Author Topic: My one worry about Brendan Rodgers  (Read 42302 times)

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
Re: My one worry about Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #200 on: June 3, 2012, 06:03:23 pm »
Actually it probably has some truth to it.  After all, Rodgers surely would have been told Kuyt had offers and was thinking of leaving, yet Rodgers did not seek to convince Kuyt to stay.  Good start to his reign.  Next is to release Carragher.

Never had any trouble under Rafa in a very similar role, I'd like to see it as a positive in that he's been promised decent spends, so offloading someone of Kuyt's experience isn't seen as a great loss, and perhaps given his age he wasn't likely to be first choice, and if Brendan couldn't offer that then Kuyt was always going to want to leave anyway. Similar to Danny Murphy back in 2004. Hope we get Garcia or Alonso type in replacement :lickin
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: June 4, 2012, 09:17:00 am »
My one worry about Brendan Rodgers... how long before the fans turn on him, if he doesn't win the first 38 league games on the bounce? I'd say he's got about 5. How long before FSG turn on him... well, if nobody accuses him of any ism's, and he keeps the media happy, I'd say he's got the gig until FSG sell up.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #202 on: June 4, 2012, 10:17:57 am »
Says on ssn this morning he will be loaning players to Swansea to help with youth development.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: June 4, 2012, 10:31:03 am »
Says on ssn this morning he will be loaning players to Swansea to help with youth development.

Hope Sterling isn't one of those, think next season he's looking ready to step to play in the first team more often, but some of them could do worse than having a year in and around a premiership first team. Could be Rodgers way of paying them back, if he nicks Siggurdson or how ever you spell it from under their noses? Who knows?
Don't Ever,Ever Buy The S*n. Fucking Tory Scum.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline steveee

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: June 4, 2012, 10:13:38 pm »
Not for us he won't. Maybe for Fenerbace, surprised Rodgers didn't want him.

I'm not surprised... just by the eye test... I believe Kuyt has the worst pass completion % in our squad the last 2 seasons.  I could be wrong if anyone wants to prove me wrong but to me there is no one in the sqaud that passed the ball to the other team more than Kuyt.. at least least out of our midfielders and forwards... if there is.. who?   This is the main reason Kenny played Henderson out of position over kuyt on the right last season

Offline Carolina Red

• Kopite
« Reply #205 on: June 4, 2012, 11:33:22 pm »

Interesting. Wonder how the new Swansea manager feels about that?

Will be interesting to see which young 'uns are loaned to the Swans.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #206 on: June 5, 2012, 11:15:21 am »
I'm not surprised... just by the eye test... I believe Kuyt has the worst pass completion % in our squad the last 2 seasons.  I could be wrong if anyone wants to prove me wrong but to me there is no one in the sqaud that passed the ball to the other team more than Kuyt.. at least least out of our midfielders and forwards... if there is.. who?   This is the main reason Kenny played Henderson out of position over kuyt on the right last season
Just read there that Kuyt had a 1m release clause, Rodgers was powerless to stop it. Whether he tried or not, i don't know.

Offline exino

• tic tac toe
  • Kopite
  • Youth coach. Total football proponent. JFT96.
« Reply #207 on: June 5, 2012, 11:28:18 am »
I'm not surprised... just by the eye test... I believe Kuyt has the worst pass completion % in our squad the last 2 seasons.  I could be wrong if anyone wants to prove me wrong but to me there is no one in the sqaud that passed the ball to the other team more than Kuyt.. at least least out of our midfielders and forwards... if there is.. who?
Seriously doubt Kuyt had the worst %.  Adam last season, & Carra the season before that would be my guess.

Just read there that Kuyt had a 1m release clause, Rodgers was powerless to stop it. Whether he tried or not, i don't know.
Thats unfortunate & probably true.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2012, 11:37:12 am by exino »
"Football is a simple game, yet it is difficult to play simple football."- Johan Cruyff

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #208 on: June 5, 2012, 11:30:21 am »
Interesting. Wonder how the new Swansea manager feels about that?

