Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 306275 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #280 on: March 10, 2018, 09:39:49 am »
In the Jack Nicklaus winning the 86 Masters mold, actually end up being bigger than that, although think we've seen the last of Tiger Woods winning a major, the new breed of Golfers are not easily defeated like most others were at Tiger Woods peak.

Nah I don't either, he's had a few false dawns. But it'd be nice if he is able to compete at the top again consistently.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: March 10, 2018, 09:59:02 am »
In the Jack Nicklaus winning the 86 Masters mold, actually end up being bigger than that, although think we've seen the last of Tiger Woods winning a major, the new breed of Golfers are not easily defeated like most others were at Tiger Woods peak.
Everyone is easily defeated. Its Golf...as quickly as you can be winning, is as quickly as you can lose form.

Rory was flying to start the season and then played in America and lost his form completely. That Tiger is playing like this, at his age and after all this time out, is staggering.
None of thee young guys have ever seen the real Tiger...just like the young guys who get to play against Federer. Its a one off occurrence that they are not prepared for.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: March 10, 2018, 09:17:56 pm »
Tiger playing magnificently here. Tied for the lead with a 4 footer for a birdie coming up...

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: March 10, 2018, 09:21:33 pm »
Lipped out

;D

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2018, 10:19:00 am »
It will be interesting to see Tiger on a Sunday where he has a chance to win again as another 67 today should do it as the leaderboard is a little light as there is only half a dozen golfers or so within 4 shots of Conners. Woods should just enjoy himself today and see what happens. Im guessing he is in the second last group so Conners & Rose avoid the additional pressure playing with Woods and his 5000 entourage.

Errrrr.... it finished 8-9pm Eastern time...5-6pm local California time.

Think I was making a point most tournaments will finish around 6pm and that's local time whether EST or PST and depending on the time of year it leads to playoffs trying to beat sunset. The joys of a golf season that is 52 weeks of the year these days as even when we head out ourselves for a round you know a 1pm teetime in Jan may be too late while a 5pm in July may work.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:29:56 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2018, 09:20:18 pm »
Not happening for Tiger today, is it?
Probably between Reed and Casey at this stage.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2018, 09:38:48 pm »
Tiger needs a birdie on the last here for a possible playoff

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2018, 10:13:09 pm »
Great effort from Tiger, played the tournament so solidly but those putts just werent quite dropping tonight. Lets hope this really is him back.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2018, 10:14:51 pm »
T2 in your 4th full field start after barely teeing it up for years is an absolutely stonking effort, as this is known as a tough golf course.

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2018, 10:22:08 pm »
Yes amazing performance from Tiger, but well played Casey, for all that talent it’s been too long out the winners circle.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2018, 10:29:51 pm »
So based on the past two weeks it's odds on that Tiger and Lefty will be the last pair heading down the back nine in Augusta next month, right?  ;)
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2018, 10:30:24 pm »
So based on the past two weeks it's odds on that Tiger and Lefty will be the last pair heading down the back nine in Augusta next month, right?  ;)

I don't think there'd be too many complaints from the TV companies were that to happen ;D

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2018, 11:27:26 pm »
Everyone is easily defeated. Its Golf...as quickly as you can be winning, is as quickly as you can lose form.

Tell me about it. I started of par, birdie, birdie, par today. Then at the 5th hit my drive about 50 yards. At the 6th hit my drive about 15 yards into the rough with a divot a good 6 inches in front of the tee.  Its so easy to go from being confident and buzzing, to "what the fucks going on" and have no comprehension why. Screwed me up for another 2 holes.

I like Casey but was rooting for Tiger today. Surprised Justin petered out so poorly after getting stronger from the Thursday onwards.

Glad Reed didnt win. Cant stand him.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #293 on: March 12, 2018, 09:32:26 am »
Then at the 5th hit my drive about 50 yards. At the 6th hit my drive about 15 yards into the rough with a divot a good 6 inches in front of the tee. 

I detect a swing flaw or two here... :P

Try these two things.
One: Don't ground your driver. Watch the pro's. They either hover the driver above the ground or have it an inch or so above. This creates a free flowing swing taking it back. Rather than first having to pick the club up off the groung taking it back.

Two: Concentrate on taking the driver back--low and slow. At least for the first foot behind the ball.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #294 on: March 12, 2018, 10:47:36 am »
Great to see Tiger playing well again. In my lifetime I have never seen any sportsman dominate in a sport where any given weekend there are at least 50 people who could win. I remember the days when he started tournaments evens favourite. I don`t care about his 'problems' off the course other than health - all he proved is that he is human and humans make mistakes. It cannot have been easy for him and as someone with a similar back problem to him it must have been heartbreaking to not even be able to swing properly.

