Author Topic: Neco Williams Appreciation thread  (Read 114570 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Neco Williams Appreciation thread
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2020, 03:04:42 pm »
looks so good further up the pitch. that pass to salah was pure perfection. helps that we got players that make that kind of runs

i guess we will have to see how he shapes up defensively against quick and tricky wingers..he might have to learnt the hard way

remember trent being the target by opposition wingers not so long ago as he was defensively "suspect". Hardly the target now as they know they going to get nothing.

Trent will continue to be the target of choice for opposition attackers. As the alternatives are Robertson, Van Dijk or Gomez.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: July 2, 2020, 10:48:00 pm »
Think he deserves a start on Sunday.

You can see why he's so highly rated and why he'll be in the first-team squad next season. Hopefully he'll get a couple of starts in the remaining games, but Villa at home seems an ideal game for any of the young players to be given an opportunity.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #282 on: July 2, 2020, 10:58:21 pm »
I’d make him buy breakfast for everyone tomorrow though. Should never swing the ball straight out at a corner!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #283 on: July 5, 2020, 08:59:03 am »
The standards are so high now to try and become an established member of our first team squad . And Iv been watching neco closely last 6 months and only potential weakness I can find that might be a problem is that does he lack abit of pace / acceleration when defending ? Or am I just imagining things . He has everything else . Just noticed it a couple times he has been left behind by rapid wingers .
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: July 5, 2020, 10:34:21 am »
Think he deserves a start on Sunday.

You can see why he's so highly rated and why he'll be in the first-team squad next season. Hopefully he'll get a couple of starts in the remaining games, but Villa at home seems an ideal game for any of the young players to be given an opportunity.

Agree with this, I think he's deserved a start against Villa at home.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: July 5, 2020, 10:43:30 am »
Williams is such a threat going forward.

Wont be long before he get his first senior goal

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #286 on: July 5, 2020, 10:58:11 am »
Can see him more games in midfield in the coming years (and being very successful).  Good as he is, I don't seeing him taking Trent's place at right back.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: July 5, 2020, 11:25:20 am »
Can see him more games in midfield in the coming years (and being very successful).

eh........not too sure about that. 

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: July 5, 2020, 01:43:35 pm »
The standards are so high now to try and become an established member of our first team squad . And Iv been watching neco closely last 6 months and only potential weakness I can find that might be a problem is that does he lack abit of pace / acceleration when defending ? Or am I just imagining things . He has everything else . Just noticed it a couple times he has been left behind by rapid wingers .

Looks quicker than Trent to me. Trent isn't the quickest himself.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: July 8, 2020, 10:16:00 pm »
Tough ask wasn’t it? Lamptey was a challenge with no real cover.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #290 on: July 8, 2020, 10:19:38 pm »
Bet Kloppo takes full responsibility for this!

It was tough, but he’ll be ok! He’ll come on as sub again this season at right back and he’ll be right as rain.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #291 on: July 8, 2020, 10:21:29 pm »
It's a learning curve, isn't it.  Felt like he was trying to force things a little, which is understandable after our fast start.  He'll be fine.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: July 8, 2020, 10:26:31 pm »
I thought he played pretty well; got beaten once or twice by Lamptey's pace but overall I think he and Klopp will be happy with the majority of his performance.

He needed more help than he got from Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wijnaldum, I'd like to see play at left-back with Mane ahead of him. He's a great prospect with a huge future ahead of him at the club, hopefully we see more of him before the end of the season.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #293 on: July 8, 2020, 10:26:54 pm »
Neco's first start reminds me a bit of Trent's - being targeted early on, facing a tough speedy player in Lamptey, etc. Both had shaky moments but played decently well, though not great. And see what became of Trent only a few years later...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #294 on: July 8, 2020, 10:28:17 pm »
He struggled in those last 20 minutes, but it was half as much down to the entire team dropping off, should have went for the throat at 2-0, but to be fair Brighton done well. They were always going to expose him on the left. Positives for sure though, just hope his next start is from the right
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #295 on: July 8, 2020, 10:28:57 pm »
He was in during the first quarter but that dope ref didn't play the advantage.

