Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 112716 times)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #280 on: March 6, 2017, 03:36:07 pm »
No, Nintendo fans buy the consoles for exclusives. If they want to take back a competitive share of the console market they need to launch with well known third party titles to get people onboard.
I think they'd do far better by forging ahead in their own direction. Versions of titles like FIFA and Call of Duty are going to be lightweight in comparison to their PS4 and Xbox One counterparts.

Nintendo will prosper - but likely not dominate - again if they continue to make first rate original titles that complement the unique qualities of the Switch. The Wii did just that, there was a buzz about this new way of playing and consequently it surpassed the sales of the PS3 and 360.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: March 6, 2017, 03:39:21 pm »
I think they'd do far better by forging ahead in their own direction. Versions of titles like FIFA and Call of Duty are going to be lightweight in comparison to their PS4 and Xbox One counterparts.

Nintendo will prosper - but likely not dominate - again if they continue to make first rate original titles that complement the unique qualities of the Switch. The Wii did just that, there was a buzz about this new way of playing and consequently it surpassed the sales of the PS3 and 360.
The Wii had an extensive library of third party games that contributed to its success.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #282 on: March 6, 2017, 03:45:45 pm »
The Wii had an extensive library of third party games that contributed to its success.
Not known titles like you mentioned though. The most successful third-party games weren't the likes of FIFA or Call of Duty, they were titles that utilised the Wii's USP. Even then the sales were somewhat paltry compared to those of Nintendo's games.

Of the 25 highest selling games on Wii, 23 were made by Nintendo.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: March 6, 2017, 03:47:08 pm »
At least there were the standard third party titles like Call of Duty and Fifa.

I get that for lots of people these titles might be a factor, but for those with any taste whatsoever, they're not an attractive proposition :P

No, Nintendo fans buy the consoles for exclusives. If they want to take back a competitive share of the console market they need to launch with well known third party titles to get people onboard.

I think they've made it pretty clear this isn't their strategy, otherwise they would have made the Switch more powerful in comparison to the other consoles.

Not saying their strategy is right, they've been horrendous the last few years, but I'm sure they've thought of this. PS4 came out end of 2013, Uncharted 4 didn't land until early 2016, that's over two years of basically not much to play (for me, anyway). Switch has Zelda from the off. Yeah OK I can't play the latest RoleCall of Swearing 12 Year Olds or FIFA Ultimate Scripted edition, or UbiCreedDogsCryRecon but I'm clearly not arsed. My PS4 was basically a Netflix machine for about a year. At least it can do Netflix though, FFS Nintendo :lmao

Cancelled my preorder anyway, but I will pick one up at some point.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 6, 2017, 03:48:21 pm »
Not known titles like you mentioned though. The most successful third-party games weren't the likes of FIFA or Call of Duty, they were titles that utilised the Wii's USP. Even then the sales were somewhat paltry compared to those of Nintendo's games.

Of the 25 highest selling games on Wii, 23 were made by Nintendo.
Even considering that, the Wii is not something to try and be replicated. It was a one off. Their best bet is to try and capitalise on the portability usp of the Switch supported by a library of third party titles.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: March 6, 2017, 03:52:30 pm »
I get that for lots of people these titles might be a factor, but for those with any taste whatsoever, they're not an attractive proposition :P
Irrelevant. For 90% of the console buyers in the UK the first question they ask themselves is "can I play Fifa and/or a shooter on it?"

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #286 on: March 6, 2017, 03:57:27 pm »
Even considering that, the Wii is not something to try and be replicated. It was a one off. Their best bet is to try and capitalise on the portability usp of the Switch
Yeah, like I said...
Nintendo will prosper - but likely not dominate - again if they continue to make first rate original titles that complement the unique qualities of the Switch.

supported by a library of third party titles.
Unique ones, yes. They don't need the giant franchises like Call of Duty and FIFA. The PS4 and Xbox One already provide a better platform for those than Nintendo ever will.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: March 6, 2017, 04:03:16 pm »
Switch will have a lot of 3rd party titles. I wouldn't worry about that. In a few months, it'll already have a decent amount of exclusively developed indy titles that'll directly appeal to it's portable properties, more so than the home console aspect. That's a huge deal. I think a lot of people are underestimating just how much of a draw the Switch is in terms of it's portability. It's a hand-held system that packs more power than previous gen consoles. That's nothing to be scoffed at. Once the Switch gets a couple of decent titles in it's library, it'll snowball. The design of it's hardware is just too good to fail.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: March 6, 2017, 04:12:23 pm »
Irrelevant. For 90% of the console buyers in the UK the first question they ask themselves is "can I play Fifa and/or a shooter on it?"

