Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1846310 times)

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2007, 08:50:47 pm »
How you making out with the new grupo, MBE? My experience with any changes on the handlebars is they feel like hell for the first ride, but after that you adapt. Only change I never took to was shortening the bars on my mountain bike.

Just got through two weeks of the worst flu ever. Bike's going to feel like one of those old grocery delivery jobs when I get back on it.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2007, 09:01:06 pm »
How you making out with the new grupo, MBE? My experience with any changes on the handlebars is they feel like hell for the first ride, but after that you adapt. Only change I never took to was shortening the bars on my mountain bike.

Just got through two weeks of the worst flu ever. Bike's going to feel like one of those old grocery delivery jobs when I get back on it.

Went a bit better today to be honest.  I did about 40 miles with about 1800 foot of climb and was getting into it by the end.  I still think the brakes are slightly too far forward to give a comfortable riding position on the drops though.  Overall, I think the Shimano is preferable.  The other Bianchi (the 1885) is also better than the Via Nirone.  It seems to 'give' more and produce far less vibration despite the Nirone having a carbon/Kevlar mix in the forks to supposedly dampen out road buzz.  Maybe the all carbon bars on the 1885 help in that regard though? 

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2007, 09:35:53 pm »
For me, it's longevity where campy has it all over shimano. We all speak from personal experience and mine with shimano has been mixed. As for carbon versus whatever, I'm still on steel and suffer enough with saddle soreness to want to avoid anything stiffer. 23mm tyres at 90psi give more than enough road feel as far as I'm concerned.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Pheeny

« Reply #243 on: December 1, 2007, 04:43:21 pm »
should be on the front page this...

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #244 on: December 1, 2007, 10:09:03 pm »
big up the cycling massif
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Pheeny

« Reply #245 on: December 1, 2007, 11:37:12 pm »
Crappy weather means that its 2 weeks running that I've not been out with the club on a Sunday morning.Some good training Sat morning on the way home from work though,due to a very strong wind I was home more than 15mins later than normal.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #246 on: December 2, 2007, 10:24:14 pm »
Can't wait to have my bike again over Christmas. I miss her :'(

Offline RedJedi

• Kopite
« Reply #247 on: December 3, 2007, 04:32:22 pm »

Hello again

It's been a while since a asked for advice on what bike to get, and I finally got one a few weeks ago.

I got myself a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with flat bars. The same as their road bike but with flat bars. It had to be a Bianchi after seeing one go past me as if I was standing still, and the green it comes in is beautiful.

Mine was a 2006 model and was on sale at £399, and it came in the Liquigas team colours. A bit in your face to start with but it definitely grows on you.

Since then I have spent all available money on different accessories and new clothes (especially now winter is here). All I really want now, (well for the moment anyway) are some clipless pedals and shoes.

Dear Santa.........(although this never works for me so it will be more like "Dear Me...." )

Fernando Torres - Turning Kopites gay since 2007

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: December 3, 2007, 06:11:34 pm »

I got myself a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with flat bars. The same as their road bike but with flat bars. It had to be a Bianchi after seeing one go past me as if I was standing still, and the green it comes in is beautiful.

Nice!  I've got a Via Nirone too.  I'd deffo go for drop bars though and you can get these pretty cheap and put them on your bike to give you another option.  You've got loads more hand positions with dropsies plus the ability to get down (James Brown!) and out of the air so you can go much faster.  Good on you for getting the Bianchi though.  What a class make of bike she is! 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline RedJedi

• Kopite
« Reply #249 on: December 4, 2007, 12:29:26 pm »
I did consider the drops, but I didn't feel comfortable on them, and as I'm commuting through London every day, the upright position helps me see the idiots on the road.
Nice!  I've got a Via Nirone too.......Good on you for getting the Bianchi though.  What a class make of bike she is! 

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours  :P
Fernando Torres - Turning Kopites gay since 2007

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: December 4, 2007, 03:26:15 pm »

If I knew how to post a picture, I'd show you both of them (I've got a Via Nirone and an 1885). 

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: December 5, 2007, 04:50:17 pm »
I did consider the drops, but I didn't feel comfortable on them, and as I'm commuting through London every day, the upright position helps me see the idiots on the road.
I've got a set of those extra brake levers on the flat part of my drops. Perfect for commuting, and I've still got the drops for the long haul and windy days. Also, I find narrow drops better for squeezing through little gaps.

I sincerely believe drops also make a bike much less attractive to thieves (if it's not an out-and-out racer).
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #252 on: December 5, 2007, 05:55:53 pm »
I sincerely believe drops also make a bike much less attractive to thieves (if it's not an out-and-out racer).

Not any more, not here anyway. Thieves are well in tune with what sells, and drops are back in. Biggest laugh is all the people offloading their ancient ten-speeds as, wait for it, "vintage" and asking about as much as they paid for it back in the 70s. Even funnier, people are buying them at the asking price. Wait until they try to get replacement parts.

Pheeny

« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2007, 04:33:31 pm »
Just got a cracking shirt off the missus.

