Author Topic: Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones  (Read 4958 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2023, 11:17:15 pm »
I was fishing when mine went off and nearly fell off my box.

Thought I'd turned it off.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2023, 08:25:22 am »

Knew it would be a fuck up. Probably developed by Sunaks next door neighbour

Think the requirements for the phones are too high.

You have to have iOS 14.5 or higher  or Android 11 or higher. Many phones will have older operating systems that can't do the alert.

Also you need to be connected to a 4G or 5G network at that moment - lots of regions still only have 3G or even 2G coverage. Especially the more rural places that are more likely to suffer from serious weather events and where people could do with the alerts....
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2023, 09:00:35 am »
Running android 12, on permanent 4G connection, Tesco SIM, didn't get the alert......maybe the 'system' knows I'm not in the UK ;)

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2023, 09:01:16 am »
that film scared me as a kid - but how did they get up the stairs?

Never heard of climbing ivy?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2023, 09:02:29 am »
Sounds like lots of people on Three didn't get it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2023, 09:45:13 am »
Running android 12, on permanent 4G connection, Tesco SIM, didn't get the alert......maybe the 'system' knows I'm not in the UK ;)

It does. It goes to all phones currently within reach of a specific mast (that is, all phones within a specific (or all, in this case) "cell" of the network). If you're not in the UK, you won't get it, no matter where the SIM is from. On the other hand, someone with a foreign SIM currently in the UK should get it.

Its the same with regions - if you bought your SIM in Liverpool, and you are in London and an alarm goes off for only London, you'll still get it. If you are in London and there is an alarm for only Liverpool, you won't get it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2023, 10:12:24 am »
Sounds like lots of people on Three didn't get it.

Think the requirements for the phones are too high.

You have to have iOS 14.5 or higher  or Android 11 or higher. Many phones will have older operating systems that can't do the alert.

Also you need to be connected to a 4G or 5G network at that moment - lots of regions still only have 3G or even 2G coverage. Especially the more rural places that are more likely to suffer from serious weather events and where people could do with the alerts....

Not like anything this govt is involved in hasn't been planned, thought out, properly developed and tested  ;)

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2023, 10:38:13 am »
It does. It goes to all phones currently within reach of a specific mast (that is, all phones within a specific (or all, in this case) "cell" of the network). If you're not in the UK, you won't get it, no matter where the SIM is from. On the other hand, someone with a foreign SIM currently in the UK should get it.

Its the same with regions - if you bought your SIM in Liverpool, and you are in London and an alarm goes off for only London, you'll still get it. If you are in London and there is an alarm for only Liverpool, you won't get it.

I got one in New York a couple of years back. They put out an extreme storm warning to all phones and I got it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2023, 10:49:04 am »
I guess I'm just going to have to rely on seeing if other people are running around screaming if I miss the "tsunami imminent" alert because my phone isn't advanced enough...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2023, 10:59:28 am »

Cheers - you weird techy geeky thing ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2023, 03:09:19 pm »
I always knew Nina Myskov was a fucking idiot, but on the Vine show this morning she trotted out the line that, in her opinion, the Govt think we are well on the way to a nuclear war and that's why this has come out :butt

Ever thought its to issue flood warnings/notifications when there is a severe storm hitting a specific area or a scrap yard or factory is on fire and toxic fumes are belching out? Dickhead.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2023, 03:34:08 pm »
Knew it would be a fuck up. Probably developed by Sunaks next door neighbour

Not understanding why it's a fuck up. Isn't the whole point of doing a test run to identify and fix any issues?
If they didn't test it, and there was a genuine threat and the likes of users on the 3 network didn't get it, yes that's a massive fuck up.
But this was a test. Issues have been identified and will be sorted. Where's the fuck up?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarįs Solo.
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2023, 03:41:17 pm »
Mine was loud, jumped out of my skin when my personal phone went off at 2.59pm then again 3mins later when my work phone went off. The wife’s phone was last to go off a couple of mins after that and I explained to her that the government was messaging people in a priority order so clearly they valued her life less than mine.

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2023, 03:45:14 pm »
Not understanding why it's a fuck up. Isn't the whole point of doing a test run to identify and fix any issues?
If they didn't test it, and there was a genuine threat and the likes of users on the 3 network didn't get it, yes that's a massive fuck up.
But this was a test. Issues have been identified and will be sorted. Where's the fuck up?

I'd be surprised if they change anything about the system.

I'd also be surprised if they surveyed the amount if people that actually got the alarm, compared to the 90% they assume get the alarm.

There's two things that have gone wrong already to me:

1. They planned a system that is reliant on modern technolgy, which is far less widespread than they think it is (too many areas not on 4G, too many phones not on new software). You'd expect things to get better in a few years, when people have upgraded their phones, but it smacks of the typical Tory reliance on "new technology will solve everything", without understanding the limitations of the technology

2. Communication about the system, what it is for, and how it works seem to have gone wrong. Most people I know have turned it off because "the government is spying on us". A warning system that nobody listens too is just completely useless.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2023, 03:48:50 pm »
Overreaching government arseholes.

What a right load of unnecessary nonsense this was & it cost £22 million to facilitate.

We don't get extreme weather conditions in the UK, and if there's ever a nuclear bomb on it's way, a text from the government ain't gonna change anything.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2023, 03:54:32 pm »

What a right load of unnecessary nonsense this was & it cost £22 million to facilitate.

We don't get extreme weather conditions in the UK, and if there's ever a nuclear bomb on it's way, a text from the government ain't gonna change anything.

:thumbup

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2023, 04:13:21 pm »
We don't get extreme weather conditions in the UK

Must have imagined the floodings, power cuts due to storms, etc that have become regular events over the last few years.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2023, 04:55:44 pm »

Its a fuck up because it was nowhere near ready for a national test. It's reliant on users having 4G or 5G, their operating system being up to date and the network handling it, none of which is remotley true. They need to develop it to use 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G and to be available across a lot of release. I'm still on Android 10, there are people on well older versions, same with IOS. As redbyrdz said, there are people in regions not covered by 4 and 5G who are the most likely to require the alerts.

You do small tests and you find and iron out the bugs before you push out a nationwide test. With loads saying they didn't get it, that immediately gives people the impression its shit, doesn't work and they'll ignore it in the future. Its like motorways in the UK, the matrix signs are wrong so often that people just ignore them now.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2023, 10:43:21 am »
I'd be surprised if they change anything about the system.

I'd also be surprised if they surveyed the amount if people that actually got the alarm, compared to the 90% they assume get the alarm.

There's two things that have gone wrong already to me:

1. They planned a system that is reliant on modern technolgy, which is far less widespread than they think it is (too many areas not on 4G, too many phones not on new software). You'd expect things to get better in a few years, when people have upgraded their phones, but it smacks of the typical Tory reliance on "new technology will solve everything", without understanding the limitations of the technology

2. Communication about the system, what it is for, and how it works seem to have gone wrong. Most people I know have turned it off because "the government is spying on us". A warning system that nobody listens too is just completely useless.

That's their own fault then. Let's just hope they're not caught out in a real emergency. No doubt they'd cry about not getting an alert and not knowing what to do  ::)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2023, 11:26:41 am »
That's their own fault then. Let's just hope they're not caught out in a real emergency. No doubt they'd cry about not getting an alert and not knowing what to do  ::)

If they are on 3, an old version of IOS or Android or not on at least 4G, they aren't getting it no matter what ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2023, 12:51:56 pm »
Just seen they're doing another test today - well, the Echo is reporting it but not seen it elsewhere.

Also, is it true that Sunak's wife owns the company behind them?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2023, 01:01:06 pm »
Also, is it true that Sunak's wife owns the company behind them?

I think they're being done by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everbridge
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2023, 01:37:55 pm »
I think they're being done by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everbridge

Ah right, there's a story going around that it was contracted by the government to Fujitsu, who then sub-contracted to Infosys which is Sunak's wife's company.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2023, 02:56:46 pm »

it'll go something like this -

take cover there's a nuclear bomb on the way

please send STOP if you no longer want to receive these messages

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2023, 03:19:57 pm »

"Great news for all 3 (surviving) customers - our coverage just went nuclear...... send STOP if you want to falloptout of these messages.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2023, 03:25:52 pm »

I'll be too busy whitewashing my windows to reply.  (one for the oldies ;D )
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2023, 03:33:44 pm »
Ah right, there's a story going around that it was contracted by the government to Fujitsu, who then sub-contracted to Infosys which is Sunak's wife's company.

Maybe not this one, but Infosys have been involved in £176m of government contracts in the last few years.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/mandrake-rishi-sunak-stays-tight-lipped-over-infosys/

Did anyone really think we left behind Tory corruption when Bozo went?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2023, 03:43:29 pm »

Maybe not this one, but Infosys have been involved in £176m of government contracts in the last few years.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/mandrake-rishi-sunak-stays-tight-lipped-over-infosys/

Did anyone really think we left behind Tory corruption when Bozo went?

Of course not, the entire Govt is bent as a nine bob note
Jurgen YNWA