You said...

I don't know how you could justify buying one of these in its current state.

Even by your own words, there's 10% of people there who aren't arsed about CoD or FIFA.

Zelda is more than enough justification for any gamer to buy a Switch. It's not for everyone, and as you say, some people will demand the 3rd party support. But to suggest there's literally no reason to buy one is erroneous.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: March 6, 2017, 04:44:25 pm »
You said...

Even by your own words, there's 10% of people there who aren't arsed about CoD or FIFA.

Zelda is more than enough justification for any gamer to buy a Switch. It's not for everyone, and as you say, some people will demand the 3rd party support. But to suggest there's literally no reason to buy one is erroneous.
Like bollocks it is, £400 for one game?

You're missing the point. If Nintendo want to make a dent in Microsoft and Sony's market share in the west they need third party support.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: March 6, 2017, 06:07:16 pm »
Like bollocks it is, £400 for one game?

You're missing the point. If Nintendo want to make a dent in Microsoft and Sony's market share in the west they need third party support.
You're not paying that for one game, though. You're paying that for the system and its potential, which currently is what the Switch is, more so than any other system on the market. They aren't looking to take on Sony or MS, thankfully, and the design of the console proves that. In fact, Nintendo haven't done that since the Gamecube days. They're targeting their own niche, and given Nintendo's history and dominance of the handheld market, they know more about that than anyone. Games will come, and as I said, I'd personally prefer it if their 3rd party support offered something unique to the platform, rather than them just being lazy bastards and porting another dull version of Fifa or COD. If they do, fair enough, but again, the selling point of those games will be the ability to play them anywhere either with just one Switch or multiple. The point is, it's OK saying you need 3rd parties, but that's not enough. Their games need a hook or something that differentiates themselves over the other systems, otherwise what's the point?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 6, 2017, 06:17:55 pm »
My roommate has a Wii U and is buying Zelda for that. And then he's going to buy a Switch and Zelda for that too. I think some Nintendo fans genuinely just like buying their stuff.

And it's great for me, because now I don't have to buy anything!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: March 6, 2017, 06:39:30 pm »
You're not paying that for one game, though. You're paying that for the system and its potential, which currently is what the Switch is, more so than any other system on the market. They aren't looking to take on Sony or MS, thankfully, and the design of the console proves that. In fact, Nintendo haven't done that since the Gamecube days. They're targeting their own niche, and given Nintendo's history and dominance of the handheld market, they know more about that than anyone. Games will come, and as I said, I'd personally prefer it if their 3rd party support offered something unique to the platform, rather than them just being lazy bastards and porting another dull version of Fifa or COD. If they do, fair enough, but again, the selling point of those games will be the ability to play them anywhere either with just one Switch or multiple. The point is, it's OK saying you need 3rd parties, but that's not enough. Their games need a hook or something that differentiates themselves over the other systems, otherwise what's the point?
They are definitely aiming to fight back at MS and Sony, otherwise they wouldn't have gone for the portable usp. They're trying something different to get people's attention. At the end of the day their main target market is kids and the availability of big third party titles will be an important part of the Switch's success, as well as the first party ones, as most kids or families will only have one home console.

My point still stands, I think it's a waste of money to get one now unless you're a die hard Zelda fan and even then you'd probably have a Wii U anyway.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 06:41:39 pm by thelinnen »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 6, 2017, 07:24:55 pm »
Almost makes me wish I had a train commute like I used to. Almost.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: March 6, 2017, 09:27:50 pm »
I'm deffo getting one of these just for the appeal of Zelda and the upcoming Mario games.

This for the Nintendo exclusives and PS4 Pro for all the third party games thelinnens been moaning about and the better graphics.

Win/Win.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 6, 2017, 09:59:32 pm »
I might get one once they bring some super Mario and Mario kart to it

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 6, 2017, 10:15:40 pm »
I'm probably going to get pushed into buying it when the next Pokemon comes out. Feels like a backwards step not having a 2nd screen though
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: March 6, 2017, 11:00:22 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cb-srOfRqNc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cb-srOfRqNc</a>
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: March 6, 2017, 11:10:05 pm »
They are definitely aiming to fight back at MS and Sony, otherwise they wouldn't have gone for the portable usp. They're trying something different to get people's attention. At the end of the day their main target market is kids and the availability of big third party titles will be an important part of the Switch's success, as well as the first party ones, as most kids or families will only have one home console.

