Author Topic: UK GE and Local Elections, plus polls, and policy.  (Read 42016 times)

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: UK General Election 24/25?
« Reply #280 on: March 1, 2024, 09:28:06 am »
The most amazing feature of the Rochdale result was this bloke David Tully. An independent candidate, no political experience, no organisation, no canvass and he came a close second. I'd never heard of him until this morning. Anyone know what he stood for?

Not sure, but I'd like to see more independents come to the fore (campaigning on local issues), although FPTP makes it a thankless task and difficult to retain your deposit. You get them more in council elections where they stand a chance of winning.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: March 1, 2024, 09:30:32 am »
Not sure, but I'd like to see more independents come to the fore (campaigning on local issues), although FPTP makes it a thankless task and difficult to retain your deposit. You get them more in council elections where they stand a chance of winning.
Come the GE, I'd like to see Labour get behind an independent Tully. I'd like to see far more pragmatism in forming alliances and agreements with candidates and Parties outside of the Labour Party.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: March 1, 2024, 09:33:07 am »
On the flip side, this result could be a blessing in disguise. The complacency you allude to has just been doused in a bucket of ice water. I reckon every candidate going up at the next election is going to have their twitter thoroughly dissected and reviewed.

Grand Admiral Thrawn once said an error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. Labour have had their warning.

The Tories are going to fight very dirty against Labour in the next election. They know they'll lose anyway but it's a question of scale. All their seats are potentially up for grabs and they need to minimise the damage.

Labour will need a pact with Lib Dems/Greens in seats, although the likes of Galloway will try and split their vote. Tories are more bothered about Reform splitting theirs but they've been unconvincing in these by-elections, they've not got people out to vote like that twat Galloway has. It will suit Labour if Reform can build a bit more momentum and get a higher share of the vote.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: March 1, 2024, 09:34:15 am »
Come the GE, I'd like to see Labour get behind an independent Tully. I'd like to see far more pragmatism in forming alliances and agreements with candidates and Parties outside of the Labour Party.

Ideally, but it'll never happen without voting reform which Labour have no interest in backing as long as they can win majorities under FPTP.  The bigger their majority the less interest Labour will have in alliances which was what happened in '97 - Labour were open to alliances with Lib Dems under Ashdown but the scale of their majority threw that away.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 1, 2024, 09:39:51 am »
This is the issue with this by-election. Trying to parachute people into safe seats has come back on them.

The bloke has been a Labour councillor for years and was awarded an OBE Its not fair to suggest he was parachuted in

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #285 on: March 1, 2024, 09:54:44 am »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #286 on: March 1, 2024, 10:39:05 am »
Massive win for Galloway in Rochdale.

George Galloway: 39.7% (12,335)
David Tully: 21.3% (6,638)
Tory: 12% (3,731)
Labour: 7.7% (2,402)
Lib Dem: 7% (2,164)
Reform: 6.3% (1,968)
Green: 1.4% (436)

Turnout 39.7%.

Rochdale voters

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #287 on: March 1, 2024, 10:48:23 am »
He had a chance of winning before Azhar Ali was dropped by Labour.  Labours foreign policy is where GG sensed blood.
The Azhar Ali fiasco was a leg up to the winners podium

Didn't Labour stop campaigning about a month ago and wasn't it general knowledge that Labour wasn't standing?

So Labour voters literally had no one to vote for?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: March 1, 2024, 10:54:59 am »
Damn, Galloway chills me to the bone.  I'd wager he cares less about the lives being lost in Palestine than anyone else in the country, he just looks devoid of any of the human emotions you would expect when he talks about them.  Same as when he talks about Iraq.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #289 on: March 1, 2024, 10:56:47 am »
My favourite part from last night, was the Reform candidate leaving before the results were announced and complaing about racism.

Probably getting off to text a few underage girls .. allegedly

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #290 on: March 1, 2024, 11:00:57 am »
Democracy and universal suffrage - crucial to one another. Education - tragically, in very short supply.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 1, 2024, 11:22:56 am »
Far right/left over the Moon today. bit of luck the country might be distracted away from the damage the Torys have done for many more months to come.
Galloway will work with other far left to take over the local council now, it's only a matter of how well they do. we will have to wait and see but he's already making arguments that Enoch Powell would have pounced on. the winners in all this will be the far right.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #292 on: March 1, 2024, 11:24:14 am »

Labour will need a pact with Lib Dems/Greens in seats, although the likes of Galloway will try and split their vote. Tories are more bothered about Reform splitting theirs but they've been unconvincing in these by-elections, they've not got people out to vote like that twat Galloway has. It will suit Labour if Reform can build a bit more momentum and get a higher share of the vote.