Will be interesting to see which young 'uns are loaned to the Swans.
There is every possibility that our fringe youngsters are better than their fringe youngsters so it makes sense (sort of) and I think he is also being clever with a nod to helping out his old club.
If the new Swans manager doesn't want them then that is up to them...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #209 on: June 5, 2012, 11:40:57 am »
Does anybody have BR away record last season. Heard from a bitter that his away record was poor or else they would have finiished higher. Does he have a different tactics for away games?

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 5, 2012, 11:51:46 am »
Does anybody have BR away record last season. Heard from a bitter that his away record was poor or else they would have finiished higher. Does he have a different tactics for away games?

Yep, looks poor to me - 4 wins, 4 draws and 10 losses. 16pts from 54. No idea if the tactics are different or if by trying to play more attacking football he's left himself open to more losses. That's an unknown to me.

His home form is much better though - 7/7/4 for 28/54 (better than ours was). If he can improve our home form and our greater talent of players can keep the away form up then he will improve us.

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #211 on: June 5, 2012, 12:24:11 pm »

In our top 3 with 77.5% pass completion, the other two were Suarez at 75.4% and Carroll at 64%
source
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline finnansounderrated

• Main Stander
« Reply #212 on: June 5, 2012, 12:33:22 pm »
What impressed me was Brendan's reaction to Ian Ayres comments at the press conference, however it made the club look a bit daft.  The more I read about Rogers the more I like.  Is he going to get us the best players in Europe.  Probably not.  Is he going to get us beyond mid table? probably.  Top 4? depends on the fitness of Lucas and Rogers ability in preventing Stevie G from insisting on playing centre mid and signing a striker who can hit 20 goals plus..  Im giving the guy a chance.  Thought Swansea were superb.  Love it that we will go back to playing 4231.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: June 5, 2012, 12:36:45 pm »
In our top 3 with 77.5% pass completion, the other two were Suarez at 75.4% and Carroll at 64%
source

The problem with pass completion stats is that it depends where you are on the pitch. Carra has 80.6% when it is simple passes to the other CM, DM or GK but that drops to 57% when in the opponents half. Heck of a lot easier to get a 90% rate when you're playing triangles in the middle of the pitch. Lot harder when in the final third and when things like attempted through balls get counted too. Why we see Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll with low percentages.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: June 5, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »
What impressed me was Brendan's reaction to Ian Ayres comments at the press conference, however it made the club look a bit daft.  The more I read about Rogers the more I like.  Is he going to get us the best players in Europe.  Probably not.  Is he going to get us beyond mid table? probably.  Top 4? depends on the fitness of Lucas and Rogers ability in preventing Stevie G from insisting on playing centre mid and signing a striker who can hit 20 goals plus..  Im giving the guy a chance.  Thought Swansea were superb.  Love it that we will go back to playing 4231.

At this point in time getting in the very best players from Europe is unlikely anyway. A good season next year with CL participation gained for the following and then we can hope to attract the best players in the world again.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #215 on: June 5, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »
The problem with pass completion stats is that it depends where you are on the pitch. Carra has 80.6% when it is simple passes to the other CM, DM or GK but that drops to 57% when in the opponents half. Heck of a lot easier to get a 90% rate when you're playing triangles in the middle of the pitch. Lot harder when in the final third and when things like attempted through balls get counted too. Why we see Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll with low percentages.

Oh I agree, he just set the challenge of proving him wrong so thought I would give it a go :)

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: June 5, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »
Oh I agree, he just set the challenge of proving him wrong so thought I would give it a go :)

Sorry, should have said I was quoting your post to agree with yours and to add my thoughts :)

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: June 5, 2012, 01:51:24 pm »
I'm not convinced that it really matters that rodgers' work at swansea was actually the culmination of many years development under different managers. It just shows that he is able to build on what is already there, adapt it, and doesn't have to just throw out everything. It makes him quite a pragmatic manager, which can only count in his favour. As long as people are prepared to accept revolution by evolution and give him time, then he could be a real success.

One area where we can make massive improvements is in the area of keeping the whole squad involved, in helping players settle and bed in. In the past we've bought a lot of players, had managers discard them for whatever reason and then moved them on. We wasted a lot of time, money, and opportunity through having a continuous revolving door of players. This is where rodgers has really impressed me at swansea. One of the few valid criticisms of Rafa was that he wasn't a great man manager, and any books written by players from the houllier period paint an image of a rather unusual man manager. Rodgers seemed to get everyone at swansea involved, and all driving in the same direction.