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2007, 05:00:23 pm »
I need to improve my leg strength since I get tired way before I even run out of breath. What's the best way to do it? Keep riding, or do weights?

Pheeny

« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2007, 07:14:35 pm »
I need to improve my leg strength since I get tired way before I even run out of breath. What's the best way to do it? Keep riding, or do weights?
do more hills.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #256 on: January 3, 2008, 09:27:12 pm »
Just got a cracking shirt off the missus.

she'll put up a bigger fight when you move down to the panties.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #257 on: January 3, 2008, 09:55:28 pm »
I've just bought a bike, a Scott Hybrid. Don't know much about bikes but it looks nice and he sold it well!

I really want to get into some decent riding mainly as a source of fitness, I had two discs replaced in my back a couple of weeks ago and once I learn to walk properly again, I'll definitely be on it and asking some questions

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #258 on: January 3, 2008, 10:52:43 pm »
pheen - you got a link to the shirt? predictor lotto perchance?

and 7777 just ask away. my latest bike purchase is:
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Pheeny

« Reply #259 on: January 4, 2008, 04:27:18 pm »
pheen - you got a link to the shirt? predictor lotto perchance?

and 7777 just ask away. my latest bike purchase is:
Just a specialized cycle shirt.But just got back from the Cycle shop with a new pair of waterproof boots.Ill post a photo later.Got them for almost 1/2 price too.

« Last Edit: January 4, 2008, 04:31:26 pm by Pheeny »

Offline RED-EAZY

• Kopite
« Reply #260 on: January 4, 2008, 05:08:30 pm »
has any body got onto the deal with the goverment and your work looking at doing it this year. you pay for half your bike and the govemnet pay for the other half upto 1000 quid
as long as your work agrees to do it to say you will use it to cycle to work
not bad i think.
also any one on here done the c2c from whithaven to newcastle and keen cyclist out there its a great ride
We don't need Gerrard against madrid anyway, they are shite

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: January 4, 2008, 05:16:06 pm »
Off to Gran Canaria tomorrow for a week's solid warm weather cycling!  Cannae wait! 

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: January 4, 2008, 08:04:43 pm »
those boots look fab! i got my replacement overshoes sent yesterday, but still no sign of my winter-proof tights - bah!

c2c is a very long term/optimistic/fantasy goal. but i'm fancying mbe's choice atm.

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: January 4, 2008, 08:27:13 pm »
those boots look fab! i got my replacement overshoes sent yesterday, but still no sign of my winter-proof tights - bah!

c2c is a very long term/optimistic/fantasy goal. but i'm fancying mbe's choice atm.

You fancy doing a C2C?  I've done three so far, one the actual C2C route and the others of my own devising, and have planned this years already.  I find the actual C2C route to be tedious beyond compare, so we've planned a route taking us from Morecambe to Scarborough (just north of Filey actually) in June (actual date to be decided).  Day one is the toughest taking us to Masham and is around 100k with about 1800 m of climb.  Day two has a similar amount of distance but much less climbing. 

If you want my opinion, give the official C2C a swerve and make your own route up or check out the Walney to Wear or the newer Hadrian's wall thing.  If you want details on any of my previous routes (although they all start in Morecambe for convenience sake!) let me know and I'll happily tell you how to avoid the misery of the North East sections on the official thing. 

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: January 4, 2008, 08:57:01 pm »
cool - thanks mbe! i hope you are still posting on rawk by the time i get up to distance and climbing ability! btw what sort of bike did you use for it?

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 4, 2008, 09:15:07 pm »
First time I went from Morecambe (what are the odds?) to Middlesbrough, well, Saltburn by the Sea but it doesn't have the same ring to it, on a big heavy MTB which was totally unsuited to the task but I was very fit and made it with few problems apart from a crash outside Guisborough which cost me a fair bit of skin!  The "proper" C2C (how I disliked that route!) I did on a Trek 700 but the route is not road-bike friendly despite all the sites claiming it is.  There are many nice parts to this route, especially the tough climb up Hartshead Moor and the bleak scenery of the North Pennines but the sections through Consett, Stanley, Washington and Sunderland have to be the dirtiest, mankiest, unfriendliest cycling sections it's ever been my misfortune to ride on.  Even the sections in the Lake District are road-bike unfriendly and I ended up having to make large detours which cost me plenty of time. 

This year I'm doing it on my new Bianchi which is actually described as a C2C and is a pure thoroughbred road bike although not as comfortable as my 1885 beauty.  As stated, I've made my own route up despite most of the roads on day two running predominantly North-South rather than East-West so some frustrations will be felt at seemingly going out of our way to get where we're going.  Either way, we'll get there!   

Pheeny

« Reply #266 on: January 5, 2008, 10:56:54 pm »
Been thinking of trading in my Cyclo-cross bike and getting me something like this

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #267 on: January 6, 2008, 02:28:48 pm »
Pheeny do it!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #268 on: January 6, 2008, 07:04:52 pm »
Here is mine, made up with it, can't wait to get out on it seriously,

Went out on it today for the 1st time, only for a short ride, not done anything since my back op and thought my lungs were going to blow through my chest!