Labour are 20 points or so ahead in most polls, why do they need a pact with anyone? And Galloway has won a seat after 6 or 7 attempts in very unique circumstances, so he certainly shouldn’t be keeping anyone at Labour HQ up at night, he’s a distraction and nothing more.

As far as I am concerned Labour should be aiming to smash them all, Tories, Lib Dems, Greens, Galloway Mob, the lot of them.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #293 on: March 1, 2024, 11:24:53 am »
Massive win for Galloway in Rochdale.

George Galloway: 39.7% (12,335)
David Tully: 21.3% (6,638)
Tory: 12% (3,731)
Labour: 7.7% (2,402)
Lib Dem: 7% (2,164)
Reform: 6.3% (1,968)
Green: 1.4% (436)

Turnout 39.7%.

This is a perfect example of where the voting system needs to change.  Not because GG won, but because of the small proportion of the electorate who could be arsed to vote only 40% of voted for him.  60% voted for someone else, so he doesn't represent 60% of the people who voted.  I'd wager the same is true in at least 50% of the seats in a general election, so any government is not representative of the people.

That said, I don't have a suggestion for a better system.  Though I do like the Australian method that it's compulsory to vote and "none of the above" is an option.  I don't know what they do when none of the above wins a seat though.

TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: March 1, 2024, 11:33:27 am »
Didn't Labour stop campaigning about a month ago and wasn't it general knowledge that Labour wasn't standing?

So Labour voters literally had no one to vote for?

Its true there was no realistic option to vote Labour.  Rochdale has a significant Muslim population, Muslims are pissed off with Labour as are others.  That doesnt automatically mean that GG would win, but it certainly gave him  a chance.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 1, 2024, 11:37:32 am »
Labour are 20 points or so ahead in most polls, why do they need a pact with anyone? And Galloway has won a seat after 6 or 7 attempts in very unique circumstances, so he certainly shouldn’t be keeping anyone at Labour HQ up at night, he’s a distraction and nothing more.

As far as I am concerned Labour should be aiming to smash them all, Tories, Lib Dems, Greens, Galloway Mob, the lot of them.

Just in terms of various Tory seats because the Tories ultimately have a sizeable majority. Labour don't want to miss out on scores of seats because they've split the vote with the Lib Dems and the Tory clings on.

However, what seems overlooked at the minute is how irrelevant the Lib Dems are. They don't seem to get a mention. What they tend to do is win voters in Tory areas who can't bring themselves to vote Labour.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 1, 2024, 11:44:20 am »
This is a perfect example of where the voting system needs to change.  Not because GG won, but because of the small proportion of the electorate who could be arsed to vote only 40% of voted for him.  60% voted for someone else, so he doesn't represent 60% of the people who voted.  I'd wager the same is true in at least 50% of the seats in a general election, so any government is not representative of the people.

That said, I don't have a suggestion for a better system.  Though I do like the Australian method that it's compulsory to vote and "none of the above" is an option.  I don't know what they do when none of the above wins a seat though.
I mean this was a by election for one seat. Don't think there's another way you could do it even in a PR system? Other than mandatory to vote like you suggest

to be honest one of the advantages of FPTP is it does a good job of keeping the extreme fringe parties out so not sure how relevant this result is to that
« Last Edit: March 1, 2024, 11:46:16 am by B0151? »

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: March 1, 2024, 11:47:56 am »
Its true there was no realistic option to vote Labour.  Rochdale has a significant Muslim population, Muslims are pissed off with Labour as are others.  That doesnt automatically mean that GG would win, but it certainly gave him  a chance.

And as there was no realistic option to vote Labour, strong Labour voters just didn't vote.  2019, Rochdale had a lowish turnout of 60.1% - and still 16k more people voted than yesterday.  I don't think it would by unfair to assume that the majority of those 16k people would have voted Labour, as well as the 6.6k votes for Tully - it is entirely disingenuous to repeat Galloways lie that yesterday was a referendum on Starmer and the Labour Party, and that the vote "spells disaster" for them. Last time, over 24k people voted for Labour - more than Galloway, Tully, Ali and Donaldson *put together* - it is simply that Galloway campaigned veryt well after Ali's comments were brought to light, and Labour instead of backing Mr Tulley, just pulled out completely and did nothing.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #298 on: March 1, 2024, 11:51:18 am »
Probably getting off to text a few underage girls .. allegedly

Quite a journey the Reform guy's been on!