My point still stands, I think it's a waste of money to get one now unless you're a die hard Zelda fan and even then you'd probably have a Wii U anyway.
They definitely aren't fighting Sony or MS. They aren't that stupid, and they realised that after the Gamecube came out, hence the reason why the Wii happened. They've reinvented themselves, and the Switch is looking like the sum evolution as a result. They know they have their own market and target demographics, such is the strength of their exclusives. Most buy their hardware just for them alone, and now that they have a system that caters to both home and portable markets - they're sitting on a potential goldmine. The concepts and markets behind the Switch could potentially print money for them. I don't get the argument that Nintendo's targeted demographic are kids. Why would it be? Good, well made games and fun doesn't have an age limit.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #299 on: March 6, 2017, 11:44:19 pm »
I don't get the argument that Nintendo's targeted demographic are kids. Why would it be? Good, well made games and fun doesn't have an age limit.
I hate when people use the "childish" argument. In certain circles it's more acceptable to play Call of Duty than Zelda. I have nothing against Call of Duty, but one of these series has serious artistic credibility and the other is brainless by comparison. People who call Nintendo games childish are usually immature and/or uninformed.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: March 6, 2017, 11:56:20 pm »
I hate when people use the "childish" argument. In certain circles it's more acceptable to play Call of Duty than Zelda. I have nothing against Call of Duty, but one of these series has serious artistic credibility and the other is brainless by comparison. People who call Nintendo games childish are usually immature and/or uninformed.
The irony is that  Activision and EA have both made statements that inadvertently alluded to the fact that they both target kids as their primary demographic for games that are adulted rated. Ooops. Anyone who's ever played either COD of Battlefield online can attest to being mouthed off to by pre-teen brats on a regular basis.

Offline snez1

• Kopite
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers
« Reply #301 on: March 7, 2017, 11:04:49 am »
Enjoying mine so far. It's essentially a Zelda machine and while I was super down on that presentation in January I feel like they've turned a corner somewhat.

The plethora of indie games is a major boost and it seems to be selling well. The line up for the next few months has been padded decently too and I imagine we'll be getting the likes of Netflix, Youtube, Browser etc over the coming months.

Us early adopters are essentially testers for the machine but given it's design quality and the fact that I can play Breath of the Wild on a fucking handheld, I'm fine with that. Snipperclips, Shovel Knight and FAST at launch also helps a lot.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: March 7, 2017, 11:30:00 am »
Enjoying mine so far. It's essentially a Zelda machine and while I was super down on that presentation in January I feel like they've turned a corner somewhat.

The plethora of indie games is a major boost and it seems to be selling well. The line up for the next few months has been padded decently too and I imagine we'll be getting the likes of Netflix, Youtube, Browser etc over the coming months.

Us early adopters are essentially testers for the machine but given it's design quality and the fact that I can play Breath of the Wild on a fucking handheld, I'm fine with that. Snipperclips, Shovel Knight and FAST at launch also helps a lot.

I think they should of had Mario Kart to release end of March.  End of April is too long.

Early sales are ok.

80,000 first weekend in the UK with pretty much all allocation sold.

331k in Japan

US numbers not out but Nintendo confirmed Fri-Sat sales were the highest 2 day sales they have had for any system (handhelds not included).  Did more than the Wii but that was heavily supply constrained.

Zelda also highest selling stand alone launch title.  Sold more than Mario 64.

Offline snez1

• Kopite
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers
« Reply #303 on: March 7, 2017, 11:34:34 am »
Yup, very encouraging number considering they're coming off the Wii U, launching in March with essentially one game and not at a cheap price point.

Perhaps they're holding off on Mario Kart for an extra couple of weeks so that places can restock.

I know it sold a lot on Wii U but to the many people who didn't buy that console (and even some who did), Mario Kart is going to be a big deal. Potentially another system seller so guessing that's why they've spaced it out a bit from Zelda.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: March 7, 2017, 12:47:50 pm »
Yup, very encouraging number considering they're coming off the Wii U, launching in March with essentially one game and not at a cheap price point.

