Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
Re: Rome
« Reply #40 on: March 9, 2009, 03:19:02 pm »
Haha, ta for the advice lads.

I have a mate that lives over there so he'll be my guide for a few days. He said its expensive to drinkout there but also that its ok to drink on the streets etc..... maybe go to the park with a bottle of scrumpy

1. buy a cheap bottle of wine
2. sit on spanish steps and get leathered
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: March 9, 2009, 03:21:36 pm »

I have a mate that lives over there so he'll be my guide for a few days. He said its expensive to drinkout there but also that its ok to drink on the streets etc..... maybe go to the park with a bottle of scrumpy

the spanish steps, with a few bottles, for the friday night sing song is good

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 9, 2009, 03:22:10 pm »
3. Don T-shirt reading Fuck John Keats

Well according to his recent Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Keats

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 9, 2009, 03:31:14 pm »

Depends on what you want to drink. Italian beer is reasonably priced but other stuff is expensive. I was there a couple of weeks ago but I drink wine (and Hard Rock cocktails: now they were expensive!).

Offline covi2k2

• Kopite
  • Who's Suarez ?
    • my photy hobbies :)
« Reply #44 on: March 9, 2009, 03:45:41 pm »
Depends on what you want to drink. Italian beer is reasonably priced but other stuff is expensive. I was there a couple of weeks ago but I drink wine (and Hard Rock cocktails: now they were expensive!).

Think i have my Saturday planned out then, United game, Rugby game,My mates Mums home cooking, bit of pubs and few bottles of wine on the Spanish steps.

Then off site seeing the rest of the days

There isn't a chance in hell that we'll win the league in the coming season.

My expectations are currently at 0%

www.ribsphotos.co.uk :)

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 9, 2009, 03:54:35 pm »
If you get the chance, go to Frescati for some porchetta.

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 9, 2009, 05:54:36 pm »
Remember to look up as well as both ways when crossing the road. I have not yet seen a flying scooter, but from the driving there, I am not prepared to discount the possibility.
Always search for a nun and cross the street with her. I can garantee you will make the other end of the road in one piece :)

Isn't it illegal since a couple of years to sit on the steps? A few years back (3 years ago I think) it was in the news that the city wanted the people off the steps. And that summer I went to Rome and indeed was send off the steps when we wanted to sit there.
Not sure if that has changed back over time..

The park where Villa Borghese is, is also a very nice place to sit (with a beer or wine).
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #47 on: March 9, 2009, 06:33:05 pm »

Fucking botellón!
One thing I never did when living in Spain, left those days behind when I was 15 ;)

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 9, 2009, 06:40:06 pm »
Rome is my 2nd favourite city in the world next to Liverpool! Went on my honeymoon there, the first time we went. Got to see JP2 in a special mass for newlyweds, but I punched the fucker when he asked me to kiss his ring!    :D

On your sightseeing days, especially around the Vatican, the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, just be very careful of pickpockets. There are fucking millions of them around those places, and trust me, they're better than any others. There are mobile police stations all around, and they are chocka with tourists who've been rifled!

As far as bars and cafes go, avoid sitting outside at the pavement tables. The closer you are to the bar, the cheaper the drink. I found that out first hand when we went in for a quick, coffee on our way out one day. We stood at the bar, had our coffees and paid up, about Ł3 or so. Next day, we had a bit more time to kill so we sat at the table on the pavement. Our coffees cost about Ł15 - nearly spat the fucking thing back out when I heard it!

As far as food goes, and I know this might sound daft, but just eat Italian. We decided that we'd have a Chinese one night for a change and it was without doubt the worst fucking Chinese I've ever eaten. I spoke to a lad back at our hotel, and he said he couldn't stand Italian food (yes, what was he doing in Rome then the silly twat?!) so he'd tried a different Chinese every night and they were all equally shite! There are some boss little trattorias around the side streets near the Vatican.

Travel wise, be careful crossing the roads because all the drivers are fucking loons! The buses are scary as fuck because they just keep letting people on until they've taken every available inch of space. And as far as the Metro goes, it's cheap and dead easy to use, but  try to avoid it on Sundays if you can. We went to the Vatican on the Sunday and were coming back just after the Lazio Roma derby had finished. I have never been so scared in my life. The people were packed in so tightly, it was almost impossible to breathe. I ended up with my nose stuck in the armpit of the sweatiest bastard ever. And  i don't think one person knows what a can of Sure is in Rome. That aside, it is a breathtaking city with some gorgeous fountains that are not so famous all over the place. If art is your thing, don't be shy of going in the Churches - there are original Renaissance masterpieces in pretty much every one of them!

