Author Topic: The Arcade Fire  (Read 71251 times)

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Arcade Fire
« Reply #680 on: August 1, 2017, 03:38:23 pm »
What's "cringey" about them?

They sound like they were taken from a crap newspaper article about teenage angst. Maybe that's what they were going for (in which case, well done to them), but it just makes the song so hard to listen to.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #681 on: August 1, 2017, 04:08:58 pm »
One of the reasons I've dropped off as a fan is the lyrics. I feel like I could write out my teenage diary on a piece of paper, cut up the lyrics and draw them out of a hat for an Arcade Fire song.

If I could boil their lyrical themes into four words, I'd choose "come on kids, shout!"

It was fun for a couple of albums.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #682 on: August 1, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »
They sound like they were taken from a crap newspaper article about teenage angst.

Each to their own I guess.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #683 on: August 1, 2017, 04:59:14 pm »
One of the reasons I've dropped off as a fan is the lyrics. I feel like I could write out my teenage diary on a piece of paper, cut up the lyrics and draw them out of a hat for an Arcade Fire song.

If I could boil their lyrical themes into four words, I'd choose "come on kids, shout!"

It was fun for a couple of albums.

I don't agree with you at all. I know what you mean, but that's basically the first album (ish) and then No Cars Go on the second album. The rest of Neon Bible is dark and quite brooding with some of their most complex lyrics. The Suburbs is different again, a reflection on a childhood gone and a disappointing return to the same place now. Can't see any songs in your suggested vein at all. Reflektor was totally different lyrically once more and possibly their most abstract in some ways.

I agree (and said in the previous page) that their lyrics on this album are the weakest ever but it hasn't stopped me enjoying the album. I certainly don't think your analysis of their lyrics over all 5 albums is even close. I think there are just a few songs that fit your logic - Power Out, Rebellion, No Cars Go and Wake Up. Don't think it's relevant to the rest at all.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 05:24:02 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #684 on: August 1, 2017, 05:31:20 pm »
Well I haven't really offered an analysis of 5 albums worth of lyrics; I gave a jokey summation of their remit :)

I don't agree with you at all. I know what you mean, but that's basically the first album (ish) and then No Cars Go on the second album. The rest of Neon Bible is dark and quite brooding with some of their most complex lyrics. The Suburbs is different again, a reflection on a childhood gone and a disappointing return to the same place now.

I would say The Suburbs still definitely trades on general feeling of nostalgia and youth and elements of Reflektor still hankered on the same themes. I don't feel they've ever even tried to fully go beyond that identity. That's something I value in an artist, and by no means something an artist "needs" to do.

I don't normally like Pitchfork reviews but I think theirs for Everything Now captured a lot of what I'm feeling wrong about this album and their direction. Can I ask you what you think of that review?

This is an interestingly divisive album!

« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 05:33:17 pm by ToneLa »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #685 on: August 1, 2017, 11:03:41 pm »
I think the review makes some valid criticisms but I don't share their view on how much fun the album is to listen to. I really think that if a band who weren't Arcade Fire made this album it would be getting good reviews but they are suffering from the weight of expectation. So much of that review talks about what Arcade Fire "is", their identity etc. and what the reviewer was hoping or wanting from them, and felt like they didn't get. That's fine but I think it's an unfair prism with which to view new material.

It's probably their weakest album but I don't think it's a bad one. Everything Now is a fun song, I think Creature Comfort is brilliant (and it was spectacular live), I weirdly like Chemistry (but it lacks much ambition), Electric Blue is lovely, and I think Put Your Money On Me is one of my favourite songs since The Suburbs.

They've tried to do something and it hasn't quite worked. They're the victims of their own success and the fact that they've had this massive all encompassing marketing and media campaign has cranked the pressure up even further.

I'd give it 7.5 out of 10. Maybe 7 if I was being critical. But 5.6 is a bit ridiculous.

Each to their own, it's music and tastes are subjective. But I feel that some critics have been wanting to have a pop at the band for a while because they seem quite aloof and pretentious, and are going overboard in their reviews.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 11:08:34 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: August 1, 2017, 11:14:27 pm »

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: August 2, 2017, 12:05:31 am »
We Don't Deserve Love is the standout track on the album really. The album generally is quite good on its own but because it is AF album, it will be compared to the others, and so quite rightly is being regarded as the weakest album lyrically out of all them. I still find it enjoyable nevertheless although it could have done with less repetitive lyrics.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: August 4, 2017, 09:41:18 am »
Just got Friday night tickets for London, not selling out like they did last week if anyone missed out, just went on LiveNation and got them first time.

