a rest now to re-energise before taking the bull by the horns when Carlo goes ;)

Real MAdrid isn;t the type of club Kloppo would go to. He called Mancs "Disneyland" when they wanted him, iamgine MAdrid then?

Online Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2024, 03:39:31 pm »
On the face of it he seems the most accomplished candidate in terms of experience and trophies. May have learnt a few things from following on from Wenger in terms of what mistakes he made.

I'm in the Alonso camp however if Xabi wants to home his skills a bit more before taking a bigger job then Unai is definitely the sort of safe guy we could get in for a few years. Don't see him being a long termer though.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2024, 03:40:13 pm »

I really like Unai. I'm happy to have him pick up the pieces if Xabi makes an absolute arse of it.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2024, 03:40:20 pm »
The legacy that Jurgen leaves behind is a world class footballing infrastructure and squad for the next man to pick up the baton - and that in and of itself will be enormously significant in providing the club the most seamless transition from the Klopp era into the next.

It that sense it really does give us some flexible to roll the dice with someone like Xabi as the infrastructure and platform are all there for him.

He's proven he is clearly a good coach, as he has Levenkusen punching this season playing some very good football, he would have the support of the fans and understands the club and city. Whether he is a good manager time will tell, he's not had many years to find solutions to problems, but he's a clever person and carries that quiet confidence along with the humility to refer to others around him. In that sense his backroom team will be as important to help work through problems and challenges.

I'm very much in the Xabi camp.
Completely agree with all of this and also I'd add that he is the type of manager players will want to play for.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2024, 03:42:37 pm »
Real MAdrid isn;t the type of club Kloppo would go to. He called Mancs "Disneyland" when they wanted him, iamgine MAdrid then?
Opinions and perspectives change. He may not have to energy to take over a huge project like Liverpool was when he joined. Real Madrid is an institution, even when they're having a bad season, it would only take 6 months to turn things around, everything is in place for an "easier" job.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2024, 03:48:16 pm »
What will be regarded as success for a new manager in their first season?
Would fans settle for a top 6 finish?
Would a trophy be a minimum requirement?
Tough job for whoever gets it and will probably have fans on their back from early doors.
Not sure we'll have a lot of patience, but last thing we need is a managerial merry go round, therefore expectations need to be dampened
Maybe the goodwill allotted to Alonso would buy him the required time
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2024, 03:48:33 pm »
Xabi, Ange, Emery and De Zerbi are the order i’d be wanting… outside of that if no of them were available of made a feck up i’d have Ancelotti for a couple of years.

Xabi appointment makes me think of the Arteta project and i like the thought of young and hungry managers fighting over the title. If pep decides to jump before the ship sinks it could be an exciting league again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 03:51:57 pm by Gerry83 »

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2024, 03:50:22 pm »

I believe Klopp has said, on more than one occasion, that he wouldn’t go to manage a club in a country that he doesn’t speak the language. 

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: January 27, 2024, 03:51:18 pm »
Opinions and perspectives change. He may not have to energy to take over a huge project like Liverpool was when he joined. Real Madrid is an institution, even when they're having a bad season, it would only take 6 months to turn things around, everything is in place for an "easier" job.

And despite the utter delusion of the red mancs, Real are by far and away, the biggest club in the world but I'm not convinced they are Klopp's 'type'!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: January 27, 2024, 03:52:05 pm »
Tough job for whoever gets it and will probably have fans on their back from early doors.
Not sure we'll have a lot of patience, but last thing we need is a managerial merry go round, therefore expectations need to be dampened

Its a tricky situation because on one hand i think its very unlikely of any real success but at the same time all the talk about structure goes out the window if they come 6th. If they come 6th as well then we are looking at an even bigger transition and it really is back to square one times.

As is always the case, the expectation has to be top four.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: January 27, 2024, 03:54:16 pm »
I would be OK with keeping Pep and giving him a go if the rest of the backroom staff stayed with him. If not I would like Xabi or next on the list De Zerbi. Hard to see beyond them right now. Lets hope we are as good at catching managers as we are at getting top players. We did OK last time we got a manager.
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: January 27, 2024, 04:00:47 pm »
My choice would be Xabi Alonso. I understand the argument that he’s low on managerial experience but I think he just has it in the same way Guardiola was able to jump straight in to managing at Barca. I can’t think of another possible candidate who is even remotely close to Xabi in my thinking.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: January 27, 2024, 04:02:10 pm »

The new guy could finish 10th, as long as I saw buy in from players, a developing tactical approach that, fully realised gets you winning football, and a set-up so well defined it showcases clear potential to raise the level with specific signings: continue, this path has a future.

You could finish 3rd with the new guy, keeping things mostly the same approach and squad wise, winning games with the last vestiges of quality from Salah and Van Dijk, but no vision, nothing getting built: bin, no future here.

The key is the quality of people at the club tracking the vision, reasoning and work of the new guy. Those above him must have some background in football to assess what they are looking at.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: January 27, 2024, 04:04:21 pm »
Would Xabi regard Liverpool FC as a stepping stone to Madrid?
If so I don't want him.

