Author Topic: Shifting CEO standards? Coco the Clown vs Easy Rider  (Read 53370 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Shifting CEO standards? Coco the Clown vs Easy Rider
« Reply #160 on: November 1, 2012, 12:24:26 pm »
No Kenny didn't. Kenny might of agreed to want these players but he wouldn't of been involved in the transfer dealings.

Comolli would of, however Ayre is the MD and could of stepped in at any stage to highlight to Comolli that we're paying too much for players but no - just sat there and watched us spend 35m on Carroll, 16-18m on Henderson etc.

Ayre seems to have a habbit of letting others take the blame. Is that how you get to the top?

So now you want Ayre to get involved in football decisions? Christ he'd of been shot screen lived on here if that happened.

People are employed to do particular jobs, Comolli (and Kenny, don't absolve him of any blame here even if it may be lesser than Comolli) were employed to pick and sign the players and both felt the brunt of getting those decisions wrong. It was not up to Ayre to make a call on who was worth what and step in IMO.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: November 1, 2012, 12:24:51 pm »
Does it matter? From the looks of things, the major commercial growth is going to be outside of the UK anyway. I imagine he'll of been over here to assess the state of the commercial department as it currently is but other than that no sure it matters if he is based here or not.

That's clearly FSG's take on it. I think cumulatively it matters. It's yet another key executive who is absent; it's somebody else charged with representing LFC who can have small understanding of who we are.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #162 on: November 1, 2012, 12:25:40 pm »
The real lack of football people at the club is telling, look at City they have Soriano, Tixi, Marwood and Viera we have Ian Ayres, say what you like about the owners at City but they are putting a very good structure in place both at Academy level as well first team, expanding the number of people involved in decision making and running of the football club. We are a one man show.

You think Soriano, Tixi and Viera have come on board for the sort of money we can afford?

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: November 1, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »
No Kenny didn't. Kenny might of agreed to want these players but he wouldn't of been involved in the transfer dealings.

Comolli would of, however Ayre is the MD and could of stepped in at any stage to highlight to Comolli that we're paying too much for players but no - just sat there and watched us spend 35m on Carroll, 16-18m on Henderson etc.

Ayre seems to have a habbit of letting others take the blame. Is that how you get to the top?
Fully agree with this, this is where a football savy CEO would have stopped Commolli paying no more than £8-10 million for Henderson and likewise for downing and at maximum £20 million for Carroll.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 1, 2012, 12:26:21 pm »
So now you want Ayre to get involved in football decisions? Christ he'd of been shot screen lived on here if that happened.

People are employed to do particular jobs, Comolli (and Kenny, don't absolve him of any blame here even if it may be lesser than Comolli) were employed to pick and sign the players and both felt the brunt of getting those decisions wrong. It was not up to Ayre to make a call on who was worth what and step in IMO.

Its not a football decision - its a money discision. Money was being wasted and an MD at any company should always be involved in how money is being spent.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #165 on: November 1, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »
That's clearly FSG's take on it. I think cumulatively it matters. It's yet another key executive who is absent; it's somebody else charged with representing LFC who can have small understanding of who we are.

Being based here doesn't have any effect on having any understanding of who we are. People are having a go at Ayre in here for not knowing and not only is he based here, but is from the City and a life long fan.

Educating yourself on who we are matters the most. And although it will clearly mean visiting here on regular occasions I really dont think it means having to be based here.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #166 on: November 1, 2012, 12:28:12 pm »
Its not a football decision - its a money discision. Money was being wasted and an MD at any company should always be involved in how money is being spent.

It's a football decision. Deciding if a player is worth X amount is clearly judging his ability or future ability.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #167 on: November 1, 2012, 12:28:29 pm »
The perils of editing - Henry was referring to what they'd done with the Red Sox and telling Broughton they could replicate those kinds of incisive appointments at LFC. Shortly afterwards, they announced Comolli, a man of no great reputation, no gravitas, no influence at FA level and no links to LFC.
I believe it's Dein, not Barwick, who turned us down twice. The idea that they are awaiting the right appointment above Ayre's head stems, I think, from the leaking of their approach to Gillon McLachlan, which was made in the Spring. Whether they are still in the market or simply letting matters drift is another matter.
Any sightings of our new Commercial Director this side of the Atlantic btw? Because I never received a rebuttal to my understanding that Hogan is remaining in Boston.

Waiting for the right appointment isn't good enough. City were waiting 9 months for Soriano to start in the summer, so rather than sit on their hands for 9 months they got Glick in as temporary CEO.

Over two years now these fools have been in charge and they still haven't appointed any kind of CEO. It's unacceptable. What happened to them appointing the best staff? Absolutely clueless they are.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 1, 2012, 12:28:57 pm »

Not having a proper CEO costs us far more money than it saves.