Originally had Wednesday tickets but Friday night is Friday night.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: August 17, 2017, 07:44:25 pm »
Do they sample 'Popcorn' on Put Your Money On Me?

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #690 on: August 19, 2017, 09:20:55 am »
I feel that some critics have been wanting to have a pop at the band for a while because they seem quite aloof and pretentious, and are going overboard in their reviews.

Agreed, huge amount of group think amongst what passes for the music press these days. Is it their best work? Probably not, but it's rowing on me more with each listen, and I think there are 3/4 tracks on it that are at least as good as anything they have done before and will become key elements of their set in the years ahead.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: August 19, 2017, 09:31:09 am »
Agreed, huge amount of group think amongst what passes for the music press these days. Is it their best work? Probably not, but it's rowing on me more with each listen, and I think there are 3/4 tracks on it that are at least as good as anything they have done before and will become key elements of their set in the years ahead.

The four at the end, Electric Blue, Good God Damn, Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love are all incredible tracks.

I put the headphones on last night after the family had retired to bed, indulged in another glass of Malbec and drifted off, must of hit the repeat button on 'We Don't Deserve Love' 5 or 6 times, it's a beautiful peice of music.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #692 on: August 19, 2017, 01:15:27 pm »
The four at the end, Electric Blue, Good God Damn, Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love are all incredible tracks.

I put the headphones on last night after the family had retired to bed, indulged in another glass of Malbec and drifted off, must of hit the repeat button on 'We Don't Deserve Love' 5 or 6 times, it's a beautiful peice of music.

Yeah still enjoying the album. Creature Comfort is great, I still find Chemistry fun, Electric Blue is lovely and really enjoying Put Your Money On Me.

And I still enjoy the loop!

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: October 27, 2017, 09:18:03 pm »
Heard the radio version of Creature Comfort for the first time today. Pathetic. The words 'suicide', 'pills' and 'cut' have been edited out, due to censorship I'd imagine. What a nanny state we live in.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: October 27, 2017, 10:45:28 pm »
Heard the radio version of Creature Comfort for the first time today. Pathetic. The words 'suicide', 'pills' and 'cut' have been edited out, due to censorship I'd imagine. What a nanny state we live in.

They should make their record label withdraw it from radio stations that do that. The song loses its message if you edit it.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: October 31, 2017, 11:55:57 am »

That's a great shout. Downloaded when first came out but not given it a proper listen. Just had it on while working and you're right all 4 excellent.
Cant get Creature Comfort out of my head, which may have something to do with it being on 6 music all the time. Did a long drive last Tuesday and it must have been played at least 3 times.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #696 on: November 2, 2017, 10:37:23 am »
Saw them last night. They were absolutely brilliant with a great set. A lot of empty seats though :(

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #697 on: November 2, 2017, 01:26:52 pm »
Saw them last night. They were absolutely brilliant with a great set. A lot of empty seats though :(

Windsor? Thinking about going to either the Friday or Saturday night shows in Toronto, tons of seats still available for both nights, even floor space still available for Saturday, which is really surprising.

What time did they kick off?
JFT96

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: November 2, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »

Think they've gone too big on this tour, 15k-20k capacity arenas probably are, and will always be, a bit too big for Arcade Fire, they've a cult following but are not particularly mainstream. Most people I know don't even know who they are (not a bad thing, keep it that way)

I see they split with their manager too recently, I reckon this might of had something to do with it.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #699 on: November 3, 2017, 02:01:02 am »
Windsor? Thinking about going to either the Friday or Saturday night shows in Toronto, tons of seats still available for both nights, even floor space still available for Saturday, which is really surprising.

What time did they kick off?

Broken Social Scene at 7:30 until 8:15... Arcade Fire runs from 8:50 to 11:00

Think they've gone too big on this tour, 15k-20k capacity arenas probably are, and will always be, a bit too big for Arcade Fire, they've a cult following but are not particularly mainstream. Most people I know don't even know who they are (not a bad thing, keep it that way)

I see they split with their manager too recently, I reckon this might of had something to do with it.

