Author Topic: Pre-Season Thread  (Read 437637 times)

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pre-Season Thread
« Reply #7560 on: August 7, 2023, 09:23:42 pm »
Is the problem with the new system Robbo? What should become a ‘3’, is a lopsided 2.5 because he isn’t disciplined enough. The balance looked much better with Gomez.
It going be a 2.5 either way Look at Gomez he staying back but he knows the moments to go forward etc. Klopp still wants a little with some crossing. But it has be pick the right spots.
Robertson probably the one who doesnt fit the set up the most but good enough plus dont want change so much so fast etc.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #7561 on: August 7, 2023, 09:24:08 pm »
He wouldn't be if Chelsea would sell Colwill though (or we'd have got someone else capable in).

We haven't got many viable alternatives in the squad for that position.

Im struggling to believe a player like Robbo cant follow orders when Klopp tells him to stay back to be honest. Has to be by design the way he plays but just doesnt seem to work.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7562 on: August 7, 2023, 09:25:31 pm »
It's only pre-season but we look as sharp going forward as we ever have under Klopp.

A lot to work on defensively but we're capable of tweaking things to be more solid. The midfield has now evolved from Fabinho/Henderson/Wijnaldum but obviously won't have the same solidity although can give you a bit more on the ball.

A fineline between tightening up a bit or being a turbo version Keegan's Newcastle or 13/14 Liverpool.

To be honest, if we can get to February and still within contention we could push City and Arsenal but the problem is we are too porous at the back and we will have to rely on youth if more first teamers don’t come in, the small squad size will mean we pick up more injures and we have injury prone players in defence already

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #7563 on: August 7, 2023, 09:26:28 pm »

Awesome

He does this little leg pump thing that just mesmerizes the defenders and then he just chooses the direction opposite the defenders eyes. they are always leaning the wrong way. Not sure ive ever seen that before. its not a step over more of quick simple wave of the foot. and then the explosion.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7564 on: August 7, 2023, 09:26:40 pm »
Camera angles makes it as though it was mate.  ;D
🤣
few of their players will be waking up in a cold sweat tonight

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7565 on: August 7, 2023, 09:28:06 pm »
Im struggling to believe a player like Robbo cant follow orders when Klopp tells him to stay back to be honest. Has to be by design the way he plays but just doesnt seem to work.
Different area of pitch but it like Henderson, Milner, Can who struggled to stay within the shape and drift out of the MF. Expect it staying disciplined at LB

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #7566 on: August 7, 2023, 09:28:50 pm »
Doak is small, the Darmstadt player is far away.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7567 on: August 7, 2023, 09:32:34 pm »
Certainly be getting somebody in after Jurgens comment "we need to find a formation for the Chelsea game but that's not for the rest of the season"

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #7568 on: August 7, 2023, 09:37:27 pm »
Lawro's been spending too long in the Transfer thread
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #7569 on: August 7, 2023, 09:38:28 pm »
Why have we went away from the 433 that made us so successful. It didn’t work last season but that was mainly due to our midfield not being mobile enough to cover the ground. It was time to reinforce the midfield and go back to what made us so successful. This 3223 just doesn’t suit the personnel in the squad. Trent and Robertson are so good going forward and we’re limiting them by playing this system where robbo looks lost. You’ve also got konate doing the job of 2.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #7570 on: August 7, 2023, 09:41:09 pm »
The system were trying to play without a DM and only 2 CBs, City are playing with 4 CBs and 1.5 DMs (Rodri and Gundogan). I dont see how it will work with this personal to be honest

Online Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7571 on: August 7, 2023, 09:42:05 pm »
He wouldn't be if Chelsea would sell Colwill though (or we'd have got someone else capable in).

We haven't got many viable alternatives in the squad for that position.