Of all of the tributes paid to rodgers when he got the job, two were striking for their similarity. Jose Mourinho and Roy Keane essentially said the same thing about him. basically that he's one of the good guys in life, never mind football, and he's a great coach, and very intelligent man.  Then they both basically said that it is good to see one of the good guys getting a big job on merit. Roy Keane is like a god in ireland. An Angry cranky old testament god. He may be a man utd player, but that doesn't really matter very much here. He has a reputation for being very shrewdly critical, and he basically likes no-one. To get such unqualified praise from keane about his character basically means that we have appointed Jesus as manager.  Mourinho just stopped short of saying that if he were to suddenly die, he hoped that rodgers would marry his wife and raise his kids and take over his team.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #218 on: June 6, 2012, 04:58:40 am »
His signings will be the first test and it remains to be seen wether he'll have money to make any expensive ones,but if his main focus is on close control and technical ability it makes it more difficult to fuck up. Have you ever said to yourself ''he's a shit player but he's technically excellent''.

Surely when it comes to new signings and like Rafa before him might I add, his main focus will be mentality, mentality, mentality ... then technical ability. See in the type of system Roger's will look to employ at Liverpool having the level of technical ability needed is important, it doesn't matter how great a mentality you have - it will only get you so far but to a certain extent it does depend on the area of the pitch you occupy.

You need to be in the right position at the right time to use that technical ability, that means high levels in regards to making the correct decisions - knowing whats best for the team or more accurately the system; will I force the play and make something happen or keep the ball ticking over, should I put my foot down or take a step back etc etc.

Having the right mentality so you can use look to us your technical ability is more important, no matter how great a technical ability you have without the right mentality you will be useless and because players will a higher level of technical ability usually cost a fair bit, you will be a waste of money and that is something we can not afford to do - i.e. waste money.

On the other hand player will lesser technical ability but that have the right mentality are vastly under valued and can mean signing players at a fraction of what they are worth. That will key to our future success - i.e. looking to save money without settle for 'less' where ever possible.

Offline kaz1983

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: June 6, 2012, 06:43:56 am »
Could not disagree more.... We passed and pressed increasingly under rafa season by season.... I watched Swanseas game against us.... They tried to pass and move but thinking your summary of free flowing attacking football seems far too strong imo... As another example, Ged had a cautious counter attacking approach through all his years at lfc.. Rafa had a variety of flavours.... But cautious counter attack? No. If you're also looking at Rafas last season as some kind of summary of his philosophy then you ignore everything else going on at the time which superseded football or footballing philosophy ...

Anyway must admit Brendan's radio press conf was interesting and as for the rest... No idea the coming months will give me a better feel for what Rodgers can do with our club....

I was too was re-watching Swansea against us at Anfield and I agree in not really understanding or agreeing with people who describe Swansea's football last season as being; free-flowing, possession based, attacking football. I would say once they got the ball into the final 3rd they quite direct in the matter they went about things, as most of their possession was in their own half but the key to their football being so successful was their approach when it came to pressing; instead of pressing from the front like their lone strikers their wide forwards would drop back into 'zone 5' to support the midfield and that encourage the opposition to venture forwards with the ball past the half way line. This the 'triggered' Swansea's midfield three and their wide forward to press in an organised manner as a team not individuals.

Then once they have won the ball -as others have pointed out- Swansea would have 3 runners from 'zone 5' and their 2 wing backs from 'zone 4' looking to run forwards into the space vacated by the opposition and of course their lone striker upfront looking to ideally get himself free from the last defender in 'zone 7' without being offside. It would then be up to the midfielder who won the ball back 'whether it is on or not' or just recycle to ball back to midfielder in 'zone 3' and he would then look to either play the ball out to the wing back who will have dropped back into 'zone 4' or the central defenders behind him or one of the midfielders into of him if the forward pass is on but whether 'it's on or not' must depend on the quality of the man on the ball surely?

