Author Topic: Manchester City v Everton  (Read 2756 times)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Manchester City v Everton
« on: February 7, 2024, 01:56:48 pm »
Wasn’t sure where to put and ask this

My Dads a city fan and there’s 7 of us heading over from Dublin for the game this Saturday , 7:25am flight out and back that night 11pm  for my Dads 70th birthday present …. Didn’t really want to stay over to be honest  or go but its a wish off my dad to got to stadium while he’s able to.

Just looking for advice where to go before and after the game for pints/food .
Even advice on travel from airport/city /stadium etc

All advice very welcome
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 7, 2024, 01:59:09 pm by rocco »

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
Re: Manchester City v Everton
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2024, 01:59:16 pm »

My Dads a city fan and there’s 7 of us heading over from Dublin for the game this Saturday , 7:25am flight out and back the night 11pm  for my Dads 70th birthday present …. Didn’t really want to stay over to be honest  or go but its a wish off my dad to got to stadium while he’s able to.

All advice very welcome
Thanks

Who you cheering for, Rocco? ;-)
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2024, 02:01:50 pm »
Who you cheering for, Rocco? ;-)

No one but will want city to drops points  …. Just want a safe trip mostly Liverpool fans going including and all close family ( son , 2 brothers , God son , brother in law and Dad , five Liverpool fans one city and one United )

Honestly just want to get in and out and hope my dad has a great trip

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2024, 02:44:37 pm »

My Dads a city fan and there’s 7 of us heading over from Dublin for the game this Saturday , 7:25am flight out and back that night 11pm  for my Dads 70th birthday present …. Didn’t really want to stay over to be honest  or go but its a wish off my dad to got to stadium while he’s able to.

All advice very welcome
Thanks

Can't really offer any advice on the trip but that's a really nice thing to do for your dad. You will make some great memories together.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2024, 04:20:29 pm »

All advice very welcome
Thanks

Are you flying into Manchester?  You can get a tram or train from the airport into Piccadilly and then get the Tram out to the Etihad.

I don't really go into the city centre much, but near Piccadilly Gardens, which has a Tram Stop, you've got a Yates's on Portland Street and there is a Sport Bar called The Directors Box on Booth Street our kid ran years ago. Was in there one Saturday night in November and it was a nice atmosphere, wasn't too busy either, food looked good from what I saw and I had no grief even with my strong scouse accent - just don't go shouting that you're Liverpool Supporters.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Directors+Box/@53.4795157,-2.244053,17z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x487bb1c1b1849105:0xd8035fc5cc216167!8m2!3d53.4794998!4d-2.2420038!16s%2Fg%2F11c6d_wwn0?entry=ttu

You won't get grief in the Gay Village. There's a couple of steakhouses on Deansgate that I've been told are decent. Its a shithole near the ground

There's a place called Society behind the Bridgewater Hall, I've been in there when a couple of City fans I know have been in, the go there before going the game, that was a decent place, different food options and beer. You get there by Tram from the Etihad, you might have to do a couple of changes, but the trams run every 10 mins or so  v

https://www.societymanchester.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Society/@53.4773139,-2.2454716,15.5z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x487bb110bb6403b7:0xdc0e7099e179742!8m2!3d53.4758224!4d-2.2449176!16s%2Fg%2F11r3pnzg3f?entry=ttu
Jurgen YNWA

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2024, 04:27:04 pm »
Whatever pub you go to, don't go to the one from their cringy clip, where all you get is pints of water...

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2024, 04:27:55 pm »
Hope Everton smash them all over and yer dad has the wankest day ever  ;D

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2024, 04:52:14 pm »
Are you flying into Manchester?  You can get a tram or train from the airport into Piccadilly and then get the Tram out to the Etihad.