I sincerely hope he is now consistently competing and this isn`t another false dawn. If he is in contention at the masters in April, and dare I say wins it, then it will be up there as one of the greatest sporting comebacks and very much akin to Nicklaus 1986 and dare I say it an even greater one. If his iron play returns to what it was then all players in the field should watch out.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2018, 11:35:42 pm »
tiger is back

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 13, 2018, 12:11:15 am »

Glad Reed didnt win. Cant stand him.

My mate stood to win £400 off Reed On Sunday

Apparently he played some ludicrous uphill putt on 18 which rolled straight back down, when he should have just got the wedge out.  Basically blew his chance of a win/playoff with that one shot.

Gutted for me mate like but I hate Reed too the arrogant prick :)

Offline gravey101

• Main Stander
« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2018, 12:26:04 am »
it was a very difficult shot, chip or putt. Difference between it rolling back to you and going 12 feet past was nothing. Can't stand him so was happy. Sorry your mate lost his bet tho

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: March 13, 2018, 12:31:18 am »
it was a very difficult shot, chip or putt. Difference between it rolling back to you and going 12 feet past was nothing. Can't stand him so was happy. Sorry your mate lost his bet tho

Apparently every pundit on the show at the time couldn't understand why he was attempting to putt it.

Fair enough though. Reed knows his own capabilities and them's the breaks.

I hear he chipped the second attempt and nearly holed it.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 15, 2018, 11:13:59 am »
Woods was unlucky Sunday as had a chance but really did not get it going in his round. Honestly he will be delighted with his week though but Im sure falling just short will piss him off as the winning urges still burn in him. Could have been a good bet for the Masters or any major this year but his odds have dropped from 100-1 to 9-1 for the Green Jacket so some big bets have recently gone on him. It does draw a parallel to Nicklaus I guess but Woods has even gone longer since his last major. 10 years and counting while Nicklaus went 6 years without winning a major. He was some machine esp on the tour but honestly Woods will never get close to Jack's major records especially when you look at how competitive he was. If anyone asks who the best golfer there ever was Jack surely gets the bulk of votes for anyone who saw both at the top of their game.

Jack 18 wins, 19 runner ups and 56 Top 5.
Woods 14 wins, 6 runner ups and 31 Top 5

That top 5 total for Nicklaus is nuts as higher than Arnold (26) and Players (23) top 5 finishes combined. I presume Mickelson is the next best currently with 27 which is a damn good record in its own right.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #300 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06:24 pm »
Guess who finished one behind the current lead. And it took a 2 on the last par 4 to leapfrog Tiger for the lead.

Still half the field to go yet on the opening day.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »
Rory looking back at it

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2018, 09:40:56 pm »
Woods on a charge got to within 1 of the lead, but a drive out of bounds has derailed him. Shame but still on for a top 5 finish and what a week again. Serious contender now for the Masters, cannot wait.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2018, 09:42:11 pm »
Unbelievable golf by McIlroy!

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2018, 09:47:54 pm »
Unbelievable golf by McIlroy!

Love watching him when he’s in this mood

No one better

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 18, 2018, 10:01:35 pm »
373 yard drive, sand iron second into a par 5, insane.

They are either playing in a vacuum or on the moon

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2018, 10:43:49 pm »
That was a fantastic round of golf by Rory. If he can get the putter working like that at Augusta it’ll make things interesting.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2018, 10:49:41 pm »
That was a fantastic round of golf by Rory. If he can get the putter working like that at Augusta it’ll make things interesting.

Can’t wait for that now

So many can win it - hope Rory does it though

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2018, 10:53:06 pm »
McIlroy's title. Great effort by DeChambeau though.

Yep, great effort by both. Pisses me off the way they talk about DeChambeau though. As if he's handicapped, going on every week about his swing. Give it a rest lads he's fucking good.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2018, 10:54:36 pm »
Yep, great effort by both. Pisses me off the way they talk about DeChambeau though. As if he's handicapped, going on every week about his swing. Give it a rest lads he's fucking good.

