Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2940740 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #30520 on: Yesterday at 01:45:47 pm »
Down to him, if he wants to be here, he signs up, if he does not it's down to the new team to make a decision
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #30521 on: Yesterday at 01:52:48 pm »
Down to him, if he wants to be here, he signs up, if he does not it's down to the new team to make a decision

In a way, Klopp has reminded me of something, it is always good to leave on a high or as he says "in a good moment" than to know you are running out of energy and your quality is dropping, if he does leave this summer, it will still be with great numbers as one of the best ever for us... if he leaves next summer, I just hope Slot can reignite some fire in his belly which to me seems to have been lost recently.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30522 on: Yesterday at 02:24:12 pm »
I see no less motivation.
This is a lazy comment when a player team is struggling.
He very simply has lost a lot of confidence in front of goal as has Diaz & Nunez.
I am sure it will come back

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #30523 on: Yesterday at 02:24:59 pm »
Whether Salah can playa role in the team going forward is hard question and why we pay millions for a manager, however it is clear he can't play the same role wide on the right , particularly if we don't have an attacking right back overlapping him. While he can still hold the ball up and has great control and passing, the lack of pace 1v1 means that every full back gets tight to him compared to backing off and giving him space a couple of season ago, and even if Salah makes good runs they are able to recover and get back to him, I would speculate if this is effecting his confidence a little causing him to rush shots etc.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #30524 on: Yesterday at 02:49:25 pm »
Agreed
The missed lob vs Atalanta was evidence of this - feeling a defender breathing down your neck and you snatch
2 yrs ago he has much more time and space, and everything gets easier

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #30525 on: Yesterday at 02:55:26 pm »
I see no less motivation.
This is a lazy comment when a player team is struggling.
He very simply has lost a lot of confidence in front of goal as has Diaz & Nunez.
I am sure it will come back

He has lost two players that play alongside him for years that were on his level. There was a pass in the second half with the outside of his boot that set up Gakpo basically in front of goal and he didn't do much with it. Bobby would have buried it. There's been many instances of that this season where Mo's numbers would have been better had better passes been made to him or if more chances he set up were put away.

That's no sleight on the others to say they are not at the level of two of the best players to play for us in Firmino and Mane, but their quality hasn't been replaced with Jota the only one who comes close (if not on par). It's a shame he has missed so much of the season.

I hope Salah extends. He's the only real superstar quality we have up front, and we really need to add more.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30526 on: Yesterday at 02:56:22 pm »
His finishing wasn't the best yesterday but I thought he looked good. He even did an old school cut in on to his left before twatting it which he's been criticised for not doing any more.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30527 on: Yesterday at 02:57:59 pm »
I also wouldnt mind if he stays. He's not as good as he used to be, but he hasnt fallen off a cliff like Henderson or Fabinho.

13 non-penalty goals, and 10 assists, from 2534 mins is still a goal or assist every 110 mins.   That is still world class, and top 5-10 in the league easily

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30528 on: Yesterday at 03:07:45 pm »
He has lost two players that play alongside him for years that were on his level. There was a pass in the second half with the outside of his boot that set up Gakpo basically in front of goal and he didn't do much with it. Bobby would have buried it. There's been many instances of that this season where Mo's numbers would have been better had better passes been made to him or if more chances he set up were put away.

That's no sleight on the others to say they are not at the level of two of the best players to play for us in Firmino and Mane, but their quality hasn't been replaced with Jota the only one who comes close (if not on par). It's a shame he has missed so much of the season.

I hope Salah extends. He's the only real superstar quality we have up front, and we really need to add more.

Bobby was not a prolific goal scorer.  He often under-performed his xG - 4 of the 6 seasons fbref have xG data on he did; as did Mane who also underperformed in 4 of his 6 seasons.  Salah was always the main goal scorer.  Nunez, from a goals + assists standpoint, *IS* 100% "to the same standard" in terms of numbers - 2047 mins, 11 goals and 8 assists, so one every 108 mins.  Mane has *never* was that good - his best season was 18 goals and 7 assists from 2747 mins, or one every 110; and averaged one every 134 mins.  Firmino averaged one every 140 mins, with only one season better than one every 110 (his freakish last season, with 11 goals and 4 assists, at one every 81).

