Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Man City v Liverpool - Etihad - Thu 22 Dec 8pm - League Cup Ro16  (Read 21523 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

MAN CITY v LIVERPOOL - ETIHAD, LEAGUE CUP Round of 16

Referee: David Coote
Assistant referees: Nick Hopton and Timothy Wood
Fourth Official:  Paul Tierney

Finally, FINALLY proper football is back. And what a way to restart.

We started part one of this season of two halves against City with a comprehensive victory in the Community Shield, hopefully we can do the same as we kick off part two. However we then need to maintain that impressive form rather than the patchiness that followed last time. Having said that as the break started we had won 8 of our last 10 matches so things had begun to improve.

We suffered from more than our fair share of injuries during part one, but aside from long term absentees Diaz, Jota & Melo I think once everyone returns from World Cup duty thats it currently (probably have to adjust this five times in the run up to the game).

So I think it's very likely we'll go strong here. Cup tie away at rivals, players needing game time/rhythm before the league games, largely fit squad - I think we'll field the strongest available starting 11.

I'm not sure what that is yet, not even sure whether Klopp will until he's seen players arriving back today. If we don't include anyone except Darwin who played in the WC then I suspect our line up may not be too different from those who started against Milan. And it could be potentially stronger if any of those who reached the QF's of the WC are available.

I have no idea what line up they will field but I'm sure Haaland will be chomping at the bit, and De Bruyne didn't have the longest of WC campaigns so they won't be short of first teamers either, regardless of what Pep may say.

Anyway, having not watched a game since the highlights of the Southampton win, I'm really looking forward to, not just this game, but the second part of this season. I genuinely think we can still be in the shake up for all the trophy's although I absolutely accept that the League will take a near miracle.
Before the break Darwin was beginning to turn all the dangerous play and chances into goals. Harvey was really taking great strides again, wouldn't be surprised if he has a pivitol role in whatever we do this season. Now with a decent rest into the likes of Bobby, Mo, Thiago & Robbo I think regardless of what happens in this game there's still a lot to play for this season. We were just getting things right as the season paused, so I'm hoping for a fast start, a win and then keep building from there.

It's good to have you back Reds

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 05:33:24 pm by twootuurtlediivvaas »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
At last proper football is back!!!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Finally, football is back.

Now twat these olil funded, sportwashing c*nts out of this competition Redmen.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Hopefully we can be a bit stronger than the friendlies. De Bruyne and Haaland nailed on to start so our reserves in goal, at the back and at 6 are going to have some work to do.

Feels like we have little option but to field the same front 3 in every game now until one of them breaks down and we are forced to change it. Hopefully Doak gets some minutes though.

Winner of this tie will win the cup so all to play for.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Isn't this the round before the quarters?
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Hopefully we can be a bit stronger than the friendlies. De Bruyne and Haaland nailed on to start so our reserves in goal, at the back and at 6 are going to have some work to do.

Feels like we have little option but to field the same front 3 in every game now until one of them breaks down and we are forced to change it. Hopefully Doak gets some minutes though.

Winner of this tie will win the cup so all to play for.

Yeah or we could give minutes to Carvalho, Ox and maybe even Doak to stop that happening. Much better to play them for a sustainable amount of minutes than make them go till they break down.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to

And Liam Gallagher on VAR.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
Be great to win but I won't be that bothered if we don't.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
Same. Won't lose any sleep over this competition, got bigger fish to fry.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Same. Won't lose any sleep over this competition, got bigger fish to fry.

Just hope it’s a good performance with no more injuries.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan

I've be fucking livid if we lose to this shower. Just hope we can take it in normal time.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks duvva :)

Like you say, think both teams will go strong given the break but really hope to see Doak, he's the type of player that can do these. Plus it might be asking too much but given the long term injuries to Jota and Diaz, we really could with another forward being available who can tear up the league. No pressure like but that's definitely Doak.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
And Liam Gallagher on VAR.

He can only play Tambourine.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
I've be fucking livid if we lose to this shower. Just hope we can take it in normal time.

Exactly always want to get one over them cheating scumbags
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
"Referee: David Coote"

Oh dear.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Welcome back  :wellin

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Hope we go strong and win. It's very easy to say 'other fish to fry' but we could easily be out of everything by Feb if things don't go right, so make the most of each opportunity in the moment, instead of smart-arsedly sacrificing a competition now on the off chance that we might do better in another competiton in the future.

Win, and let the future take care of itself.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Words to make the blood run cold
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
This is City.  We will go as strong as we can.  They will as well.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
Welcome back  :wellin

Nothing says proper football is back like shit match officials.

It's like it never went away.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Not even arsed. Might try to be arsed by New Year then I realise I have to go to some shithouse game at a twat of a time on fucking Friday bastard night at Anfield when the fucking trains are fucked.

Just fuck off.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
FWIW, the draw for the next round is after our match is finished. Draw is on Sky.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
This is in two days  :o

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
Not sure how strong we will go. I want to beat Man City. Can’t stand them. And I also want to regroup and amass as many Prem points as possible, and obviously give the CL our all too. I’m not sure we can go hell for leather in four comps at this stage. Don’t know what to think.

Let’s just beat them, and discuss the options later.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Rednen!
Great to have these threads back, thanks Duvva. I think we have to add Curtis as an injury unless we are told he is fit. I think he could well play a part on left in the second half of the season.
Despite Peps whingeing they will be pretty strong, hopefully we have more rhythm as a squad. 2-1 to us I reckon.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
people saying they aren't bothered because of the importance of the competition

it's still friggin liverpool y'know - the club you support!

i want us to win every game - even a pub car park kick-a-bout  :wave
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So do we go with Bellingham or Fernandez alongside Thiago?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan

Nice one duvva.

Yep, think we need to go relatively strong if only to get our best team match fit. We’re a confidence side and beating this lot sets us up for the second half with the bonus of a good Cup run.

No VAR in the Carabao? I ought to know the answer.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Loads of people weren't interested in this last season either - until Leicester started up with those fucking chants.

Let's get out there and tw@t them. I don't want City sniffing around another trophy, so it's up to us to knock them out, even if we don't go on to win it ourselves.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaddyPaned

• Anny Roader
Expect both teams to go quite strong. We normally get under their skin so let’s hope this is more of the same (and that we come out if it injury-free).

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
people saying they aren't bothered because of the importance of the competition

it's still friggin liverpool y'know - the club you support!

i want us to win every game - even a pub car park kick-a-bout  :wave

I'm not 'not bothered' about the League Cup - I love it - one of my favourite competitions - cup games are great.

I'm not bothered because this wankstain of a World Cup has taken any momentum out of the season. This has to go down as the worst season the English League has ever had in its history.

It's been so long since I've gone that I'm not sure I can be arsed. Might just sell everything on and pick it up in May when we can hopefully play a season that isn't shite. I know I'm not the only one thinking this as well. Football is like an addiction. You have a ST, so you have to go to every game. I'm on the Auto-ticket scheme as well so I go to every single home game.

But now we've missed a load (That are going to be re-arranged and fuck us up) and I'm like "Well, I've missed a month of football, does it matter if a miss a few more this season"

I expect that when it kicks off again I'll get into it, but at this exact moment in time, I couldn't give a shiny shite about the League or any of the cups. I'm hoping that there aren't loads of other fans thinking the same way otherwise we might be seeing something happening with football in the coming seasons. If people think "Nah. Costs loads, I missed a month and didn't care, maybe should save my money for my family and for more important things" - footy isn't the cheap escape it used to be - I live in Liverpool and even for me it costs a fortune on the ST/Ticket/Ale/Going out and if you've come from out of town - you can maybe add a pile of money for travel and for accomodation and all the rest.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Did I imagine Guardiola saying he would only have five senior players to choose from?  I only caught the headline so not sure what critieria he was using to come up with that.

For a squad of our quality we were under-represented at the World Cup but that's offset by the constant drag of injuries.  I reckon we can get a strong XI out without calling on any of our World Cup participants but I'll probably be told some of these are injured...

Kelleher

Ramsay
Matip
Gomez
Robbo

Elliott
Thiago
Keita

Salah
Bobby
Carvalho

Adrian, Phillips, Tsimikas, Milner, Jones, Ox and kids on the bench.

Alisson, Trent, Virgil, Konate, Hendo, Fabinho and Darwin can rotate back in for the first league game.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Did I imagine Guardiola saying he would only have five senior players to choose from?

Wouldn't believe a word that chucklefuck says.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hope we go strong and win. It's very easy to say 'other fish to fry' but we could easily be out of everything by Feb if things don't go right, so make the most of each opportunity in the moment, instead of smart-arsedly sacrificing a competition now on the off chance that we might do better in another competiton in the future.

Win, and let the future take care of itself.

:wellin
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Did I imagine Guardiola saying he would only have five senior players to choose from?  I only caught the headline so not sure what critieria he was using to come up with that.

For a squad of our quality we were under-represented at the World Cup but that's offset by the constant drag of injuries.  I reckon we can get a strong XI out without calling on any of our World Cup participants but I'll probably be told some of these are injured...

Kelleher

Ramsay
Matip
Gomez
Robbo

Elliott
Thiago
Keita

Salah
Bobby
Carvalho

Adrian, Phillips, Tsimikas, Milner, Jones, Ox and kids on the bench.

Alisson, Trent, Virgil, Konate, Hendo, Fabinho and Darwin can rotate back in for the first league game.

Uruguay went out on the 2nd December, Netherlands and Brazil went out on the 9th December and England on the 10th, so unless carrying a knock, they mostly all should be OK. Darwin and Trent will be well rested (Trent only got 35 mins I've read?), Hendo could be ready unless England broke him. Kelleher usually gets the League Cup anyway, did Fab play at all for Brazil? (Didn't watch the WC, so no idea). Virg is the one most likely to need a rest as I assume he played every game for the Dutch?
Jurgen YNWA