Xabi has previously spoken about his playing time at Madrid and said he thought he’d feel at home being back in his own country but it turned out he felt more at home at Liverpool.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: January 27, 2024, 04:07:23 pm »
Alonso for me, think he gets the club and would excel here

Also has some great players under his management that he could hopefully bring here

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #338 on: January 27, 2024, 04:09:34 pm »
They're saying as of now, the interest seems to be in Xabi, de Zerbi, Thomas Frank, and Ange P (I'll learn the spelling if I have to later), Nagelsmann

Seems a bit of guesswork, because I'd assume Amorim has to be on that list

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #339 on: January 27, 2024, 04:10:19 pm »
Alonso for me too. He gets the edge over De Zerbi because of his emotional connection to the club. He understands us and the fans will be a bit more patient with him because of his legacy.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: January 27, 2024, 04:10:21 pm »

Hopefully we're better than that.

Whoever gets it will have the hardest job in football on their hands going into next season. The minimum they should get from us is some time and patience - we've had nearly eight and a half years of continuity, an eternity in modern football, we should be going into next season expecting and prepared to accept that it might not be smooth sailing early on for the new manager while they find their feet.

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2024, 04:16:25 pm »
I want Alonso, would be fine with De Zerbi (not 100% convinced). Zidane would be a total wildcard (don't know his style eventhough he won 3 CLs back to back). Nagelsmann is a complete no from me, has not convinced me at all at Bayern.

Other than that, Ange would just be weird, leaving Spurs after one succesful season to come to us.

Really hope for Xabi right now though.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2024, 04:16:33 pm »
Can I get your thoughts on Hoeness and Stuttgart?
They are absolutely battering Leipzig at the moment (5-2), doubt he's in the mix but one to keep an eye on
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2024, 04:20:37 pm »
We replaced Shanks with Paisley who was a totally different kind of character. So Alonso for Klopp would be keeping in with what we do when we lose a truly great manager.

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #344 on: January 27, 2024, 04:29:36 pm »
The only managers with the gravitas and record to manage us now are Guardiola, Ancelotti, Simeone and Deschamps. None of them will come for one reason or another so the next manager will have to somewhat unproven for a club Liverpool's size. If FSG are going to use the data-driven, risk-free approach they prefer than I hope they don't go for someone without any trophies like they did Brendan Rodgers. Nagelsmann seems a good choice if Alonso wants to develop further at a lower stress job.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: January 27, 2024, 04:31:37 pm »
Why would Ange P. be on the list? Can’t see us dealing with Levy.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2024, 04:32:23 pm »

He's not going to leave a job he's only just started at Spurs.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2024, 04:33:10 pm »
Good shout, nothing would change much playing style with the high line counter press style, pretty good tactically and his European exploits are amazing.

Does't seem to rock the boat either about budgets and likes working with a DoF.

I bet he'll be highly thought of by FSG.

Id be happy with him.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2024, 04:33:39 pm »
Good shout, nothing would change much playing style with the high line counter press style, pretty good tactically and his European exploits are amazing.

Does't seem to rock the boat either about budgets and likes working with a DoF.

I bet he'll be highly thought of by FSG.

Id be happy with him.

He's not going to leave another top 4 team for us.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2024, 04:38:35 pm »
I really respect Emery as a manager and I think he's criminally underrated - but talk about a shock to the system for the players going from Klopp to Emery and how wildly they differ in terms of relationship building and temperament. I think it would be OK for a while but I only see it ending poorly. Following Gerrard was a layup for Emery - following Klopp seems like a bad fit, if that makes sense.

I'm mentally and emotionally already too invested in Xabi being the next manager. He's the only one of the candidates I've seen listed that moves me. 
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2024, 04:39:05 pm »
Bring in Bielsa for the laugh.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2024, 04:39:11 pm »
He's not going to leave another top 4 team for us.

??? You genuinely think he wouldn't leave Aston Villa for Liverpool?
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2024, 04:39:35 pm »
??? You genuinely think he wouldn't leave Aston Villa for Liverpool?

Yes, why would he? He's just started a project at Villa.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2024, 04:40:33 pm »
Yes, why would he? He's just started a project at Villa.

Because you can either overachieve with what is at best a top 8 club or manage one of the best-known, supported, and funded teams in the world?  Are...you okay?

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2024, 04:41:49 pm »
Because you can either overachieve with what is at best a top 8 club or manage one of the best-known, supported, and funded teams in the world?  Are...you okay?

I'm fine. I just don't see why on earth he would swap for another top 4 club.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #355 on: January 27, 2024, 04:42:53 pm »
I'm fine. I just don't see why on earth he would swap for another top 4 club.

That's a gross oversimplification imo.  Liverpool and Aston Villa aren't in the same stratosphere.  By that logic could we not get Eddie Howe either? Newcastle were 4th last season after all. Massive club.

I hope our board have bigger ambition and idea of the prestige of this club than you seem to have, christ.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2024, 04:43:54 pm »
That's a gross oversimplification imo.  Liverpool and Aston Villa aren't in the same stratosphere.  By that logic could we not get Eddie Howe either? Newcastle were 4th last season after all. Massive club.

I hope our board have bigger ambition than you seem to have, christ.

If you take your Liverpool blinkers off you'd realise not every manager would want to manage LFC especially if they have a project that they are currently succeeding with.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2024, 04:44:13 pm »

Like that is the reason he shouldn’t be on the list?  ;D  He’s not good enough. seeing names like him, Frank and even Beheddie Howe mentioned is mad.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2024, 04:44:35 pm »
If you take your Liverpool blinkers off you'd realise not every manager would want to manage LFC especially if they have a project that they are currently succeeding with.

LOL. Okay mate. Have a good day.  Imagine thinking that low of this club that we couldn't get Unai Emery from fucking Aston Villa.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2024, 04:48:18 pm »
Xabi's my first choice, but I wouldn't mind Emery either - good manager and a lovely bloke.