I don't really go into the city centre much, but near Piccadilly Gardens, which has a Tram Stop, you've got a Yates's on Portland Street and there is a Sport Bar called The Directors Box on Booth Street our kid ran years ago. Was in there one Saturday night in November and it was a nice atmosphere, wasn't too busy either, food looked good from what I saw and I had no grief even with my strong scouse accent - just don't go shouting that you're Liverpool Supporters.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Directors+Box/@53.4795157,-2.244053,17z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x487bb1c1b1849105:0xd8035fc5cc216167!8m2!3d53.4794998!4d-2.2420038!16s%2Fg%2F11c6d_wwn0?entry=ttu

You won't get grief in the Gay Village. There's a couple of steakhouses on Deansgate that I've been told are decent. Its a shithole near the ground

There's a place called Society behind the Bridgewater Hall, I've been in there when a couple of City fans I know have been in, the go there before going the game, that was a decent place, different food options and beer. You get there by Tram from the Etihad, you might have to do a couple of changes, but the trams run every 10 mins or so  v

https://www.societymanchester.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Society/@53.4773139,-2.2454716,15.5z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x487bb110bb6403b7:0xdc0e7099e179742!8m2!3d53.4758224!4d-2.2449176!16s%2Fg%2F11r3pnzg3f?entry=ttu

Thanks for that

Yes flying

The trams are they cash only
« Last Edit: February 7, 2024, 05:07:56 pm by rocco »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 7, 2024, 05:06:31 pm »
Thanks for that

Yes flying

Save some money and pop round to Rob's for lunch.  :)
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 7, 2024, 05:07:12 pm »
Save some money and pop round to Rob's for lunch.  :)
:D

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #10 on: February 7, 2024, 05:32:01 pm »
Have a look at the real ale trail. Some good pubs on there that don’t attract too many dickheads within walking distance of Piccadilly station
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 7, 2024, 05:41:27 pm »
Have a look at the real ale trail. Some good pubs on there that don’t attract too many dickheads within walking distance of Piccadilly station

Tks

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #12 on: February 7, 2024, 05:45:59 pm »
sit om your hands and have some very strong toffee just in case the unimagined happens
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 7, 2024, 06:02:52 pm »
sit om your hands and have some very strong toffee just in case the unimagined happens

A bit worried about that especially with my Son and one of my brothers their very reactive

Probably best they’re playing Everton
« Last Edit: February 7, 2024, 06:05:14 pm by rocco »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14 on: February 7, 2024, 06:11:09 pm »
A bit worried about that especially with my Son and one of my brothers their very reactive

Probably best they’re playing Everton

You will be alright. The worst that can happen is a bit of shadow boxing, cos the majority of their fans in the Stadium are holograms.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 7, 2024, 06:13:41 pm »
You will be alright. The worst that can happen is a bit of shadow boxing, cos the majority of their fans in the Stadium are holograms.

I think Rocco only has to worry about Foden's mum.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: February 7, 2024, 06:17:38 pm »
I think Rocco only has to worry about Foden's mum.
Or Kyle Walker.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 7, 2024, 06:19:42 pm »
Or Kyle Walker.

Oh yeah. Maybe Liam Gallagher too.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: February 7, 2024, 07:18:14 pm »
Hoping for a 12-0 Everton win.

Come on you Welsh Wonders!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Achilles Heel

• Son of Thetis and Peleus, King of the Myrmidons. Possibly a hick from the Styx.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: February 7, 2024, 07:43:12 pm »

rocco

Take the train from the airport station to Piccadilly Station (about 20 minutes) and not the tram (an age).

You'll be getting into town early so a scran anywhere that takes your fancy and likewise with a pint.  Some of the boozers don't open til 12.

Loads walk to the stadium from town (25-40 minutes depending where from) but easiest on the tram. If you stay around Piccadilly, get on at Piccadilly Gardens and not Piccadilly Station. Easier to get on there because often they can be rammed but should be ok on a Saturday morning because none of the midweek rush hour travellers there.  If I take the tram in I like to be on one about an hour before kick-off. There are often problems because the service is shit and if that's the case there is still time to walk up if needs be. You need to buy a ticket before you get on from the machine - cash or contactless.