This where Xabi Alonso comes into it. If you have a midfielder of his quality playing and in that same situation -i.e. whether a forward pass 'is on or not' or should I just recycle the ball- instead of say Leon Britton, the frequency of whether the forward pass 'is on or not' is going to be higher because with greater technical and passing ability and having the right mentality, comes more choices when it comes to passing the ball. So a team with players with average to good technical ability but with a midfielder of the quality of Alonso playing just in front of the back four, might see them labeled as very direct. The reason is when a player has the option and the quality to cut out 3 opposition players with one pass he will take it unless he is under orders to play it short and keep it simple but then to make that work you need a team full of players with high technical ability - in this day and age if your Liverpool FC, going to into the transfer market and signing those sort of players isn't cheap.

That is why I think Roger's will look to play a hybrid of the style he got Swansea playing but with the ability to play the ball from the front to the back very quickly to keep the opposition on their toes and give us a plan B if needed. I suppose when you have a player with the technical ability of Alonso playing in front of your back four that when in possession you carry a huge threat from deep and that means teams can't just sit back and only press when you get into your final 3rd. Just the presence of an Alonso type would mean teams will look to press earlier and try to limit his time on the ball.

Offline pred8er

• Boys Pen
« Reply #220 on: June 6, 2012, 01:33:55 pm »
He (B Rodgers) certainly talks well, this is an important thing for American clubs/owners - give the club a good manager with spokesperson skills - winning is secondary to this primary skill of giving the club a good image.

I have been living in North America for the last 10 years now and this Image thing is a priority to every club in N America - even the sports clubs who have won NOTHING over the last 20-30 years make the most money, why? Because of the image....

This is the thing with the American capitalism way. I do not have much high expectations as a Liverpool fan of 31 years... Although I can always hope...

Offline Adamski LFC

• Kopite
  • Polymath, ... I think not
    • Dash Equestrian
Re: Re: My one worry about Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #221 on: June 6, 2012, 01:54:25 pm »
One area where we can make massive improvements is in the area of keeping the whole squad involved, in helping players settle and bed in. In the past we've bought a lot of players, had managers discard them for whatever reason and then moved them on. We wasted a lot of time, money, and opportunity through having a continuous revolving door of players. This is where rodgers has really impressed me at swansea. One of the few valid criticisms of Rafa was that he wasn't a great man manager, and any books written by players from the houllier period paint an image of a rather unusual man manager. Rodgers seemed to get everyone at swansea involved, and all driving in the same direction.

I thought the comments about lifting the weight of the shirt here - says he knows how to get the best out of people man and boy alike.  This can only bode well for squad and the back room staff in my opinion.
Hoping not to embarrass oneself should not be the ultimate aim when posting

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #222 on: June 6, 2012, 05:25:58 pm »
Surely when it comes to new signings and like Rafa before him might I add, his main focus will be mentality, mentality, mentality ... then technical ability. See in the type of system Roger's will look to employ at Liverpool having the level of technical ability needed is important, it doesn't matter how great a mentality you have - it will only get you so far but to a certain extent it does depend on the area of the pitch you occupy.

You need to be in the right position at the right time to use that technical ability, that means high levels in regards to making the correct decisions - knowing whats best for the team or more accurately the system; will I force the play and make something happen or keep the ball ticking over, should I put my foot down or take a step back etc etc.

Having the right mentality so you can use look to us your technical ability is more important, no matter how great a technical ability you have without the right mentality you will be useless and because players will a higher level of technical ability usually cost a fair bit, you will be a waste of money and that is something we can not afford to do - i.e. waste money.

On the other hand player will lesser technical ability but that have the right mentality are vastly under valued and can mean signing players at a fraction of what they are worth. That will key to our future success - i.e. looking to save money without settle for 'less' where ever possible.

Good post. I think this sums up what Rodgers did with Swansea. Must admit, I didn't watch them all that much last season, was hard enough watching us at times...

Looking at a player like Leon Britton, for instance. He caught my eye several years ago (mainly because of the name, not many footballers named after one of Thatcher's Home Secretaries!) Here is a player who has never looked like gracing the top flight of English football since he was a teenager. Two years ago, he was out of contract and looking for a Bosman. The club he ended up at? Sheffield United.

No disrespect, but if the blades are the best club you can find when you are on a free, then it's fair to say you aren't that highly rated in the game. After a poor spell with them, he returned to Swansea. Footballing fortunes can rise and fall in the space of a few minutes, but it is fair to say that at that point, Britton was not exactly a cool player. Comparisons with Xavi would have earned the observer a twirly-finger-by-the-side-of-the-head gesture from even the most generous of audiences.

