Author Topic: Skybet Championship Thread  (Read 195590 times)

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Skybet Championship 2019/20 Season Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 1, 2020, 10:13:35 am »
Looking at the top six as it stands, I'd like to see Leeds, Brentford and Forest in the Premier League next season.

Shouldn't say it after what happened last year, but I can't see Leeds throwing promotion away this season, think they'll drag themselves over the line this time around. Bielsa managing them in the Premier League would be great to watch.

Leeds, West Brom and Forest would be class. Fuck having more London or Southern clubs.  ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #361 on: July 1, 2020, 10:15:59 am »
Leeds, West Brom and Forest would be class. Fuck having more London or Southern clubs.  ;D
Exactly! Preston would also be good.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #362 on: July 1, 2020, 11:12:06 am »

I can walk to Brentford and having been to a fair few games in the last few seasons I’d have a chance of getting to some games. They can replace West Ham in the London quota. :D

West Brom seem a decent club and a a decent away trip but I’m a bit bored of them. Don’t like Forest so don’t want them up but would be a good, traditional name. Leeds would be good to see back.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #363 on: July 1, 2020, 12:30:55 pm »

Brentford are a bit more on an unknown quantity.

We know what we'll get from West Brom and Bilic. If they come up, they'll struggle - because of the way Brentford operate, I wouldn't really know what to expect from them. But I think they'd be more likely to have a go at making an impact rather than be happy to do just enough to survive like West Brom would do.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: July 1, 2020, 12:34:20 pm »
Wigan placed into administration.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: July 1, 2020, 12:36:29 pm »
Didn't realise how much trouble Stoke are in, a point above the bottom three and 3-0 down to Wigan.

And Wigan have just gone into administration.

Wigan Athletic falls into administration after 'significant impact' of Covid-19 pandemic - urgent race to find buyer begins

The club, which won the FA Cup in 2013, sits 14th in the Championship

Wigan Athletic Football Club has gone into administration after being hit hard by the coronavirus shutdown, it’s been announced today.

Administrators from Begbies Traynor made the announcement about the Championship club on Wednesday afternoon, and are now seeking out interested parties in a bid to rescue the North West club.

They added that the Covid-19 pandemic had a “significant impact” on the club’s recent fortunes.

Paul Stanley, North West regional managing partner of Begbies Traynor, said: "We understand that everybody connected with the club and the wider football world is seeking clarity on the future of Wigan Athletic.

“That's exactly what we are seeking to provide as we move through this process and we seek out interested parties to rescue this famous old club here in the region.

“It is a fast-moving situation and we will provide updates on key developments."

The club, founded in 1932, currently sit 14th in the EFL Championship and last night beat Stoke City 3-0 at their DW Stadium home ground.

The Latics competed in the Premier League between 2005 and 2013, also winning the FA Cup in 2013.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/wigan-athletic-falls-administration-after-18520620
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: July 1, 2020, 12:40:36 pm »

And so the tsunami begins.....

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: July 1, 2020, 12:41:27 pm »
Sadly, they probably won't the only club to end up in this situation.

Fingers crossed for them, hope they can find a solution and survive.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: July 1, 2020, 12:52:18 pm »
Will be a 12 point deduction if the rules are enforced, although I do remember seeing that they might relax things in the current climate? They would go bottom, but would probably fancy their chances of staying up if they can continue their current form.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: July 1, 2020, 01:01:54 pm »
It’s not really fair if the reason for administration is the COVID 19 break.
On the other hand Whelan sold to a Chinese consortium who I thought were loaded.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #370 on: July 1, 2020, 01:03:17 pm »

That's the second bad thing to happen to Dave Whelan. I'm not sure if anybody knows this, but he broke his leg in a FA Cup final once. He doesn't like talking about it though.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: July 1, 2020, 01:04:01 pm »
Sucks for Wigan that as they have been on a great run of form and Paul Cook is a top guy.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: July 1, 2020, 01:07:46 pm »
Matt Hancock will be calling for Premier League footballers to donate money to save Wigan Athletic soon.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #373 on: July 1, 2020, 01:24:41 pm »
Sad news and I doubt it will be the last.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: July 1, 2020, 01:32:15 pm »
The guardian says the got taken over just a month ago? It strikes me as odd to buy a club and almost immediately go into administration, even in these troubled times

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #375 on: July 1, 2020, 01:35:21 pm »
Sad news and I doubt it will be the last.

