Author Topic: My one worry about Brendan Rodgers  (Read 42121 times)

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
Re: My one worry about Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #40 on: June 2, 2012, 11:42:29 am »
who says we have a big kitty?  maybe thats why we got him to get diamonds out of shite!
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #41 on: June 2, 2012, 11:45:19 am »
£44k ;)

Think that would be incredibly hypocritical after Werner's highlighting we'd only had 18 managers in our history (failed to mention three since they took over :P ) it would be seriously two-faced to claim that as a selling point of our club, something to be proud of and then turn into Chelsea or Real Madrid.

Maybe, but the fact remains they sacked one manager after 6 months and and another after 18 months who had actually won silverware. As I said in my previous post my hope if they got rid because they had their own plans and put those plans on hold but now that they have 'their' man in place they will show more patience.
If it's 4th or bust I think we are in trouble as a revolving door manager policy will become the norm at Liverpool.

Offline 5bigears

• Kemlynite
  • Eventus Stultorum Magister Est
« Reply #42 on: June 2, 2012, 11:47:59 am »
£44k ;)

Think that would be incredibly hypocritical after Werner's highlighting we'd only had 18 managers in our history (failed to mention three since they took over :P ) it would be seriously two-faced to claim that as a selling point of our club, something to be proud of and then turn into Chelsea or Real Madrid.
Agreed, they patently can't remove in Werner's own words: "the heart and soul of LFC" , install a young innovative replacement and then shagging sack him straight away. Zero credibility ever again. I would hazard simple progress will be enough for this year after that is another question.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #43 on: June 2, 2012, 11:49:16 am »
Just added the 'figures' I extrapolated my conclusions from to my opening post.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #44 on: June 2, 2012, 11:52:46 am »

Was a good opening post BTW. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just present 'my' worry on the back of reading about your worry.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 2, 2012, 11:52:53 am »

Clearly put a lot of effort into this, appreciate it. Interesting to note that most of the biggest jumps in terms of transfer value have come from Rodgers signings, he certainly seems to have an eye for a good loan deal. People weren't exactly talking about Caulker before he went to Swansea.

PS : I do apologise if my initial post seemed to dismiss your work at all, that really wasn't my intention.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: June 2, 2012, 12:00:56 pm »
I've lots of concerns about Rodgers.

However I fully back him and believe that he can take us forward.

It's clear though that we don't have a lot of money to spend in the transfer market.

royhendo

« Reply #47 on: June 2, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »
Some brilliant stuff Dave thanks mate - you're in a rich vein of form!  :)

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 2, 2012, 12:05:09 pm »
Good post, I read some of Swansea's fans saying he inherited a lot of the side but after reading that it is clear to see that the majority of players were Brendan's. He is bound to be inexperienced in the transfer market, he has never ever in his career had more than maybe 5-10 million to spend.

That is what scouts are for though and they will be able to find him players of Liverpool quality. He has worked at Chelsea during their best years so I am sure he knows a good player when he see's one. We will see when the window closes but I am quite confident with the supposed 'team' working around him he will make good decisions.

EDIT: Fordy - Why is it 'clear' we have little money to spend?? The owner has said we do. He has gone on record by saying we can compete with the best in the transfer market. It's a new manager they have hand-picked, they have no choice but to back him financially if they want to be back where the club belongs.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2012, 12:08:01 pm by Adam_LFC »

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 2, 2012, 12:05:46 pm »
if it had been villa boas coming in then you would think that with his experience at top clubs and exposure to the high end of the transfer market that he would have players in mind that would fit the bill from day one,
 Rodgers will have been looking at a different kind of player with his team at swansea, cheaper options that fit his system. he will now be looking still for players that fit his system but instead of scouting lower division clubs he will be scouring the globe for talent...which im sure he will not have had the resources to do in the past...so how much does he know?........A good example of a manager you would not think had exposure to top talents in europe before would be alan pardew...he's done alright!!......Rodgers will know the type of player he needs...but its gunna take time for him to perhaps find the right ones.

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: June 2, 2012, 12:08:29 pm »
Great article and more importantly, a very interesting read and a different point of view.

Offline The Lash

• Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Had massive doses of fluoride in his formula.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #51 on: June 2, 2012, 12:09:11 pm »
OP was a good read but may ultimately be totally useless in determining how good or bad this man will be with a transfer kitty. HE will have no say in who we sign, these owners have made that very very clear on more than one occasion. Rogers is there to coach and nothing else. The DoF will decide who we buy. As the owners have said 'the coach will be present at the final interview only', that will be his involvemnt in buying player - zero.

So, forget about how good or bad Rogers is at spotting talent and developing players once signed, or how he will deal with a transfer budget, it is not his concern.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 2, 2012, 12:10:41 pm »
Good O.P by the way.

Kinda like rafa when he firststarted...finished his career early..focused on coaching..traveled europe schooling himself with techniques from different countries and coaches and devising his own model......rafa like outside forwards that could score goals..he found luis garcia.....hopefully Brendan will find a few gems like this, perhaps not in the same ilk but just as effective in his system.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #53 on: June 2, 2012, 12:10:48 pm »
Good OP turned Great OP with "I mean David Moyes has done wonders at a small club"!

I have already warmed to Brendan Rodgers,initially he wouldn't have been in my top 5 to replace KD but he can talk a good fight.

His disposition is top drawer,composed & seems to have that 'aura' that players will look up to & listen.

Nervously excited,this aint a quick fix-get behind him from the off everyone.

I've lots of concerns about Rodgers.

However I fully back him and believe that he can take us forward.

It's clear though that we don't have a lot of money to spend in the transfer market.

I doubt BR would have come here with £5-10m to spend in the summer.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2012, 12:13:29 pm by DAVO1 »

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #54 on: June 2, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »
Good post, I read some of Swansea's fans saying he inherited a lot of the side but after reading that it is clear to see that the majority of players were Brendan's. He is bound to be inexperienced in the transfer market, he has never ever in his career had more than maybe 5-10 million to spend.

I should probably clarify this doesn't take into account any outgoing players (if there were any - didn't check) in the January transfer window, injured players or players who were on loan elsewhere. Which may well be Martinez buys, only players that were in the squad at the end of the season who'd played a part in their season.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #55 on: June 2, 2012, 12:15:05 pm »
He's disciplined and has a tough mentality.  That's good enough for me! :)
We all bleed RED!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #56 on: June 2, 2012, 12:15:34 pm »
OP was a good read but may ultimately be totally useless in determining how good or bad this man will be with a transfer kitty. HE will have no say in who we sign, these owners have made that very very clear on more than one occasion. Rogers is there to coach and nothing else. The DoF will decide who we buy. As the owners have said 'the coach will be present at the final interview only', that will be his involvemnt in buying player - zero.

So, forget about how good or bad Rogers is at spotting talent and developing players once signed, or how he will deal with a transfer budget, it is not his concern.

What makes you say that, given the press conference yesterday when it was categorically stated by Ian Ayre that no players will be forced on the manager.

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #57 on: June 2, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »

That is what scouts are for though and they will be able to find him players of Liverpool quality. He has worked at Chelsea during their best years so I am sure he knows a good player when he see's one. We will see when the window closes but I am quite confident with the supposed 'team' working around him he will make good decisions.

Rafa was the same, then he came 2 liverpool and 1 of his 1st signings was Xabi Alonso.  Turned out 2 be 1 of the best defensive mids
We all bleed RED!!

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: June 2, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »
Rafa was the same, then he came 2 liverpool and 1 of his 1st signings was Xabi Alonso.  Turned out 2 be 1 of the best defensive mids

Was going to say that Rafa had little experience in transfer market either, and we had to hear all about how the team he won with at Valencia was put in place by Ranieri. But who was his first signing, Josemi? :P ;D

Good OP, but I presume this new structure FSG are supposedly putting in place will counter-balance Rodgers' inexperience at this level. And all managers have weaknesses/blindspots when it comes to signing players. Good as Rafa was, he did some total headscratcher transfer deals.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 2, 2012, 12:31:06 pm »

It's been stated repeatedly, and rather forcibly, that there will be not be a DOF at Liverpool.

Offline rickythered

• facedranter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 Times
« Reply #60 on: June 2, 2012, 12:36:17 pm »
who says we have a big kitty?  maybe thats why we got him to get diamonds out of shite!

With the quoted 30 million transfer fund plus player sales total kitty, he's going to have to do just that. what exactly does that buy you in today's market. Certainly not enough to even dream of challenging Chelsea and City. If our new owners think Brendan is going to magically introduce a new genius style of football and take on those two there dreaming to be honest.
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.” Brendan Rodger's

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 2, 2012, 12:40:22 pm »

Did you even watch the press conference yesterday? Ayre stated the club will not buy and force players onto the manager. Brendan made it very clear he wouldn't join LFC if that was the case.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 2, 2012, 12:40:50 pm »
With the quoted 30 million transfer fund plus player sales total kitty, he's going to have to do just that. what exactly does that buy you in today's market. Certainly not enough to even dream of challenging Chelsea and City. If our new owners think Brendan is going to magically introduce a new genius style of football and take on those two there dreaming to be honest.

With the way Chelsea are spending we can't come close to that at the moment but there are plenty of quality bargains around if we are smart about it. That's what we need to do and do well if we want to be back up there.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #63 on: June 2, 2012, 12:42:38 pm »
The worry for me is he's in an interview said that he's spoke to Steve Gerrard at length on Thursday night (fair enough) and he tried to phone Carragher but he's in Dubai so he got a message back off him. But just those two players, nobody else.

It's clear who still rules the roost at LFC.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 2, 2012, 12:42:57 pm »
I think Rodgers will be entering the transfer market on a player-by-player basis to be honest. He may well spend less than Kenny did but that's only because I'm positive we won't be as wasteful with some of the fees. There is definite quality out there that you don't necessarily have to pay 20mil+ for.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 2, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »
The worry for me is he's in an interview said that he's spoke to Steve Gerrard at length on Thursday night (fair enough) and he tried to phone Carragher but he's in Dubai so he got a message back off him. But just those two players, nobody else.

It's clear who still rules the roost at LFC.

Either that or he spoke to them to tell them that they're no longer going to be able to influence things. He's in charge and they will follow or leave.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #66 on: June 2, 2012, 12:45:03 pm »
My only worry is would he be able to implement his kind of passing game to our group of players.

One thing I do notice is that fundamentally Rodgers` football philosophy is very very similar to the one of Rafa Benitez. High defensive line, controlling the game, pressing high up the pitch. At the same time we have Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas , Gerrard, Kuyt the players that excelled under Benitez in a system that was practically the same. I see no reason why should they have any problem adopting to Rodgers` system. That is reassuring as far as I am concerned.

When it comes to worries about performance in transfer market as long as we stay away from the calamitous buy british policy we should be ok.
That's exactly the reason why i think he will look to keep Kuyt & Maxi, atleast in the short term. As they should be able to adopt easier to his system, training, etc. Some of our more recent signings never played under Rafa or any continental approach, so would be taken aback by the changes somewhat.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #67 on: June 2, 2012, 12:46:45 pm »
Two players there will struggle now, well at last in my opinion; Kuyt and Gerrard, their legs just aren't what they were and for a system where you attack and defend so veraciously I think they'll struggle in their current positions.
For the short term, i see them having a future. Kuyt & Gerrard won't start the full season, but i reckon they could have quite a lot of playing time for the first 5-10 games as they should settle better to the new system

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 2, 2012, 12:47:16 pm »
With the way Chelsea are spending we can't come close to that at the moment but there are plenty of quality bargains around if we are smart about it. That's what we need to do and do well if we want to be back up there.

True. There are bargains out there and he might just need to get in one big name and several smaller squad players. All depends on what BR thinks of our squad and how it'll fit into his style.

Chelsea is buying players without a manager, who will come in to find he has to play certain players and in certain positions. That is a recipe for a potential disaster already. They might do great or they might collapse and sack the new manager by Christmas. City is a different story but heck we're never going to challenge for the title in year 1 anyway. Fighting towards a title challenge is a great start.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #69 on: June 2, 2012, 12:49:01 pm »
Awww but I put in pretty little paragraphs for him... ah well.

Watcha reading for?

We have ourselves a reader!  :lickin

Good OP mate.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #70 on: June 2, 2012, 12:51:40 pm »
I think Rodgers will be entering the transfer market on a player-by-player basis to be honest. He may well spend less than Kenny did but that's only because I'm positive we won't be as wasteful with some of the fees. There is definite quality out there that you don't necessarily have to pay 20mil+ for.
He might have an astute eye on top players in the Spanish & Dutch leagues also, he obviously follows their footballing principles, so must watch a hell of a lot of games from those countries. He could potentially bring in some diamonds

Offline rickythered

• facedranter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 Times
« Reply #71 on: June 2, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »
With a few canny transfers we can easily challenge Newcastle, Spurs and Arsenal IMO. Where going to have to spend big on another striker though and I think we will. Are biggest Achilles heel last season was our wastefulness in front of goal, that has to be remedied this season. I would kill for another fowler-esque natural goal scorer this transfer season.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2012, 12:54:27 pm by rickythered »
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.” Brendan Rodger's

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 2, 2012, 12:55:55 pm »
For the short term, i see them having a future. Kuyt & Gerrard won't start the full season, but i reckon they could have quite a lot of playing time for the first 5-10 games as they should settle better to the new system

Kuyt doesn't fit into Rodgers style.

Don't he will be a liverpool player next season myself.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 2, 2012, 12:57:01 pm »
He might have an astute eye on top players in the Spanish & Dutch leagues also, he obviously follows their footballing principles, so must watch a hell of a lot of games from those countries. He could potentially bring in some diamonds

I'd be glad to see a return to those leagues as we paid a serious premium last year for British players normally at least £5m or even £10m on top of actual worth.

Mata was pretty much, a few million more maybe, the same price as Downing IIRC. Aguero the same as Carroll. Doesn't mean I think the British player is a waste but not close to being as good a deal.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 2, 2012, 01:01:02 pm »
I have no real worries.
Nobody really knows how good he is or how well the team will adapt to his methods. Not even Rodgers himself knows it. I don't think we will end up any lower then we did this season, not with cups being deprioritised officially, so what we can do is sit back and enjoy the season of low expectations that carries a promise of appealing football and laying solid foundations for the future. We are where we are now, there is little to do but give him time and hope he is fully (and I motherfucking mean fully Mr Ian Ayre and the rest that went into hiding during Suarezgate) supported from everyone in the club.

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #75 on: June 2, 2012, 01:02:01 pm »
Having listened to Brendan's interview yesterday I don't believe we'll be pissing around trying to low-ball offers anymore.
We asked about his buy-out clause he said word to the effect of "I didn't want to leave Swansea at this time. I wanted to set the cause high enough so that if the team that wants me balks at the price then I wouldn't want to go as they didn't value me enough." If this is his attitude and a player is valued at X then I think he'll decide if that player is worth X to him and if so offer the money and get the player. Their will no longer be the case of trying to save a couple of million by haggling till the last day of the transfer window.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #76 on: June 2, 2012, 01:03:37 pm »

I think we want to meet in the middle like

lower our spends maybe raise his

but then I thought no. they say they want to win the title so this cant be so

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #77 on: June 2, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »
With a few canny transfers we can easily challenge Newcastle, Spurs and Arsenal IMO. Where going to have to spend big on another striker though and I think we will. Are biggest Achilles heel last season was our wastefulness in front of goal, that has to be remedied this season. I would kill for another fowler-esque natural goal scorer this transfer season.

How's Morgan getting on ?
Are their any kid in the reserves ready for a step-up ?
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline The Lash

• Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Had massive doses of fluoride in his formula.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #78 on: June 2, 2012, 01:04:17 pm »
What makes you say that, given the press conference yesterday when it was categorically stated by Ian Ayre that no players will be forced on the manager.

Ian Ayre, the man who smiled like a cheshire can and patted Kenny on the back when we won the Carling Cup and a few days later says winning cups isnt important - that Ian Ayre? Take what he says with a pinch of salt.

The owners have stated that the coach will do just that and nothing else, the DoF with identify and buy the players. The manager will be present at the final interview only. Sounds very clear to me. Rogers will get the players that the DoF decides that he needs. Maybe Ayre is saying that the owners have changed their mids and we dont need a DoF.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #79 on: June 2, 2012, 01:04:35 pm »
I'd be glad to see a return to those leagues as we paid a serious premium last year for British players normally at least £5m or even £10m on top of actual worth.

Mata was pretty much, a few million more maybe, the same price as Downing IIRC. Aguero the same as Carroll. Doesn't mean I think the British player is a waste but not close to being as good a deal.

You forget wages. Never in the hunt for these players so drop it.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same