As for accommodation, check out this site - www.greatlatedeals.co.uk

Warnings aside, I'm sure you will love it. Apart from the Liver Building at night, the Trevi Fountain at night is one of the best scenes you'll ever see. Fuck it, I think I'll go back later this year with my missus for a weekend.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline KENTY

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For All
« Reply #49 on: March 9, 2009, 07:54:16 pm »
What is the best way to get into the city centre please chaps. Just wondering because i take the other half away for her birthday in May! Been reading up and form what i can gather its either a bus or taxi?

Anyone have any thoughts on this! Any thoughts on the best locations in the city to stay in too please?

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 9, 2009, 08:34:44 pm »
What is the best way to get into the city centre please chaps. Just wondering because i take the other half away for her birthday in May! Been reading up and form what i can gather its either a bus or taxi?

Anyone have any thoughts on this! Any thoughts on the best locations in the city to stay in too please?

If you're flying into Ciampino I'd suggest Terravision or the Airport Shuttle which go from outside arrivals to Termini in about 40 minutes. From LDV there's a train I think, but I've not landed there so not 100% sure. To get back to the station you can get the Terravision or Shuttle from where they drop you off, but if you're getting the Terravision make sure you book a return ticket...actually fuck it after the fiasco I had the other week get the shuttle. Cheaper and a hell of a lot more reliable.

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 9, 2009, 09:05:51 pm »
Yeah, Terravison charge more than the shuttle bus, shuttle bus seems to run more frequently.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 9, 2009, 09:08:11 pm »
Yeah, Terravison charge more than the shuttle bus, shuttle bus seems to run more frequently.

And have representatives who don't fuck off and hide when 3 coaches fail to turn up and leave an extremely long line of incredibly angry people facing missing their plane...the shuttle bus made a lot of money that morning.

Offline covi2k2

• Kopite
  • Who's Suarez ?
    • my photy hobbies :)
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 03:57:50 pm »
Always search for a nun and cross the street with her. I can garantee you will make the other end of the road in one piece :)

Isn't it illegal since a couple of years to sit on the steps? A few years back (3 years ago I think) it was in the news that the city wanted the people off the steps. And that summer I went to Rome and indeed was send off the steps when we wanted to sit there.
Not sure if that has changed back over time..

The park where Villa Borghese is, is also a very nice place to sit (with a beer or wine).

I read in the telegraph it was only up until last October.

Cant find the article now though. Anyone else know of this ?

just got my euros - that was depressing
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:04:56 pm by covi2k2 »
There isn't a chance in hell that we'll win the league in the coming season.

My expectations are currently at 0%

www.ribsphotos.co.uk :)

Offline bigman1981

• For men
  • Legacy Fan
  • OOT wool - but just can't help loving LFC!
Anyone been to Rome?
« Reply #54 on: July 5, 2010, 10:07:03 pm »
Hi all,

I'm off to Rome at the end of the month with the wife, and was wondering if anyone on here has been before, and if so, do you know of any little hidden gems (sites, restaurants, bars etc) that aren't in the normal tourist guides?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Red Forever!!!!!

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Re: Anyone been to Rome?
« Reply #55 on: July 6, 2010, 12:17:52 am »
I've been mate but only done the touristy stuff. The catacombs are worth a visit. Trevi fountain is nice and the Pope lives there too, although I think he was out when I went.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 6, 2010, 12:27:05 am »
Go here to get away from the shite tourists.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 6, 2010, 12:41:44 am »
The Vatican is shite. Eating at Castel Sant'Angelo is nice and there's a nice view from the top of it. Great ice cream at the north end of Via del Corso, by the square. Sunset on the Spanish Steps is nice. Trastevere and Sant'Angelo are nice, old parts of the city.

Good food at most places.