It'd be like having a left back in goal for 6 months 'to save money' rather than get someone else in.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #169 on: November 1, 2012, 12:29:29 pm »

Kenny could have spoken up too? Im pretty sure he wasnt kep in a closet while negotiations were going on. And lets put the money to one side, were any of the players kenny 'agreed' to actually good enough? Was the non football person supposed to stop that too?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 1, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »
It's a football decision. Deciding if a player is worth X amount is clearly judging his ability or future ability.

No mate its a money decision.

A football decision is what player you want.

However if the MD at a company can't see that money is being wasted then you've to question them.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 1, 2012, 12:30:59 pm »
Kenny could have spoken up too? Im pretty sure he wasnt kep in a closet while negotiations were going on. And lets put the money to one side, were any of the players kenny 'agreed' to actually good enough? Was the non football person supposed to stop that too?

Managers just want players, mate.

It doesn't matter to them how much we spend on players.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 1, 2012, 12:32:03 pm »
You think Soriano, Tixi and Viera have come on board for the sort of money we can afford?

FSG promised us we'd employ the best staff. If they can't afford a few months of Joe Cole's salary for a good CEO to run the bloody club then they should sell the club right now.

A good CEO is worth millions of pounds to a club. Not having one costs millions.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2012, 12:34:43 pm by Fromola »

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #173 on: November 1, 2012, 12:34:57 pm »
FSG promised us we'd employ the best staff. If they can't afford a few months of Joe Cole's salary for a good CEO to run the bloody club then they should sell the club right now.

We got in trouble financially once by throwing money around like it doesn't matter. City will be paying those execs silly money, much much more than we could afford.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #174 on: November 1, 2012, 12:35:35 pm »
Over two years now these fools have been in charge and they still haven't appointed any kind of CEO. It's unacceptable. What happened to them appointing the best staff? Absolutely clueless they are.

Please show me a top English club that has a CEO and an MD.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #175 on: November 1, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »
If you dream of getting the club back into champions league either you spend silly money on first team or you put structures in place for long term development and invest in that.
Plus was it not Rodgers who knocked the Tixi idea?

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 1, 2012, 12:36:53 pm »

A good CEO is worth millions of pounds to a club. Not having one costs millions.

I doubt its just the wages they get paid, probably just as much the money they will have at their disposal to achieve the goals that have been set for them.
Thinking is overrated.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 1, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »
If you dream of getting the club back into champions league either you spend silly money on first team or you put structures in place for long term development and invest in that.

There was talk of us wanting Tixi, nothing thaty said he wanted to come though.
Thinking is overrated.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #178 on: November 1, 2012, 12:38:36 pm »

You spend what you can afford on both the team and the staff (all staff) costs. We are being run to spend what we earn, not to speculate in the hope a punt on spending big will bring the money in.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 1, 2012, 12:41:27 pm »
Please show me a top English club that has a CEO and an MD.

But Ayre's not good enough. He's had all these promotions to plug a gap for two years and he hasn't done it well.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #180 on: November 1, 2012, 12:42:21 pm »
You spend what you can afford on both the team and the staff (all staff) costs. We are being run to spend what we earn, not to speculate in the hope a punt on spending big will bring the money in.
We had the money to employ Segura and Commolli - two posts we have lost in the last 6 months from the management structure and not been replaced.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #181 on: November 1, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »
We had the money to employ Segura and Commolli - two posts we have lost in the last 6 months from the management structure and not been replaced.

Add Comilli's wage onto Ayre's (presuming we got rid of him) and I still doubt it will be anywhere near what Tixi has demanded.

We have to spend within our means across all areas of the club. Ayre may not be good enough, but the club need to find someone who is both better and affordable, and then also wants to come to Liverpool and run the club day to day - those sorts of people probably aren't common.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 1, 2012, 12:46:44 pm »

Exactly. We haven't had a CEO - Ayre fills the gap. We sack Comolli - Ayre fills the gap and sorts all the transfers and contracts now as well. Seguera hasn't been replaced either and he's largely responsible for the overhaul of the Academy.

It's just shoddy.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 1, 2012, 12:47:15 pm »
So now it's the wages of a good CEO that is standing between Liverpool FC of past two seasons and a competently run club we all envisioned after Hicks and Gillett left.

Bullshit.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 1, 2012, 12:48:09 pm »
Add Comilli's wage onto Ayre's (presuming we got rid of him) and I still doubt it will be anywhere near what Tixi has demanded.

We have to spend within our means across all areas of the club. Ayre may not be good enough, but the club need to find someone who is both better and affordable, and then also wants to come to Liverpool and run the club day to day - those sorts of people probably aren't common.