He is and getting better

Can’t believe how far he hits it - Stenson playing to green first most holes

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #310 on: March 19, 2018, 03:05:29 pm »
Can't stand McIlroy but that was some round he put together. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole at Augusta though, I think if he's ever going to get it done there it'll be late on in his career. He wants it too much almost, it is like a millstone around his neck. He's got the game to win it there even if his putting isn't always reliable (one swallow doesn't make a summer in that regard), but I think he just psyches himself up too much and overplays it emotionally.

I couldn't pick a winner though at this stage. It is wide open.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2018, 06:44:14 pm »
That leader board yesterday was looking pretty tasty for a sec as you had Woods, McIIroy, Stenson & Rose fighting it out and even DeChambeau had a great run at the end. Woods just seems like he is doing a Seve off the tee lately as I dont think he knows where its going (ranks 148th on the tour for driving accuracy). Get that semi sorted and he could be a force again. Could be a classic Masters coming up.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2018, 09:40:56 pm »
Woods will have to use the driver at Augusta which could be problematic. The rough they planted some years ago isn't "US Open rough" and it'll be interesting to see how he copes. Did I just see him at 8/1? That's a sucker's bet.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #313 on: March 21, 2018, 12:58:22 pm »
Woods will have to use the driver at Augusta which could be problematic. The rough they planted some years ago isn't "US Open rough" and it'll be interesting to see how he copes. Did I just see him at 8/1? That's a sucker's bet.
seems to be a lot of money going on him. i was looking last night as masters odds and he was something like second favorite

his par 5 record in augusta is sensational iirc?

i think spieth is worth a look at 14s to be honest.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #314 on: March 21, 2018, 01:48:26 pm »
The latest odds from Sky Bet are below. Personally, I think DJ will want this and christ can he perform when he wants to. Think Woods at 9/1 is wishful thinking. Justin Thomas could do it this year, I think and maybe even Ricky Fowler breaking his major duck (right?) finally.

Dustin Johnson
9/1
Rory McIlroy
9/1
Tiger Woods
9/1
Jordan Spieth
12/1
Justin Thomas
12/1
Justin Rose
14/1
Jon Rahm
16/1
Phil Mickelson
16/1
Jason Day
18/1
Rickie Fowler
20/1
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 21, 2018, 05:02:32 pm »
For Woods to be above Spieth is just an idication of how much money has been dropped on Tiger the past month as he was 100-1 a few weeks back I think. Day would be decent value...I normally dont gamble but a few quid for once on a wee surprise might make it interesting.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #316 on: March 21, 2018, 07:09:35 pm »
For Woods to be above Spieth is just an idication of how much money has been dropped on Tiger the past month as he was 100-1 a few weeks back I think. Day would be decent value...I normally dont gamble but a few quid for once on a wee surprise might make it interesting.

I said in the Golf Betting thread before he got some form (think it was in January sometime) that I placed some bets on Woods for the majors and other specials this year. Got him at 80-1 for the Masters and 66's for the other majors.

If he can win just one of them then the bevvies are on me :D

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 21, 2018, 07:13:47 pm »
seems to be a lot of money going on him. i was looking last night as masters odds and he was something like second favorite

his par 5 record in augusta is sensational iirc?

i think spieth is worth a look at 14s to be honest.

Couldn't touch Spieth at 14s if I'm honest. He can obviously win it but his putting is absolutely dogshit at the minute. The greens  at Augusta will chew him up if he putts like he has recently.

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #318 on: March 21, 2018, 07:19:38 pm »
Couldn't touch Spieth at 14s if I'm honest. He can obviously win it but his putting is absolutely dogshit at the minute. The greens  at Augusta will chew him up if he putts like he has recently.

Yep. I'm a huge Spieth fan Gerry and his game is in good shape apart from his putting. He's gone 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 11th the past 4 years though so the course is absolutely set up for him and he loves it there. IF his putting improves then he's going to have a run at at.

Although, like McIlroy, he's had a meltdown at Augusta. That weighs heavy on players and you just wonder will he handle the pressure if he's in contention again on Sunday.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:21:09 pm by Fiasco »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: March 21, 2018, 08:33:50 pm »
Yep. I'm a huge Spieth fan Gerry and his game is in good shape apart from his putting. He's gone 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 11th the past 4 years though so the course is absolutely set up for him and he loves it there. IF his putting improves then he's going to have a run at at.

Although, like McIlroy, he's had a meltdown at Augusta. That weighs heavy on players and you just wonder will he handle the pressure if he's in contention again on Sunday.

I'm a big Spieth fan too, unbelievable player when everything's working but his putting has been off for months now. Definitely not a short term problem and that worries me.