On his return, though, he quickly re-established himself in the side and helped the Swans push into the play-offs. In that half-season, he scored 2 goals, his best return since the heady days of 06-07 when he netted five times in a season. Swansea, as we know, won promotion and at last the former Arsenal and West Ham trainee was to get his chance at playing in the top league.

It is fair to say that, even now, Leon Britton is not at the top of many managers' summer shopping lists. But amazingly, last season, Leon Britton was the most successful passer of a ball in any of Europe's top football divisions. He found his team mate with an incredible 93.3% accuracy. That's better than Busquets, Lahm, Thiago Silva and Xavi. And it's not some statistical freak, he played 36 league games last season.

Now you could argue that the lad has clearly always had talent, the Arsenal youth set-up don't waste their time, and West Ham had a great eye for young talent when they signed him, having recently blooded the likes of Lampard, Cole, Ferdinand and so on through their youth system. But let's be honest, talent isn't always enough. Something else happened last season that gave Britton the season of his life, and let him deliver something that apparently no top flight manager in the game considered him capable of just two years ago when, at 27, he was a free agent.

The Swansea team is full of stories like this. It is no co-incidence.

And of course, it is a very different matter to raise one of the games lesser lights to feats that outdo the cream of the global game than to get the likes of Gerrard back to his old best after three years of slow decline, but in terms of what we can expect from new players coming in, players who maybe aren't the big name signings, players who might not be on the radar of Man City and Chelsea, it raises some very interesting prospects indeed.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline kaz1983

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: June 7, 2012, 05:40:02 am »
I completely agree.

Jermaine Pennant £2 million by Arsenal, a record fee for a trainee at the time - he was 15 yrs old.

Ohh and he hit up a hat-trick on his full league debut.

But seriously the difference between him and Leon Britton is; one has the 'right' mentality, the other doesn't. Under English managers Pennant does an OK job but under a manager who has a more of a Continental approach (his time at LFC under Rafa being the example) and expects his wide players to do more than just run up and down the touchline, he struggled and in the end was a waste of money if I gonna be honest.

I haven't followed Leon Britton's career but it's safe to say he has played his best football by far under Rogers and his previous managers he played under were more 'English' in their approach. I'm not saying we should sign him tomorrow and he'll pick up where he left off (Swansea) etc etc, but;

I think focusing on technique, technique, technique would be a big mistake... instead we'd be better off looking to sign players with the 'right' mentality, who will buy into/be very receptive to Rogers' philosophy/coaching style has he seems a very hands type of guy.

See I believe that a player with the a great mentality, who is very accepting of his role in Rogers' system but that has 'limited' technique compared to our better players (Agger, Lucas, Suarez...) will offer a lot more to the team. Than a player with great technique, is a very passes of the ball... a player who when he is 'on' can be a exciting player but has 'limited' mentality and that even tho he is highly rated by many people, he isn't known to be a team player as such -more a maverick, i.e. Quaresma and Arshavin are 2 examples....

I remember their being heaps of posters who wanted Rafa to sign Quaresma, thankfully Rafa didn't listen to them and Quaresma ended up going on to flopping at Inter. Wenger signing Arshavin proved to begin with anyway to be a good signing but has time went on he mentality turned to shit. But they are both technically gifted players.

Look at some examples of players that have been labeled as have 'limited' technique but are very hard working types;

Dirk Kuyt
Javier Mascherano
Álvaro Arbeloa
Park Ji-Sung
Wayne Rooney
Gilberto Silva

Anyways as Micheal Jordan said;

“There are plenty of teams in every sport that have great players and never win titles. Most of the time, those players aren't willing to sacrifice for the greater good of the team. The funny thing is, in the end, their unwillingness to sacrifice only makes individual goals more difficult to achieve. One thing I believe to the fullest is that if you think and achieve as a team, the individual accolades will take care of themselves. Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.”
« Last Edit: June 7, 2012, 05:45:22 am by BMW »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #224 on: June 7, 2012, 01:03:41 pm »
I remember their being heaps of posters who wanted Rafa to sign Quaresma, thankfully Rafa didn't listen to them and Quaresma ended up going on to flopping at Inter.