Mane obviously played less centrally, and tracked back supporting Robbo brilliantly (I think Nunez has shown this season a decent improvement in this) and Bobby was more creative and stitched play together better than anyone obviously.  But it is simply untrue to say that, from an attacking standpoint, that they were both a level "better" than Nunez, at least from objective statistics.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:10:04 pm by Scottymuser »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30529 on: Yesterday at 03:10:51 pm »
His finishing wasn't the best yesterday but I thought he looked good. He even did an old school cut in on to his left before twatting it which he's been criticised for not doing any more.

That was a great save, thought it was in
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30530 on: Yesterday at 08:42:53 pm »
https://x.com/MoSalah/status/1792641666521723388

We know that trophies are what count and we will do everything possible to make that happen next season. Our fans deserve it and we will fight like hell.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30531 on: Yesterday at 08:47:46 pm »
Mo staying then, move him up top.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30532 on: Yesterday at 08:54:59 pm »
Great stuff.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30533 on: Yesterday at 08:56:02 pm »
Mo staying then, move him up top.

Play him in the now defunct no.10 position, he's one of the best playmakers in the league.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30534 on: Yesterday at 09:18:37 pm »
That was a great save, thought it was in

Beautiful save, matched the quality of the shot as he was blinded to it. Really impressed with Sa every time I see him

Mo might be one of the ones to benefit most by a change in manager, he needs to adapt his game at this point and a fresh point of view will only help that I feel
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30535 on: Yesterday at 09:27:43 pm »
Beautiful save, matched the quality of the shot as he was blinded to it. Really impressed with Sa every time I see him

Mo might be one of the ones to benefit most by a change in manager, he needs to adapt his game at this point and a fresh point of view will only help that I feel

Yes he's a really good keeper is Sa.

Yeah sometimes a new manager just tweaks things and players benefit
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30536 on: Yesterday at 09:29:13 pm »
Our top scorer and assister in the PL. Keep.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30537 on: Yesterday at 09:30:23 pm »
Our top scorer and assister in the PL. Keep.

he's not a keeper. he's a striker, winger, and sort of midfielder.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #30538 on: Yesterday at 09:42:23 pm »

Wonderful effort by Mo. Very little backlift, and it took a great save to stop it.

Just saying in the transfer thread, we have been slow in our play from midfield over the past two seasons. The pressing machine it is not, and too often it takes so long for the ball to get forward that the opposition defence is set, penalty area is congested, making it very difficult for the forwards. Nunez in his two years here has yet to play in a side that is at full power, winning the ball high and putting the forwards in quickly, closer to goal and with defences scrambling. At West Ham for example, we had 28 shots, yet very few were clear cut chances. We need to be more athletic in midfield, pressing faster, and setting the forwards through with space to run into. Slot is big on this apparently and if he can implement this (helped by one or two key signings) that will only be beneficial to the forwards.

Just picked up on this:

3. On his pressing philosophy
“We always want to create a surplus around the ball, both offensively and defensively so that we can lock down the opponent and immediately move forward. We always have to press the ball aggressively when we are outnumbered. That is why our defenders must be as high as possible on the field, so that we can win the ball in the opponent’s half and immediately launch a counter-attack.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/05/20/arne-slot-liverpool-manager-contract-signed-key-players/

That is music to the ears for any forward. We were at our best offensively between 2018 to 2022 as we pressed the life out of teams and put the forwards through in space. Had Nunez been in that side I think we would have seen a different player (he looked it at Benfica, including against us). We have been too slow since then.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:55:06 pm by KC7 »

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #30539 on: Yesterday at 10:44:59 pm »
https://x.com/MoSalah/status/1792641666521723388

We know that trophies are what count and we will do everything possible to make that happen next season. Our fans deserve it and we will fight like hell.
Not putting much value on the Caraboa cup...

Offline faisfais

• Kopite
« Reply #30540 on: Yesterday at 11:28:37 pm »
Not putting much value on the Caraboa cup...

Glad to know I was not the only one who felt that way! I love the League Cup :)