Coming back on the tram is a different story. It's worse for night games or if the weather is shit  but even on a saturday afternoon you might be waiting for an age to get on one and the crushing is both unpleasant and dangerous. Walking is far more popular after the game than before. Also there are buses lined up behind the south stand as an option to get back. They are very slow because the roads are blocked with walkers.

There are some pubs close-ish to the ground but not recommended for the obvious reason.  Up until this season there was a big outdoor drinking area by the Etihad metro station but that closed now due to the new building works. So, if you are thirsty you can always drink the expensive piss in the ground.

You shouldn't have any problem in the ground unless you are slagging off City or cheering for Everton. Presumably you have Irish accents anyway and you've bought you Dad a city scarf outside :)

Enjoy the City phemomonen of the stadium not filling up until about 10 minutes after kick off before emptying again 7 minutes before half time and not filling up again until 7 minutes after. Then the mass exiting starts at about 80 minutes. I hate it.

Enjoy your day.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2024, 07:48:10 pm by Achilles Heel »

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 7, 2024, 10:03:37 pm »
See if you can squeeze in a feed at Hawksmoor after the match.

Their Express Lunch Menu (to 6:30PM) is a great little entree into the amazing food they do on their A la carte menu.

https://thehawksmoor.com/locations/manchester/food/express-menu/
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 8, 2024, 11:54:49 am »

rocco

Take the train from the airport station to Piccadilly Station (about 20 minutes) and not the tram (an age).

You'll be getting into town early so a scran anywhere that takes your fancy and likewise with a pint.  Some of the boozers don't open til 12.

Loads walk to the stadium from town (25-40 minutes depending where from) but easiest on the tram. If you stay around Piccadilly, get on at Piccadilly Gardens and not Piccadilly Station. Easier to get on there because often they can be rammed but should be ok on a Saturday morning because none of the midweek rush hour travellers there.  If I take the tram in I like to be on one about an hour before kick-off. There are often problems because the service is shit and if that's the case there is still time to walk up if needs be. You need to buy a ticket before you get on from the machine - cash or contactless.

Coming back on the tram is a different story. It's worse for night games or if the weather is shit  but even on a saturday afternoon you might be waiting for an age to get on one and the crushing is both unpleasant and dangerous. Walking is far more popular after the game than before. Also there are buses lined up behind the south stand as an option to get back. They are very slow because the roads are blocked with walkers.

There are some pubs close-ish to the ground but not recommended for the obvious reason.  Up until this season there was a big outdoor drinking area by the Etihad metro station but that closed now due to the new building works. So, if you are thirsty you can always drink the expensive piss in the ground.

You shouldn't have any problem in the ground unless you are slagging off City or cheering for Everton. Presumably you have Irish accents anyway and you've bought you Dad a city scarf outside :)

Enjoy the City phemomonen of the stadium not filling up until about 10 minutes after kick off before emptying again 7 minutes before half time and not filling up again until 7 minutes after. Then the mass exiting starts at about 80 minutes. I hate it.

Enjoy your day.

Cheers bud

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 8, 2024, 12:03:42 pm »
Got this from our mate in Liverpool

Bowling Green in Chorlton. Safe pub. It’s in suburbs on route to the airport. My mate who’s an Irish lad is the landlord. Good beer and usually has the games on. If they ask nicely they might get it on in there.
You wouldn’t get it in city centre

https://www.bowlinggreenchorlton.co.uk/main/

Offline Achilles Heel

• Son of Thetis and Peleus, King of the Myrmidons. Possibly a hick from the Styx.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: February 8, 2024, 12:40:27 pm »
Got this from our mate in Liverpool

Bowling Green in Chorlton. Safe pub. It’s in suburbs on route to the airport. My mate who’s an Irish lad is the landlord. Good beer and usually has the games on. If they ask nicely they might get it on in there.
You wouldn’t get it in city centre

https://www.bowlinggreenchorlton.co.uk/main/

Good place if you want to stay out of town . Know it well from years gone by when I lived round the corner for a couple of years.
Maybe a 15 minute walk back to the tram stop to the airport.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2024, 05:22:55 pm »
Thanks for all advice

Great trip , pity about the result …..