Watch out for pickpocketing and keep an eye on your luggage. Keep hydrated, bottled water can be pricy though.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58 on: July 6, 2010, 02:12:41 am »
I went about five years ago, lovely city, nice reastaurants. Your have a great time
YNWA

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #59 on: July 6, 2010, 03:14:06 am »
Throw a coin at the Fontana di Trevi, just to return to Rome ;)
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #60 on: July 6, 2010, 07:41:32 am »
We just walked around all day to see what we came across, getting totally lost as we did it.  It was fantastic finding loads of good bistro's and restaurants on our travels.  Then when it was time to go back, if we did not know where we were, we would just get a taxi to bus station and go from there.  There is just so many great places that are not on the map, it is well worth it.  Then on the last day, we planned to go to any of the sights we had not already just come accross (like the Coluseum).
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: July 6, 2010, 07:58:59 am »
Take an open mind and street map.  You can cover most places by foot and defnly go searching down the little back streets.

A wonderful city and always alot to do. :)
I think I love football more than woman...

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #62 on: July 6, 2010, 09:39:06 am »
If you order the fish and they come out and show you said fish do not say "yeah, that's fine" - you'll get the whole fish and you tend to pay for it by weight.  Therefore the missus paid 45euros for basically fish and chips.  What she should have done was told them that she wanted it filleted without the head and tail etc which would have probably halved the price.

It made my holiday as she's always complaining about me frittering away cash!

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #63 on: July 6, 2010, 09:49:03 am »
The locals will also try to pinch your wife's arse, so be warned.

Offline sheff-jim

• Legacy Fan
  • Schizophrenic?! I'm bleeding Quadrophenic
« Reply #64 on: July 6, 2010, 10:00:12 am »
Been to Rome twice, never seen any of the tourist stuff. Also been to Athens twcie and never seen the Acropolis or Parthenon. Wonder why?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #65 on: July 6, 2010, 10:06:42 am »
The Vatican is shite. Eating at Castel Sant'Angelo is nice and there's a nice view from the top of it. Great ice cream at the north end of Via del Corso, by the square. Sunset on the Spanish Steps is nice. Trastevere and Sant'Angelo are nice, old parts of the city.

Good food at most places.

Watch out for pickpocketing and keep an eye on your luggage. Keep hydrated, bottled water can be pricy though.
True dat about The Vatican, the ale's warm and they don't do Manns.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #66 on: July 6, 2010, 10:59:39 am »
The locals will also try to pinch your wife's arse, so be warned.

Or if they're is footy on, will stab you in the arse...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline dutch_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 6, 2010, 12:08:18 pm »
Been there several times. Had an amazing time. Once been for two weeks, which gives enough time to go off track a bit and enjoy other things than the main tourist attractions.

I'd especially recommend two places: (See map below), one is an icecream shop and the other is an italian restaurant (I think it's called Ristorante La Rustichella ). They are both very popular with locals. It's worth to go in the evening, the piazza in front is very lively around that time with locals. Been there 5 years ago or somthing so I really hope both still exist.
The easiest way to go there is to go to the Vatican Museum, then (when facing the main entrance) walk the street to the right untill the second pair of stairs across the street. Go down there and you'll come on to a little piazza with a small church. Directly on the lest corner is the ice cream shop and about 3-5houses further is the Italian restaurant.
If you don't want Italian foor for a night you can also walk that street a bit more, pass a flower stall and got to the right, there is an amazing Chinese restaurant.

Somewhere around there is also a big market, I think it's towards that big road (Via Cipro) and than turn right at the fountain/ roundabout. Lovely fresh products (Take some fruit, balsamico, bread and ricotta cheese, take a cold white wine/beer and I assure you, you want your vacation to last another few months! :) ). A lot of locals come here to do their shopping. And if you follow that road you get to another piazza with some small shops and a market. Very authentic and you'd hardly find a tourist. Just remember that that also means hardly anyone speaks english; just use gestures and know a few words Italian and you'd be more than fine.

The town of Ostia is also very nice. Not too full (at least the times I've been) and some nice cafés at the boulevard. It might be nice to combine that with a trip to Ostia Antica, well the remains of it. Do watch out here, on a warm day it can feel here like 40+ degrees easily, so drink enough!
You can go there by train which is really not a nice way to go there (think Indian trains!) with the heat and packed with locals. But it's worth it.

In Rome, have a few hours at Villa Borghese (The park, not the house itself). Especially on warm days it's very nice there with a lot of shade, fields for picknicks and water/fountains.
SEE the second map. at the arrow is one of the foutains. You can get there by bus.

Can't think of any other tourist-free places at the moment, but if something comes up, I'll post.

Have fun! (I'm jealous!) ;)
Realism is the denial of reality
and
Imigination the means to explore reality

©Corneille

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 6, 2010, 12:13:29 pm »
Been once but many moons ago, 16 years or so.Thought it was a complete shit tip to be honest.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline bigman1981

• For men
  • Legacy Fan
  • OOT wool - but just can't help loving LFC!
« Reply #69 on: July 6, 2010, 07:08:39 pm »
Thanks for all the info people.

I'll see if I can find that restaurant Dutch Red, and if it is still there, I will make sure we eat there.

:wave
Red Forever!!!!!

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #70 on: July 6, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »
You couldnt fail to have a brilliant time. With a lot of places I would say avoid the overly touristy areas and the like. With Rome I'd probably advise to do the opposite. The Colloseum, down the Foro Romano and up to the big wedding cake at the top of the road is utterly stupendous. I'd recommend the forum at dusk and I'd recommend getting a guided tour. Ours was about 20 euro but worth while for all the stuff we learned (and subsequently forgot) but brilliant none the less.
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #71 on: July 6, 2010, 07:19:54 pm »
Yeah, went a few years back.

Was alright.

Me and my mates were 14/15 at the time and there was a few Brassers outside the window so we started to throw stuff at them and one was flashing us while the other(Fat Slag) was on her knees picking up the pennies we threw at her.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2010, 07:21:31 pm by Lethal »

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #72 on: July 6, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »
Also, watch out for Fake money cause lads who were with me when they paid for something on the street at a stall got fake notes as change.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 8, 2010, 08:31:20 pm »
One of few cities that has given me a nice, positive suprise.

Disagree with those who say the Vatican is shite. It's brilliant. I'm not religious, but I found it unique. Go there and don't rush it. Spend the better part of a day at the museum. Take the guided tour. This is the place the church built. They got the money through those letters where people paid themselves free of sin (didn't have to burn in that fire pre-heaven for as long). That was the reason the Martin Luther protested. The cathedral is the very reason for the catholics vs protestants and the wars that followed. Not your average monument.

Also, when I was there a couple of years ago in March, there were guided tours at the Colosseum. I bought my ticket just outside. Included was a free tour at the Emperor's castle and it was great.

It's a fantastic city. Only concern I'd have now is the thousands of tourists you have to compete with (so get up early!). So many things to see there, so just pick one or two things and get an overdose of culture. Then take the rest as it comes. And as always, avoid the tourist traps when you go for a meal. You'll find amazing places to eat a few blocks away from the main streets.

If you're really lucky, you can get in to the Villa... something. It's a family building (not Villa Medici, could be Botichelli, but not sure) with an outstanding art collection (da Vinci & Co). A friend of mine has been there. Can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone else in here will know about it.

EDIT: Could be Villa Borghese

Enjoy! :D
« Last Edit: July 8, 2010, 08:35:38 pm by Gnurglan »

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #74 on: July 8, 2010, 09:28:22 pm »
Been many times. Next year, I am leading a school trip of 40 girls to Rome and Pompeii, which I'm looking forward to a lot. Anyway, near St paul's Basilica, just outside the city walls, is the most fantasic little tratoria I have ever been to. I will get the address and PM it to you. Best city on earth IMO, have a fantastic time.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #75 on: July 8, 2010, 09:29:54 pm »
Been many times. Next year, I am leading a school trip of 40 girls to Rome and Pompeii, which I'm looking forward to a lot. Anyway, near St paul's Basilica, just outside the city walls, is the most fantasic little tratoria I have ever been to. I will get the address and PM it to you. Best city on earth IMO, have a fantastic time.

Pompeii was great, mind i went when i was about 12, so a fucking long time ago. Went up Vesuvius and was quite glad some craft bugger has a shop near the top.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #76 on: July 8, 2010, 10:35:56 pm »
loved rome was only there for 2 days, would absolutely go back in a heart beat!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 9, 2010, 06:04:12 am »
this is boss (top tip, cheers PP)

Depends how long you're there. There are so many sights to see but you can see almost everything in just a couple of days if you're determined. I highly recommend the Dorling Kindersley "Top 10 Rome" guide book because it's cheap and makes it really easy to pick out the best sights. One that is a bit off the usual track but is quite cool is the Capuchin Crypt.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2010, 08:56:10 am »
Been there twice in 77 and 84 for some reason.   ;)

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2010, 11:19:55 am »

Pompeii is the tourist trap but I've always preferred Herculaneum after I went there as it's better preserved than it's neighbour, especially the fresco. It's generally a bit cooler there too.

Bah, I'm jealous either way.