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 1, 2024, 11:54:31 am »

Quite a journey the Reform guy's been on!

What's his story?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #300 on: March 1, 2024, 11:59:51 am »
And as there was no realistic option to vote Labour, strong Labour voters just didn't vote.  2019, Rochdale had a lowish turnout of 60.1% - and still 16k more people voted than yesterday.  I don't think it would by unfair to assume that the majority of those 16k people would have voted Labour, as well as the 6.6k votes for Tully - it is entirely disingenuous to repeat Galloways lie that yesterday was a referendum on Starmer and the Labour Party, and that the vote "spells disaster" for them. Last time, over 24k people voted for Labour - more than Galloway, Tully, Ali and Donaldson *put together* - it is simply that Galloway campaigned veryt well after Ali's comments were brought to light, and Labour instead of backing Mr Tulley, just pulled out completely and did nothing.

Already seeing things on SM saying Starmer is finished and this is the beginning of a wave that will sweep the Red Tories and Blairites out of the Party. A new beginning for the real Labour with Corbyn at the helm.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: March 1, 2024, 12:01:09 pm »
What's his story?
The most amazing feature of the Rochdale result was this bloke David Tully. An independent candidate, no political experience, no organisation, no canvass and he came a close second. I'd never heard of him until this morning. Anyone know what he stood for?
I just found a bit of information about Tully and his platform:

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/elections/election-pitch/1743/david-tully

I think you'll like him, Yorky.

It is a pity that he did not have more backing - he might just have won.
;)
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: March 1, 2024, 12:03:06 pm »
Already seeing things on SM saying Starmer is finished and this is the beginning of a wave that will sweep the Red Tories and Blairites out of the Party. A new beginning for the real Labour with Corbyn at the helm.
::)

Some surely know this is bollocks. But I suspect a high proportion of them are so delusional that they believe this.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: March 1, 2024, 12:07:51 pm »

I dont think it spells disaster for Starmer either, the Tories are far too hated and Starmer is the tool to get rid of them.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #304 on: March 1, 2024, 12:08:02 pm »
::)

Some surely know this is bollocks. But I suspect a high proportion of them are so delusional that they believe this.

Something to do with Andrew Murray - didn't he want Galloway back into the party when Corbyn was around?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 1, 2024, 12:10:57 pm »
You would think Andy would know better, yes.
Oh. Andy actually believes this!? Joke? I thought Andy was just reporting on insanity from social media.

Andy, please tell me it ain't so? :-X

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: March 1, 2024, 12:12:50 pm »
Something to do with Andrew Murray - didn't he want Galloway back into the party when Corbyn was around?

Anyone who thinks that will happen has been on the loopy deuce

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #307 on: March 1, 2024, 12:13:25 pm »
Oh. Andy actually believes this!? Joke? I thought Andy was just reporting on insanity from social media.

Andy, please tell me it ain't so? :-X

No I don't believe it :D

I don't get much far-left lunacy on my feeds any more. I've blocked most of them, but the odd one still gets through. Guess those still subscribed will know where it came from?

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 1, 2024, 12:16:51 pm »

Yeah he did.

Galloway is and always has been the spiritual leader of that lot. King of the fucking grifters. The epitome of the horseshoe theory. Spent the 90s tugging off Saddam Hussein, the last few years being pally with Bannon, Griffin etc.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: March 1, 2024, 12:21:55 pm »
No I don't believe it :D

I don't get much far-left lunacy on my feeds any more. I've blocked most of them, but the odd one still gets through. Guess those still subscribed will know where it came from?
Good to hear that, Andy. ;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: March 1, 2024, 12:41:11 pm »
What's his story?

Simon Danczuk. Former Labour MP for Rochdale (2010-2017), before that a local Labour councillor and worked with Labour HQ on policy. Seen as a Blairite and was very outspoken against Corbyn. Best known for his work helping to expose Cyril Smith as the evil paedophile he was, and campaigned to get more politically-connected paedos identified (think it was him who, whilst under Parliamentary Privilege, publicly named Leon Brittan). Married to the lovely Karen, but claims marriage was collapsing by 2015 - and that's when he was found to be sexting a 17 year old. Deselected as Labour candidate, he ran as an independent in 2017.