It doesn't have to be someone who's world class. I bet there's executives and directors at other Premiership clubs who do a better job than Ayre on less money. He'll hardly be on a pittance considering his responsibilities.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #185 on: November 1, 2012, 12:49:35 pm »
So now it's the wages of a good CEO that is standing between Liverpool FC of past two seasons and a competently run club we all envisioned after Hicks and Gillett left.

Bullshit.

No, but the wages will be the issue we haven't gone and done what City have which is what most are complaining we havent done!

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #186 on: November 1, 2012, 12:50:04 pm »
It doesn't have to be someone who's world class. I bet there's executives and directors at other Premiership clubs who do a better job than Ayre on less money. He'll hardly be on a pittance considering his responsibilities.

Who?

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #187 on: November 1, 2012, 12:50:52 pm »

We interviewed Van Gall a couple of times in the summer as well as Tixi and did not pursue because Rodgers wanted full control.
If we didnt have the money why would we offer the job to Dein?
Ayres is not a football person, anybody who refuses to interview Kenny when Roy was appointed or not even consider Rafa when Brendan was appointed then you have to ask questions.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #188 on: November 1, 2012, 12:52:34 pm »
Who?
Why didnt we approach the guy who left West Brom to join England?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #189 on: November 1, 2012, 12:54:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure we've got rid of more than just Comolli and Segura, Brukner comes to mind, a couple of others in senior roles too?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 1, 2012, 12:54:30 pm »
No, but the wages will be the issue we haven't gone and done what City have which is what most are complaining we havent done!

Wages are not the issue.
They are happy with things as they are and that's the crux of it.
Their actions speak as much.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #191 on: November 1, 2012, 12:54:32 pm »
Exactly, the money we have completely wasted since FSG arrived on paying off managers, Dof's, Coaches and players would pay for a team of CEO's. The elephant in the room for me is would a top CEO work for FSG in the current setup where he would have to check everything with Henry and Werner. For me it suits FSG to have someone like Ayre who isn't going to cause waves and who will accept the status quo.

Maybe we should take Ayre's ride on Harley back to ToysRus and get Henry and Werner a little remote control Robot to act as MD.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #192 on: November 1, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »
The elephant in the room for me is would a top CEO work for FSG in the current setup where he would have to check everything with Henry and Werner.

Source?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 1, 2012, 12:58:52 pm »
Kenny admits others should of helped and supported him when it came to the Suarez situation.

Wonder who he is talking about?

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #194 on: November 1, 2012, 01:01:44 pm »
Ayres is a very weak CEO, his handling of the Suarez issue highlights this as well the fact many stories about that Kenny spent a few days a week on the golf course whilst Clarke did the training. Should have been down to IA to pull Kenny up on this, but he didnt have the ***** to do this as Kenny such a strong figure.
Same situation at City, lets see how Mancini is handled by Soriano and Tixi.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 1, 2012, 01:02:49 pm »
Kenny admits others should of helped and supported him when it came to the Suarez situation.

Hmmmm... Hard to answer who's job might that have been..hmm.
People need to wise up, this is the biggest problem in the club right now, has been acually since they took over because most others (not inherited) stem from it, leaving it unresolved for so long is very fishy.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #196 on: November 1, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »
Hmmmm... Hard to answer who's job might that have been..hmm.
People need to wise up, this is the biggest problem in the club right now, has been acually since they took over because most others (not inherited) stem from it, leaving it unresolved for so long is very fishy.

Ayre wasn't MD when they took over, they put him in that role, first of all temp basis and then after something like 6-9 months of looking on a perm basis. So he was their choice (maybe not first, maybe so, not really sure).

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #197 on: November 1, 2012, 01:06:27 pm »

That's a given. The whole thing was handled badly by the club from top to bottom.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #198 on: November 1, 2012, 01:10:09 pm »
Ayre is here because the people over the water either need a patsy or human shield to take all the shit that should be directed at them, in which case clever move for the 'not me guv boys' in the US,

or the boys in the US havnt got a clue and think Ayre is able to do a job so clearly way above his capabilities and intelligence, in which case they are total stupid pricks.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #199 on: November 1, 2012, 01:14:11 pm »
Ayre is here because the people over the water either need a patsy or human shield to take all the shit that should be directed at them, in which case clever move for the 'not me guv boys' in the US,

or the boys in the US havnt got a clue and think Ayre is able to do a job so clearly way above his capabilities and intelligence, in which case they are total stupid pricks.

He isn't doing a good job if it's point one!

And as I've said in the past, as business men (and not new to owning sports teams) his position should be one they can judge fairly well themselves unlike the footballing positions which they clearly need advice on, so they either think he is doing a decent job for the club (possibly for the short term until someone they want becomes available).