Pheeny

« Reply #269 on: January 8, 2008, 03:16:03 pm »
Just ordered this beaut...

FRAME     M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 alloy hanger
REAR SHOCK    N/A
FORK    RockShox Tora 302 SL, 100mm, 32mm Cr-Mo stanchions and alloy steerer, Mag lower, coil spring, preload adj., LO w/ reb. adj.
HEADSET    1 1/8" threadless
STEM    Specialized 3D forged alloy, four bolt, 31.8mm, 7 degree rise
HANDLEBARS    Specialized alloy butted 31.8mm XC rise w/ graphic, 640mm wide, 8 degree back, 8 degree up sweep
TAPE/GRIPS    Specialized Enduro, dual density Kraton
FRONT BRAKE    Avid SD3, forged alloy "V"
REAR BRAKE    Avid SD3, forged alloy "V"
BRAKE LEVERS    Avid FR-5
FRONT DERAILLEUR    Shimano Deore FD-M530, 34.9mm clamp
REAR DERAILLEUR    Shimano LX RD-M581, SGS cage
SHIFT LEVERS    Shimano Deore SL-M530 trigger
CASSETTE FREEWHEEL    Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34t
CHAIN    KMC X9, 1/2" x 3/32" w/ reusable Missing Link
CRANKSET    Shimano FC-M442-8, replaceable rings w/ alloy outer, Octalink Spline
CHAINRINGS    44A/32S/22S
BOTTOM BRACKET    Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 118mm for 50mm chainline
PEDALS    Specialized alloy 1pc body and cage, 9/16"
RIMS    Specialized/Alex RH 26, double wall, CNC w/ eyelets
FRONT HUB    Specialized Hi Lo disc, 28h, CNC flange and disc mount, polished races, alloy QR
REAR HUB    Specialized Hi Lo disc, cassette, 32h, CNC flanges and disc mount, polished races, alloy QR
SPOKES    1.8mm (15g) stainless, alloy nipples, black
FRONT TIRE    Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
REAR TIRE    Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 26x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
TUBES    Specialized schraeder valve
SADDLE    Specialized Indie XC, 143mm width
SEAT POST    Specialized butted alloy, two bolt micro adjust head, 30.9mm
SEAT BINDER    Specialized alloy w/ QR, brass washer
« Last Edit: January 8, 2008, 03:21:55 pm by Pheeny »

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #270 on: January 8, 2008, 09:36:16 pm »
is that the hardrock or rockhopper? looks a nice lightweight setup.

Pheeny

« Reply #271 on: January 9, 2008, 04:37:15 pm »
that be a rockhopper.

Pheeny

« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2008, 02:44:30 pm »
just picked it up and here it is.Not got disc brakes but I'm planning on getting them later.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2008, 06:06:41 pm »
very nice. the discs are good if  you're riding serious trails with steep downhill but otherwise you might prefer the v-brakes since they are much lighter so make your bike better for climbing. that rockhopper will be a competent xc machine.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #274 on: January 13, 2008, 02:11:58 am »
Specialized Rockhopper! Man, that bike's been around in one form or another for nearly 30 years. Looks like a far cry from the $700 original, but it was a good bike even back then. Enjoy, Pheeny!

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #275 on: January 13, 2008, 10:56:28 am »
Stumpjumper was the original, not quite 30 years though, I think the first model came out in 1981:

This is this years top of the range stumpy:

Offline Pym

• Main Stander
« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2008, 11:06:18 am »
So I 'rediscovered' cycling a few months ago and it's been my main form of transport around London. Much faster than buses and great fun. All was going great until the other day when I was run over! I've inherited a Dawes racer bike from the 70s, bit run down but still goes like the clappers.

So I'm riding along a main road, bright lights front and back, and I see a car approaching fast from a side street. Too late to swerve for me and he literally just doesn't stop. Luckily as I kinda saw it coming I managed to save myself a bit as the car only hit my left leg and I supermanned over the handlebars into the road. Loads of people helped me out and one guy made sure the driver didn't just drive off when he went to park his car as it has been stuck in the middle of the road. 

I'm fine apart from scratches and bruises luckily, but it's just taken a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me, especially with how many shit drivers there are around here, as I'm now uber paranoid that every driver is gonna do something stupid.... :wanker

Pheeny

« Reply #277 on: January 13, 2008, 04:17:54 pm »
did a 40k ride with the club this morning (on the race bike not the MTB) was very windy with gusts up to 28mph.Hard work but enjoyable.Also been tinkering with the MTB all afternoon,think I might have to buy a new stem as I cant get the handlebar height right.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2008, 04:33:30 pm »
did a 40k ride with the club this morning (on the race bike not the MTB) was very windy with gusts up to 28mph.Hard work but enjoyable.Also been tinkering with the MTB all afternoon,think I might have to buy a new stem as I cant get the handlebar height right.

you might be able to get away with adding or removing a couple of spacers between the stem and headset?

These for example

Pheeny

« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2008, 05:56:34 pm »
you might be able to get away with adding or removing a couple of spacers between the stem and headset?

These for example
already done that. :wave