Yep. I think so. I also find it interesting that since they split with their manager they have purged the setlist of a fair bit of Everything Now tracks that were staples earlier on in the tour

The Windsor gig was clearly the smallest arena on this tour and even that didn't sell out. I'm guessing they opted for this over Detroit, due to Little Caesars Arena being unavailable.  I don't think they were helped by a few other factors like evening closures of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel for repairs. Given the amount of equipment they have for that massive screen alone, it must be costing a fortune for this tour. I reckon if they do any European festivals, they will be massively scaling back on a lot of unnecessary frivolities
« Last Edit: November 3, 2017, 02:27:38 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: November 3, 2017, 11:05:19 am »
Broken Social Scene at 7:30 until 8:15... Arcade Fire runs from 8:50 to 11:00

That's just wrong that you get to see both bands at the same gig. It would be like The War on Drugs supporting The National.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: November 3, 2017, 11:12:43 am »
That's just wrong that you get to see both bands at the same gig. It would be like The War on Drugs supporting The National.

Keep your kecks on fella.

https://www.allpointseastfestival.com/presents/the-national

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #702 on: November 3, 2017, 09:33:24 pm »
That's just wrong that you get to see both bands at the same gig.

Win Butler watched BSS from the floor. About five people went up to shake his hand. In a typically Canadian manner, everyone else around him just let him watch in peace

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: November 3, 2017, 09:56:54 pm »
Keep your kecks on fella.

https://www.allpointseastfestival.com/presents/the-national

And Future Islands? Thats 3 of my top 10 albums of 2017 done.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #704 on: March 16, 2018, 11:01:17 pm »

Yet another tune from Everything Now.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UymXRxJPOQo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UymXRxJPOQo</a>

We Don't Deserve Love is the standout track on the album really.

:wave

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W7SPIFAwwGA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W7SPIFAwwGA</a>

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: March 17, 2018, 02:48:38 pm »
I can't get enough of We Don't Deserve Love, probably listen to it everyday. Can't wrap my head around the lyrics though, obviously about a failing relationship, but what's that got to do with Mary and 'Christ types'?

4 weeks until London, can't bloody wait.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: April 12, 2018, 11:11:41 pm »
They've just done a Facebook live broadcast of the final song of tonight's show at Wembley, Wake Up,  followed by them leaving the arena doing Rebel Rebel with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, fucking brilliant.

I'm there tomorrow night, I can't wait.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156018058875225&id=152513780224
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:16:54 pm by LanceLink!!!!! »

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: April 12, 2018, 11:45:40 pm »
Saw them on Sunday at the Manchester arena and they were tremendous. Playing in the round made it feel much more intimate than an arena gig usually does.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: April 14, 2018, 04:08:26 pm »
Ridiculously good show from them in Wembley last night. My legs ache from all of the dancing and my liver aches from the abuse.

Got high fives from Win and Regine as the entered the arena.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: April 27, 2018, 06:59:27 pm »
Streaming their gig live from Paris on Saturday night (28th April)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:13:13 pm by LanceLink!!!!! »

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:52 pm »
Streaming their gig live from Paris on Saturday night (28th April)

That gig from Paris is now available to watch....

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/082394-000-A/arcade-fire-a-l-accorhotels-arena/

If you have 2 hours to kill give it a watch, it was one hell of a show.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: September 14, 2019, 08:30:43 pm »
Funeral was released 15 years ago today. One of the finest albums ever made.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #712 on: September 15, 2019, 08:36:57 am »
Funeral was released 15 years ago today. One of the finest albums ever made.

Yep. Absolutely brilliant. Bought it on the recommendation of a mate a few weeks after it came out and never looked back.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: September 15, 2019, 10:24:05 am »
Remember watching them on Jools Holland when I was living in London in 2005. Ran out the next day looking for the CD as I was astonished by the theatre I'd just seen. Still love the emotion of that Album. And Régine has always been a hottie.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: September 15, 2019, 05:15:17 pm »
Remember watching them on Jools Holland when I was living in London in 2005. Ran out the next day looking for the CD as I was astonished by the theatre I'd just seen. Still love the emotion of that Album. And Régine has always been a hottie.

Exactly the same, Jools Holland was on a Friday night and I was slightly worse for wear after a few drinks after work, I even wrote their name down in case I forgot it and was in HMV the following morning buying the album.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #715 on: November 4, 2020, 06:20:47 pm »
New material on Colbert last night.

I know reaction to the last album was mixed at best but it’s good to have them back!

https://twitter.com/arcadefire/status/1324048783244709888?s=20

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: November 5, 2020, 05:49:38 am »

I know reaction to the last album was mixed at best but it’s good to have them back!

Tune.

Always had a thing for Régine.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: November 5, 2020, 05:06:53 pm »

Like it, as with I Give You Power, I expect this is a political statement and won't be on the album.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: March 14, 2022, 04:50:41 pm »
Looks like new music is very soon

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: March 14, 2022, 08:51:34 pm »
Looks like new music is very soon

Great news!
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John