Definitely won't be the last. Also this is another indictment of the fit and proper persons test

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #376 on: July 1, 2020, 05:21:55 pm »
What's happened to Birmingham? When they won the League Cup in 2011, I was convinced with the brand name of the city, that they would get a super stadium by the NEC and a rich owner and become a force. Now they look nowhere near, even Wolves have surpassed them.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: July 1, 2020, 05:29:02 pm »
Derby are on a really good run.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #378 on: July 1, 2020, 05:34:07 pm »

Derby are on a really good run.

That last playoff spot is really up for grabs

Cardiff 61
Preston, Swansea, Derby 57
Blackburn, Millwall 56

You would think it will be one of them, so Derby's 5 wins in a row is a great show.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #379 on: July 1, 2020, 05:34:12 pm »
What's happened to Birmingham? When they won the League Cup in 2011, I was convinced with the brand name of the city, that they would get a super stadium by the NEC and a rich owner and become a force. Now they look nowhere near, even Wolves have surpassed them.

The owner got convicted for money laundering  from Wiki

In July 2007, Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung, via the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (SEHK)-listed company Grandtop International Holdings Limited (GIH), bought 29.9% of the plc from its directors. Although his intention to take full control of the club initially came to nothing,[119] GIH completed the purchase in October 2009 at a total cost of £81.5M, re-registered the club as a private company, and renamed the holding company Birmingham International Holdings (BIH).[120][121][122]

Trading in BIH shares was suspended in June 2011 after Yeung's arrest on charges of money-laundering.[123] Publication of financial results was repeatedly delayed,[124] which led the Football League to impose a transfer embargo,[125] and offers for the club were entertained from 2012 onwards.[126] After Yeung resigned his positions with both club and company in early 2014, share trading resumed,[127] and following his conviction,[128] efforts intensified to dispose of the club, which had to be done piecemeal in order to retain BIH's share listing.[129]

Going into 2015, the Football League made public their concerns over Yeung's attempts to impose his choice of directors on the BIHL board despite his conviction disqualifying him from exerting influence over a club.[130] Relationships became increasingly factional, as illustrated by the failure of three directors, including the club's de facto chief executive Panos Pavlakis, to gain re-election, followed the next day by their reinstatement.[131] On 17 February, the board voluntarily appointed receivers from accountants Ernst & Young to take over management of the company. Their statement stressed that no winding-up petition had been issued and the company was not in liquidation.[132][133]

In June 2015, the receivers granted a two-year exclusivity period to their preferred bidder, the British Virgin Islands-registered investment vehicle Trillion Trophy Asia (TTA), wholly owned by Chinese businessman Paul Suen Cho Hung. After striking deals with the previous major shareholders such that legal action against them would be dropped in return for their agreement not to obstruct any transfer of ownership, the receivers released a document in June 2016 setting out a timescale for the company restructure, share relisting and takeover, to be completed by the end of October. It confirmed that Suen would hold 60.78% of BIH shares and the Yeung faction no more than 14%, and that the company would not be sold on within two years.[134] The process completed on 17 October, leaving TTA owning 50.64% of BIH's share capital, a level of ownership that required them to make an offer for the remainder.[4]
#Sausages

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #380 on: July 1, 2020, 05:43:51 pm »
As long as Cardiff don’t get promoted again, I’ll be happy.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: July 1, 2020, 05:44:43 pm »
Great free kick from Rooney he's been class since he signed for Derby, if they get into the playoffs can't see anyone wanting to come up against them as usually the side that gets promoted is the one that have a great late season run of form which Derby are currently on.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #382 on: July 1, 2020, 05:48:45 pm »
Mad that even a 48 yr old, 19 stone Rooney is still head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: July 1, 2020, 05:59:01 pm »
Mad that even a 48 yr old, 19 stone Rooney is still head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.

I wonder if he'll manage the full 90? Usually his age limit is 75.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #384 on: July 1, 2020, 07:12:06 pm »
That's the second bad thing to happen to Dave Whelan. I'm not sure if anybody knows this, but he broke his leg in a FA Cup final once. He doesn't like talking about it though.

I don't believe you, surely we would have heard about it before.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline OOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: July 1, 2020, 07:31:51 pm »

Shame, Paul Cook has done a brilliant job with them.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #386 on: July 1, 2020, 08:18:21 pm »
If Derby get to the Playoffs then I'd think Rooney probably has enough quality even in the state he's in to win those matches on his own for them. 2 games to go now!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: July 1, 2020, 09:53:54 pm »
Brentford getting promoted would be strange, never seen them as a Premier League calibre team. Then again, I said the same about Bournemouth and Burnley

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #388 on: July 1, 2020, 10:23:09 pm »
Brentford getting promoted would be strange, never seen them as a Premier League calibre team. Then again, I said the same about Bournemouth and Burnley

What Bournemouth have done over the years has been stunning! Average Championship Attendance is 17k, average League One is 8.8k (with Sunderland propping it up massively), and their ground is 11.3k. They have massively overachieved for the last few years being where they are at, as everything about their club screams lower half of the Championship. Even most of their signings come from there (except the ones they buy from us!). If they lose Howe then it will be a long time till they're back up again.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: July 2, 2020, 10:03:14 am »

They're moving into a new stadium next season so it'll be a great time for them to get promoted (if fans are allowed back). They should be a lesson to everyone in that league that throws stupid money at journeyman players yet get nowhere doing it.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: July 2, 2020, 10:09:24 am »
Brentford are a very well run club and have been very innovative in how they have gone about it. Hoping Forest go up as I would rather play against bigger teams next year but wouldn't mind Brentford either.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: July 2, 2020, 10:20:48 am »
I think Forest would actually hold their own in the Premier League but nobody would enjoy watching them. Their record against the best sides in the Championship is excellent, but when they have to force the play they're ordinary. They certainly don't have delusions of grandeur about their skill level.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #392 on: July 2, 2020, 01:24:59 pm »
I'd like to see Leeds, West Brom, and Forest promoted to be honest - all 'big' clubs who it feels like should be at the top table.

That last playoff spot is really up for grabs

Cardiff 61
Preston, Swansea, Derby 57
Blackburn, Millwall 56

You would think it will be one of them, so Derby's 5 wins in a row is a great show.

Interesting to note that there have thus far been 49 Premier League clubs - Brentford, Preston, and Millwall all in the hunt to become the 50th.

However, football did not begin in 1992 and each of those three clubs have previously competed in the top flight.  Bristol City and Luton Town are the only other two clubs in the Championship who've never competed in the Premier League, but both of those have also competed in the top flight.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: July 2, 2020, 01:28:03 pm »
There are reports that Leeds could face legal action from Leipzig as they don't want to sign Jean-Kevin Augustin on a permanent deal now. Leipzig are insisting Leeds are obligated to do so if they're promoted, Leeds are arguing otherwise as they say the clause expired when the loan ended on June 30th and isn't now enforceable if they do go up.

Never a dull moment there.

Offline kloppagetime

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: July 2, 2020, 02:03:22 pm »
There are reports that Leeds could face legal action from Leipzig as they don't want to sign Jean-Kevin Augustin on a permanent deal now. Leipzig are insisting Leeds are obligated to do so if they're promoted, Leeds are arguing otherwise as they say the clause expired when the loan ended on June 30th and isn't now enforceable if they do go up.

Never a dull moment there.
Leeds can bottle promotion so they can get out of this deal  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: July 2, 2020, 06:57:39 pm »
Last minute winner for Hull and now Stoke are in the relegation zone. Also the only team down there that hasn't won at least one of their last two (losing both to relegation rivals). They play Barnsley at the weekend which is a huge match.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2020, 07:00:27 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: July 3, 2020, 05:14:29 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/02/story-of-how-wigan-collapsed-into-administration-au-yeung-investigation?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This Wigan in administration story is bizarre. It could be that they’ve been victims of complete fraudsters.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #397 on: July 3, 2020, 05:22:24 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/02/story-of-how-wigan-collapsed-into-administration-au-yeung-investigation?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This Wigan in administration story is bizarre. It could be that they’ve been victims of complete fraudsters.

I said on the Wigan thread it this sounds fishy as fuck, they brought just over 4 weeks ago then they enter admin, raises questions over the EFL too how they vetted the takeover.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2020, 05:30:04 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: July 3, 2020, 05:35:09 pm »

Could quite easily be conspiracy theory bullshit, but this guys seems to believe Wigan were put into administration so that they would be relegated, because their "old" owner placed a bet on them to be relegated.

https://twitter.com/marksparko/status/1279000646335836163?s=20

Offline OOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: July 3, 2020, 05:56:13 pm »
Ben Woodburn playing for Oxford in the play offs. On Sky Sports.