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2024, 05:47:47 pm »
So gives us a rundown how the day went.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2024, 10:21:25 pm »
So gives us a rundown how the day went.
Left House with my lad  5:15am
Dublin airport 5:30 all 7 of us on time ,Pints all round
Flight 7:30
Arrived 8:30-8:45
Train to city centre
Free bus to Sport Bar /The Directors Box / pints no breakfast on menu
Grabbed quick Greggs
On tram to the stadium
Pints and Food there
Game not  great , atmosphere average but we all had great crack
Dad happy/while shedding a few tears when blue moon came on
New hat for Dad from their club shop and a few photos of him around the ground
Tram Q looked 2 miles long
Decided to walk to city centre 40 mins
Ended up in Yates bar … pints non stop and food
40 year girl taking a fancy to my young lad (19) , he broke out in a sweat :D
Walked to train station
Walked to departures
More pints and KFC family buckets and bottles of whiskey from duty free
Totally wrecked on flight
Taxi home 1am
Food then Zzzz

All round good bonding day for us , more my dad delighted to have his 3 sons , son in law and 2 grandchildren all together just having the crack all day …. haven’t laughed as much in ages , especially my son sweating with fear of a rough Manchester girl having her eyes on him :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 10:26:45 pm by rocco »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2024, 10:25:39 pm »
Nice. How was the traffic near the ground?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2024, 10:30:38 pm »

We got tram two stops before Piccadilly Station , it’s was jammed  at Piccadilly Station , most not allowed on tram at Piccadilly Station.
Handy you can tap on and off with your credit card .
Didn’t notice other traffic like coaches/cars

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2024, 11:15:40 pm »
;D

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2024, 11:15:52 pm »

especially my son sweating with fear of a rough Manchester girl having her eyes on him :D

Somebody is going to remember the day forever.  :lmao
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Achilles Heel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2024, 12:26:07 pm »
Train to city centre
Grabbed quick Greggs
On tram to the stadium
Pints and Food there
Walked to train station
Walked to departures
Taxi home 1am
Food then Zzzz

All round good bonding day for us , more my dad delighted to have his 3 sons , son in law and 2 grandchildren all together just having the crack all day …. haven’t laughed as much in ages , especially my son sweating with fear of a rough Manchester girl having her eyes on him :D

Great update and happy enjoyed by all but particularly for your dad. I'm an old school City fan by the way so I loved the hat and his bluemoon emotion :)
Also, pleased the travel around town was easy for you and more or less as I said it would be  and also you used Rob's tip  for the sports bar.

I was there (I always am) and yep not the best of games. Atmosphere poor 1st half ( always is for 12.30 ko and often is unless for the biggest games) but better from early in the 2nd half with the Everton  time-wasting and when the big boys came out to play.  At least your dad got to see the emptihad in it's full glory  :D  ie as I said, loads of empty seats at the start/end and before/after half time but full (mainly) for the rest.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2024, 01:09:47 pm »
Train to city centre
Grabbed quick Greggs
On tram to the stadium
Pints and Food there
Walked to train station
Walked to departures
Taxi home 1am
Food then Zzzz

It wasn't Fodens mum was it 😂

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2024, 02:40:01 pm »
I hear Panacea is back open again. £250 lobsters ahoy, jam packed with Wags and wannabees
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2024, 02:51:12 pm »

Grabbed quick Greggs

Hope he took her to Greggs  ;)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2024, 05:15:16 pm »
Hope he took her to Greggs  ;)
For a bit of finger pie?

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2024, 08:37:35 pm »
For a bit of finger pie?

The rawk special!