To then turn up as candidate for the Reform nutters now was a surprise.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: March 1, 2024, 12:46:47 pm »
What's his story?
Sorry. I thought you were asking about Tully again.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: March 1, 2024, 12:51:04 pm »

Simon Danczuk. Former Labour MP for Rochdale (2010-2017), before that a local Labour councillor and worked with Labour HQ on policy. Seen as a Blairite and was very outspoken against Corbyn. Best known for his work helping to expose Cyril Smith as the evil paedophile he was, and campaigned to get more politically-connected paedos identified (think it was him who, whilst under Parliamentary Privilege, publicly named Leon Brittan). Married to the lovely Karen, but claims marriage was collapsing by 2015 - and that's when he was found to be sexting a 17 year old. Deselected as Labour candidate, he ran as an independent in 2017.

typical centrist, ending up on the far right  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: March 1, 2024, 12:55:13 pm »
typical centrist, ending up on the far right  ;D

Was a centrist but outed himself as a far right c*nt by texting a 17 year old. Thats definitely far right behaviour.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: March 1, 2024, 12:59:11 pm »

Of course. I'd forgotten it was him.

Bloody good that he did so badly.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 1, 2024, 01:17:17 pm »
What I meant was, Andy should know better than to post bollox.  Trying to be funny  ;)

Galloway won, cause Labour didn't run a candidate, it's as simple as that.  There will be some peed off muslims, though, and it may cost them a couple of seats, at the next GE.  They will still win, though.
:thumbup

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: March 1, 2024, 01:24:28 pm »
Galloway is and always has been the spiritual leader of that lot. King of the fucking grifters. The epitome of the horseshoe theory. Spent the 90s tugging off Saddam Hussein, the last few years being pally with Bannon, Griffin etc.

The curious thing with Galloway is that, in the 1970's & 80's, he was a big critic of Hussein and that regime, condemning their slaughter and oppression of the Kurds amongst other things. And spoke in support of Iraqi leftist opposition groups.

And then, as if flicking a switch, he flipped and began to be a huge supporter of Hussein and his regime, and openly condemning the leftist opposition groups.

Why?

The 1st Gulf War is why.

In the 80's, Iraq and Hussein were [loose] allies of the US, who had helped arm and fund their war with [sworn enemy of Uncle Sam] Iran. So, in Galloway's eyes, Hussein was a stooge of Washington and therefore someone to be hated.

When Hussein's Iraq invaded even stronger US ally Kuwait and the US declared war on Iraq, Galloway flipped. Iraq was an enemy of the US; had stood up to Uncle Sam (well, very briefly), so Iraq and Hussein became George's buddies.

It really is that simple with Galloway.

I mean, I'm a frequent critic of the US, and have studied how their foreign policy has caused or prolonged wars, kept evil and murderous dictators in power, toppled legitimate governments that didn't adhere to US business interests, arm & fund terrorist groups... overall leading directly to the loss of literally millions of innocent lives. I think their claim to be some protector of democracy is utter tripe. And they've used their influence in the IMF/World Bank to force countries into privatising utilities and opening natural resources to foreign exploitation (that US companies are usually at the forefront of to take over and milk for profit)

And yet I'll judge each act of the US on its individual merit and acknowledge that sometimes the US can be right and justified in its actions.

I'm 52 and about 40 years past the phase of 'the enemy of mine enemy is my friend' (substitute 'mine enemy' for 'the USA' in the case of Galloway)

I also won't slavishly defend any regime or group for any action simply because they are (or, as is usually the case, claim to be for political reasons, despite not really being) leftist.

With Galloway, it's always reduced to a really juvenile and simplistic anti-USA equation.

And, over time, he's adapted that to work a big grift into it.

« Last Edit: March 1, 2024, 01:26:53 pm by Nobby Reserve »

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 1, 2024, 02:01:59 pm »

The curious thing with Galloway is that, in the 1970's & 80's, he was a big critic of Hussein and that regime, condemning their slaughter and oppression of the Kurds amongst other things. And spoke in support of Iraqi leftist opposition groups.

And then, as if flicking a switch, he flipped and began to be a huge supporter of Hussein and his regime, and openly condemning the leftist opposition groups.

Why?

The 1st Gulf War is why.

In the 80's, Iraq and Hussein were [loose] allies of the US, who had helped arm and fund their war with [sworn enemy of Uncle Sam] Iran. So, in Galloway's eyes, Hussein was a stooge of Washington and therefore someone to be hated.