Remember this?

Alberto de Silva: I heard an English club had discussions with you, before rejecting you.

Quaresma: You must be talking about Liverpool? Well yes their representative came to me, and we spoke. They did not reject me, I believe they wanted to kind of change my role; they wanted me to be less expressive on the pitch and be more aggressive.

Alberto de Silva: What is wrong with that, after all most clubs would want to see you doing less of the tricks and more of the work. Scolari didn't like it that is why you upset him in Switzerland.

Quaresma: I didn't upset him, I just tried something different and it didn't work. If Liverpool had come to me and said they wanted me to be me, I would've moved, they are doing something special and their fans are incredible, I know of no other team with fans who care so much. I remember Fernando Torres scoring against us and the noise was defening. They were incredible.

Alberto de Silva: So have they approached this summer, perhaps with different views?

thread

Shows you're right about the mentality thing. It's the fucking Premier League son, you've got to get stuck in!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #225 on: June 7, 2012, 07:16:31 pm »
"My post has been amended by autocorrect. Please report me to the site admins for being ignorant".

TSDR
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #226 on: June 8, 2012, 12:01:01 am »
Good post. I think this sums up what Rodgers did with Swansea. Must admit, I didn't watch them all that much last season, was hard enough watching us at times...

Looking at a player like Leon Britton, for instance. He caught my eye several years ago (mainly because of the name, not many footballers named after one of Thatcher's Home Secretaries!) Here is a player who has never looked like gracing the top flight of English football since he was a teenager. Two years ago, he was out of contract and looking for a Bosman. The club he ended up at? Sheffield United.

No disrespect, but if the blades are the best club you can find when you are on a free, then it's fair to say you aren't that highly rated in the game. After a poor spell with them, he returned to Swansea. Footballing fortunes can rise and fall in the space of a few minutes, but it is fair to say that at that point, Britton was not exactly a cool player. Comparisons with Xavi would have earned the observer a twirly-finger-by-the-side-of-the-head gesture from even the most generous of audiences.

On his return, though, he quickly re-established himself in the side and helped the Swans push into the play-offs. In that half-season, he scored 2 goals, his best return since the heady days of 06-07 when he netted five times in a season. Swansea, as we know, won promotion and at last the former Arsenal and West Ham trainee was to get his chance at playing in the top league.

It is fair to say that, even now, Leon Britton is not at the top of many managers' summer shopping lists. But amazingly, last season, Leon Britton was the most successful passer of a ball in any of Europe's top football divisions. He found his team mate with an incredible 93.3% accuracy. That's better than Busquets, Lahm, Thiago Silva and Xavi. And it's not some statistical freak, he played 36 league games last season.

Now you could argue that the lad has clearly always had talent, the Arsenal youth set-up don't waste their time, and West Ham had a great eye for young talent when they signed him, having recently blooded the likes of Lampard, Cole, Ferdinand and so on through their youth system. But let's be honest, talent isn't always enough. Something else happened last season that gave Britton the season of his life, and let him deliver something that apparently no top flight manager in the game considered him capable of just two years ago when, at 27, he was a free agent.

The Swansea team is full of stories like this. It is no co-incidence.

And of course, it is a very different matter to raise one of the games lesser lights to feats that outdo the cream of the global game than to get the likes of Gerrard back to his old best after three years of slow decline, but in terms of what we can expect from new players coming in, players who maybe aren't the big name signings, players who might not be on the radar of Man City and Chelsea, it raises some very interesting prospects indeed.
Swansea didn't want Britton to leave but he was lured by the $ and although there was interest from the Premier League, he took the best offer at the time which was from Sheffield Utd. He couldn't wait to get back here and has blossomed ever since.
He spent most of his first spell living next door to one of my friends.

There are probably dozens (ok maybe not that many) of lower league pros who could flourish in the Premier League if given the chance and time to settle. Britton has taken his chance along with the entire Swansea team. I must admit that I thought that Ashley Williams would struggle badly in the top flight but he has coped well....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2012, 11:38:39 am »
My worry is we've gone from 18 managers since the war to 4 managers in two years. Admitedly Roy wasn't the owners choice and to a lesser extent neither was Kenny. So, have we turned into a sacking club or are the Americans simply putting in place the plans they wanted to 18 months ago?

What is their minimum requirement for this season?
4th place?
6th or higher?
65+ points or higher?
Simple progress on this season?

Questions I would very much like to know the answer on. High pressure, high impact possession football has taken Barca the better part of 7 years to perfect and that is with Inesta, Xavi and the best player on the planet.
It certainly isn't going to happen over night and as we saw when GH and to a lesser extent Rafa tried to open us up to a more expansive type of football we started to leak goals for fun. Are the fans prepared to be patient while we work through those teething problems, are the owners?

The project will take years, not months to perfect and my worry is if results aren't immediately forthcoming then Rodgers wont get those years to see the project through.
The owners always wanted to put a young guy in place, Hodgson wasn't their choice, they gave him a chance and he fucked up.  Kenny also was there as a stop gap until the end of last season.  However, he did so well to turn us around and get us climbing up the table during those 5 months that with the lobbying of the supporters they had little choice but to give him a contract as they would have lost the Kop pretty much before they had started.

They gave him a chance, a season and he did OK but results in the League were not what they nor we expected and unfortunately Kenny had to go.  I didn't like it at the time and I still don't like the way it was handled and the way he was treated but reluctantly i think it was the best decision for the club.

Now FSG have their man, their young manager and he is here for the long-term I believe.  They won't be afraid to sack him if things go very wrong but I don't think there'll be a rush to judgement if next season is not as successful as we might hope!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Strictlydown19

• Main Stander
« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2012, 11:55:09 am »
Some very mature commentary here on the arrival and impact of Rodgers. Personally, I like his thoughtful approach. Okay, the media will be all over him like a cheap suit if he doesn't get off to a flyer in August, however, I suspect he will ask some very important questions of some of the current playing staff in terms of their fitness, guile, and to use that much 'over used' phrase, technical ability (requirement to consistently cope with a moving football!).

Interestingly, having watched France pass the ball around England for most of the game t'other night and to then witness Spain toying with the ROI (God that was brutal) I remain convinced that Rodger's philosophy is light years ahead of what Hodgson (and others on these islands) embraces. I know this is a club forum but you can actually see how the (bad) habits of domestically reared Premier League players follow them into the international arena. It reminds me of that wonderful Bill Bailey sketch on Capello, the England  World Cup team and Rooney, in Dandelion Mind. Capello-"Just get the ball into the corridor of uncertainty."-Rooney "What?"

For me Rodgers has to be given adequate time to create a shift in thinking which espouses the following philosophy-'The ball is not my ENEMY, it's my FRIEND and I will nurture that friendships at every given opportunity.

Quietly, progressively and without drama. In BR we must trust.

Best to all.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2012, 03:02:05 pm »
Some very mature commentary here on the arrival and impact of Rodgers. Personally, I like his thoughtful approach. Okay, the media will be all over him like a cheap suit if he doesn't get off to a flyer in August, however, I suspect he will ask some very important questions of some of the current playing staff in terms of their fitness, guile, and to use that much 'over used' phrase, technical ability (requirement to consistently cope with a moving football!).

Interestingly, having watched France pass the ball around England for most of the game t'other night and to then witness Spain toying with the ROI (God that was brutal) I remain convinced that Rodger's philosophy is light years ahead of what Hodgson (and others on these islands) embraces. I know this is a club forum but you can actually see how the (bad) habits of domestically reared Premier League players follow them into the international arena. It reminds me of that wonderful Bill Bailey sketch on Capello, the England  World Cup team and Rooney, in Dandelion Mind. Capello-"Just get the ball into the corridor of uncertainty."-Rooney "What?"

For me Rodgers has to be given adequate time to create a shift in thinking which espouses the following philosophy-'The ball is not my ENEMY, it's my FRIEND and I will nurture that friendships at every given opportunity.

Quietly, progressively and without drama. In BR we must trust.

Best to all.

What BR won't get that England did was the media spin, making out that terrible England performance to be some kind of footballing renaissance. Most of us will be willing to give him time, but you know talkshite and the like will be sharpening the knives already, looking out for anyone with a fake scouse accent to put on the air and give him stick from day one, however the results go.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA