Author Topic: The Nintendo Wii U thread  (Read 27163 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Nintendo Wii U thread
« Reply #200 on: December 6, 2014, 11:15:56 am »
is majora's not 3ds only?

Yes it is, sadly. I have a 3DS but it's the original model and quite worse for wear.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: December 6, 2014, 11:28:14 am »
Bought the basic 8gb model from Argos yesterday for £152 and you get £10 back from them making it £142 ,bargain. Don't need the 32gb as its for the kids and us to play at Christmas so won't be downloading fuck all really.

Just missed out on a deal on Amazon for the same console plus Mario Kart 8, Mario Land 3D ,Wii U Party and Nintendo land for £199 I think it was. Just about to buy it and they sold out :( . Going to buy Kart ,Bros 2D ,Party and land separately now which will take it up to £230 ish so not too bad.

Don't play my X Box but can always find time to play a bit of Mario :D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 6, 2014, 11:32:02 am »
I'd go with Mario 3D if possible, it is a lot better than the 2D game, which is good but not great. The 3D thing is done really well, it doesn't lose the 'feel' of a classic Mario game plus the cat suit powerup makes it really easy for younger players to progress further.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: December 6, 2014, 11:51:17 am »
Zelda U gameplay video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CAE3FFJUdto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CAE3FFJUdto</a>

I don't have a Wii U but this makes me tempted..

Offline snez1

• Kopite
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers
« Reply #204 on: December 6, 2014, 11:56:08 am »
Zelda U gameplay video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CAE3FFJUdto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CAE3FFJUdto</a>

I don't have a Wii U but this makes me tempted..

Do it. Bit the bullet myself last week. Totally worth it. Only have Mario Kart and the 2D Mario game (it was £11 on shopto) so far and both are excellent. Will be picking up Wind Waker HD this Xmas and maybe Smash Bros and the 3D Mario title. Star Fox and a new Zelda next year on the way too so the line up of top quality games is decent especially when compared to Xbox and PS4. Cheaper too. That Zelda game can't come quickly enough!

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 6, 2014, 12:33:50 pm »
I'd go with Mario 3D if possible, it is a lot better than the 2D game, which is good but not great. The 3D thing is done really well, it doesn't lose the 'feel' of a classic Mario game plus the cat suit powerup makes it really easy for younger players to progress further.
I like both on the daughters 3DS so going to get the 2D one first as its cheaper ;) then move onto the 3D one after that. That Amazon deal would of been perfect because another £15 on top of the £200 and I could of had the whole lot :(

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: December 6, 2014, 12:43:06 pm »
I like both on the daughters 3DS so going to get the 2D one first as its cheaper ;) then move onto the 3D one after that. That Amazon deal would of been perfect because another £15 on top of the £200 and I could of had the whole lot :(

Gutting when you miss out on a package deal isn't it. I got mine on ebay in May, spent ages watching different sets and in the end it was so close to the Mario Kart release date I just couldn't wait any longer and just bought whichever was ending soonest!

Spent this morning connecting a new hard drive to it and copying everything across as I've filled the 32gb easily. Mainly because I got a download copy of Bayonetta 1 & 2 and they've used up all the space. Stupid but it seems companies prefer review copies to be digital now, a shame as I used to make my money selling off review copies when I was done with them as lord knows you get paid less than a thank you for actually doing the bloody reviews.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: December 6, 2014, 12:50:48 pm »
Gutting when you miss out on a package deal isn't it. I got mine on ebay in May, spent ages watching different sets and in the end it was so close to the Mario Kart release date I just couldn't wait any longer and just bought whichever was ending soonest!

Spent this morning connecting a new hard drive to it and copying everything across as I've filled the 32gb easily. Mainly because I got a download copy of Bayonetta 1 & 2 and they've used up all the space. Stupid but it seems companies prefer review copies to be digital now, a shame as I used to make my money selling off review copies when I was done with them as lord knows you get paid less than a thank you for actually doing the bloody reviews.
I know ,well pissed off I didn't go for it earlier.

8gb will be fine for us hopefully as I only buy the games from the shop so should be only game saves taking up the memory.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: December 6, 2014, 03:32:20 pm »
Quick question ,is the big controller good to use for Mario Kart and Bros or do I need to be getting 4 separate normal controllers to play these games. Also I have 2 of the non-motion sensor ones from the old Wii that I can use ,are they ok for these/most games or do I need the newer motion sensor ones ?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: December 6, 2014, 03:58:04 pm »
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker looks quite good. From the same team who did the galaxy games
STFU and agree with me.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: December 7, 2014, 08:53:09 am »
Quick question ,is the big controller good to use for Mario Kart and Bros or do I need to be getting 4 separate normal controllers to play these games. Also I have 2 of the non-motion sensor ones from the old Wii that I can use ,are they ok for these/most games or do I need the newer motion sensor ones ?

The Gamepad is fine to use for Mario (added bonus - you can tap the screen to either impede enemies or build extra platforms), I did find it a bit heavy for extended Mario Kart use though, switched to a Wii U Pro Controller.

The non-motion plus Wii Remotes are fine for use with both Mario and Mario Kart - you will need the nunchuk attachments for the latter I think, but that was my favoured setup for Mario Kart on the Wii so that should be a pretty good way to play.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker looks quite good. From the same team who did the galaxy games

I loved the Captain Toad minigames in 3D World that it's based on, looks a solid expansion on that concept. I'll be getting it.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: December 7, 2014, 09:30:16 pm »

The Gamepad is fine to use for Mario (added bonus - you can tap the screen to either impede enemies or build extra platforms), I did find it a bit heavy for extended Mario Kart use though, switched to a Wii U Pro Controller.

The non-motion plus Wii Remotes are fine for use with both Mario and Mario Kart - you will need the nunchuk attachments for the latter I think, but that was my favoured setup for Mario Kart on the Wii so that should be a pretty good way to play.

I loved the Captain Toad minigames in 3D World that it's based on, looks a solid expansion on that concept. I'll be getting it.

Always used the controller in the wheel on the old wheel so might have to go for that as it will feel weird otherwise ,looked into it some more and I think you can use the controllers by themselves and with the nunchuck. Never even tried it with them before so will give that a go as I'm intrigued to how well it will work.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »
Thinking about getting one of these, can get it for £17 a month over 11 months with Captain Toad.

Is it worth paying just over £200 (interest included,) for?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2015, 04:21:06 pm »
Thinking about getting one of these, can get it for £17 a month over 11 months with Captain Toad.

Is it worth paying just over £200 (interest included,) for?

Personal opinion, but I would say no if it's just for yourself. Yes if it's for you and a kid. there's a load of cracking games out there to play with kids. Although there is a few games I really enjoyed playing, I don't think they justify the price on their own.
There's loads of Mario games that are brilliant. Plenty of Lego games, but they're obviously available on other consoles. My lad has a fuckton of other games that I've never played, but he loves it. Depends really what type of games you are looking to play.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2015, 04:21:59 pm »

That's cheating  :D

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2015, 08:20:41 pm »
Personal opinion, but I would say no if it's just for yourself. Yes if it's for you and a kid. there's a load of cracking games out there to play with kids. Although there is a few games I really enjoyed playing, I don't think they justify the price on their own.
There's loads of Mario games that are brilliant. Plenty of Lego games, but they're obviously available on other consoles. My lad has a fuckton of other games that I've never played, but he loves it. Depends really what type of games you are looking to play.

to be honest mate, i'm looking at it for myself mainly but it's something the GF can play aswell, will be getting super smash bros, mario world, the new zelda ect (still haven't played a zelda game! never even started one! :o) and zombiU.

Actually looking forward to getting it.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2015, 09:23:50 pm »
I just don't get Smash Bros, it just seems like a load of button mashing to me.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2015, 09:44:32 pm »

You're not on your own. I've played it twice with my lad for about 5 minutes each time. Both times, I just gave up as I had literally no idea what was going on.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:18 pm »

It can be, me and a mate had a go the other day on the DS though and because we'd learnt some moves, it became quite a tactical game, knowing when to hit and when to block, when to dodge, which moves to use at what time ect.

Great to let some anger out on to.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2015, 09:47:06 pm »
Loving this to be honest.

Came with Captain Toad which is boss to waste some time on, really tricky little puzzler in places.

Super Mario Bros U is the typical mario game although still challenging, Super Smash is awesome and i've yet to try ZombiU.

Can't wait to pick up zelda when it comes out and Hyrule Warriors next month, along with MK8

Offline Moley

• Virgin, apparently...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice to mole you....I mean meet you
« Reply #220 on: February 3, 2015, 03:35:00 pm »
Apparantly these are selling in store at tesco for 85 quid.

Kinda want one, but only recently bought a ps4 and got a 3ds yesterday.

Guessing there isn't a similar way to play "homebrew"  games on the wii u like you can the 3ds?
BETFAIR REFERRAL CODE:  6GRRJ3CQV

Money for me and you!!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 3, 2015, 04:53:59 pm »
no, you used to be able to hack the VWii virtual console to play Wii games but that was about the height of it, not sure if it can still be done or not, i had it done a while back but once i finished the Mario Galaxy games i lost interest in it.

one drawback with it was that you needed specfic games to run the exploit required
STFU and agree with me.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2015, 02:27:01 pm »
Just about to crack open Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, whoop! Been looking forward to this since SM3DW.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2015, 02:34:45 pm »
Anyone played Monster Hunter 3 on this?
Worth picking up?

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2015, 01:30:21 pm »
Finally got one this week. Mario Kart is beautiful
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2015, 01:46:14 pm »
Mario Kart is beautiful

I love it but my Wii U hates it, keeps crashing on me :( sent the Wii U in for repairs and they couldn't find the problem, changed my disc version for download at the cost of an extra £20 and still a bit buggered. Can do online but can't do Grand Prix tournaments without system error popping up every three races. Always when you've won the first three and then it crashes before the fourth  >:(

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2015, 01:51:05 pm »
I love it but my Wii U hates it, keeps crashing on me :( sent the Wii U in for repairs and they couldn't find the problem, changed my disc version for download at the cost of an extra £20 and still a bit buggered. Can do online but can't do Grand Prix tournaments without system error popping up every three races. Always when you've won the first three and then it crashes before the fourth  >:(

Did that happen immediately? Haven't had any problems so far
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2015, 02:06:58 pm »
Did that happen immediately? Haven't had any problems so far

It was fine for a few months, then the problems started - possibly linked with an update - I tried deleting the data and starting again, no luck, different copies of the game, installing it in different places, nada. I wouldn't worry, it seems to be a very niche problem as far as I can tell, possibly related to the fact my Wii U is quite old now, bought it second hand last May and they'd had it a while so it could be one of the very first few European ones.

Only thing I've found online was that it might be related to the flash chips they use in the system memory, people with similar problems have had them replaced and it has fixed it. I'm loathe to lose save games again though, already nearly won all cups three times now!

I just don't want to be without my Wii U as I occasionally review games on it and can't just abandon it for three weeks again. Mind you, I wonder if next time I ring Nintendo about the problem I drop the fact I review for a national newspaper on them, they might reconsider how quickly they turn it around. Got to be worth a go.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2015, 02:55:41 pm »
Just about to crack open Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, whoop! Been looking forward to this since SM3DW.

First time in this thread for a while. Haven't even heard of Captain Toad until now, checked it out on YouTube and it looks lovely, SM Galaxy 2 is one of my all time favourites, and this looks to have been made by the same team.

Actually, if I had to choose a next-gen console to buy at the moment, it would probably be the WiiU, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, the usual Mario games, Zelda, Bayonetta, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, etc. Quite a turnaround for Nintendo, it looked like the WiiU would be a massive fail at the start :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:12:47 pm by IanZG »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2015, 03:00:41 pm »
Actually, if I had to choose a next-gen console to buy at the moment, it would probably be the WiiU, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, the usualy Mario games, Zelda, Bayonetta, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, etc. Quite a turnaround for Nintendo, it looked like the WiiU would be a massive fail at the start :)

Yeah Nintendo don't half do things in a backwards fashion sometimes, they refuse to compete on a graphical level, online limitations on chat etc., but their games are just so so good. I loved last generation Sony and MS but got a bit tired of the grim grey and brown palette of most games, and the overly serious 'We're telling a grown up story' thing which is all very well when it's the Last of Us but rather less so in Prototype 2 or whatever.

I'm really enjoying Captain Toad, also looking forward to Splatoon and especially Yoshi's Wooly World as I'm a massive Yoshi fanboy - and a massive wool come to think of it ;D

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2015, 03:02:42 pm »
I'd hammer you all on Mario Karts ,fact.

Offline snez1

• Kopite
« Reply #231 on: March 1, 2015, 07:40:54 pm »
Anyone got Smash Bros on Wii U? It's £30 on shopto at the moment and I'm quite tempted....

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #232 on: March 1, 2015, 08:14:15 pm »
Anyone got Smash Bros on Wii U? It's £30 on shopto at the moment and I'm quite tempted....

Managed to get it for £25 from granger games. It was down as pre-owned but the game came with an unused Nintendo reward pin so to me it's brand new.

The game is everything you expect it to be. It's ok when you're on your own but comes alive when you're playing online or with mates

Offline snez1

• Kopite
« Reply #233 on: March 1, 2015, 08:22:46 pm »
I only played Smash on the 64 for a little bit back in the day but the price and the fact that there appears to be a lot of single player content as well as the obvious multi-player stuff appeals. How is online?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: March 1, 2015, 08:59:47 pm »

Got it in grainger for £25 like gazza, it's brilliant with mates/online, challenging on your own.

Offline snez1

• Kopite
« Reply #235 on: March 1, 2015, 09:20:50 pm »
Sounds good. Says it's 35 used on grainger. Never used that site before.

It's basically a toss up between Wind Waker HD and Smash. Smash being cheaper and a multi-player has me currently thinking hard...hmmm...
« Last Edit: March 1, 2015, 09:24:27 pm by snez1 »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2015, 07:30:41 am »
Zelda delayed til 2016, big surprise. Nintendo, SMH.

Offline snez1

• Kopite
« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2015, 02:59:56 pm »
Think it may end up as a launch title for the NX now or even cross platform like Twilight Princess. It sucks but can't help but admire the fact they have delayed it. Rushing it out would really have helped the Wii U this year but they just hate putting out games that aren't finished or what they want. As frustrating as it is I'd take that every time over broken games with patch after patch.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: March 28, 2015, 03:21:43 pm »
they've delayed every major Zelda game they've made so it's not really a shock
STFU and agree with me.

Offline snez1

• Kopite
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2015, 03:40:51 pm »
True. It'll be a shame if it comes out only on Wii U near the end of it's cycle though. That happened to Skyward Sword and sales suffered, not that it was that great anyway. Ocarina got delayed so many times back in the day. It was frustrating but ultimately well worth the wait given what they produced.