Perhaps they're holding off on Mario Kart for an extra couple of weeks so that places can restock.

I know it sold a lot on Wii U but to the many people who didn't buy that console (and even some who did), Mario Kart is going to be a big deal. Potentially another system seller so guessing that's why they've spaced it out a bit from Zelda.

Yeah Mario Kart should be huge.  I had it on Wii U but will buy again (even thought I find it a joke no new tracks) as portability is a big thing.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #305 on: March 7, 2017, 01:09:21 pm »
Just saw this, I am deffo gonna get one but not on launch going by these videos, the dock part is especially disappointing, seeing the guy take it apart, it's mostly plastic and bad quality at that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #306 on: March 7, 2017, 01:36:14 pm »
Could really do with a redesign of certain elements in a 2nd iteration - seems they've got some stuff just right, but other stuff quite badly wrong. It's like a mad jumble of extremely high quality premium hardware and corner-cutting cheapo shit; weird as fuck decision, that.

I know minimising production cost is important, but you can't really skimp with an expensive 'transformer' concept like this. They'd have been better off charging a bit more with each unit for a completely premium-quality product, dock and all. An unprotected screen easily scratched to shit by the block of cheap plastic it's meant to be inserted into and taken out of constantly; the charging port at the bottom, preventing kickstand use while juicing up; that utterly insane situation where the controllers can very easily be clicked together the wrong way round, and then cannot be prised apart again by even a healthy adult without the use of certain tools... how any of that got past the initial design stage is beyond me.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 7, 2017, 02:32:40 pm »
Just saw this, I am deffo gonna get one but not on launch going by these videos, the dock part is especially disappointing, seeing the guy take it apart, it's mostly plastic and bad quality at that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

I think a lot of us were guilt of overestimating what the dock was going to do. Because it had turned out to be - essentially - a pass through device we're a bit disappointed.

I can see third parties releasing their own docks for the switch. It doesn't look particularly difficult to manufacture.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 7, 2017, 04:12:33 pm »
I think a lot of us were guilt of overestimating what the dock was going to do. Because it had turned out to be - essentially - a pass through device we're a bit disappointed.

I can see third parties releasing their own docks for the switch. It doesn't look particularly difficult to manufacture.

Really disappointed with it.  Its just all plastic with a little electronics.  $90 for an extra one is insane when it looks like it cost about $5 to produce.

Hopefully there will be third party ones which look a lot better and priced accordingly.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: March 7, 2017, 04:13:02 pm »
Could really do with a redesign of certain elements in a 2nd iteration - seems they've got some stuff just right, but other stuff quite badly wrong. It's like a mad jumble of extremely high quality premium hardware and corner-cutting cheapo shit; weird as fuck decision, that.

I know minimising production cost is important, but you can't really skimp with an expensive 'transformer' concept like this. They'd have been better off charging a bit more with each unit for a completely premium-quality product, dock and all. An unprotected screen easily scratched to shit by the block of cheap plastic it's meant to be inserted into and taken out of constantly; the charging port at the bottom, preventing kickstand use while juicing up; that utterly insane situation where the controllers can very easily be clicked together the wrong way round, and then cannot be prised apart again by even a healthy adult without the use of certain tools... how any of that got past the initial design stage is beyond me.

Does it feel as cheap and badly designed in hand as those videos make out?

I was planning on waiting a while and picking one of these up when the price drops a little and a few more games come out. But watching that video and all the reports of dead pixels etc it's killed any interest I had.

Any videos of experts taking them apart and seeing if they really are a piece of shit?

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: March 7, 2017, 04:22:44 pm »

I was planning on waiting a while and picking one of these up when the price drops a little and a few more games come out. But watching that video and all the reports of dead pixels etc it's killed any interest I had.

Any videos of experts taking them apart and seeing if they really are a piece of shit?

The switch feels great in the hand. Doesn't feel cheap at all.