First start, out of position, up against their brightest player Lamptey, and a yellow by the end of the half. Baptism of fire, but the good things we saw prove we've got a player there.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #296 on: July 8, 2020, 10:29:07 pm »
In truth, he got himself a little lost by the time halftime arrived. However, that’s perfectly fine at this stage of his development. In possession he’s a real talent - the rest can be coached and emerge as he gets more starts.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: July 8, 2020, 10:30:19 pm »
Wasn't bad at all, and every indication he can ply his trade on the left in the same way he's been getting minutes on the right. Was a bit of an all action performance, with the vast majority being good. Not surprised (and am pleased) that he played his usual game, as opposed to an overly cautiously 'try to get through this without mistakes' kind of game.

Obviously the goal came down his side, but I don't think it's all on him. Don't think Chamberlain did much to help him cover two players there (and this was post-yellow), not to mention the midfielders were slow to drop in for the cross.

Only way he looked his age was his stamina, but he was sprinting up and down the pitch enthusiastically. Shame the ref ruined him being put through by not allowing the advantage. Seem to remember TAA came off on his debut against Spurs with a yellow so he's in good company tonight.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2020, 10:32:00 pm by Classycara »

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: July 8, 2020, 10:33:16 pm »
Wasn't bad at all, and every indication he can ply his trade on the left in the same way he's been getting minutes on the right. Was a bit of an all action performance, with the vast majority being good. Obviously the goal came down his side, but I don't think it's all on him. Don't think Chamberlain did much to help him cover two players there (and this was post-yellow), not to mention the midfielders were slow to drop in for the cross.

Only way he looked his age was his stamina, but he was sprinting up and down the pitch enthusiastically. Shame the ref ruined him being put through by not allowing the advantage. Seem to remember TAA came off on his debut against Spurs with a yellow so he's in good company tonight.

I thought he had a very promising performance in difficult circumstances (out of position, no cover) but I also thought he looked visibly uncomfortable on his wrong side. Taking a split second longer to decide what to do with the ball, checking back in, getting himself twisted in circles a few times. Was a tricky game, but watching that I thought it was obvious he was out of position. I'd like to see him have a full game at right back, as I think he gives a totally different performance.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #299 on: July 8, 2020, 10:37:04 pm »
Lads, he's a right back with a right foot.Plain and simple. Really unfair on him starting him left back. Madness. No wonder he was taken off at HT.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: July 8, 2020, 10:40:18 pm »
Lads, he's a right back with a right foot.Plain and simple. Really unfair on him starting him left back. Madness. No wonder he was taken off at HT.

He started at left-back because he can play at left-back.

He was taken off because he was on a yellow card, just like Gomez was taken off at half-time against City because he was on a yellow card.

Give it a rest.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #301 on: July 8, 2020, 10:41:11 pm »

what about lasses? Such a chauvinistic post!

As for Neco, you best get on the phone to that Jürgen Klopp fella, tell him that he fucked up.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #302 on: July 8, 2020, 10:42:17 pm »
If you ask Neco, he would rather play goalkeeper than not play at all.

There is no other way. Everything is a big step up from playing youth football to first team level. It’s an education that will do him a whole world of good.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #303 on: July 8, 2020, 10:45:07 pm »
The manager also happy with his performance, just taken off as he was on a booking.

I’m not sure I believe him though, Reeves disagrees. And with his track record, who is anyone else to disagree?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: July 8, 2020, 10:46:14 pm »
Dear Jurgen. Dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. Why oh why oh why. From Reeves

"Madness". "Unfair". You what? ;D

Was taken off on a yellow, with valuable minutes and lessons to learn, and with the team winning two one. Weird thing to get worked up about.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #305 on: July 8, 2020, 10:46:53 pm »

There is no other way. Everything is a big step up from playing youth football to first team level. It’s an education that will do him a whole world of good.
Ha-ha, keeper... It's true what you said, but it brought memories of Steve Staunton putting the gloves on against the Bitters when Sander Westerveld was red-carded... And he saved a beautiful free kick.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #306 on: July 8, 2020, 10:50:20 pm »
We need a left footed deputy for Robertson, the whole left hand side drops too many levels when he doesn’t play, the balance is all wrong. I’ve no doubt if the options remain the same and Robbo is out at all next season, it will be Milner who plays left back.

Oh and Neco Williams is going to be one hell of a right back.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #307 on: July 8, 2020, 10:55:59 pm »
Ha-ha, keeper... It's true what you said, but it brought memories of Steve Staunton putting the gloves on against the Bitters when Sander Westerveld was red-carded... And he saved a beautiful free kick.
My goodness. I have to watch some YouTube to see that. And he is not even that tall!

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #308 on: July 8, 2020, 11:07:25 pm »
Good experience. Tough day for him.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: July 8, 2020, 11:10:43 pm »
Great talent but to be fair, he looked unnatural playing there , he needs to probably work on his left foot because many a time he had the opportunity to go on the outside and didn’t use it.

I don’t think it’s only about working on his left, but being confident enough also to take it on the outside, he misplaced a couple passes because he was always looking to come inside and they cottoned onto it at times.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #310 on: July 8, 2020, 11:14:36 pm »
In truth, he got himself a little lost by the time halftime arrived. However, that’s perfectly fine at this stage of his development. In possession he’s a real talent - the rest can be coached and emerge as he gets more starts.
This basically. He waned as the half went on. But it's not exactly his proper position and while he ended the half pretty badly he looked bright early on. The yellow made it almost certain he came off and too right as well as I'm sure no-one would want to see him walk on his first team debut. We won the game overall and I'm sure he will learn from it. Good luck Neco.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #311 on: July 8, 2020, 11:15:23 pm »

This.

And I think he showed real quality at LB today, esp. bearing in mind that even Robbo has a tough day at the office when Sadio is absent from that left side. It was a trial by fire for Neco and I think he passed it with a B+/A-.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: July 8, 2020, 11:19:28 pm »
He got another appearance. That's how I see it. We'll see more of him and probably then down the right.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #313 on: July 8, 2020, 11:46:14 pm »
Klopp said before the game that other players would need to help him in defensive situations. That help was perhaps not as forthcoming as it should have been. He did really well until that moment when Lamptey did him for pace and Neco stuck a momentary arm out to his shoulder and then fell. After that he was a bit less sure of himself.

But it's his first start, in a less familiar role. He will learn and improve and prove the doubters wrong. Shame that advantage wasn't allowed or he might even have got a goal or assist.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #314 on: July 8, 2020, 11:46:42 pm »
Have you got a bet on about how many things you can be wrong about in a calendar year, or something?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Rheinbacher

• Main Stander
« Reply #315 on: July 8, 2020, 11:59:34 pm »
He was unreal first 25 minutes but struggled against Lamptey 1 v 1 as the half went on,made a few rash tackles. Good learning experience,Trent got the run around a few times in his first couple of seasons. Looks class on the ball.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #316 on: July 9, 2020, 12:13:01 am »
Have you got a bet on about how many things you can be wrong about in a calendar year, or something?
Nah, he only bets against us. Maybe he put a bit too much on Brighton this time?

19 year old makes first start, but is played out of position. Happens a lot, particularly centrebacks being played at full back. It’s all experience, the good and the bad and he’ll have learned plenty.

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #317 on: July 9, 2020, 12:21:01 am »

Madness, plain and simple. Really unfair, lad...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: July 9, 2020, 12:42:29 am »
Looked a bit gassed after 20 mins. Game had a pretty good tempo. Didn't get great protection from Ox and Gini at times. Would love to see him at RB against Burnley. He's taken a few decent shots with his left so I was hoping he would be confident enough on his weaker foot to go on the outside but kept cutting in. Bit streaky at times with his defending but it's what you'd expect at the stage he's at and similar to Trent in his first few games.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2020, 05:23:50 pm »
Did well again.

It does underline just how good Trent is though. He was fine, but then we started opening things up from the right.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422