That might be the way the system eventually goes, and I think it needs to but surely we could play any of our 4 senior CB’s and see similar results right now even if none of them are natural left footers.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7572 on: August 7, 2023, 09:44:06 pm »
My though for Starting XI after that is
Alisson
Trent-Konate-Virgil-Robertson
Mac Allister
?-Jones
Salah-?-Diaz

I feel Gakpo probably starting but not sure where. Jota/Nunez(gakpo in MF) or Elliott are my thought for the other one. Szoboszlai I feel like still getting used to everything and Klopp probably going want to not play 2 New Midfielders in game 1 of the season and Mac Allister played in the PL so gives him the edge.
Could flip Mac Allister/Jones around too.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7573 on: August 7, 2023, 09:44:29 pm »
The system were trying to play without a DM and only 2 CBs, City are playing with 4 CBs and 1.5 DMs (Rodri and Gundogan). I dont see how it will work with this personal to be honest

Gundogan has left
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #7574 on: August 7, 2023, 09:45:52 pm »
Why have we went away from the 433 that made us so successful. It didn’t work last season but that was mainly due to our midfield not being mobile enough to cover the ground. It was time to reinforce the midfield and go back to what made us so successful. This 3223 just doesn’t suit the personnel in the squad. Trent and Robertson are so good going forward and we’re limiting them by playing this system where robbo looks lost. You’ve also got konate doing the job of 2.

yeah I agree with that but we still conceded goals from balls over the top when we played 4-3-3
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7575 on: August 7, 2023, 09:49:04 pm »
yeah I agree with that but we still conceded goals from balls over the top when we played 4-3-3

We will be susceptible to it due to high line.

The personnel certainly suits 4-3-3 better.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #7576 on: August 7, 2023, 09:51:26 pm »
That... wasn't great.

With the best will in the world MacAllister is not a top class 6. He is more like Joe Allen, all heart, lots of good positioniong, but lacking the strength and power to truly dom,inate that area. You also lose the best part of his game, his ability to drive forward with the ball.

It was unnerving how often the ball over the top was undoing the backline. VVD used to be  able to cut out that ball easily with his pace, but seems to be either incapable or reluctant to do more than a handful of fast sprints in a game now.

The biggest issue was how unbalanced the side looked when TAA came into the middle, the Germans had two or three great chances at the start of the second half when he was caught out of position. It feels like TAA is being asked to do too much simply because the holding midfielder is just not capable of dominating that space he comes into to support.

Up front I would personally prefer Nunez to Jota, the front three of Diaz, Salah and Jota are too similar.

The new players look good but are adjusting, but it feels like the problems from last year are still unresolved.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7577 on: August 7, 2023, 09:55:11 pm »
Doesn't matter where he plays, Trent needs to cut out the sloppy passing.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7578 on: August 7, 2023, 09:58:05 pm »
Klopp mentioned Chelsea in post match interview and finding a solution for that match (but not the season). 

Could you we bit just okay 4-3-3 with Jones, Mac and one other?

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7579 on: August 7, 2023, 09:59:41 pm »
Klopp mentioned Chelsea in post match interview and finding a solution for that match (but not the season). 

Could you we bit just okay 4-3-3 with Jones, Mac and one other?
It probably more tactical stuff because it a bigger away game. Also Thiago and/Or Bajcetic are probably more ready for game 2.
I do think Jones and Mac Allister will play together not sure who going play with them

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7580 on: August 7, 2023, 10:04:06 pm »
It probably more tactical stuff because it a bigger away game. Also Thiago and/Or Bajcetic are probably more ready for game 2.
I do think Jones and Mac Allister will play together not sure who going play with them

Did Thiago come on earlier or is he still injured ?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7581 on: August 7, 2023, 10:08:15 pm »
Isn't it strange that this preseason we have only played one  quality team in bayern which exposed our weaknesses & the rest have been teams below our level. Strange.

Are Leicester below our level?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7582 on: August 7, 2023, 10:12:52 pm »
Did Thiago come on earlier or is he still injured ?
Both him and Bajcetic where back in training saturday. Didnt play today

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7583 on: August 7, 2023, 10:13:41 pm »

Something I never thought I'd see asked on RAWK
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7584 on: August 7, 2023, 10:14:09 pm »
We need to work on that offside trap. We had pretty much perfected it for a couple of seasons but there has been a drop off.

We also never look in the right shape to counter press when we lose the ball. Something is off with the distances between the lines and general shape.

Offline jsl2000

• Main Stander
« Reply #7585 on: August 7, 2023, 10:17:04 pm »

cos the games moved on.  All the top teams have moved to a dedicated no.9 and a system than utilises that.  False 9's are not exactly ten a penny anyway and we were very lucky to get someone like firmino that does that role so well.  I think you'd all be happier if you stopped thinking about DM's and no. 6's we need a good midfielder thats good at everything not just defending so we're not stuck when said dm gets injured.  Also remember these are friendlys our boss is trying shit out and seeing what works and where.  Chill people your all gonna blow a blood vessel at this rate.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7586 on: August 7, 2023, 10:18:23 pm »
It’s a shame Szobo will have to play straight away against Chelsea. He looks like he needs a bit more time despite his obvious quality. I’d have Jones in ahead of him but he’ll have to play as a 6.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7587 on: August 7, 2023, 10:20:18 pm »
cos the games moved on.  All the top teams have moved to a dedicated no.9 and a system than utilises that.  False 9's are not exactly ten a penny anyway and we were very lucky to get someone like firmino that does that role so well.  I think you'd all be happier if you stopped thinking about DM's and no. 6's we need a good midfielder thats good at everything not just defending so we're not stuck when said dm gets injured.  Also remember these are friendlys our boss is trying shit out and seeing what works and where.  Chill people your all gonna blow a blood vessel at this rate.

This just assumes every team plays the same way and the same system which is obviously not true at all.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7588 on: August 7, 2023, 10:21:32 pm »
It’s a shame Szobo will have to play straight away against Chelsea. He looks like he needs a bit more time despite his obvious quality. I’d have Jones in ahead of him but he’ll have to play as a 6.
Could play Elliott who's had a good preseason

Offline jsl2000

• Main Stander
« Reply #7589 on: August 7, 2023, 10:25:02 pm »
This just assumes every team plays the same way and the same system which is obviously not true at all.

no it doesn't.  How do you interpret "the top teams" as all the teams.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7590 on: August 7, 2023, 10:29:36 pm »
no it doesn't.  How do you interpret "the top teams" as all the teams.

Copying what others do rarely leads to success anyway, innovation does.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7591 on: August 7, 2023, 10:33:14 pm »
Both him and Bajcetic where back in training saturday. Didnt play today

Hopefully be in squad then.

We will score goals for fun this season. Just need to fix the issues at the back.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #7592 on: August 7, 2023, 10:33:36 pm »
Certainly be getting somebody in after Jurgens comment "we need to find a formation for the Chelsea game but that's not for the rest of the season"

Don't like the sound of those comments. What was preseason for?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7593 on: August 7, 2023, 10:34:41 pm »
Don't like the sound of those comments. What was preseason for?

Not to test a formation for one match.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7594 on: August 7, 2023, 10:36:30 pm »
Arsenal are doing the same, 4 CBs, 2 DM players

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #7595 on: August 7, 2023, 10:38:39 pm »
What ws the final score v Damstadt or whatever they're called please?
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #7596 on: August 7, 2023, 10:40:17 pm »
What ws the final score v Damstadt or whatever they're called please?
3-1
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #7597 on: August 7, 2023, 10:40:38 pm »

Didn’t expect to see Roy Hodgson on here!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #7598 on: August 7, 2023, 10:54:34 pm »
It’s been an odd preseason. So many goals at both ends. I expect a calmer experience when the season starts but I’m excited at how lethal this side looks yet uncertain about what it can achieve.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7599 on: August 7, 2023, 11:02:56 pm »
Looks like open season with our defence. Seems so porous at the moment. Hopefully our strikers will make up for the against column!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?