The Wii U gamepad felt cheap.  This feels way better than that.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2017, 04:24:23 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: March 7, 2017, 04:39:59 pm »
The dock was always intended to be just that - a dock. Nintendo never stated anything otherwise. I think people just assumed it to be something else, because outward appearances made it look like it had something premium hidden under it, which it does, but that only serves to act as a breakout from the main hardware to the TV. The interesting thing with it, though, is that it looks like there's extra connectivity for an expansion of sorts to be placed inside there. Having it light and almost cheap doesn't concern me. What concerns me is how well constructed it is so parts don't just snap off it or bend like the docking port itself. Also, the potential of scratching up the screen when putting the thing in and out. It could be that some people were just careless in doing that, or that there's some shoddy build quality units in circulation, but either way, I think it wise to wait to see if Nintendo address any concerns regarding that. They might have a revision, but then again, that does send a bad message. It could just be a few defective systems and there's actually nothing really much wrong with its design overall. The internet does tend to overreact with these "disaster" type launch videos, painting stuff broken, shoddy products when in reality they actually aren't.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: March 7, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »

Jerry Rig Everything, a 500k+ subscriber youtube channel that stress-tests consumer electronics gave it his seal of approval.

The screen is easily scratched because it is plastic. It is therefore also easily repaced. He had to put all his force to break the joycon from the main body - you get to see in the videos how white his hands go from the effort and that only breaks because the screws come away from the Switch from a force that would never be applied to it. He said everything is high quality for the price and it's important to remember that this thing is a quarter the price of a modern mobile.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: March 7, 2017, 04:48:21 pm »
Breakdown of the unit for anyone interested in build quality and what's in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obz5tE1mdV0

Dock and Joycons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DZ_zNTPPVY
« Last Edit: March 7, 2017, 05:03:42 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #314 on: March 7, 2017, 05:05:03 pm »
The screen is easily scratched because it is plastic. It is therefore also easily repaced.
It would make more sense to simply have a screen protector and a less abrasive (soft fabric?) port entry come with the original system itself, than to stress the ease of replacing parts. It's actually a very easy DIY fix to guard against damaging the screen with its intended continual interaction with the dock, but that shouldn't be necessary, it shouldn't involve any extra expense beyond what comes in the box.

I personally don't see it as the big issue, with it being so trivially avoided/mitigated. The awkward positioning of the charge port (if you still want a standing screen) and apparent difficulty in taking the controllers apart if you made the easy mistake of snapping them together the wrong way, those are the not-so-simply-overcome design flaws that could really do with being looked at. There should be a simple guard against being able to snap them together the incorrect way (other than with the symbols - both little kids and thick people will be using this every day), or a mechanism to easily detach them if that happens.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 7, 2017, 05:27:14 pm »
it's important to remember that this thing is a quarter the price of a modern mobile.
This is a very good point to make, especially when you consider it's capabilities.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: March 7, 2017, 05:48:48 pm »
... especially when you consider it's capabilities.

Such as?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #317 on: March 7, 2017, 08:54:16 pm »
and it's important to remember that this thing is a quarter the price of a modern mobile.

Not sure what phones you are referring to but I've seen the console up for £250 - £300 and my Galaxy S7 EDGE was £400

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 7, 2017, 09:06:02 pm »
Such as?
That it's got a fairly substantial upgrade on previous gen consoles as far as what its capable of putting out. Yet the thing fits in the palm of your hand, has it's own screen, power supply, wifi and online capabilities as well as a storage bus. You have to remember that it wasn't that long ago where previous gen systems had major issues with heat related problems causing red and yellow lights, not to mention they were the size of a VCR. To cram all that processing power and everything else into a handheld unit is amazing engineering. Barring nVidia Shield, I don't think there's a phone or tablet on the market that competes with that.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2017, 09:07:49 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: March 7, 2017, 09:09:50 pm »
Not sure what phones you are referring to but I've seen the console up for £250 - £300 and my Galaxy S7 EDGE was £400

I was paraphrasing the video, which is American, but even in the UK the RRP on the Galaxy S7 edge is still £580 and was higher at launch. The iPhone 7+ starts at 719. With import tax the Xaomi Mi Mix is getting towards a grand and most of the Triple A phones at launch are well over £600 - my Note 4 was, for example.

The point wasn't really a specific cost analysis, but a reference to people moaning about the fact that the Switch hasn't got x, y or z, forgetting that this is a built-from-the-ground-up mobile console which had to come in under £300 to stand a chance of succeeding. there had to be compromises, both related to practicality and cost. Specifically people were moaning about the screen not being 1080p "because my mobile has one", whilst forgetting that super screens cost super money and it's one of the main reasons mobiles are so expensive and why they have to have enormous batteries (relative to their size) to last a day. People don't associate phones with great cost because we pay for them over 24 months and we forget that contracts are mainly paying for the phone.