When Hussein's Iraq invaded even stronger US ally Kuwait and the US declared war on Iraq, Galloway flipped. Iraq was an enemy of the US; had stood up to Uncle Sam (well, very briefly), so Iraq and Hussein became George's buddies.

It really is that simple with Galloway.

I mean, I'm a frequent critic of the US, and have studied how their foreign policy has caused or prolonged wars, kept evil and murderous dictators in power, toppled legitimate governments that didn't adhere to US business interests, arm & fund terrorist groups... overall leading directly to the loss of literally millions of innocent lives. I think their claim to be some protector of democracy is utter tripe. And they've used their influence in the IMF/World Bank to force countries into privatising utilities and opening natural resources to foreign exploitation (that US companies are usually at the forefront of to take over and milk for profit)

And yet I'll judge each act of the US on its individual merit and acknowledge that sometimes the US can be right and justified in its actions.

I'm 52 and about 40 years past the phase of 'the enemy of mine enemy is my friend' (substitute 'mine enemy' for 'the USA' in the case of Galloway)

I also won't slavishly defend any regime or group for any action simply because they are (or, as is usually the case, claim to be for political reasons, despite not really being) leftist.

With Galloway, it's always reduced to a really juvenile and simplistic anti-USA equation.

And, over time, he's adapted that to work a big grift into it.

That's right.

You're going to be annoyed with me however because you can trace the same process in Corbyn around this same time. Corbyn (along with the mighty Anne Clwyd) had affiliations with CARDI (Campaign against Repression and for Democracy in Iraq). I saw him address one of their meetings in Conway Hall in the 1980s. He also made a great speech in the House of Commons in 1988 (I think) where he called Saddam Hussein's regime "Fascist", accused them of genocide against the Kurds (this was the period when he was using poison gas in Halabja) and said that "like all Fascist regimes Saddam's regime was a danger to its neighbours". He meant Iran, and he was right. But two years later Saddam's Fascist regime invaded and annexed another neighbour - Kuwait.

I honestly waited for Corbyn to say "Told you so", like Anne Clwyd did. I waited for him to express support for the Coalition, fully armed with its UN mandate, in its military attempt to throw the Fascists out. But.....it never came. Corbyn was suddenly pro-Saddam. He said Kuwaiti oil belonged to a bigger geological field which originated in Iraq (bad geology!). Therefore it was Saddam's oil after all. Ans maybe, he said, Kuwait didn't really exist and therefore Saddam had a right to invade it. (shades of Putin and Ukraine)

He was never as vehement as Galloway about any of this. And he wasn't in it, like Galloway, because of the money. But he shared that reflexive 'anti-Western' thing that Galloway has. If America said Fascism was wrong then, maybe, there was something to be said for Fascism. That was the logic. Never trust a man like that.

Of course in Rochdale they don't care about anything like this. The level of political ignorance about Galloway must by gargantuan. Some of it might even be wilful.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 1, 2024, 02:23:38 pm »
You're going to be annoyed with me however because you can trace the same process in Corbyn around this same time.

I don't know how many times I can say I'm not a fan of Corbyn.  ;D

I'm a big supporter of the broad movement on whose wave he surfed to become leader - and will admit I didn't know a huge amount about Corbyn before it was 'his turn' to be the token leftist leadership candidate.

He proved to be a poor leader. Was petty, divisive and lacked both political acumen and shrewd intelligence. If it had have been McDonnell or one of a handful of other more leftist Labour figures, I'd have preferred it. Because Corbyn's tenure has set back the cause of getting a more progressive policy suite at the heart of Labour.

« Last Edit: March 1, 2024, 02:46:11 pm by Nobby Reserve »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #319 on: March 1, 2024, 02:32:26 pm »
What I meant was, Andy should know better than to post bollox.  Trying to be funny  ;)

Galloway won, cause Labour didn't run a candidate, it's as simple as that.  There will be some peed off muslims, though, and it may cost them a couple of seats, at the next GE.  They will still win, though.

I only posted it because it popped up on my feed around the same time as it was being discussed.

Can't find it now. Facebook is weird sometimes. Occasionally get stuff that I blocked years ago popping up then vanishing again.

Only read the headlines, but that seemed to be the gist from one of those websites like 'left foot forward' or whatever it's called.

EDIT: Wasn't 'left foot forward' as they have presented the report as entirely factual and accurate.

No idea which one it was.. Gone now.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2024, 03:10:58 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »